Chapter 8

Photograph

Somehow, my apartment feels emptier. Or is it me who feels empty? There is no question, my heart is aching. My heart feels extremely empty. The fact that the only hope I held onto was taken away from me.

I went to my room and picked up the box under my bed. With shaking hands, I opened the dusty box. The first thing I saw was the old picture of us. It was our D-day. It was our first day. The first day of us dating. I can still remember it vividly.

---
I placed the bouquet of flower behind the grand piano. I quickly sent you a message as I waited patiently behind the curtain of the auditorium. My hands were shaking. My whole body's trembling. I was beyond nervous.

"Seulgi?", your voice resounded throughout the empty auditorium.

I opened the curtain revealing myself and the grand piano. You looked like a lost puppy when you entered the auditorium but you instantly smiled when you saw me. I grinned like a fool. You look stunning even in your plain shirt and denim jeans. You stood in front of the grand piano while I started playing the piano nervously.

You were immersed in the music that you started to close your eyes. I stopped playing then as I touched your face. You were looking at me questioningly.

"I want you to look at me unnie", I said as I looked in your eyes. You continued to look at me with confusion.

I started playing the instrument with my eyes not leaving your face. With an erratically beating heart, I started to run my fingers lightly over the keys creating a sweet melody.


Neon nal apeuge haneun sarami anya
( You are not a person who hurts me)

I started singing with my eyes fixated on you.

Sueobsi manheun nanaldeul sokeul Banjjakigo isseo hangsang gomaweosseo
( Inside the countless days, you are sparkling – I’m always thankful)

My lips curving into a smile as I was singing. The notes leaving my mouth ever so smoothly.

 Amudo ihaehal su eobsneun yaegigettjiman Geureohjiman
( It’s a story that no one else can understand but)

You were looking at me with the same gentleness while I was singing. My heart starts picking up it's pace as the song reaches it's peak.

 gaggeum michidorok nega ango shipeojil ddaega iss-eo
( But sometimes, there are times when I want to hug you like crazy)

I wanted to close my eyes so badly but I wanted to look at your eyes as well. I wanted you to feel the sincerity of every word I utter.

Neo gateun sarameun neo bakke eobseosseo
Maeum dul gosiragon eobsneun i sesang soke
( Only you can be a person like you
 In this world that has no place for my heart)

You stayed still even when I finished singing and playing the piano. You were still staring at me, at my eyes as if you are awaiting for what I'm about to do next. I crouched down as I picked up the flowers I hid behind the grand piano.

"You always take good care of me and showered me with your love unnie. I didn't know when it first started but I just..one day, I just woke up wanting to hold you, hug you, even kiss you. I couldn't see anything else but you. My heart beats like crazy everytime you are around. It may sound selfish but I don't want anyone else to be at the receiving end of your attention but me. I know it sounds crazy. But my heart is about to burst if I continue to keep this feelings from you. I like you unnie. More than a dongsaeng-unnie,More than a sunbae-hoobae, more than a friend. I like you and I wanted to date you, if it's okay with you?", I said as I extended my hand that holds the bouquet of your favorite flower.

You weren't responding. You were staring at me blankly. As if I did not even exist. And I was scared. I was scared that you might reject me, that things may turn out awkwardly between the two of us. I started to question my decision. I should've held it in. I should've kept my feelings all to myself. I shouldn't have burdened you. My thoughts started to run wild with your unresponsiveness. Then suddenly, I was pulled and the next thing I knew or rather felt was soft lips against mine. My eyes went wide with the sudden realization. My head starts spinning. Time seemed to stop. My tummy's feeling strange. It was quick but it felt long enough for me to know your answer to my question.

You looked at me shyly. You were blushing and I think that was cute.

"Was that a yes unnie?", I asked rather excitedly to which you answered with a nod and a breathtaking smile.

I pulled you into a tight hug. You wrapped your arms around me as well. I was ecstatic. When I pulled away, I held onto your face as I placed a kiss on your lips. It was slow, gentle and careful. It was sweet. I pulled you closer without breaking the kiss. My hand s behind your waist as I deepen the kiss. I couldn't get enough of it. The taste of your mouth was beyond what I imagined. We both pulled away breathless.

"You don't know how much I waited for this to happen, unnie", I said with ragged breath. You smiled at me with that innocent smile. And slowly, you intertwined our fingers.

"Me too, Seulgi-ah. You don't know how much I prayed for this to happen", you said with yet another smile
.

---
I smiled bitterly as I reminisced that day. How you made me feel. How ecstatic I was. How I felt like the luckiest girl ever.

I set aside the picture as another thing caught my attention. It was a silver ring with our nicknames engraved on it. I touched your engraved name 'my baechu' on the ring I used to wear. I picked up the other ring with the engraved name 'my seulgom'. Tears blurred my vision as I started to recall the night I gave this ring to you.
 


---
"Baeby, wake up", I said as I peppered you with light kisses. You remained unresponsive giving me no choice. I kissed your lips gently tugging your lower lip, you returned the kiss with the same intensity. You placed your arms behind my neck pulling me to lie on top of you. You deepened the kiss as you started biting my lip asking for entrance to which I willingly give to you. Your tongue started to explore my mouth leaving me breathless. Your lips soon travelled down my neck kissing the most sensitive part of my body probably leaving another mark that would last for days. After placing a gentle kiss against my neck, you wrapped me up in your warmth through your hug.

"Goodmorning", you said cutely. And it takes every ounce of self-control for me not to kiss your lips once again.

"It's almost time for dinner now Baeby, take a bath and get dressed. We need to go somewhere", I said as I placed a peck on your lips.

"Not until you kiss me fully", you said with a pout. Who am I to deny you of your privilege to kiss me as your girlfriend. I placed yet another kiss that soon turned out to be heated.

With much persuasion, you got up, took a bath and started to get dressed as well. My mind almost went wild when I saw your dress that fails to hide your assets.

"Joohyun-ah, are you trying to kill me?", I asked to which you answered with a playful grin.

We went to the N Seoul tower to have our dinner in a fancy restaurant. It took everything in me to tear those eyes away from those who blatantly stared at you. I was sulking but you just laughed and pulled me into another kiss.

After our dinner, we decided to go to the top of the tower. It was beautiful just like how I imagined. But nothing is as beautiful as you. I took the box from my pocket and showed it to you.

"Joohyun-ah, baeby, I took you here to give this to you", I said as I opened the box containing the couple ring.

"I wanted to seal our love with this couple ring in a place where we can overlook the entirety of the city. It may sound cheesy but I wanted to show you off into the city, into the night sky and stars above. I am lucky to have you in my life Joohyun-ah. I couldn't ask for anything else. Happy first anniversary Baeby", I said as I looked at you sincerely.

You started to panic and it confused me. Your brows knitting and I started to panic as well. Is it too soon? It's not like I'm asking you to marry me. Is this too much?

"Seulgi-ah. I'm sorry..", you said, my face fell as fear started to creep in my heart.

"I forgot it's our anniversary. I was too caught up with school requirements I ended up forgetting what day it is today", you continued to explain. I instantly felt relieved.

"It's okay, Joohyun ah. You are more than enough of a gift to me. You are the best gift I ever had Joohyun-ah. So don't feel sorry okay?", I said and you nodded your head reluctantly. You smiled awkwardly as I placed the ring on your finger and you did the same to me.

"It's really okay, Joohyun-ah. You wearing this ring is more than enough for me", I said to which you answered with a teary-eyed smile. I wiped away your tear as I placed a gentle kiss against your forehead.

"I love you, Seulgi-ah"


---
Oh how I wish I could turn back time. How I wish I can hear you utter those three words to me again. How I wish I was not dumb. I would've given up anything and everything for you. That's how much you mean to me. That's how much I love you, Joohyun-ah.

---

Author's note:

The song Seulgi sang was her cover of 'Sometimes I wanna hug you like crazy' by autumn vacation. I suggest you listen to the song while reading. Seulrene moment for you guys. I hope you'll like it. Comment down for feedbacks. Would gladly appreciate that 😊