Overnight Camping

Butterfly [ON HIATUS...]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yonghwa…

Hwajinpo Beach…

 

“That was a very delicious seafood udon soup!” Yonghwa looked at Shinhye. “Don’t you think?”

 

Shinhye smiled widely and patted her stomach. “Ne! Jinjja jinjja matda!”

 

Yonghwa enjoyed her natural cuteness. He could not keep his eyes from her while he watched her blow on her serving of soup and immediately slurp it like it was her last meal. He liked that she was a bit of a messy eater unlike most American girls he met who ate as if the world was judging them. He also liked that Shinhye was very appreciative and hospitable. She poured Yonghwa a bowl of seafood udon from the massive pot as if she was the waitress.

 

As they walked along the white sandy beach, her aura was undeniably beautiful. Her loose, soft auburn hair danced with the light breeze. He also very liked when she naturally tucked her loose strands behind her ear and give a small smile. He felt the pang once again in his heart, a pang that felt a little harder. He was falling for her more and more.

 

“Yonghwa?”

 

He was lost in his own thoughts admiring the beautiful woman in front of him that he didn’t hear what she was chatting about. He gave her a stupidly smile.

 

“Mwo? Miane. The udon soup must’ve overcame my hearing senses.” He joked.

 

She scoffed but smiled. “Because it was so delicious, I won’t scold you for not listening to me.”

 

He laughed. “Arasseo. Geundae, what did you really say?”

 

“I asked what did you have all planned out after that massive brunch? Since you were ever so adamant in kidnapping me from yoga to go camping.”

 

“Adamant? Kidnapping?” He had a teasing tone. “If it’s anything, it’s more like invitingly whisking you. You could’ve said no.”

 

“But-“

 

“No buts. And I’m very happy you came. Even though I had to hear your snoring for the whole two-hour drive.” He mischievously grinned.

 

“I do not snore!” She playfully slugged his shoulder.

 

“Yah!” He pretended as if she really hurt him and rubbed his shoulder.

 

“Aish, I didn’t even hit you that hard.” She let out a small giggle.

 

“Are you mocking me?”

 

She stuck out her tongue and kicked the incoming ocean water towards him. Yonghwa didn’t expect that and the side of his shorts was drenched. He gave her a ‘you’re-in-serious-trouble’ look which made her immediately retreat but she laughed. He laughed with her and started chasing after her as she ran opposite of him.

 

“Yah!”

 

Her laugh was beautifully contagious. But she wasn’t as fast as him and he caught up to her in four strides. His arms caught her by the waist and lifted her in the air as he started walking further into the ocean. She was as light as a feather and her figure fit perfectly in his arms, all thanks to her yoga.

 

“Yong! Jebal! Mianhe!” She squealed and kicked at the air, hoping she would slip from his grasp. But Yonghwa had a nice tight grasp around her.

 

“Oh no, Shin. You have to pay the consequences.” He laughed.

 

The ocean reached Yonghwa’s midthighs while Shinhye tried her hardest to keep dry. But Yonghwa had other plans. Once a rolling wave was coming towards them, Yonghwa immediately threw her in.

 

“Aaah!” She gasped and quickly found her balance. She was drenched more than Yonghwa and she gave him a playfully deadly glare. “Yong!”

 

He was laughing, standing about two feet from her. But he became serious when Shinhye ran towards him. This time he ran from her, but there was only a small distance between them when he felt Shinhye jump on his muscular back. She was laughing this time as he felt her put all her weight into bringing him down. Luck must have been on her side as a surprise wave clashed into him, making him lose his balance.

 

They both fell, with Shinhye falling on top of him before rolling to her side as the wave was drawn back into the ocean. They were lying at the shoreline, away from big waves. Yonghwa turned over to look at Shinhye. Their eyes met. Yonghwa wanted to kiss her. He looked at her plump lips and slowly started to lean in. But Shinhye quickly sat up and lend her hand to help him up. He was taken aback but smiled and took her hand.

 

 

After spending a good two hours enjoying the calm and freshness of the beach, Yonghwa decided they should go fishing. That whatever fish they caught, they could cook it for dinner tonight around a nice campfire. Yonghwa didn’t really plan the full day like Shinhye thought he did. He only thought to plan the drive to and from Hwajinpo Beach. He was letting the ‘chips fall where they may’ for how their day goes.

 

“Ah, the weather is perfect. You really planned the timing right.” Shinhye turned to Yonghwa as he was rowing their small boat.

 

A local fisherman allowed them to use his boat for their first fishing experience on that side of Korea. He directed them to the best fishing spots and what kind of fish were around. But Yonghwa knew how to fish as him and his then-college friends went on fishing trips to Staten Island. At the same time, this was a great opportunity to impress Shinhye even more.

 

“I sure did. But as long as I’m with you, the timing doesn’t matter nor the weather.” He spoke genuinely.

 

“Ah, so cheesy.” She grinned.

 

“Can’t help it.” He laughed.

 

“Aish jinjja.” He watched as she playfully rolled her eyes turned back to the ocean view. Gosh, he would never get tired of watching her. She was always beautiful in his eyes. “How far out are we going? We’re not lost, are we?”

 

He playfully scoffed as if he was offended. “What, you don’t trust my navigation skills?”

 

“Ani. I’m just saying the fisherman told us to go as far as the first boulder but we’ve passed it.”

 

“Jinjja. He said pass the first boulder because the fish there are less abundant as they swim more southern this time of year.” He grinned. “It’s a good thing I’m the one rowing us and was the one paying attention.”

 

She turned around and slugged him again on the shoulder.

 

“You’re lucky we’re on a small boat and I can’t toss just you in the ocean without both of us going in.”

 

She stuck her tongue out at him. He really enjoyed seeing this side of Shinhye. She was just as playful and carefree, and most of all, she was enjoying herself. He knew this trip would be great for both them. He felt more close to her than he did in Seoul.

 

“Ok! I think this is a great spot. See all the fish?”

 

“Waah! That’s so cool.”

 

Yonghwa smiled and retrieved their two fishing pools, setting hers up for her before handing it to her. She looked like a cute child when he gave her the fishing pole, like a child when she sees gifts under the Christmas tree.

 

Yonghwa taught her the basics to holding the fishing pole and the best technique he learned to throwing the fishing line to the right spot. He was impressed with Shinhye’s quick learning. He prepared his fishing pole, every now and then glancing at a smiling Shinhye. He finally tossed in his loaded fishing line and sat closer to Shinhye.

 

“I never knew fishing could be so interesting. I thought you just sit on a boat and wait. But it makes you think about things and it’s even nicer with company.”

 

The corner of his mouth lifted. “I know what you mean. That’s why I love to fish when I get the chance. Since I started my career at the investment firm, I haven’t had the time. I don’t have any time, come to think of it, to do what I love to do

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter