Chapter 10

Photograph

She stares at the child sleeping soundly in the bed. For the nth time, her mind wanders once again. Her mistake five years ago hunts her once again. Fate must've been playing a joke with her.

It has been months since she moved back to Seoul. She was not expecting to cross paths with her again. She was not prepared to face her once again. The longing for the only person she ever loved came back full blown.

She closes her eyes as she try to recall that fateful night. It was their school reunion. For the first time after five long years, she decided to attend the said reunion. It was good, the ambiance, the people, the chit chats, it was worth it. But beyond anything else, it was the person she's been longing for the past years that made the night. She changed and that's a fact. The girl who used to ooze with confidence and charisma cowered infront of the crowd. It was shocking. The girl who used to love the crowd and the attention, now hides in her hoodie and behind her petite friend. What was her name again? Wendy? Son Wendy. But if there's one thing that didn't change, it was the girl's good heart.

---
"Seolhyun, what happened? Why are you drenched?", she asked

"Omma, I fell into the water. Bear-unnie saved me", the child answered as she shivered.

"Bear unnie?", she asked in confusion.

"Yes, bear unnie", her child confirmed.

She shakes her head at the name the child gave someone who saved her. They were about to go home when a commotion started inside the restaurant. People huddled in one spot, or rather on someone.

"Kang Seulgi?!", a voice echoed loud enough for her to hear. It was enough for her to halt her steps and look back. The crowd was too thick she couldn't see past the people.

When the crowd started to move, she caught a glimpse of a certain person. She was dressed in a plain black hoodie and a simple jeans. Her face covered by the hoodie and her back facing her making it impossible for her to see the person's face. But what caught her attention was the person is as drenched as her child. And it all clicked. She was the one who saved her child. She was the Bear-unnie Seolhyun's been mentioning.

Three figures went closer to the girl as they protectively surround the girl from the crowd. The tallest reprimanding the people to come closer. She watched as the girl started shaking. She watched as one of the three girls held the girl's hand. She watched as the girl stared at the face of the person holding her hand. Then her eyes shifted, their eyes meeting. However, she cannot read the girl's mind. The girl averted her gaze as she burried it in the petite girl's shoulder. She can still remember that girl. She was her bestfriend. Son Wendy. She watched as Wendy and Heechul-oppa guided the fragile girl to exit the restaurant. She watched as the girl held onto Wendy's hand as they exited the restaurant. She remained frozen even when the crowd started to disperse, even when the girl was no longer in sight. She remained frozen not believing what just happened.
---


Tears start streaming from her eyes as she think about the girl. Seulgi. Kang Seulgi. Her Seulgi. It has been years but her love for the girl didn't change, didn't diminished.

She bites her lips as she tried to stiffle the cries that are about to break free. As she can't stop the tears, she decided to go to the bathroom and sob freely. Her heart still aches. It still keeps on breaking apart at the thought of the said girl.

She opened the faucet to drown her cries. She was careful not to wake the sleeping child. She does not want her to worry nor ask questions she was not prepared to answer.

She grabs her phone as she dial the only person who would understand her. After a couple of rings, the person on the other line picked up the call.

"Noona?"

"I saw her. I saw Seulgi, Bogum. I saw her with my own two eyes", she said or rather wailed.

"Noona, where are you?", the man asked worriedly.

"I wanted to hug her, to run into her arms but it was all too late", she said.
 


"Noona, are you home? I will be there. Just wait for me noona", the man said trying to sound calm but failed to do so.

A couple of minutes and she heard a soft knock from the bathroom door. It was not surprising to see the worried man. The man was the only one who had an access in their apartment except for her. He was her friend, a close friend. He stood beside her despite everything that happened.

She was well aware of the man's feelings towards her. He was a good man but she only sees him as her younger brother. After all the rejection, the man accepted it and settled as being a friend. He just couldn't abandon her despite the heart aches. He was well aware. Her heart was already taken. Her heart belongs to someone else. They may be miles apart but her heart still beats for that one person. Distance only made her grow fonder for the said girl.

She wrapped her arms around the man as she sob uncontrollably.

"I saw her after five long years and it still hurts", she said with tears streaming down from her face. The man didn't utter a word but instead her back in a comforting manner. He allowed her to pour all her frustrations and pent up emotions. After minutes that felt like hours, he guided her as they went to the living room.

He took a glass of water and urged her to drink. He allowed her to calm down before he spoke.

"Do you want to talk to her?", he asked to which she answered with silence.

"I think it's about time noona"

"I don't know what to say. I don't know what to do, Bogum. What if she moved on? What if she has someone else already?", she asked anxiously.

"It's better to know noona than to remain clueless. Don't you want an answer to all the 'what ifs' in your head?", he asked as the woman remained silent.

"Noona, for the past five years I saw you cry and laugh as you yearn for her. It's difficult, noona. Just tell me if you're ready, and I would find a way for you two to meet", he said as he pats her shoulder. She didn't argue. Bogum has a point. She's been running away for the past five years. She made a mistake, she knows. But it's about time she make things right. She's just praying that things would still work out this time.

---

Author's note:

Trying to write in a third person's POV. Is it Okay? Is it weird? Comment down please