Hindered Feelings

Butterfly [ON HIATUS...]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yonghwa

Itaewon…

 

The bright sun beamed through the white sheer drapery of a huge bay window. Yonghwa squinted his eyes, awaken by the brightness. He felt a weight shift in his lap when his eyes traveled to the movement. He finally realized where he was and the weight on his lap. He never left Shinhye’s apartment nor did he bother to bring her to her bed.

 

After spending some time with her, her beauty still awestruck him speechless. She was more beautiful as the sun naturally shone her beauty as she slept. He didn’t want to move her, knowing she would wake up. He wanted to bask in her undisturbed natural essence.

 

He lightly brushed back her bedhead bangs. She stirred and shot open her eyes. Yonghwa felt as if he shouldn’t say anything, not wanting to scare her more. Her wide eyes met his and she immediately sat upright, covering with her palm.

 

“M-mianhe. I must’ve fell asleep right after you.” He was trying to explain himself before she got the wrong idea. “I-I was going to leave but you-you fell asleep on my lap and I didn’t want to move you.”

 

Shinhye was still in shock. She didn’t say anything to ease his thoughts. Instead, she quickly stood up and scurried across the living room into her bedroom. She shut the door and Yonghwa thought he heard the door lock.

 

He didn’t know whether to knock her door and explain more or stay where he was and wait or just leave. A part of him didn’t want to leave. He finally came to the decision to give her her privacy and leave. He grabbed his phone and wallet when he heard Shinhye walk back out from her bedroom.

 

“Shinhye-ah, mi-“

 

“Aniya. I was just startled a bit.” She was twiddling her thumbs. “I never had a man sleepover. It was just awkward.”

 

He couldn’t contain his grin but quickly hid it. “I understand. It was very inappropriate. Mianhe.”

 

She nervously chuckled, still twiddling her thumbs. “Uh… would you like some breakfast? Thinking about it, I am grateful for you taking care of me last night and being a gentleman.”

 

“Please. And I don’t mind at all. We’re friends after all.” He smiled.

 

He watched her from her sofa as she expertly and quickly prepared breakfast for them. Just watching her, he thought about his memories of his mother cooking an American breakfast for him but he then thought about how Jiwon had never cooked a full meal for him. He shook his head. He needed to stop thinking about his ex-girlfriend. It was over.

 

“Ja! Breakfast is served.” Shinhye cheerily set down small plates of side dishes, rice, and meat.

 

“Waah…” Yonghwa was amazed. He gave her 2 thumbs up as she seated herself across him at her small dining table. “Jalmukesumneda!”

 

Yonghwa dug in and savored the perfection of each dish. He peaked up and noticed Shinhye watching him with true happiness in her eyes. He knew then that he had to keep that happiness present in her for the remainder of his time in Seoul.

 

“Jinjja jinjja masittda! Gomawo.”

 

“Ani. Gomawo for having breakfast with me and enjoying it.”

 

“Waah… I’m as curious as ever to taste neoui halmeoni’s cooking. But I have to confess,” He leaned in a bit closer to the table. “I know no one else’s cooking will ever compete with yours.”

 

Shinhye giggled and gave him a sly look. “Gomawo. But nae halmeoni’s cooking beats anyone including me.”

 

He chuckled. “So, besides the awkwardness of our night, did you sleep well?”

 

“Surprisingly, I did.” She had an honest smile on her face, one of gratefulness. “I’ve never slept better since…”

 

She stopped herself from mentioning what he already knew she referred to. He quickly tried to lighten the mood. “I’m glad. Maybe I could sleep over every night. Or you could call me whenever you need me.”

 

She smiled and rolled her eyes. “Ah, jinjja. You are impossible.”

 

Yonghwa laughed with her. He was content and happy he could bring some amount of joy to her life when she needed it.

 

 

Yonghwa spent the whole day Sunday hanging out with Shinhye at her apartment. They never left her apartment, occasionally he would send his driver to get them some necessities for dinner or snacks. But he enjoyed watching some American dramas with her as well as tolerating some K-dramas.

 

But now, the busy week started and he really needed to secure a decision on which Tokyo location to open a coffee shop. He opted to open his new shop in the heart of Tokyo where the younger population tended to hang out. He felt that was where business would bloom. It was quite expensive but with what his late grandfather left him, he could afford it.

 

Knock… knock… knock…

 

“Oseyo.” Yonghwa never tore his attention from his late grandfather’s computer as he welcomed whoever was at the door.

 

“I’m quite impressed with the progress you’re making with neoui harabeoji’s shop. I figured you would’ve just opened another shop anywhere just for the sake of being done with it and leaving. I would hate for neoui harabeoji’s hard work starting his business to go down the drain over your reluctance. But I see that is not the case. And I’m content.”

 

“Well Mr. Kim-ssi, I am a very well-respected businessman nor a heartless one at that. Even if my disagreements about ownership say otherwise.”

 

“Well said.”

 

Yonghwa removed his study glasses from his eyes and gave his grandfather’s confidante a sly look. “Spit it out, Mr. Kim-ssi. I know you didn’t just come to compliment my progress.”

 

The confidante chuckled. “Well, I’ve come to relay to you that I’ve met with the board members appointed by neoui harabeoji. I’ve regretfully explained to them your intentions of signing ownership to a trusted confidante and relinquishing yours. Good new to you, they all were too happy to agree. You may have the business background and neoui harabeoji’s blood, but they deem you unfit to fill his position.”

 

Yonghwa didn’t know how to feel about that. Even though they doubted him, he should be happy and relieved the board members wanted to oust him. But a feeling in his heart made him think otherwise. He was disappointed.

 

“So they’ve all agreed that once your new coffee shop reaches a 5% increase in sales compared to this shop, you will be relieved of neoui harabeoji’s assets. You can move back to New York where you belong and not have anything tie you to Seoul. But I must say, I wish you would reconsider transferring ownership. Neoui harabeoji was a great friend of mine and I wouldn’t want to see his estate and assets in the wrong hands.”

 

Yonghwa was surprised by his late grandfather’s confidante’s last words. The confidante wanted him to stay as owner. He thought about the confidante’s words after he left him alone. It wasn’t just his confidante’s words he considered but the last week as a whole. Now, Yonghwa had a just on what he was feeling his heart. But he needed more confirmation about this feeling.

 

 

It had been a very tiring day for Yonghwa. All afternoon he was glued to the computer preparing business plans for the new coffee shop, studying profit fluctuations over the last year, and physically helping out at the register and kitchen. Late afternoons were always busiest as college students swarmed the entire shop looking for caffeine relief from studying all day.

 

But he was glad it was the end of a work day as he could see the one person he was starting to miss, his beautiful friend. Shinhye started an evening class for those that couldn’t make it in the mornings or afternoons. He remembered the happy look on her face when she confessed how she felt popular and successful as more people signed up for her yoga classes. He was all but too happy to sign his name as the first student to sign up for her occasional night classes. He was starting to enjoy yoga especially when she taught it.

 

Just as he was leaving his bedroom about to put his cell phone in his pocket, his cell rang. He thought it might be Shinhye calling to tell him she was at the studio and waiting for him. He pulled it out, not even glancing at the caller id, and answered cheerily.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter