Chapter 2

Photograph

Another day, another 86,400 seconds spent thinking about you. How are you? Are you doing fine? Have you been eating well? Are you thinking of me the way I think about you? Too many questions left unanswered. I was always wondering about you, about us, about what used to be us.

I didn't know when it started, or rather stopped, the tears that used to run from my eyes. Have I moved on? Perhaps not. I still think about you. But I learned to accept it. The fact that you are no longer mine. The fact that I am yours but you are no longer mine. The fact that you dont want me in your life. It still but I learned to accept it.

I walked inside my working room and touched the blank canvass. I should probably start painting my life. I should probably start moving on and creating new happy memories. I know I should but I still can't. I can still remember the first time I held a paintbrush. I knew nothing about painting. But somehow, everytime I saw you I was always inspired to draw, to paint a perfection like you. You were my muse. You were the definition of perfection.

I closed my eyes as I cleared my thoughts. I sat in front of the blank canvass and prepared my painting materials. I picked up the paintbrush and started to create light at the canvass. The movement of my hands are light and precise. I pictured it perfectly in my mind. Two naive teenage who doesn't care about the world. But somehow, everything just brings me back to you. This scene is all too familiar. I decided to take a break from painting and from reminiscing the past.

I went back to my room only to find my phone ringing. An unknown number. Though hesitant, I decided to take the call.

"Kangseul! Guess who's back?", her cheerful voice gave it away.

"Byul unnie?", I asked not believing my ears.

"You bet! I just arrived this morning Kangseul! Let's hang out and I'm not taking no for an answer", she said firmly, excitement lacing her tone. Who am I to deny her. It's been ages since I last saw her.

"You haven't changed a bit unnie. Fine, I'll clear my busy schedule for you", I said while chuckling.

"I'll message you the address and don't forget to invite Wendy too. She might kill us both if we dont", she said then hangs up the phone. I quickly send a message to Wendy and prepared myself.

The cafe was not too far from my place. After driving for about 10 minutes, I arrived in the cafe. The sweet scent hit my nose as soon as I entered the cafe. The place is cozy and bright, the kind of cafe that college students would want to go to. Wendy and Byul unnie was seated at the far corner.

"This place is pretty good", I said as I sat down beside Wendy.

"Yes. This place was highly recommended by my friends. Their cakes are good and so are their coffees", Byul-unnie said excitedly.

After placing our order, we started catching up with each other's lives.

"So how are you and Solar-unnie?", I asked curiously.

"Well, Yongsun was pretty much the same. Just prettier", she said while grinning like an idiot. Wendy and I just gave her a disgusted look. We will never get used to her greasiness.

"She was a bit busy lately. Being a vocal coach is tough too. Especially for someone perfectionist like her", she said matter-of-factly.

"Why the sudden visit though?", Wendy asked after placing her phone inside her bag.

"Reunion?", Byul-unnie said while grinning.

"It's been years since I last attended. I miss our schoolmates and I've been curious about what they're up to. Yongsun wanted to join me but due to some conflicts with her schedule she can't. That's why I'm hoping that both of you would be there", she said while looking at both of us. Wendy was staring at me too as if she's waiting for another excuse from me.

"I can't unnie. I still have a lot of stuffs to do", I said without looking at them but I'm pretty much sure that they are both looking at me sympathetically.

"Come on Seul. It's been ages since we last hang out with our college friends. Don't you miss them?" she asked me.

"I do but I'm just..Im sorry unnie", I said with my head hanging low.

"Don't tell me it's still because of her", she said in disbelief. I keep my head down low. It's pointless. Lying with these two would be pointless. They both know me well.

"You have to learn to move on Seul. You can't just shut your door just because someone else walked out of you. I know you loved her but it's been 5 yrs already. You have to learn to give yourself another chance"

I wanted to say that I'm trying but I know I'm not. They knew I loved her but I don't think they know that I still do.

"Unnie's right Seul. I think it's about time for you to move forward. Don't punish yourself just because of a single mistake", Wendy said with much concern.

"That single mistake caused me everything. I lost everything because of it", I said in a low voice.

"Then why did you gave it up? Why did you gave her up?", Byul unnie asked.

"It was not a question whether it's my fault or not unnie. I didn't want to give her up. I wanted to hold onto her for as much as I can. But would I rather choose myself and hold onto her knowing full well that I'm the reason why she's hurting. I can't do that. I wanted her to be happy that's why I willingly let her go when she asked me"

"Then are you sure that she's happy?", Byul-unnie asked.

"I hope she is", I said while mustering up a smile.

The two of them just looked at me sympathetically. Wendy shifted the topic to a much lighter one. That's why I choose to dodge this topic as much as I can. It just brings out a gloomy atmosphere.