New Home

Butterfly [ON HIATUS...]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Shinhye

Seoul…

 

“So, what do you think of the studio?” The handsome real estate agent, Lee Joon, carefully watched her expression.

 

Shinhye walked around the medium-sized studio, carefully inspecting the bright open space. She could already feel the attachment to the place. She imagined how the bright sun will illuminate the studio, bringing even more sereneness. It was the perfect place.

 

“It’s honestly perfect. And there’s no other major damages?” She stood looking out to the street. She had a nice view due to the huge floor-to-ceiling windows.

 

“Ne. Eopseoyo. The previous owner kept this place up to tabs and even remodeled.” Lee Joon walked a little closer to where Shinhye stood but kept a professional distance. “Geundae, what do you plan for this place?”

 

Shinhye smiled and lightly chuckled. “I want to turn this place into a yoga studio.”

 

“Ah, well, this place will make the perfect studio. It’s in a nice district where younger people walk to and from the university. Your yoga studio will indeed be very popular.”

 

“Gomapseubnida.” She didn’t break her stare from the street to look at Lee Joon. “So where do I sign?”

 

“Let’s head back to my office and discuss the rent and rate.” Lee Joon gestured towards the door at the far corner.

 

“The rent and rate won’t be a problem. I have a good feeling.” She made her way to the door.

 

Lee Joon liked her confidence and business way of thinking. He simply nodded and followed her out of the studio. Shinhye felt very excited to start her own business. It may be very small but she would do whatever it takes to keep it successful.

 

 

Shinhye was finally setting up her new yoga studio. She got a great deal on buying furniture for both her studio and cozy apartment. She couldn’t contain the excitement as she was directing the movers to place her new furniture. By furniture, she bought 20 yoga mats and shelves for shoes and mats.

 

Once the last of her furniture was assembled, the movers left her to tidy her new studio. Shinhye happily danced in her studio as she swept and waxed the hardwood floor. She set up a nice speak system and played nice calming music. She didn’t even realize it was already night time outside as the street lights sparkled in front of her.

 

Ring… ring…

 

Shinhye smiled widely when she saw the caller id. ‘Halmeoni!!’

 

‘Oh aga! I miss hearing your voice. How are you becoming situated in Seoul?’

 

‘Halmeoni, I bought my first studio! I’m here now. The movers came and delivered my furniture. I was cleaning up. Geundae, halmeoni, all I have to do now is advertise now. I have to go to the printing shop and have posters made.’

 

‘Sounds like everything is going great. I’m proud of you.’

 

‘I miss you dearly, halmeoni. I wish you moved with me.’ She paused a while, swallowing the lump in . ‘How are you, halmeoni? Gwenchaenha? Is it hard because I’m not there?’

 

Youngae laughed. ‘Gwenchaenha! Nothing is hard for me. I’m still strong and healthy. Did you eat dinner yet?’

 

‘Aniyo. I didn’t realize it was dark outside.’

 

‘Don’t skip meals! Keep healthy. I just wanted to check on you.’

 

‘Gomawo, halmeoni. I’ll eat dinner after I finish. Neomu bogosipda. Saranghae, halmeoni.’

 

‘Saranghae, aga. I’ll talk to you soon.’

 

Youngae was the first to hang up. Shinhye felt a pang of heartache in her chest. She lifted her chin up to hold back the tears and dabbed her eyes. She stood up and laid out her own favorite yoga mat and began her usual soothing yoga.

 

 

After passing her flyers out in front of her studio and leaving a flyer at each nearby building over the weekend, she was happy with the result that Monday. She now stood in front of her class of 10, which consisted of majority young ladies and at least 3 older ladies. They all were satisfied and grateful for Shinhye to provide yoga mats and the serenity of the studio.

 

“Annyeonghaeseyo. Mannaseo bangapseumnida. Park Shinhyeibnida. I’m your yoga instructor. I recently moved here from Gwangju. I love and enjoy yoga more than anything besides nae halmeoni. I want to help my students to relieve stress from your body and help you find your peace. Please bear with me and I will do my best to make sure you feel that peace and to feel lighter. Gomapseubnida.” Everyone applauded her and she felt a warmth flow through her. “Uri sijakhaja!”

 

Shinhye talked through her demonstrations of different beginner poses. Each pose was easy and comfortable for her students to do. As she walked around, she could feel and see how much peace filled their bodies as they exhaled and inhaled before each pose. She focused on yoga poses that would help them relieve any of their stress and anxiety.

 

Although she focused on yoga for stress, anxiety, and depression, she knew yoga for the body and individual body pain. That’s what she loved about yoga. It provided everything from comfort to peace and it was loved by most people. She was happy yoga reached people of different demographics.

 

“Now, bring your body into a savasana. Stretch out your toes, bring your arms to your side or you can place one hand over your heart and the other over your stomach.” She spoke softly while watching her students lie flat on their back. “In our last position, let go of your breath... Let go of control of your body... Let go of control of your mind…”

 

Shinhye lied down on her own favorite mat and mimicked everything she told her students. She lay there for a good 2 minutes letting herself find that peace. “Now, slowly stretch your arms above your head as far as you can go… Turn to your right side, bringing your knees to your chest… Slowly press yourself to a comfortable sitting position.”

 

She faced her students. “Namaste.”

 

She heard her students repeat after her and slowly stood up from their mats. She stood up with them and offered them water. Her students complimented her on her knowledge and how effective her teaching was.

 

After almost everyone left, one student came up to her. “Park seonsaengnim?”

 

“Ne?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter