First Encounter

Butterfly [ON HIATUS...]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yonghwa

Seoul…

 

“I went over nae harabeoji’s financial report and I’m impressed with the numbers.”

 

“Geureom! Neoui harabeoji took great pride in this coffee shop most. I’m not sure if you read the rest of that pile in front of you, but he was in the process of-“

 

“Ara. I went over every detail.” Yonghwa immediately cut off his late grandfather’s confidante. “He wanted to open various chains just not here in Seoul but in Busan, Japan, and China. But the thing is, honestly speaking, I’m not sure if I can honor this paper.”

 

“Yonghwa-ssi, I’ve read into your background. Not just from neoui harabeoji but I did my research. You are a remarkable accountant making his entry into the investment world. I understand why neoui harabeoji left you his greatest treasure. Believe me when I say you will make his coffee chain even more successful-“

 

Yonghwa held up his palm to stop the confidante. “Gomapseubnida for the compliment. But I’ll be blunt. I don’t want this coffee shop nor do I want to expand the chain to Korea’s neighbors. I’m just here to decide who to sign this shop over to. I have more personal and deeper priorities in New York City, my home.”

 

This time the confidante held up his palm, showing a serious grin. “Yonghwa-ssi, I get it. You think you are too good for Korea. Growing up in New York City, the home of gruesome and elite remarkable investors, you want your taste of it. ‘Honestly speaking’,” The confidante throwing Yonghwa’s words back at him. “you’re superficial. The reason why it’s hard for you to become the successful investor you want to be is because you don’t have the passion and purpose to be one.”

 

Yonghwa felt like he had just been punched in the gut. His late grandfather’s confidante was laying down everything and very blunt about it. Yonghwa clenched his fists that was lying on the desk. The confidante knew he had pushed Yonghwa’s buttons.

 

“I’m very certain you will be a remarkable investor. I see your determination and will to do anything. But you’re doing it for all the wrong reasons. Maybe if you actually did look at the fine print of neoui harabeoji’s self-business and years of hard work, you will learn something. Something to take back with you to be the investor you dream of.”

 

“Mr. Kim-ssi, I think you’re wrong about that. You don’t know me. You’re just going off research from third party resourses.”

 

“Then prove it.” The confidante had a smirk in his grin. “Prove it by taking the reins of neoui harabeoji’s coffee shop and expanding it to one of the neighbors. Once you do open another shop, then I will see to change the ownership as you wish.”

 

Yonghwa thought hard about the sudden challenge set before him. He was pissed at the same time but was determined with proving his late grandfather and his grandfather’s confidante.

 

“Arasseo. I will be successful about it and you won’t be wearing that grin when I prove myself.”

 

 

Yonghwa had become even more frustrated and determined since his fallout with the confidante. He groaned as he sat in the back of his late grandfather’s town car on his way to the coffee shop. He had so much on his plate; one-his dream job in New York, two-his relationship that he still held onto, three-the stupid challenge to open another shop, and four-figuring who he will signing over the ownership to once he succeeds.

 

“Sir, we’re here.” The driver announced.

 

Yonghwa was too deep in thought that he didn’t realize they were parked in front of the coffee shop. “Gomapseubnida. I can manage to get out on my own. Pick me up by 4.”

 

“Ne sir.”

 

Yonghwa swiftly got out of the car. He closed his eyes and inhaled one big heap of air. As soon as he opened his eyes, he was awestruck by the delicate beauty calmly walking in front of him. His eyes followed her steps as she continued walking further from him. He felt a faint pang in his chest but shrugged it off, still watching her. He recognized right away that she must be the owner of the yoga studio judging by her slender yet curvy figure.

 

Gosh, she was beautiful he thought. If he wasn’t so caught up with the nuisance of his grandfather’s business, he would surely walk over to her and introduce himself. But at the same time, he felt shy and nervous thinking to introduce himself to her.

 

Unfortunately, his deep thinking made him unaware that she had already entered her yoga studio. He would just have to introduce himself, or find his courage to introduce himself, another time. He deeply sighed and walked into his new coffee shop, for now.

 

“Annyeonghaeseyo Mr. Jung!” A staff of 5 young workers greeted him.

 

“Ne, annyeonghaeseyo.” He awkwardly bowed. “Before the shop officially opens this morning, let’s have a small meeting in that corner. An introduction and new layout as the temporary owner.”

 

They all nodded and made their way to the corner of the café. Yonghwa set his leather briefcase on his new desk in his small office in the back and made his way to his staff.

 

During the small meeting, Yonghwa laid down new rules and said the usual introduction any new owner would say. He learnt a little bit from his staff, as individuals and what they thought about the coffee shop. After his fallout a couple days prior, he realized that in order to prove himself he needed to learn the ins and outs of running a coffee shop. Which meant making coffee, looking over invoices of where the coffee comes from, and actually taking part in decision makings for that particular coffee shop. Boy, did he have the determination to prove himself.

 

 

A couple of days had passed since he last seen the beautiful yoga instructor. The last time he saw her she was walking by the coffee shop with another young lady. He began taking notice of the time she would walk by his coffee shop, in the early morning as the sun was rising and mid-afternoon. He was seriously starting to think if something was wrong with him. He was never the kind of guy to notice the small things such as time she arrived and left, the way she wore her hair when arriving with a loose bun and leaving with her hair loose, or she always carried her yoga mat to and from the yoga studio.

 

Come to think of it, he never noticed small things like this with Jiwon. Oh yes, his girlfriend, or ex-girlfriend, he suddenly remembered. His mind had been consumed with running the coffee shop, learning everything from making coffee, serving customers, doing payroll, and coming up with a business plan for opening one in another country. His mind had also been lately wondering to the beautiful yoga instructor whom he had yet to meet personally and not know the name of her.

 

But as if on cue, the ding of the bell above the glass door rang bringing him from his reverie. He finished wiping dry the white China teacup in his hands and set it down. He smoothed out his black apron and turned around.

 

“Annyeonghaeseyo!” But just before he bowed accompanying his greeting to the incoming customers, he caught a glimpse of the beautiful woman he was oogling over a moment ago.

 

She gracefully walked, more like danced, to the counter along with two other ladies her age. It was finally the moment he was waiting for, to finally speak with her and see her beauty up close. He was mesmerized by her striking features and gorgeous figure.

 

“Annyeong…….haeseyo.” The yoga instructor broke midway into her greeting as she closely watched him. She giggled to herself.

 

Yonghwa quickly blinked and cleared his throat, straightening his tie and apron once more. His attention directed to the yoga instructor only.

 

“What can I make for you beautiful ladies?”

 

He watched as she tried to indulge her two friends but ultimately asked him. “What would

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter