Chapter 3

Photograph

"I can't believe you would do this to me!", she shouts with so much anger.

"Let me explain Joohyun-ah", I said as I reach out to her. But she just dodge my hand.

"How can you do this to me?! I trusted you" she said with her face flushed, eyes starting to water. I immediately engulfed her in a hug but she instead shoved me away from her.

"Don't you dare touch me with your filthy hands!", she said with tears running down her face. She went to get her luggage and shoved every piece of cloth she owns.

"No, no, no Joohyun-ah. Don't leave me please. It was a mistake", I said as I started to panic but all my pleas fell in deaf ears.

"Joohyun-ah!", I shouted and she immediately halt packing.

"Don't. Please. I love you Joohyun-ah", I said as tears start streaming down from my face.

"Love? Ha! Stop kidding me, Seulgi. You know nothing about love. Do me a favor. Do not appear in front of me ever again. I hate you. I ing hate you!", she said as she closed her luggage and walked out the door. I couldn't move. I couldn't run after her. I was rooted to the floor. And all I did was look at her retreating back as I sob uncontrollably
.

RING RING

I reached out to turn off the alarm clock. It was just another dream. A nightmare haunting me. I massaged my forehead to ease the headache. The nightmares are coming back. I glanced at my bedside table, it was past 10am.

Have you ever felt like you are living but not at all? My life has been empty. My heart has been hollow. It was like living for the sake of waiting for my ending.

---

The smell of fresh air soothes my entire being. I was staring at the Han River trying to find my solitude. Kids running around, couples holding hands, group of kids laughing at some joke thrown by their friends, family having their quality time together. I smiled to myself. I was alone, always been alone.

I took out my sketchpad as I start drawing scene after scene. My favorite scene? A girl blushing as a boy placed a gentle kiss against her cheek. It was one of the sweetest scene. The innocence of two kids discovering the beauty of first love.

How did I know it was first love? Simple. It was a split image of what we used to be. I can still remember the first time I kissed you. It was brief but it seemed long. It was the sweetest kiss we ever shared. I was hesitant at first, but my feelings outshone my fears. My heart was pounding against my chest that time.  It was as if time stood still. And when you smiled at me after, I was sure I am the luckiest person alive.

As I finished drawing, I decided to hang around a bit and enjoy the solitude. I was lying in the grass with my arms covering my eyes enjoying the chill of the air.

"Seulgi-unnie!", a familiar voice was calling for me. I slowly remove my arm to take a peek of the person calling me.

"Seulgi-unnie", she said gleefully as she hug me or rather tackled my body against the ground.

"Yah Kim Yerim! Get off of me", I said while suppressing the laugh from escaping my lips. But instead of letting go, she just hold onto me tighter.

"Unnie, I missed you.", she said as she continue to latch onto me.

"Okay, You have to let go of me Yerimie. People are staring", I said as I try to pry her hands away.

"No! You would runaway again!", she said whining. By then, I was laughing uncontrollably. This kid never grow up. Still the same Yerim from 5 years ago.

"Okay, I won't runaway. Just...let's just sit like normal people", I said as soon as I stopped laughing.

Sure enough she let go of me allowing me to sit properly. But it was short-live because she started clinging into my arm this time. I just chuckled.

"Aigoo, you never changed", I said as I ruffled her hair. She just glared at me as she fished out her phone and start typing.

"Just wait til Joy-unnie comes here", she said while holding my arm tightly.

---

"Where have you been and what have you been doing for the past 5 years that you didn't even bother to contact us?",  Joy said while crossing her arms with Yeri mimicking her action as well. 

Both of them are sitting infront of me while looking at me seriously. The cafe suddenly feels like an interrogation room. Yes, we are at a cafe. Both of them literally dragged me from Han River to the cafe where  Byul unnie and I hang out a couple of days ago.

"I was busy working. You know, 'Welcome to the world of adulthood'", I explained.

"Not valid. Try again", Joy said.

"What? I'm not lying", I said. They were looking at me skeptically as if they are not convince with my reason.

"Seriously, I was busy working too unnie. But I always find time to play with Yeri", Joy said while Yerim nodded. I was feeling guilty. After graduating, I stopped all communications with the rest of my schoolmates and friends, including this two evil maknae. I was struggling and I didn't want anyone to see me that way. I was far from the Seulgi that they once knew. I hang my head down low, admitting my mistake.

"We were so worried about you, unnie. You were not your usual self for the past weeks then right after graduation, you went missing on us. We tried looking for you but its difficult to find a person that does not even want to be found", Joy said.

"We wanted to be there for you too, Unnie. You took care of us whenever we're in trouble, we wanted to do the same for you", Yeri said. The two satans transformed into an angel and are looking at me with sincerity.

"I really am sorry", I finally said.

"That said, you should treat us. You were busy earning money for the past 5 years, a dinner should not be a problem", That was quick. From a sincere angel, they are both back to the unpredictable playful satan that they were.

We went to a fine dining restaurant and man, this two almost emptied my pocket. After dinner, we should've went on separate ways. But the two does not intend to. They went home with me. Told me they are curious since I was working my off for 5 long years.

"This is a pretty huge apartment suite Unnie. We can even camp here", Joy said.

"That's right Joy unnie's apartment is too small. I should probably move in here", Yeri said.

"Yah!" Joy said as she threw a pillow over Yeri's head. And this is what I missed. This kind of atmosphere. Where I don't have to think about the past. Being with these two gave me enough reason to smile. And maybe, cutting communications with them was not the wisest decision I ever made.

---

Author's note:

Let's take it slow 😊