Welcome to America

What The Heart Desires

*Taemin’s POV*

 I stared out the window of the plane. Why am I going to America? How can I be without SHINee for a year? Do my parents hate me?

 I watched as the water slowly turned into land beneath me.

 “Ladies and gentlemen we are beginning our descent into New York City, and will be landing at the John F. Kennedy International Airport shortly. Please remain seated with your seatbelts fastened until we’ve landed and the plane has come to a complete stop. I hope you all enjoyed the flight, and we thank you for choosing Korean Airlines JFK. Welcome to America!" The flight attendant's cheery voice spoke through the speakers throughout the plane. That's when I knew that this was going to be the worst year of my life.

 I was slightly relieved when the plane finally landed. Fourteen hour plane rides sure know how to throw your stomach into a fit! I grabbed my carry-on from the overhead compartment, and exited the plane.

 The airport looked just like the ones in Korea, except everything was written in English and most people’s eyes were shaped more like saucers. I wonder how much better their eyesight is…

 I made my way to the baggage claim and finally succeeded in retrieving my luggage.

 If you’re wondering why fan girls haven’t come running up to me yet, it’s because I’m wearing a black hat, dark sunglasses, and I have the collar popped on my leather jacket. Yeah, it sounds kind of creepy, but I’d rather have people avoid me than tackle me for my autograph. Thankfully the school that I was supposed to attend was filled with celebrities, so we all would understand that we just wanted to be treated like normal people.

 "TaeTae!!!” I heard a familiar voice shout from somewhere in the crowds of people. Then I finally spotted Miyun coming toward me.

 Miyun is my 26 year old cousin. She moved to America to study English as soon as she graduated from high school.

 “MiMi!” I exclaimed as I gave her a huge bear hug.

 “Oh Taemin, you’ve grown so much! How have you been? Did you miss me?”

 “Of course I missed you noona,” I smiled back at her. “You’re probably the only reason why I even agreed to come here, you know.”

 “Aw Taemin, what’s with the negativity? New York City is a wonderful city!  I can’t wait to show you all my favorite places! But first let’s get you settled into your apartment. You must be tired! I had awful jetlag when I first came to America from Korea. Did you know that Korea is 14 hours ahead of the east coast? Fourteen!”

 Miyun blabbed on and on while she helped me carry my luggage to the taxi she had waiting outside. She loved to talk. Maybe that’s why she wanted to study English. That way whether she’s here or in Korea, she can still blab everyone’s ears off! But I love her anyway.

 --------------------------------------

The apartment was HUGE. It even had an upstairs! It sure does pay to be a K-pop idol.

 “Do you want me to help you settle in?” Miyun asked me as I set the last bag down inside the room. 

“No, its okay, I’ll be fine. How about you go home and get some rest, so that tomorrow you can show me all your favorite places in the city!” I suggested, crossing my fingers.

 “Taemin, did you forget?! You start school tomorrow!”

 Stupid fingers. Maybe I crossed them the wrong way?

 “Oh, right! I totally forgot,” I lied. “Well looks like I better get some rest then. Thanks for everything Miyun! Bye!” I said this while pushing her toward the door. It’s not that I didn’t want Miyun around, but there was just something I’d been dying to do since to plane landed.

 As soon as Miyun left, I searched through my bags to find my iPod. I quickly changed my clothes into something I could move around in, and headed upstairs.

 Yes! I mentally screamed. It’s exactly like in the picture, but better!

 The reason I chose this apartment wasn’t because of its size (though it was a nice bonus). I chose it because of the incredible dance studio it had on the upper floor: sound proof walls, a giant speaker system which I could plug my iPod into, three out of the four walls were all mirrored, and lighting system was incredible.

 I ran over to the speakers, plugged in my iPod, and Replay immediately started came booming through the speakers. It was my favorite SHINee song to dance to. I closed my eyes as I went through the motions. That fourteen hour plane ride had been killing me. I really needed to move. To dance. I stayed in that studio room late into the night. When I woke up the next morning, I didn't find myself in bed. Instead I was lying on my hoodie in the middle of the dance floor, where I had fallen alseep that night.