The News

What The Heart Desires

*Taemin’s POV*

 “Annyeong eomma, how are you?” I asked into the phone.

 “I’m good honey. How are you doing in America? Are you studies going well?”

 “Yeah mom, everything is going great. Um, I can’t exactly talk right now though. Can I call you back later?” My mother always chose the wrong times to call. Tiffany and I had been in the middle of a tickle/ pillow fight when she called. Now I sat behind her on the couch with my arms wrapped around her waist, while trying to end the phone conversation with my mother.

 “It can’t really wait Taemin. I have something important to tell you.”

 “What is it?” I sat up a little straighter. Tiffany looked at me worried when I tensed up.

 “Taemin, I’m glad you’ve enjoyed your time in America, but it’s time to come home. I know we told you a full year of school, and you still have three months left, but…”

 “But what mom?!” I shouted. Tiffany jumped in surprise.

 “It’s SM Entertainment. SHINee is going to start working on a new album to release and they need you to come back now to work. I’m sorry honey, but it’s totally out of my control…,”

 I didn’t say anything.

 “Honey, are you still there?”

 “Um, yeah mom, I’m still here. How soon?”

 “You have three days.”

 My heart stopped. Three days. How could I leave this beautiful girl in my arms in three days, possibly never to see her again?

 “Okay. I’ve see you then. Annyeong, eomma.”

 “Bye hone-,” I ended the call before she could finish.

 *Tiffany’s POV*

 When Taemin ended the call he just sat there staring straight ahead. His arms went limp around my waist.

 I was scared. I’d never seen Taemin like this before.

 “What’s wrong Tae?” I asked cautiously.

 “What? Oh, um, it’s nothing! Everything is totally fine. Yup, everything is fine,” he rambled once he finally snapped out of his daze.

 "Are you sure?”

 “Oh yeah, totally; nothing to worry about,” he said as he began to massage my shoulders, then kiss the back of my neck.

 I know you’re lying Taemin. You should know by now that I can read you. And right now you’re freaking out inside. Why can’t you just tell me…?

 “Well, uh, how bout you pick out a movie for us to watch, and I’ll go make some popcorn okay?” He got up and walked into the kitchen. I could’ve sworn I saw a tear rolling down his cheek.

 *Taemin’s POV*

 Thank goodness my kitchen has a door.

 As soon as I got into the kitchen, I let the tears fall. There was just no way I could hold in this much sadness. My heart was breaking, but I had to pull it together. I couldn’t let Tiffany know anything was wrong. I wiped away my tears as I salted and buttered the popcorn.

 “One bowl of salty, buttery goodness!” I said as I walked into the living room. I smiled at Tiffany, trying as hard as I could to suppress my sadness.

“Taemin, were you crying? Your eyes are all ready.”

 Crap.

 “Oh no, I just got some salt in my eye is all,” I said reassuringly. “So what movie are we watching?” I sat down, with my back between he armrest and the back of the couch, and motioned for Tiffany to come sit in front of me again.

 “Well, I wasn’t sure what kind of movie to choose, so I chose a scary, romantic comedy,” she said as she pressed play on the remote. Then she sat down, leaning back against my body with her head on my chest. I rested my arm down on the armrest, and she affectionately brushed her fingertips against mine.

 

-------------------------

 

At the scary parts she would turn and hide her face in my shirt. She wouldn’t look up until I told her it was safe to look.

 I loved when the funny parts came, because then I could listen to her sweet laugh.

 Out of all of them, romantic parts were my favorite. I would whisper cute things into her ear to make her giggle, glance up at me with big adoring eyes, or even get a kiss. Even though we only had the light of the TV to see by, somehow our lips would find each other.

 “You’re so much prettier than that girl could ever be,” I whispered, letting my breath tickle her neck, but I got no response. That’s what I realized that she had fallen asleep in my arms.

 “I’ll always love you yebo; no matter how far apart we are, you’ll always be close to my heart.” I kissed her on the head.

 As I listened to her steady breathing, my eyes began to close. I reached for the remote, turned off the TV, and let myself fall asleep on the couch, holding Tiffany in my arms.

 

-------------------------

 

*Author’s POV*

 2:00 am

 “I’m cold Taemin, hold me closer.”

 He smiled pulling her closer to his body.

 5:00 am

 “Hey Taemin… Taemin.”

 “What is it, yebo?”

 “I love you,” she whispered kissing him ever so lightly on the cheek.

 “I love you more,” he replied snuggling closer.