Dance From the Heart

What The Heart Desires

*Taemin’s POV*

School was… interesting…

Well, to start, I was late on the first day. Not just a few minutes late; three hours! Turns out staying up all night dancing in a totally different time zone really takes a toll on the body! Not to mention how much I ached from lying on the hardwood dance floor all night. Aigoo! The people are okay, but nobody’s really “friends” with anyone. I guess in the world of fame you can never be too careful. Unfortunately there’s still homework in America, and lots of it!

As soon as the last bell rang letting us out of class, I was gone! I zipped out the doors of the school, and started on my way home. My apartment is about 10 blocks away from the school. Not the worst, but not the best either.

However, on my way home something caught my eye. I was only three blocks away from my apartment, when I saw a sign stuck to the door of one of the buildings I was walking past.

“Auditions today”

It was a simple sign, but I was immediately drawn to it. I looked at the name etched into the glass door: Dance From the Heart Studios. Before I knew what I was doing, I swung open the door and stepped inside.

I was greeted by all the familiar sounds, smells, and sights of a dance studio. It was heaven to me. I walked up to the lady sitting at the front desk.

“Hello, where can I sign up for an audition?” I asked.

“Oh, I’m sorry, but auditions are over. They ended about an hour ago. Don’t get too down on yourself though, there’s always next year! How about a mint?” she motioned to a bowl of peppermints sitting on her desk.

“I’m all set, thanks,” I said. Well this lady isn’t going to be of any help, unless I’m having mint cravings. Is that even a real thing; a mint craving? I turned away from the desk. I was about to leave, but I decided to take a look around first. As I walked down the long corridor, I peaked into the classrooms on either side of the hall. Ballet here, jazz there, hip hop next to that… I stopped when I got to the classroom where contemporary dancing was taught.

“A Five, six, seven, eight,” I could hear the teacher counting off the beats through the wooden door as I watched the dancers move. As I kept watching, one dancer stood out to me more than all the others. She had long, dark brown hair and was of medium height. I watched as her body moved to the motions of the music. She was perfectly in-sync. It was one of the most beautiful things I had ever seen. Suddenly the music stopped and the door swung open.

“Can I help you?!” I was suddenly standing face to face with a very annoyed contemporary dance teacher.

“Um, uh, no I was just watching and…”

“Are you a part of this academy?”

“No, but-,”

“Then leave!” The teacher yelled at me. “We don’t appreciate little children interrupting our practices!”

“Wait just a minute!” The teacher was taken aback at my response. “First of all I am not a little kid, I’m seventeen! And second of all, there’s something that’s a little off in the dance.”

“Excuse me wha-,”

She was cut off as I pushed by her and entered the classroom.

“Someone hit play for me,” I directed.

When the music began to play I closed my eyes and pictured the movements I had seen the class doing in my head. My body started to copy what I saw in my head, and before I knew it I was doing the whole routine. I added a few extra things in here and there, and cleaned up the part that had caught my eye.

*Tiffany’s POV*

When that kid interrupted our class I was pissed, I won’t lie. Who does he think he is?! But as soon as I saw him dance, I was captivated. Every move he made was perfection. Every alteration he added looked smooth and natural. Who is this guy?

*Taemin’s POV*

When I finished, everyone just stared at me in awe. Finally the dance teacher broke the silence. “What’s your name, boy? And where are you from?” she asked me.

“Seoul, South Korea,” I answered truthfully. “And my name is Taemin Lee.”

“Hmmm yes, Taemin,” she mumbled, “Well, Taemin how would you like to join our class? We were short one person from the auditions, because no one had the... potential, for this kind of dancing. But I see a spark in you Taemin Lee! Be here tomorrow at 3 o’clock sharp.”

“Aigoo! Thank you! You won’t be disappointed, thank you!!” I exclaimed.

*Tiffany’s POV*

I giggled at his cuteness. Hmmm, he’s from Korea. I think they call it aegyo?

“Yes, yes, well run along now Taemin. We’ll see you tomorrow,” Mrs. Halbock said to the young boy.

He skipped happily out of the room, and I giggled again. For some reason, I couldn’t wait to see him again tomorrow.