First Date?

What The Heart Desires

*Taemin’s POV*

That night I was too excited to sleep. Instead I just laid there in bed, staring up at my ceiling thinking. Maybe coming to America isn’t so bad after all. I wonder how different the dances will be. Wait, Americans and Korean dance the same, right? Maybe not. I don’t know. Aigoo that girl was so beautiful. Woah! Where did that come from?!

When I finally fell asleep, I dreamt of dancing, Korea, SHINee, and that beautiful girl at the studio. I needed to find out who she was…

School dragged by the next day. I ran to the studio as soon as school was let out; partly because I didn’t want to be late, but mostly because I was so excited! When I got there I realized that I was a half hour early. Oops! I decided to warm up with a little Ring Ding Dong. As I moved to the music, I grew farther and farther away from New York; reality. In my head I was back at our studio in Seoul with SHINee. I could picture the whole crew there with me. When the music reached my favorite part, I began to improvise and let my body take over. When the song ended, I froze in the position I was in, wishing the music to keep going and to never stop.

“Wow! That was incredible!”

I nearly jumped out of my skin! I looked up to see someone standing in the doorway. When the figure moved out of the light, I realized it was the girl I had seen in my dreams last night.

“Oh, uh, uh- thanks!” I stuttered. Why was I suddenly nervous?

“I’m Tiffany by the way. Tiffany Dahl. You’re Taemin, right?” she asked.

“Um yeah I’m Lee Tae- I mean Taemin Lee! Sorry we say our last names first in Korea. That’s where I’m from.” Okay, come one, keep your cool. You’re always so smooth and collected around girls, so why are you being so… different?

“Cool,” she said. “I listen to a little bit of K-pop myself actually. Well, really only one or two songs by that band Super Junior. I would hardly consider myself an ELF though. Have you ever been to one of their concerts?”

“You could say that,” I replied. I didn’t want to talk about this. If she found out who I was, it would be over, and the fan-girling would begin.

“Oh hello you two! I see you’re very punctual Taemin Lee. You’ve made a good first impression, which I’m very happy to see!” Mrs. Halbock, the dance teacher, said as she walked into the room.

“Hey, want to hang out after practice?” The feeling of Tiffany’s warm breath against my neck as she whispered in ear made my heart race.

“Okay, sounds good,” I said smiling back at her.

*Tiffany’s POV*

I couldn’t focus in practice today. There was something about that Korean boy that made my mind race; every time I tried to think of something, my thoughts always came back to him. I was looking forward to hanging out with him afterwards. I wanted to know more about him. I needed to know more about him.

*Taemin’s POV*

When practice let out, Tiffany told me that she wanted to freshen up first before going out. I wanted to do the same, so we both headed toward our separate locker rooms. I changed my clothes, fixed up my hair, and sprayed myself with my favorite cologne. The last thing I wanted to do was look like a scumbag in front of this beautiful girl.

I waited on a bench outside the locker rooms while Tiffany finished getting ready. Aigoo and I thought I took long! But it was definitely worth the wait. She came out wearing this http://www.collegefashion.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/winter-outfit-4.jpg, and boy did she look pretty!

“Ready to go?’ she asked cheerily.

“Yes! Where are we going?” I asked.

“It’s a surprise!”

We held steady conversation as we walked. I tried to be as charming as I could. I loved to see her smile. We walked until we came to a really tall building.

“The Empire State Building!” I exclaimed. I’d seen pictures of it, but seeing the real thing was pretty exciting.

“Come on! The view from the top is amazing,” said Tiffany as she grabbed my hand and pulled me into the building.

The elevator ride seemed to take forever. I wanted to just be at the top already!

*Tiffany’s POV*

This boy is adorable!!! Look at him; he can’t hold still he’s so excited! I wish he would. I kind of want to hold his hand. But no, maybe it’s too soon for that. Ugh, the stress of being a girl!

*Taemin’s POV*

When we finally reached the top I was about ready to burst. We hurried out to the balcony, where I stopped in amazement. The city looked beautiful! The sun was starting to set in the western sky, and the tall buildings cast long shadows over the city. We stood there watching as lights started to appear throughout the city, not even giving the darkness of the night a chance to settle in.

“It’s beautiful,” I finally said.

“This is the best time to come here,” Tiffany said, not taking her eyes off the breathtaking scene. “It’s kind of romantic.”

Suddenly I became self-conscious. We’re standing so close together. I wonder if she likes me. Do I like her? I don’t know. Maybe I do. She’s so beautiful.

Before I knew it I was moving my hand toward hers. When our fingers touched it felt like shock waves were sent up my arm. Then our fingers intertwined. I started to relax. We stood there looking over the beautiful nighttime scene; hand in hand.