Chapter 13

Photograph

Irene’s POV:

My thoughts were interrupted when I felt a slight nudge from the girl beside me.

 

”Seulgi, from the very first day she met you, til this very instant, loves you still unnie. What happened 5 years ago, it was a mistake that she sincerely regret. For the last 5 years, I saw her suffer. I watched her crumble, suffer and punished herself to no ends. I watched as the bright Seulgi lost herself”, Wendy said while staring blankly at the painting. 

 

She turned her head and looked at me straight in the eyes.

”I no longer want to see Seulgi suffer unnie. I want her to be happy just like you. I want her to have someone who would love her and make her realize that she deserves to be loved as well. You have a family now, unnie. Don’t ... dont look for Seulgi anymore. You will just hurt her”, she said with sincerity.

 

”I..I still love her Wendy. No matter how much I tried to move on, I can’t. Seulgi is my everything. I know everything was my fault to begin with. If only I trusted her. If only I gave her the chance, we wouldn’t waste our 5 yrs apart from each other”, I said as tears start to cloud my vision.

 

 

“She said you have a child now unnie”, Wendy said with a serious tone.

 

“Seolhyun is probably the reason why I was able to survive the last 5yrs without Seulgi. When I went back to my hometown, I was a mess. I didn’t have a purpose to live. And just like that, God gave me a purpose, He gave me Seolhyun”

 

 

“What about the father?”, Wendy asked.

 

“What about the father?” i repeated not understanding her question.

 

“The father of your child unnie”

 

“Seolhyun is not my biological daughter, Wendy. She’s my niece. After Seulgi and I broke up, I went back to my hometown not just to heal my broken heart but to attend a funeral as well. Seolhyun’s mom and dad got into a car accident. My parents are too old to take care of my niece. I was so close to giving up my life as well but then Seolhyun came. What would’ve happened to Seolhyun if I ended my life? Who would take care of her? Hyun knows I am her aunt but when she started playing with other kids she kept on asking why she doesn’t have a mom. I explained everything to her. She asked if I can be her mom instead. How could I turn down her request”, I explained.

 

“What? She’s not your...”

 

“No, she’s not my biological daughter. I couldn’t love anyone else but Seulgi”

 

“Oh my god, unnie. Seulgi thought.. Here’s the card. That’s the exact address of Seulgi, unnie. You have to go after her. You have to bring her back here”, she exclaimed with excitement.

 

I watched at the retreating back of the excited Wendy as she fished out her phone.

 

“Hello. Yah! Emergency meeting. Come to my apartment later”