"Mission" [noun]: an operation, expedition, or assignment carried out for political, religious, or commercial purposes

A Detailed Explorer’s Guide into the Unknown

 

 

 

Chief Lmiura, head of the Department of Planetary Relationships, stood at an impressive height of 6 feet 8. She had an impressive track record- being the first of her Species to obtain such a high ranking seat within the GLA. But most notably as the youngest to ever be elected directly by the Tribunal Court as a member of the special 6 member-jury that was responsible for rendering the verdict throughout the Gaia Case hearings. While the Known Universe was under the impression that the Gaia Case hearing was being held to complete and finalize procedures regarding the tragic destruction of coordinates 134.87.032.65 Earth 5 GLA sols ago, the true intention of the court was to hide and fabricate the truth behind what really happened.

And though not a member of the jury, Namjoon was an unfortunately important part of the grueling 14 month long hearing. He worked alongside the jury during the hearing, but never really spoke to any of them. In fact, Namjoon lived in an intensely isolated witness-protection program of sorts- travelling back and forth from the court rooms back to his temporary lodgings for the 14 months he was in court. So the moment he was able to, he sent in his letter of resignation and “retired” a lot earlier than he ever imagined he would.

Namjoon left behind the life of an Information Analyst in the Venture Unit and chose to seek employment as a local Navigator for the 3rd Dock orbiting Dao-3 in the planetary system of Dziko. He didn’t need the job,- he had saved plenty of money during his near 80 sols as an Information Analyst. But having a job built a stronger cover-up and though he wasn’t exactly hiding, Namjoon wanted to keep a very low-profile.

Dziko was a small System with only 5 planets, out of which only 3 were occupied. Dziko had no special resources or particularly notable tourist attraction, making it an infrequently visited System- which was ideal for someone like Namjoon. The Beings of the planets were comically short, standing no more than 4 feet average. They lived a rather fast paced life- possibly because of their size in general- but most probably because they had 3 spindly legs carrying their oddly bulky torsos. Namjoon often felt like a particularly slow giant amongst them. There were a few non-Dao Beings that worked in the Docks but Namjoon was easily the tallest amongst them. The Beings of Dao-3 took to Namjoon and instead of being afraid or intimidated by his height, used him to their advantage. So while he did most of his work in his station watching over the Navigation Table and trajectories, he was often called to aid the Daonin in random menial tasks that required the advantage of his height. And because space-travel was rather uneventful in Dziko, Namjoon didn’t mind leaving his station to indulge the small Daonin folk every so often.

Life as an Information Analyst was fast-paced and covert. Secrecy was key. Information Analysts were targeted the most by pirates, terrorists, and other disruptors of the peace. They made for easy targets with an endless supply and complete access to every single digital data ever transmitted throughout the Known Universe. So Namjoon was more than skilled in hiding out in the open.

And while Namjoon was never a part of the Infiltration Unit so while he never worked with a field-agent, Namjoon was responsible for altering digital data across the private channels issued from war-torn planetary systems or known pirate hot-spots. Or in Layman’s term, Namjoon was a highly trained glorified hacker.

So Namjoon enjoyed his easy slow-paced life as a giant who was asked at least once a day to retrieve some random object from a high-shelf away from the GLA, the Venture Unit, the Tribunal Court, and everything that had to do with it.

Which is why when he returns from his station back to his rooms, wanting nothing more than to take a nice long shower, and he finds Chief Lmiura sitting at his desk, Namjoon is quick to pull out and aim the TeorSer he had on him at all times. His mind is racing; why had none of his security measures alerted him of a break in? No one should be able to override his own security system.

The small beam of tracker light from his TeorSer looks purple on Chief Lmiura’s forehead.

‘Were you expecting me?’ Chief Lmiura looks amused. She’s dressed in her full uniform, a cluster of spikey gold stars dotted her dusty-blue long blazer, indicating the colour of her Department.

‘No.’ Namjoon replies shortly. He feels inexplicably underdressed and comical in his oddly sized dark-blue patchwork of a Navigation coat. He didn’t even have the cluster of spikey silver stars that denoted his rank.

‘Your room has been rigged to implode upon your command. It has also been customized to instantly turn vacuum upon your command in case you are in the room during an unexpected raid,’ Chief Lmiura comments, leaning back a little on the chair. Even seated, the Sang’tzi was intimidatingly tall. Their skin was tinted a pale blue, freckled over in small white dots across the high points of their faces. The irises of their eyes were white that slowly faded into a dark blue. While their overall features were almost anthropomorphic, with no additional limbs or appendages, their hands ended in 3 long fingers, each ending with a sharp midnight blue talon. The Sang’tzi were known for their hand-to-hand combat skills amongst other things. Namjoon notes that Lmiura has no hair, indicating that she was widowed, as dictated by her culture upon the death of her spouse. Namjoon remembers her having waist-length hair during the hearings.

‘Are you able to receive your treatment here? So far away from-‘

‘Why are you here?’ Namjoon asks tersely, the TeorSer in his hand is steady. It wouldn’t be the first time he’s shot a TeorSer. He’s a pretty decent shot if he’s being honest. And as mentioned before, Information Analysts made good ransoms and bargaining chips- so Namjoon has been trained to defend himself when needed. And he has come across several situations where there were attempts made to kidnap him. Even have him killed at least 5 times before- Namjoon is sure he’s wanted in at least 8 separate Systems and dozens other planets.

But never in his 314 years alive has Namjoon entertained the idea that a Chief of GLA Department would be sitting inside his room.

‘Namjoon. Born in the planet Kutsoglera. Former Venture Unit member of the Information Analysis Division, formerly governed by the now deceased Thukru. You played a key role in the Gaia Case,- providing the Venture Unit and the GLA with concrete information regarding the betrayal and conspiracy lead by the Yisheng Directory and other organizations.’ She reads from the screen in her hands. The light from the screen throws her face into harsh contrast.

‘That’s me,’ Namjoon replies tersely. ‘How did you find me?’

‘Because I wanted to,’ is all she says. ‘Please lower your TeorSer. I am not here to hurt you.’

‘Then why are you here?’ Namjoon asks, hand still not lowered.

‘I have submitted your name to a special operation, commissioned by the combined request of the Venture Unit and the GIU on a mission to 302. 2899. 1760. 320.’ Is the extraordinary response he gets.

‘I no longer work for the Venture Unit. I quit 3 sols ago.’

‘I am aware- I am bringing you back in.’ Lmiura crosses her hands over her lap, her expression somber.

‘Without my consent?’ Namjoon frowns.

‘Before you ask me any more questions or begin accusations, do you know where coordinates 302. 2899. 1760. 320 take you to?’ Lmiura asks instead.

Namjoon frowns, racking his mind as he scans the coordinates and pinpoints the location. And Namjoon already does not like this.

‘That’s dead space- I don’t understand.’ He replies instead, hoping that by some miracle, Lmiura would take his ignorance as a sign that he was no longer competent for work. Namjoon has seen his fair share of Beings whose competency and capabilities completely deteriorated in a span of days- it wouldn’t be too unbelievable for someone of his position in the Gaia Case to succumb to a similar form of incompetence.

‘It is a simple delivery trade. You should be able to handle it.’ Lmiura states as though she hadn’t just broken into his rooms, pulled him out of his retirement by force, and explained nothing to him.

Namjoon quells down his anger, exhaling sharply and switching the setting of his TeorSer from stun to bolt. Lmiura was clearly not going to believe him if he played dumb. And as a former Information Analyst of his reputation, the very idea of it was laughable.

‘Coordinates 302. 2899. 1760. 320 is the Bhumi System- a dead and abandoned System- what could I possibly be delivering there?’ he demands.

‘This is a classified mission- only the GIU Trifecta, the Venture Unit Board of Directors, Yisheng Directory, and myself, know of this mission. To summarize the mission; the specialized operation unit will be sent to the Bhumi System carrying the technology required to revive and restore the 11 planets that make up the-‘ Lmiura is starting to pull up actual files from her screen, sending them to the larger screen behind her on top of Namjoon’s desk. That screen was secure- Namjoon himself rewired and customized that entire set up. And yet, here was Lmiura easily accessing his gadgets and systems. He was right- all of the defensive and protecting measures he had installed in his rooms were probably hacked by some other Information Analyst.

‘I don’t know how else to say this but I retired. I do not want to be part of any investigative panel anymore- not after everything I saw. While I am honoured that you would think of me and select me for this mission, I will have to politely request you to pull me name out.’ Namjoon says stiffly, finally lowering his TeorSer and taking a step away. He gestures to the door, ‘I will you out.’

Lmiura doesn’t move, only uncrossing her legs to cross them the other way round and she leans back again. If truth be told, Namjoon liked Lmiura the best out of the special jury. She was empathetic, logical, and had a set of ideals she did not waver from while understanding and reasoning with other ideals that didn’t match up with hers. She was always reasonable- because while there were some who would lash out with too much emotion and some were too inhumane, Lmiura balanced the verdict with dignity and carefully calculated suggestion.

Lmiura’s expression changes subtly. Her posture slumps just a little, her shoulders lowering as though bearing a great weight. She looks unsure almost- a first for Namjoon who only ever saw her as assertive, attentive, and always confident.   

‘I only trust you Namjoon.’ She says slowly, a frown settling on her face as she continues, ‘This is a mission we cannot allow the Venture Unit or the GIU to control- you will be the Captain and team leader of the entire operation.’

‘That neither tempts or appeals to me in any way or form.’ Namjoon replies truthfully. He always worked alone. It was his preference and it was what he knew.

‘I would not have purposefully pulled you out of your retirement if I didn’t believe this was an extremely serious matter!’ Lmiura sighs, a hint of exasperation seeping into her voice. ‘You’re past, as well as the role you played in the Gaia Case could potentially be the only thing that allows the GLA full control over this mission!’

‘If you were looking for Beings who were involved in the case, why not pull the ones who were right in the middle of it?’ Namjoon shoots back at once. ‘Correct me if I’m mistaken, but it was their ship and crew members that were targeted.’

Namjoon knows he’s not mistaken. He knows this case more than he’d care to admit.

‘They are under the protection of the Yisheng Directory- their whereabouts and governance is out of our control- we cannot touch them.’ Lmiura replies.

‘The Yisheng Directory no longer has the power they once held over the GLA- you can easily override this.’ Namjoon rebuts.

‘Their relationship with the Yisheng Directory, and not to mention the GIU is one we cannot risk- you are the only I can trust!’ Lmiura says in earnest, now standing up as though frustrated. Her head brushes the ceiling of Namjoon’s already altered rooms but she pays it little attention.

‘I already told you- I have retired. I want nothing more to do with any of this.’ Namjoon repeats stubbornly.

‘Before you ask me to leave- will you not listen to me? Will you not listen to how important this is- not just for the reputation of the GLA or for the sake of whatever petty strife there is between the Venture Unit and the GIU. There’s an underlying plot to this- one we cannot have the Venture Unit or the GIU orchestrate. ’ Lmiura pauses mid-stride of her pacing.

Namjoon pockets his TeorSer and crosses his arms together.

‘But why Bhumi? The Bhumi System was wiped out and has been abandoned for over a millennia. What could the Venture Unit or the GIU hope to gain from attempting to revive it? There is no possible way of doing something of that magnitude.’ Namjoon argues at once, finding no logical reasoning in this mission.

‘Because you know what happened in Bhumi- you were at the court rulings and trials- and you know despite what they might say, the Venture Unit will always look for a way to one up the GLA-and the GIU will do everything in their power to prevent it. And now with the authority and respect that the Yisheng Directory once held diminishing within the inner circles, they can do nothing to neutralize these two from clashing- not after K’mara lost the GI to Lal Haenoon.’ Lmiura explains in disdain.

Namjoon had been there when it happened. He remembers the anger in K’mara’s eyes when the Court assigned the GI to the Venture Unit. He shudders to think about what would happen if the Venture Unit and the GIU finally pushed each other to their limits- not with leaders like K’mara and Lal Haenoon leading the two organizations with something as dangerous and lethal like the Akramanese technology hanging in the balance of the outcome of their clashing. But Namjoon doesn’t think further than that- he won’t allow himself to get involved. He already knew too much, and it was all he could do living with the knowledge of the truth behind the Gaia Case.

‘Why me? I was told I wouldn’t be involved or implemented in any additional cases or trials.’ Namjoon says roughly.

‘Namjoon- you know why,’ Lmiura says gently. ‘Your experience- from both the Gaia Case and those of your past- what you have seen- what you have felt. Those should all account for why I believe you should be a part of this mission.’

Namjoon doesn’t say anything, still staring hard at Lmiura for an answer as he says, ‘No it doesn’t. If anything, it clearly indicates why I shouldn’t be involved. So tell me why what do I have to do with this?’

‘I’m aware- but you should have known you wouldn’t have been able to hide forever.’ Lmiura replies.

‘It’s barely been over 5 sols- the case was closed almost 4 sols ago. All the cover-ups are still standing, no one knows about the betrayal, the GI are still completely hidden, and the embryos are in safekeeping. Everything is as it should be. So why now? What’s changed now?’ Namjoon asks in a rush.

Lmiura has a half-smile on her face, ‘So you’ve been keeping up with the news?’

Namjoon levels her with a neutral look before saying coolly, ‘You’re all the same. All of you.’

Lmiura doesn’t say anything for a while. Instead she takes a seat again. Namjoon stands.

‘What do you know about the Bhumi System?’ Lmiura asks.

Namjoon sighs heavily in resignation, leaning back on the wall and crossing his arms over his chest as he replies, ‘It was never a part of the GLA- they had their own planetary regency that ruled the planets. They had surprisingly advance technology developed by the natives of the System- most notably a sort of “space-camouflage” that hid their existence from the rest of the Known Universe. They refused to merge with the GLA – even in Trade and Tourism. They signed a treaty with the GLA, declaring their own independence. Their only request was to be left alone and the GLA respected that as per the laws of the GLA. However, 8 centuries later, a distress signal from Bhumi was detected and the GLA sent a small platoon to check on the System. They picked up some refugees who refused to seek shelter from the GLA and instead accompanied them back to their home-System. The platoon, including the native ships were annihilated upon arrival without any survivors. The System of Bhumi was lost for a few sols before the GLA was able to enter and find it again, thus giving the GLA the first evidence on the existence of the Akramanese.’

‘Well summarized,’ Lmiura nods. ‘Now, let me ask you a question: for a System that had no contact beyond its own borders, and a System that remained purposefully hidden for so long, how is it that you think the Akramanese found them?’

Namjoon studies Lmiura’s expression, searching for something, anything.

‘You can’t be serious?’

‘I am- it was perfect. At the time, the Yishengs needed a vast scape for their experimentation- a place that the GLA wouldn’t enter or observe. When Bhumi signed that treaty, they signed their own death sentence.’ Lmiura looks momentarily haggard.

Namjoon narrows his eyes in thought, regarding the Sang’tzi carefully as he puts all of the pieces of information Lmiura has given him fall into place.

‘So all the remaining concrete remains of their experiments, of their technology- still exists within the System?’

‘Yes. Which is why both the GIU and the Venture Unit are scrambling to claim the System.’ Lmiura sighs as though relieved that Namjoon now knew what she was trying to tell him without explicitly telling him so.

‘But it’s dead space now- it’s entirely abandoned- what’s stopping them from just going in and scavenging everything?’ Namjoon asks. Dead space was basically free for all- massive stretches of space with nothing in it and with no law governing it.

‘Because of the treaty signed by the GLA- the agreement still stands. Law is law. Neither the Venture Unit or the GIU will willingly dirty their hands or compromise their organizations by breeching GLA treaties.’ Lmiura explains.

‘But the treaty is only relevant and active if both members of the party are “alive”- the Bhumi System is dead.’ Namjoon counters harshly at once. A treaty on planetary/system/galactic border laws could only be recalled if one of the two party members died, or if both of them agree to overrule the signed treaty. Bhumi should be free for grabs. ‘She was raided- the GLA were too late to rescue her- and now she is dead.’

‘She is not. Remnants of her former life still exists and thus the treaty still exists. Signs of life have been detected on a few of the planets- no doubt survivors of the apocalypse that ruined them.’ Lmiura sighs again, gaze thoughtful and for a fleeting moment filled with pity that leaves a bitter taste in Namjoon’s mouth.

‘Then why not declare an overrule- the Court would surely allow it considering what the Bhumi System holds within it,’ Namjoon frowns before he catches the look in Lmiura’s eye.

‘Does the Court know about this “mission”?’ Namjoon could laugh.

‘Of course not,’ Lmiura replies at once. ‘Secrecy regarding the Gaia Case is so high they won’t even touch the Bhumi System in fear of shedding light to its existence to the rest of the Known Universe.’

It made sense- the first Court hearing that had taken place in the Yisheng Headquarters within the hour of Earth’s destruction had declared an immediate shut-down on all news involving or pertaining to the Gaia Case. All missions and trade details commissioned by the GLA or any other affiliated Organization was public information- one of the first Orders written in the GLA Constitution. So by commissioning a mission headed for a seemingly dead System under the Gaia Case would no doubt raise questions which could potentially lead to the exposure of the truth behind the Gaia Case. And as one of the 32 Beings in all of the Known Universe who is aware of the truth, Namjoon would do anything in his power to keep it a secret too.

‘Who is commissioning this?’ Namjoon asks immediately.

‘The combined organizations of the Venture Unit and the GIU-‘

‘You said that already- I’m asking who.’ Namjoon interrupts.

‘K’mara of the GIU Trifecta, Lal Haenoon from the Venture Unit Board of Divisions, Yisheng Amme of the Yisheng Directory, Chief Xmi Head of the Galactic Security and Safety Department, Chief Shn’ow Head of the Trade Department, and myself, representing the Department of Planetary Relations,’ Lmiura recites.

‘So- the special-jury then.’

‘Yes.’

Sighing deeply, Namjoon asks, ‘You said this was a special operation involving the Venture Unit and the GIU- why am I being forcefully involved in it?’ Namjoon sits down heavily on his bed, putting emphasis on “I”.

‘Because we need someone from our side in there to control the two- the Yisheng Directory won’t be allowed to participate as balance-keepers; quite understandably though I believe Lal Haenoon has manipulated the others into that decree. I submitted your name as my candidate.’ Lmiura states, tapping across her screen quickly.

‘Why me? There are ranked and active officers better suited for this role- not to mention of higher moral values than me. Of a more whole form than me.’ Namjoon says with a faint scoff.‘

Lmiura looks up at Namjoon from her screen, her eyes narrowing a little.

‘Namjoon, I know we have never spoken before this. Not directly anyways- so there’s no solid reason as to why you should trust me. Your distrust and suspicion is completely founded,’ Lmiura states simply. ‘But I will tell you this right now- in a panel that has both Lal Haenoon and K’mara in it, fighting for the authority and ownership of a technology that can once again take over the Known Universe and undermine the sacrifice it took to stop it, is one that I cannot allow. It’s a risk that those of us who know cannot allow. Namjoon- think of what has happened before. Think of what has happened to you.’

Namjoon knows that what Lmiura is saying is the truth. What almost happened, what almost took place,- something like that couldn’t happen again. They had been lucky the first time- by some strange twist of fate- destiny, whatever you wanted to call it- it had been stopped.

Namjoon has lived a life plagued with nightmares. And the events that he witnessed and experienced simply added more to his terror-filled nights. And he still feels it. Still feels the discord in the universe around him when Earth was reduced to nothing but a stretch of debris.

‘Namjoon. Please.’

Lmiura is kneeling in front of him, fingers crossed and held over her bowed head that almost touches the floor. The Sang’tzi were a noble Species and did not easily bow- literally and metaphorically- to anyone or anything.

‘I trust only you.’

‘Please stand Chief Lmiura,’ Namjoon squirms a little.

‘You must understand. Why I am here. You understand how this can go if we do not stop this.’ Lmiura pleads, still kneeling though she sits up now.

‘I understand,’ Namjoon sighs wearily. ‘Can you please tell me what this mission entails? And not what’s on paper- what’s really going on.’

Lmiura slumps in relief, pausing for a moment to clasp her hands together, head tilted up as though in prayer.

Namjoon finds it funny that she would still believe in her prayers despite knowing the truth.

‘Mission 013-937619 is disguised as a trade mission to Matlaab. The true purpose of this plan is to enter the Bhumi System and deliver the terraforming technology that will help restore and revive its planets. By reviving the planets you will ensure that the System will be secured and strong enough to defend itself and renew the Treaty. You will also carry with you dispensary technology in order to rid the System of any remains of the Akramanese technology left behind. And while we firmly believe that none of them are left alive- we do not know what they might have left behind. They conducted vast experimentations there- so you need to be careful.’ Lmiura summarizes, sending the details of the mission to Namjoon’s screen behind her. ‘You never know what might be living there.’

Namjoon grimaces as he walks over to his screen, tapping along the glowing surface as he scans the outline and objectives.

‘What about registration? You said I would be team-leader, I can fill out the role of Navigator- but I do not have a Trading License.’

‘All legal documents have been cleared for you and your team by Chief Shn’ow. You have been settled as a small trading ship in business for the past 11 sols. You will be registered under the Raksane Tayi Trading Registration System under family business.’ Lmiura explains.

‘Who are my team members?’ Namjoon asks as he pulls up their profiles.

Three faces pop up on the screen, their information details noted on the side.

‘You will meet them tomorrow in Šerdesas- we cannot trust them. None of them. Any of them could be working to undermine the entire operation- you need to keep your eyes open and be in complete alert with them. This is them. You and three other Beings- a 4-member Team.’

‘Why so less?’ Namjoon asks as he leans in, studying their faces intently.

‘You cannot man and fly a ship single handedly- if you were to attempt to take anyone out, then you would instantly sentence yourself to death.’ Lmiura explains almost nonchalantly before stepping next to Namjoon, tapping on the first profile.

‘This is Hoseok- he was a member of the Venture Unit Infiltration Division- you may or may not recognize him from the Court trials. He was present during most times, providing his own testimony and evidence regarding the Venture Unit’s involvement with the Gaia Case. He will be filling in the role of Head Pilot.’

Reading his basic information, Namjoon finds that Hoseok is from the diminishing Species of Ngfy’widan. They were a nomadic group of people, now settled in Dŵr-5, a Settlement Arc anchored to the remains of their long dead planet Ngfy’wid. Namjoon’s interest immediately peaks.

Ngfy’wid was a planet that eroded in on itself some 4-5 millennium ago- her people survived as a result of the GLA’s intervention. It had been an interesting study to read- Ngfy’wid had been a large and flourishing planet- independent and largely agrarian. But due to the explosion of a dwarf-star somewhere within the galaxy that housed them, Ngfy’wid had taken the strangest and most adverse effect studied and documented in recent history. The waves of radiation and energy from the explosion wasn’t strong enough to wipe out their System- in fact Ngfy’wid was too far to properly feel its effect. Yet, however, it triggered a series of events that would completely alter the chemical composition and stability of its ionosphere. And during the span on 1 sol, Ngfy’wid’s protective shield around the planet eroded and they were exposed to the full force of radiation from their own sun.

They were helpless and could do nothing but watch as their planet died around them and with her, slowly, her people started succumbing to the deathly rays of raw sunlight. They sought protection underground but could not work fast enough. And just as they gave up hope, the Venture Unit’s Exploration Division came down to rescue them from their scorching and decaying planet.

Wanting to never forget what they had been through, they refused to leave their System and instead constructed 10 Settlement Arcs for the surviving population. They lived with the understanding that Life was unpredictable, and that every single moment in life came with equally weighty outcomes and you had no control over it. But what you had control over, were your actions. So the Ngfy’widan chose to remain in their System to develop technology that would then later be pivotal to the fortification of the Atmoshield. If Namjoon isn’t mistaken, then they were in the early stages of reconstructing their home planet again, and so far the progress was entirely positive. 

But what was the most interesting about the Ngfy’widan was their ability to morph their appearances.

Although complete and full physical transformation was definitely not possible and has never been noted as any Species/Race characteristic, the Ngfy’widan could alter their appearances to a certain extent. And most definitely enough to be an excellent field-agent for the Infiltration Division for the Venture Unit.

Hoseok had entirely anthropomorphic features- his skin was a healthy tan, his hair (Namjoon isn’t sure what a Ngfy’widan’s natural hair colour is) is a dark brown, and his eyes are the characteristic double ringed-iris in blue to yellow. He’s smiling in the picture and Namjoon is insure what to think- no one actually smiled for their GLA Archive Profile- especially not someone who was an agent for the Infiltration Division.

Namjoon studies his face again, wondering if that was indeed his actual face before saying, ‘I do remember him- the Director in charge of his Division was directly involved wasn’t he? He provided the evidence required to fully imprison him without trial- if he had been alive for trial of course.’ Namjoon rolls his eyes. ‘Lal Haenoon sure works fast.’

Lmiura chuckles humorlessly before swiping across the screen.

‘This is Sk’jin. He works in the GIU- in fact, he’s a part of K’mara’s own inner-circle.’ The distrust in her voice is more apparent.

‘That’s rather blasé of K’mara- putting one of her own pawns in without even trying to cover-up or disguise their identity. What is he anyways?’ Namjoon asks, glancing at the information to the side.

K’mara really didn’t try to disguise who her agent was. He was a Khol’isa, just like her. Namjoon grimaces- this team was starting to really pick up on Beings who no longer had their home-planets around.

Khol’isa was a remote planet, frigid and dark, the only living planet in her System whose sun was a red giant. But Khol’isa was too far away to receive more than just a shadow of resemblance to sunlight and warmth while her sister-planets dried and disintegrated while their sun expanded continuously, shedding its outer layers of helium.

It was said that the people of Khol’isa looked to their Sun with hatred – too far to effectively kill them, and just close enough to sustain a form of life on their frigid planet. They had no snow or ice – their atmosphere worked differently and tainted their skies a dull neon pink. It was said that due to this immense hatred they held for the red giant that their eyes took a different route in evolution, mimicking the star that dragged their existence. That was until the GLA discovered them and unlike the Ngfy’widan, agreed to be taken away from their sun, so close to collapsing into a supernova.

Starved of warmth and any decent semblance of living, the Khol’isa went through generations of psychological trauma and an inability to cope with normalcy. The sun they had cursed with all of their breaths was suddenly more of a comforting thought – something known and something they could understand.

The people of Khol’isa were nearly all driven into madness. The change from their known environment to this new one was too extreme.

But the GLA, with the aid and help of the Yisheng Headquarters, were able to slowly heal and recuperate the species that had dwindled to nearly 1/3rd of their original numbers. The shock of leaving their dying planet to pursue a life in a reality that moved faster than anything they witnessed, that blossomed with a life that they could not understand – there was too much, too many, all at the same time.

But it wasn’t just the Khol’isa that were in a state of perpetual shock. Never had the GLA or the Yisheng Headquarters ever come to witness a species as alien as the Khol’isa.

The Yisheng Headquarters had called it “internal metamorphosis”, a somewhat tamer term to describe the autophagocytosis that comprised the lifecycle of a Khol’isa.

A Khol’isa, in essence, lived on forever. During a certain point of their lifecycle they cocooned themselves into a crystalline form, traning themselves within their own bodies. Basically meaning that at a point in their life, a new series of cells would form that would absorb the old and replace them with more cells. This process took an approximate 3 years during which the Khol’isa would be reduced to nothing more than a lumpy form of cells at the core of the crystalline cocoon and then would grow into the same Khol’isa. It was unclear how much of their original memories remained- but judging by how long it took them as a species to adapt to their new surroundings, the Yisheng Headquarters could surmise that a good amount remained.

‘He is a region-expert and a Communications Manager.’

Region-expert? Namjoon laughs under his breath.

‘K’mara really isn’t trying is she? What does she hope to achieve?’ Sk’jin’s eyes are red and even in picture form they seem almost neon in the way they glow. Khol’isa are known for their double-helix horns, much longer on the females of their species. But Sk’jin’s isn’t even there. Namjoon can’t make out the crystal like protrusions that should be visible. However, every other characteristic screams Khol’isa. Fair pearlescent skin that is delicately rosy at the extremities, pastel hair that could look rosy, pale gold, or even silver in certain lights. And an unexplainable ethereal beauty they exuded that was simultaneously inviting yet threatening at the same time. How did such a beautiful species of Beings come from such a horrendous planet?

‘Are you sure he’s from Khol’isa?’

‘What I’m telling you is all I know. Just like you, Sk’jin and Hoseok have all of their background information and files entirely erased. All that I know is all that is allowed to be known.’ Lmiura purses her lips in contempt. ‘I don’t think I have to tell you not to look directly into his eyes for long periods of time.’

Another thing about the Khol’isa was their unnerving ability to perform some mild level of hypnosis on other Beings. It is believed by some that it was a defensive mechanism that was birthed as a result of their own desperation to rid themselves of the harshness of their planet and provide each other with some form of relief.

And though Namjoon isn’t one to typecast- he really cannot help the distrust that builds in him as he looks at Sk’jin.

Lmiura reaches over and swipes the screen.

‘And that is Yoongi. He will be in charge of security. He was the candidate submitted by the Yisheng Directory.’

He looked ordinary enough, with no outstanding characteristic or feature. His skin was pale and his hair was dark. His stature was a little on the short side, but Namjoon knows to never measure a Beings capabilities based on their height or lack thereof. He was from Raksane Tayi, but he didn’t have the characteristic silver pupils that a Tayian should have. His eyes were almost entirely a solid black.

Namjoon waits for her to elaborate but Lmiura leans away, clearly done with everything that needed to be said.

‘What? That’s it? What is he?’ Namjoon instantly leans forward towards the screen, scanning the minimal information available.

‘I suspect he is one of the GI.’ Lmiura comments casually.

Namjoon does a double take, his mind reeling.

‘That’s not possible. And the GI were handed over to the Venture Unit- not the Yisheng Directory.’ Namjoon frowns. ‘How did Yisheng Amme even get the authority to submit a name for the mission?’

‘I suspect it was Lal Haenoon. He wants to overthrow K’mara- be two-steps ahead of her. By influencing the choice of the Yisheng Directory by making them choose one of his own, he would have double the influence. Because despite everything that has happened- the Yishengs will always command respect and trust- if he has the Yishengs on his side, then the girth of his influence will expand. Either that or he’s trying to build a sort of partnership with Yisheng Amme, in hopes of future collaborations, no doubt.’

‘And? Do you trust her?’ Namjoon thinks back to the Yisheng in question. She was an elder of the Directory- one of the 3 survivors from the original Yisheng Panel of 12. She had been in the System of Ecsaf during the strong of events that lead into the Gaia Case, leading a team of Yishengs in healing a planet from a deadly plague that threatened to annihilate the entire population.

‘I cannot speak for certain,’ Lmiura frowned. ‘All I know is that it is under her authority that he’s being assigned to the mission.’

Namjoon turns to give Lmiura a swift hard look.

The GI- or the Galactic Inquisition- had been the stuff of urban legend that originated from Raksane Tayi. A seemingly immortal cult-like organization that existed in the shadows of the great planetary system, terminating what seemed like unlikely Beings, all for the sake of the Yishengs. The GI wouldn’t be the first extremist radical group that sparked into existence because of their reverence and worshipful approach towards the Yishengs and they certainly wouldn’t be the last. But the GI were more than just that.

Birthed from illegally customized and unethical means, the GI were bioengineered Beings, created and born using AI technology and brought up in subjugated hyper-realism that conducted and recreated muscle memory, skills, ability, communication abilities, and an irrepressible discipline that made them the perfect living weapon. They were not bound to any law or moral obligation- only completely disciplined obedience. Their lives, if you could call it living, extended mission to mission, order to order.

Even Cyborgs and Androids had better moral ethics than the GI agents- though Namjoon believes it’s not an entirely fair comparison considering Cyborgs and Androids were programed to never hurt or compromise the safety of a Living Being. The GI agents existed only for one purpose, and that was to seek out the completion of whatever task assigned to them, in the quickest and swiftest way.

‘If I am to be team-leader I cannot allow someone of his mentality to be part of the team,’ Namjoon states firmly. ‘While Hoseok and Sk’jin may prove to be difficult- it would be easier to appeal to their needs and personality. This one-‘ he nods his chin at the image. ‘-this one won’t be swayed. If his orders are to cause and disrupt all of this mission- there’s no stopping him.’

Lmiura listens to Namjoon intently, nodding as he spoke.

‘There is nothing I can do to prevent his joining the team,’ Lmiura says at long last. ‘If I could, I would assimilate a team of my choosing to carry out this mission. However, both the Venture Unit and the GIU will work to stop me. And they could very well effectively do so. The only chance we have at this is to combine our forces and when you are in dead-space, you will be able to take over.’

Namjoon stares at the three faces again as they form smaller tabs along the wide-screen.

Lmiura stands next to him, sighing heavily again.

‘I am sorry to ask this of you. And I am neither attempting to flatter or sweet-talk you into joining this mission Namjoon- because I know you understand how important this is. But the matter of fact is that I can trust only you to carry the purpose of this mission without being waylaid by personal agenda or influence.’ Lmiura speaks earnestly. ‘This way, we can finally put an end to this entire mess, once and for all, and make safe the Known Universe.’

Namjoon closes the display on the screen and leans back on his desk.

‘When does the mission start?’

Lmiura gives him a true and genuine smile.

‘You will meet your team tomorrow in Šerdesas, Raksane Tayi,’ Lmiura says walking towards the door and having to duck under the doorway. ‘You and your team will be briefed again and you will depart for Bhumi tomorrow evening.’

‘I take it I have a ship waiting for me in the Hangar Bay?’ Namjoon chuckles lowly, already regretting everything.

‘I believe you were the one who gave us the green-light Officer Mron,’ Lmiura shrugs, pulling the syllables of Namjoon’s alias with a purposefully slow drawl. ‘You have an hour to pack and get ready. We have already taken care of your papers and your “employment” here. Don’t be late.’

With that Lmiura ducks out of the room.

Namjoon’s screen alerts him at once of an intruder in his room, a discreet beep sounding in the Comm-Device attached to his earlobe. Snorting, Namjoon rolls his eyes and pulls out his pre-packed travel bag from under his bed as he calls out: ‘Disengage.’

Namjoon always knew he would somehow end up going back to his previous life. But he’d always thought it would be voluntary- after he was ready to face the internal chaos that lay lurking beneath the normalcy and peace of the Known Universe under the GLA.

But it would seem that Life had other plans for him. Because while he did enjoy his slow-paced life here in Dao-3, Namjoon can feel the faint echo of that rushing feeling in his veins- tingling under his skin and pulsing with the fact that his life was going to change drastically again.

Namjoon finishes packing and walks out of his rooms without looking back.

 

 

*

 

 

The first time Hoseok found himself in Šerdesas was 4 years. And he had hoped it would have been the last time he would find himself in the planet.

Šerdesas – the heart and capital planet of the massive planetary system Raksane Tayi was home to nearly every major GLA organization. This included the Galactic Court, the GIU (Galactic Investigative Unit) Official Headquarters, Galactic Trade Sector, the Yisheng Headquarters, and now most recently, the official headquarters for the Venture Unit Board of Divisions.

In light of recent events, it was declared that all independent and or partnered GLA organization must reestablish or relocate their headquarters in Šerdesas. Though this was mainly targeted at the Venture Unit.

Hoseok thinks this is ridiculous. Considering the fact that it wasn’t the Venture Unit who had betrayed and nearly overturned the entire Known Universe. But at the same time, entirely justifiable.

The Venture Unit, in Hoseok’s humble opinion, was a vastly misunderstood, highly romanticized GLA organization. The entirety of the Known Universe seemed to view them in a certain light. One that made them look like debonair master spies that infiltrated pirate-gangs, disrupted and settled corrupt space-border systems, rescued scores of Beings from the tyrannical grasp of some evil space-lord.

While it was true that they did indeed dabble in such heroic endeavors but the reality behind it was a lot less glamorous and extremely foul. Everything was primarily based on back-stabbing, selling Beings out, way too much blood (or whatever fluid you functioned by), deep-level hacking, and an insane amount of blackmail.

So despite not having anything to do with the Akramanese issue, the Venture Unit was still, yet again, justifiably kept under a stricter watch, with added policies and reformation that basically reduced their overall network strength and anonymity.

At least this is what most Beings were told.

The Venture Unit though uninvolved with the entire Akramanese issue, had still been caught at the very center of it all, being played by the very organization that started it all. In all honesty, Hoseok guesses that it was the perfect cover-up, the perfect disguise.

The GLA, otherwise known as the Galactic Law Authority, was the system that governed, controlled, and regulated almost more than 75% of all known trade routes, governments, political systems, and hierarchy within the galaxies and systems of the Known Universe. The GLA headquarters was situated in the center of the largest planetary system known to all Beings – Raksane Tayi.

And supporting and verifying the GLA was the Yisheng Directory- an organization independent of the GLA but collaborating with them. While the GLA did not hold any authority over the Yisheng Directory, they worked side by side to bring unity and peace across the universe. To bring together planets, systems, and galaxies to unite into one large working intergalactic system.

The Yishengs were a random assortment of Beings that hailed from nearly every corner of the universe. They were Beings indiscriminately born with higher Life-force that they could use to effectively heal anyone/anything that had Life-force. And it wasn’t an ability that they could use inexhaustibly- because when a Yisheng healed you, they imparted their own Life-force to renew, regrow, and refuel into yours. This could leave Yishengs drained and weak- and young inexperienced Yishengs would often spend up their Life-force, going past the limit due to overzealousness.

And while Yishengs predominantly used their abilities to heal, they could also reverse their abilities to injure, maim, destroy, and kill. A single powerful Yisheng could destroy planets in a matter of hours- create viruses with no cure, and combined they could probably destroy suns. But whatever supernatural force governed the Universe- whatever turn of fate or destiny orchestrated all Life, all Yishengs born were always genuinely good Beings who wholeheartedly devoted themselves for the benefit of others and the Universe.

Many across the Universe regarded Yishengs as gods- deities to be worshipped. If not, they were regarded with the highest and utter most respect and awe. And with the partnership with the Yisheng Directory, the GLA were able to properly unite the Universe in peace.

Which was why it came as a complete and utter shock that the Yisheng Directory, or at least a few of the Yisheng Elders, were the instigators of the attempt to destroy free-will and assert their domination over the Universe.

Hoseok scowls to himself. Thinking again of this didn’t send him spiraling into an overwhelmed state of mind anymore; unlike the first time he had discovered the truth for himself. In fact Hoseok doesn’t quite remember his reaction- only that he had woken up on the floor, and he was still reeling from the discovery.

You have arrived at the Yisheng Headquarters. Please mind the gap between train and platform!’

Hoseok reprimands himself for having lost his bearings momentarily as he steps out into the wide platform, alongside other Beings.

And although the Yisheng Directory had been plotting to completely takeover the Universe, Hoseok still finds himself relaxing at the close proximity he was in with the Headquarters. This entire region of Šerdesas was enriched and flourishing with the intensity of Life-force the Headquarters exuded. Most Beings who were unwell simply came to the Headquarters to recover. Hoseok can feel the tightness around his shoulders ebb away, the fatigue in his muscles completely vanish, and a much more light-hearted attitude than when he boarded the train from the closest Dock.

It was terrifying, in retrospect, knowing that they had all been living with their necks under a very sharp ax held by a Demon disguised as an Angel. And that very Demon was the force behind all of the “unity” and “peace” they were now happily living under.

The Yisheng Headquarters hasn’t changed much from the last time Hoseok saw it some 4 years ago. It was still a low sprawling network of domed buildings, the colour of faded sunstone. It felt nostalgic and almost home-like to those who beheld it. It exuded comfort, care, and most of all, a promise that everything would be okay.

Hoseok shudders a little as he walks closer.

‘There is continuum that exists beyond the identity of Being, beyond the properties that are essential to the existence of being. The endless exchange, the endless surety that what starts, what is, what forms, has an end. There is no end of the spectrum- where one end begets life, and the other ends it. It is a cycle that exists beyond the realm of existence – beyond the realm of Matter and Time and Space. A cycle that Is. A cycle that is continuum. A cycle that unapologetically moves forward. Because where there is a beginning, there is always an end. Where there is an end, there is always a beginning.’

Hoseok pauses, squinting to look beyond the grove of trees from where the voices were coming from. He steps closer and finds an elderly Yisheng, his hair an emerald green streaking with silver- the only physical alteration Yishengs had that represented their status. Around him are young children- no more than 6-8 sols. They were reciting the Yisheng Code.

‘Life-force is a mysterious thing. It exists in everything and is the main component that comprises and formulates all Living Beings. It is the energy that exists between the bonds of atoms, the link that connects respiration to the intangible reactions that supply oxygen to fuel every cell, the elevation of the mind that brings forth the power of the mind and imagination. It is Life. It is Soul. It is everything that makes you Alive.’

Hoseok feels a slight shiver run down his spine.

‘Former agent Hoseok.’

Hoseok turns sharply, taking a minor step back and putting his weight on the heel of his foot.    

‘Director Lal Haenoon. Good afternoon,’ Hoseok says unable to control the curtness in his words.

‘A happy sight I make no doubt,’ Lal Haenoon grins.

Hoseok instantly feels the need to leave.

Lal Haenoon was a Raksane Tayian, born and raised. Hoseok did not like him. In fact, Hoseok could safely say he did not like anyone from the Board of Directors. But it was also safe to say Hoseok liked him least. And was grateful that his Division had not been taken under his metaphoric wing. But rather under the very literal wing of S’ava Hhlai, a Being from the planet of Rlams’a, their entire species characterized by the wing-like protrusion from their backs, featherless and all stretched skin. They were terrifying to behold during the night under dim lights. While most Beings were afraid of the Rlams’a, and therefore terrified of S’ava Hhlai, Hoseok for reasons he doesn’t understand, wants to touch the thin stretch of pale lavender skin to see if it was as elastic as it looked. For obvious reasons, Hoseok has not done this. He looks around briefly for his ex-Division head but does not find the willowy Being.

‘I’m sure you thought S’ava would be here but alas!’ Lal Haenoon grins in what Hoseok assumes is the latter trying to look apologetic. ‘I would like to say he’s just busy and will be joining us but I cannot lie!’

Lal Haenoon was a short, slight Being, and formidably intelligent. The original inhabitants of the planets of Raksane Tayi were gifted with incredible intelligence and empathy, the charisma of leadership, and the ability to bring together Beings. They had a very anthropomorphic built, but with distinct silver pupils that gave foundation to their collective species nickname “dusty eyes”. But this Tayian was everything that contradicted his species fair characteristics. Even his pupils, a characteristic that gave the Tayians a rather distinctly enlightened appearance, was darker than his fellow species.

‘This has to stay between the two of us. You know how it is- the Gaia Case is a very delicate one.’ He sighs dolefully though Hoseok doesn’t buy it for a second. He looks past Hoseok and smiles at the sight of the young Yishengs.

‘A new generation of Yishengs- look at them- so bright and eager to learn. We did this- all of us. We’re all here and alive!’ he claps his hands together before clapping Hoseok on the shoulder. ‘I don’t think I’ve ever thanked you for what you did- an excellent choice! We would have never progressed with our purge had it not been for you!’

‘It’s not something I take pride in- many were killed. Needlessly and wastefully,’ Hoseok replies shortly.

‘Sacrifices had to be made. It was not a lot if you think of all we have saved,’ Lal Haenoon gestures towards the Headquarters, ‘Come, I wish to speak to you before you meet your fellow team-members.’

Hoseok briefly entertains the idea of flooring Lal Haenoon (undoubtedly easy to do- Hoseok could do it blind-folded) and skipping this entire shady- mission. But he doesn’t.

‘I am happy that you agreed to partake in this mission. I do not doubt for a single second that you will fail me,’ Lal Haenoon walks at pace that feels too slow for Hoseok, reducing the natural pace of his feet. He knows he’s doing it on purpose. Lal Haenoon enjoyed irking people in the smallest ways- but never in a way where he could be implemented.

‘This is a mission that I am taking for the safety of the Universe, Director.’ Hoseok states, replying with an ease he didn’t feel. ‘I did not take it to serve under the orders of the Board.’

Lal Haenoon gives him a swift look before continuing, ‘As I mentioned before- due to the Gaia Case and its outcome, and the Treaty signed between Bhumi and the GLA, we cannot simply take over and overhaul the Bhumi System. And we definitely cannot have K’mara or Lmiura take control either. K’mara is conniving as she is spiteful towards the Venture Unit- she would take this opportunity to ruin us and everything we have ever done for the Universe. Lmiura believes she knows and understands the scope of what all of this could imply- what all of this could provide- but she does not. We cannot allow them to deter us- no matter what. And I need you to be there to make sure that the Venture Unit comes out on top in this mission.’

Hoseok keeps a straight face as he nods.

Lal Haenoon gives him a reassuring smile that does anything but reassure Hoseok and he follows him inside the Headquarters.

There was a simple beauty to the Headquarters- so in tune with all that was alive, and so accommodating and comfortable. Despite everything Hoseok knows, he finds himself feeling safer again. The large Atrium is well lit with natural light diffused with glowing soft spots on the walls. Green creepers extend out, branching over at random, almost wildly like no one cared which direction they were growing. Comfortable cushioned benches were arranged at a seemingly random arrangement but didn’t look cluttered or messy to Hoseok. The ceiling was domed and you could see the Šerdesas’s famed pale violet sky above.

They stop in front of the large reception desk, a young Yisheng-in-training stands behind it. He was dressed in the traditional Yisheng uniform of pale green, customized for each Species.

‘We are here to meet with Yisheng Amme,’ Lal Haenoon leans into the desk with one arm.

‘Yisheng Amme is at the 3rd Conference Hall in the West Wing- you may take Elevator-09 down the left hallway,’ the young Yisheng points one long thing arm towards the left.

‘Thank you,’ Lal Haenoon salutes the Yisheng cheerily.

But before they can take more than a few steps, Hoseok feels the hair on the back of his neck stand and feels a chill run down his spine. If he’s not mistaken, Lal Haenoon also seems to feel the same thing and they both turn to find Admiral K’mara standing at the wide doorways that lead into the Atrium.

Admiral K’mara, one of the GIU Trifecta was a powerful figure whose leadership within the GIU saw the organization rise to a high military power within the GLA. She was petite in build, she would probably barely graze Hoseok’s chin with the top of her head- but her presence was cowering. And it was such a contrast considering how delicate and ethereal she looked. She wore a magnificent robe in muted shimmering gold. There were tiny bells that hung from delicate crystal like double-helix horns that extended up from the crown of her head. She was breathtaking as she was deadly.

‘Lal Haenoon.’ Her voice is demure and gentle yet commanding attention and awe at the same time. She inclines her head towards the Raksane Tayian. And though Hoseok knows he shouldn’t be feeling this way, he can’t help but feel a little pleased at how Lal Haenoon seems uncomfortable with her presence.

‘Admiral,’ he responds a little gruffly.

‘And Hoseok,’ her neon-red eyes turn to Hoseok and he instantly looks away. Instead he bows his head out of customary respect as was tradition in Ngfy’widan. She laughs at his action, clearly knowing why he refused to look at her.

‘We are in neutral grounds- are we not all friends?’

Hoseok wants to roll his eyes. Instead he stands up straight and smiles back in return.

‘Of course Admiral.’

There’s a snort of a laugh and walking in behind K’mara is a slender Being, dressed similarly to K’mara in flowing robes of muted gold that’s a bit more grey than yellow. And Hoseok recognizes him as Sk’jin, the “Region Expert” and “Communications Manager” of their quad-unit.

They made an extremely visually appealing duo and Hoseok’s senses are telling him to run asap when 2 pairs of neon-red eyes fix on him. Their combined beauty is unnerving and forces you into a state of high-strung alertness. But the moment Hoseok is used to whatever glamour was cast around them, he notes something distinctly different about Sk’jin in comparison to K’mara. And though Hoseok has only ever seen one Khol’isa before- and that was K’mara, Hoseok can’t explain what it was that made Sk’jin seem somewhat not entirely like their shared species.

Hoseok doesn’t care for politeness or discretion as he scans Sk’jin’s appearance over carefully while K’mara divulges into a round of pleasantries with Lal Haenoon, who seemed to be getting more and more uncomfortable with each passing second. Lal Haenoon could you uncomfortable but K’mara made you literally squirm.

Sk’jin seems to know what Hoseok is doing and even stands in a way where Hoseok can study him better, giving him a quirk of a smile and a quick wink.

Hoseok still can’t point it out. Never in his near century long of working as a field infiltration agent has he ever come up with so many blanks and questions as he reads someone. It was a required and intensively trained part of his skill set, to assess and evaluate complete strangers and come up with an immediate and accurate reading. Assessment was key to survival in his field of work- and Hoseok finds himself wishing he had refused S’ava’s offer. All Agents within the Venture Unit had the opportunity to refuse missions- and especially with Hoseok no longer working for the organization, he could have easily said no.

He glances over at Sk’jin’s head, noting again that he didn’t have even a single trace of the crystal-like double-helix horn like K’mara did. The crown of his head was clear and no scar remained to indicate any damage or injury that could possibly lead to him losing his horns.

‘It’s rude to stare, Head Pilot Hoseok,’ Sk’jin smiles, inclining his head to the side a little. ‘All though it’s perfectly understandable.’

Before Hoseok can reply, Lal Haenoon and K’mara finish their strained exchange of pleasantries and make for the left hallway.

‘We are to be team mates, Hoseok,’ Sk’jin casually converses. His words are very well enunciated, an almost poetic manner of pulling on the syllables. If Hoseok wasn’t already so paranoid, he would think that his mannerism befitted his image,- an eloquent speech to match the elegance of the speaker.

‘As the Communications Manager, it is my duty to make sure that the Head Pilot is well equipped as he commandeers the ship. I will do my utmost to make sure that all channels are free and open for you to access at any given time,’ Sk’jin inclines his head gracefully. ‘I hope you will rely on me as we make sure that the Universe is once again secured.’

‘Of course,’ Hoseok replies, distrust mounting in him by the kilotons, making his entire being heavy with anticipation and wariness. ‘I look forward to working with you and discussing on matters regarding your expertise to ensure a safer passage during our journey.’

‘I have many expertise,’ Sk’jin gives him a smiling sideway glance. ‘I am open to sharing them all.’

Hoseok mentally adds Sk’jin into the list of Beings he doesn’t trust at once- right beneath Lal Haenoon and K’mara. It’s a tight squeeze but he’s there at once. Hoseok nods back stiffly and Sk’jin bows his head elegantly again, looking away with the slightest smirk.

The elevator ride is ridiculously awkward- and purposefully so because K’mara and Sk’jin don’t say a single word, smiling only to themselves rather serenely and exchanging small looks as though they were sharing some inside joke. It did nothing to calm down Lal Haenoon who was visibly sweating. Hoseok finds himself both admiring and loathing the two Khol’isa in equal measurement.

The elevator doors open directly into a large domed theater studio. Like every other section of the Headquarters, this large space was lit by the glass dome overhead. Half circles of raised shelves ringed the theater studio and at the center was a slightly raised dais around which 5 Beings were gathered. It’s reminiscent of the first room where they had their impromptu Court hearing except brighter and less somber.

‘Admiral K’mara, Chief Lal Haenoon- welcome,’ a voice calls out, too deep to be considered feminine. ‘And Hoseok of Ngfy’wid, and Sk’jin of Khol’isa.’

Hoseok bows again before stepping forward alongside the other three.

He recognizes most of the Beings near the dais.

Yisheng Amme who had greeted them stands at the center of the semi-circle they have formed around the dais. She was from the heavily tropical planet of Khhem, a planet that no one other than her own species could enter due to the extreme weather conditions that wrapped around the small planet. And though if you were “lucky” enough to safely make it past the storming and broiling ionosphere, and somehow landed on the damp valleys of their terrain- you would be killed by the highly acidic air that was natural for the planet. Khhem’s atmosphere compromised mainly of sulfuric acid and ammonium bisulfate due to the continuous heterogeneous oxidation of sulfuric/nitrate dioxide. The toxicity in their soil was a result of the natural excess of fossil fuel that boiled in large sections across their southern hemisphere- the fumes from these pools would then oxidize in their naturally catalyzing atmosphere. But if you were prepared with some sturdy air-tanks and strong spacesuits that somehow escaped the corrosive touch of the equally acidic soil, then you would most likely be mauled to death by the carnivorous nightmare inducing wild monsters that freely roamed the acidic planet.

Her people, the Khhemsa, were almost as equally terrifying as the monsters that roamed her land and waters. With little to no anthropomorphic features, the Khhemsa stood at nearly 2 meters in height on average, with 2 pairs of spindly and knotted appendages that functioned for arms and a pair powerful legs that compromised most of their height. They were powerful runners, outrunning the monsters that roamed their lands, surviving the harsh conditions of their planets during the first stages of developing their communities in their own version of civilization development. And to help keep their balance as they ran on all 6 appendages, was a long sinewy tail that ended in a sharp protruding bone. Legend had it that it was once poisonous but after eras of evolution, lost its poisonous attribute and was now instead a useful defensive mechanism. Their skin, an interesting biological phenomena that was impermeable to the acidic nature of their planet, was a deep blood red and scaly in appearance. They had 3 pairs of beady eyes lined up around their angular faces angled upwards, and a wide set mouth that didn’t fully close, revealing needle-like teeth. Being naturally hairless, Yisheng Amme did not carry the trademark silver hair of her rank- but rather her eyes carried on the trait, somehow adding an even scarier contribution to an already frightening species.

If Hoseok was being honest, he would simply describe the Khhemsa as nightmarish because as they step closer he senses all 6 eyes following after him and he fights the urge to simply get the out again.

Standing next to Yisheng Amme and an entire head shorter is Chief Xmi Head of the Galactic Security and Safety Department. He looks drained and exhausted, not a surprising look for someone of his responsibility. Chief Shn’ow Head of the Trade Department stood to Xmi’s left. He was good friends with Lal Haenoon and gave the latter a friendly nod. Lal Haenoon immediately turns to walk towards where Shn’ow stood.

Standing at Yisheng Amme’s right are Chief Lmiura and a Being Hoseok immediately recognizes as the single key Information Analyst whose findings lead the entire Venture Unit to retrieve into their own emancipation to weed out those involved with the Yishengs in their mission to overthrow the Universe.

Namjoon looks different from the last time Hoseok saw him in Court. He looked healthier and was no longer sickeningly thin- no doubt because he wasn’t stressing for his life and the outcome of the Universe anymore. His hair wasn’t the scraggly blond it used to be- now instead a dark shiny brown and neatly styled away. He no longer looked haggard and bedraggled either- instead he looked smart in his nondescript dark blazer and trousers. He was dressed yet again in a high-collared shirt, covering the entirety of his neck. The only skin exposed are his hands. And Hoseok knows why.

The people of Kutsoglera fell victim to one of the biggest pirate-raids known in recent GLA history. Originally a peaceful and rather primitive planet, set during the beginnings of a global settlement, the people of Kutsoglera were a simple and happy folk. That was until the raid took place. They were not a part of the GLA- so they had no help, no hope, as the pirates swarmed them with proton-missiles and TeorSer fire. The entire planet was raided, their people killed, and those who survived were sold into slavery or worse. Kutsoglera was transformed into a crude pirate-controlled planet and her people were cruelly violated and tortured. Attempts at biological experimentation rose and the Kutsoglerin were the living subjects.

This reign of terror lasted half a century before the Venture Unit was able to rescue the planet. But by then only a mere 80,000 of her people were alive. They were already at a low population, but now chances of extinction were high because most of them succumbed to their conditions and their numbers dwindled. The Yishengs were able to heal and cure those who survived but there were those whose experimentations went too far- and they would live the remainder of their lives carrying the physical weight of their horrendous past with them.

Hoseok himself has never read the files regarding the extensive and cruel experiments conducted on the people of Kutsoglera but he has a sinking feeling that Namjoon would sooner kill him then reveal what was done to him. He must have been a child during the raid.   

Namjoon was widely known throughout the secretive realm of the Venture Unit as one of the most brilliant and highly intelligent strategist and Analyst. He had been involved in the case since the beginning, before they knew what the implications of anything meant.

It was Namjoon who had discovered the link between the System of Bhumi and the Akramanese. It was Namjoon who discovered the link between the Akramanese and the Yisheng. And with his findings, the Venture Unit immediately pulled out of the GLA- intent on cleaning out their own organization. Namjoon had single-handedly worked to uncover each informant, each spy, each traitor.

When K’mara goes to stand next to Namjoon, he smiles politely at her, bowing at the waist elegantly and taking her proffered hand and placing a barely there kiss over her knuckles. He’s still bowed over a little as he listens to K’mara, an engaging smile on his face.

And this was what Hoseok didn’t trust about Namjoon. In fact this is what he didn’t trust about anyone involved in the Gaia Case. They all worked under a mask of pretend-unity, united with the intention to bring safety and peace for the Universe while plotting to undermine the other with their own set of plans and ideals.

Namjoon bows again to Sk’jin who is all smiles and graceful manner, long flowing sleeves drifting almost in slow-motion as he shakes Namjoon’s hand. K’mara is seemingly introducing them and Sk’jin has a wide-eyed look of innocent awe as he gazes up at Namjoon. Hoseok could retch from the pretentiousness.

Lmiura is nodding politely at K’mara behind Namjoon and then at Sk’jin who bows elegantly again.

Hoseok is already tired from the direction this trip was clearly headed for. Namjoon was appointed the team-leader as well as Navigator. They were going to have to work with each other consistently- the Head-Pilot and Navigator were the pillars of balance inside any ship. If Namjoon was how he presented himself at Court- then flying to Bhumi and completing their mission would be easy. To an extent. Hoseok doesn’t know where Namjoon’s stands in this entire mission. He was a member of the Venture Unit before- working tirelessly to help the remainder of the Board of Divisions to set their organization right and remove the traitors. But he was a candidate from Lmiura.

Hoseok glances over at Sk’jin. He definitely did not trust the Khol’isa. Not only was he a direct member of K’mara’s innermost circle, Hoseok could not find any concrete information on his background or records in any of the Archives but public and illegal. It was as though Sk’jin never existed.

‘Now that we have all gathered here,’ Yisheng Amme calls out after Sk’jin steps back behind K’mara, sending a wink at Hoseok.

‘We may begin our meeting.’

Hoseok does a quick count. The 6 members of the special Jury were present. Namjoon, Sk’jin, and himself were present from the quad-team. There was one missing.

He catches Sk’jin doing a quick count as well, eyeing the Yisheng curiously in return.

‘I beg your pardon Yisheng Amme for interrupting you,’ Hoseok calls out, plastering on a smile on his face. ‘But I believe we’re missing one?’

‘All are present.’

Hoseok’s skin crawls, his hair standing on end. How had he not seen him?

Standing behind Yisheng Amme is a figure clad entirely in pitch black. The sight of the uniform shakes Hoseok to his core- having seen glimpses of dark figures swiftly killing and vanishing from sight in a manner of seconds.

The agents of the Galactic Inquisition were numbered at a mere 2,500. And a single one of them could singlehandedly assassinate an entire building of Beings in under an hour and raise no alarms. S’ava had only guessed that Yoongi, the teams weapon-specialist, was a former member of the GI. But Hoseok had deemed it impossible.

Agents from the GI were still being healed and being reintroduced to the Universe outside of their warped reality. Most of them had disintegrated into the mental state of an infant. Deadly killers from urban-legends were now unable to feed themselves without help, unable to speak or comprehend their surroundings. So what was he doing here?

He didn’t look any different from the image on the report Hoseok had received a few days ago. Pale skin, dark hair, dark eyes, no outstanding features. And for someone of such a deadly background, Hoseok wasn’t able to detect his presence at all. Unlike how he’d felt K’mara and Sk’jin’s presence- he felt nothing from Yoongi.

There was nothing. Hoseok could read nothing.

And this, more than anything, frightens him.

Hoseok glances over at the others to see their reaction. Sk’jin’s calm demeanor is broken, a visible frown on his face. K’mara looks stunned. Namjoon has taken a physical step back, Lmiura’s eyes are widened. Lal Haenoon had let out an audible gasp and grabbed on to Sh’now’s arm in his alarm. Xmi and Yisheng Amme were the only ones unaffected and Hoseok guesses it’s because they knew he was there from the beginning.

‘Like I said,’ Yisheng Amme continues, her sharp teeth showing fully. ‘We will begin our meeting.’

She takes a single step forward and with one of her hands, places a small orb like object on the ground. The Dais lights up holographic projections, rendering briefly before a trajectory lights up stretched across a wide space.

‘As you have all read the reports and have been briefed by your supervisors, I do not think it is necessary to brief you again.’ Yisheng Amme states. ‘This is your trajectory- or at least the public version of it. Namjoon, as Navigator, you will be responsible in plotting out a trajectory that will guide you away from most check points and away from the eyes of the public GLA Docks. Hoseok, as Head-Pilot, you will be responsible for the safety of the ship, therefore your team, and the “cargo” you will be taking. Sk’jin will be responsible for Communications- he will negotiate your journey safely in case you come across situations that cannot allow a more aggressive approach. However, if an aggressive approach is needed, Yoongi, in charge of security, will be handling the situation. You all have your positions that you will dedicate yourselves to. One weak link will lead to the failure of the mission. Is this understood.’

Hoseok nods; Sk’jin and Namjoon nod as well but Yoongi remains motionless. But Amme doesn’t seem to mind.

‘The cargo you carry will contains the technology required to revive the planetary system of Bhumi. We have not been able to gain any additional information regarding the planets within it. We’ve been able to find gaps in their shield that prevents us from really scanning the System to confirm the snippets of footage we’ve been able to collect. You can overview the footage after our meeting is adjourned.’ Amme adds with a short nod towards Namjoon who looked like he had a question. But regardless of the clear indication to not interrupt Namjoon cuts in.

‘I have a comment,’ Namjoon says calmly with a polite smile that doesn’t quite reach his eyes as he gazes at the glowing trajectory. ‘If this is indeed important to the GLA then they could declare this as another mission under their own colonization policies,-‘

‘This is not possible because of the Treaty signed between Bhumi and the GLA,’ Chief Xmi quickly answers. ‘The Treaty bars us and any GLA authorized mission or visit from entering their space-borders. It also obliges us to take measures from our side to make sure that we honor their side of the Treaty by preventing others from entering their borders. Which is why at this current moment, none of you are authorized by any organization.’

‘Now that that has been cleared up,’ Amme continues with a thankful nod of her head towards Xmi. ‘That is the disguise you will be using when you fly to Bhumi- a trade ship delivering items to Matlaab.’

The holograph projection changes and a model-size of a compact and medium-sized ship appears instead. 4 separate engine-wings with powerful independent propeller finds that give way to beamer-charged anti-matter propeller that will burn with no visible colour in space. Reversible landing gages weighed under the engine wings for landing and the main body was of a sturdy rectangular construct. It could easily house 20 Beings in it, judging simply by the size of it. But Hoseok guesses a majority of the space inside would be used for cargo storage.

‘But due to an error, you will be waylaid and end up by mistake in Bhumi. Considering that it’s dead-space, there will be no Docks, forcing your hand to take you to what appears to be a moon in order to repair your ship.’ Lal Haenoon chimes in. ‘All communications will be cut after this point- and I’m afraid you really will be left alone after this point.’

‘I beg your pardon?’ Sk’jin asks politely.

‘There is no contact beyond the space-borders of Bhumi,’ K’mara says pleasantly. ‘Due to the Bhumian technology. It scrambles all communication waves sent from inside of Bhumi. But to an extent- we might be able to contact you and track you. You will not be entirely alone.’ She gives Lal Haenoon a reprimanding look to which the latter replies with a sheepish shrug.

‘We understand that this is a lot to carry.’ Lmiura speaks out for the first time. ‘This is not an easy mission, nor is it a safe one. We cannot guarantee your safety outside of what you can provide yourselves once you’re inside the System. But what we are you- what you all are doing- is making sure that the Gaia Case does not happen again.’

‘The events that took place on Earth- it was a result of our blindness, our pride, and our vanity,’ Amme’s voice is quiet. ‘Due to the decisions made by my brothers and sisters, we allowed the creation of the Akramanese; a force of reality that we still cannot comprehend, existing beyond the dimensions that we know and understand. It was our fault that they set out set out to destroy all that we know and love. Our search for a permanent peaceful unity birthed the most guile and senseless form of death and cruelty. And we will do everything in our power, to stop that from ever happening again. And that can be stopped, by making sure that Bhumi is once again secured and made safe.’

‘Well-spoken Yisheng,’ Lal Haenoon claps cheerily, breaking the solemn atmosphere and filling it with mild irritation and looks of disdain. ‘Now that you all know what have to do, why you have to do it- it is time for you to do it!’

‘You will be equipped with everything you will need inside the ship. Every comfort possible, and a Class-2 GLA Pass- so that things don’t look too suspicious for a private trade ship.’ K’mara smiles as though she found it amusing. ‘The cargo has already been sent to the Yisheng Hangar Bay carrying both the terraforming technology as well as dispensary technology to make sure that nothing of Akramanese make remains.’

‘This mission is expected to take 2 sols,’ Lmiura summarizes. ‘You will have unconditional funding for every single step and after the success of the mission, you will be granted full retirement and exemption from any past records. Do any of you have any questions?’

None of them do.

‘Then that’s great! Here’s your GLA Pass,’ Chief Sh’now tosses it careless at Namjoon who catches it deftly without looking at it, instead leveling the Chief of Trade with a hard look, no attempts made in smiling. ‘Take care of yourselves and that ship- I chose her personally- treat her well!’ Sh’now slaps Hoseok on the shoulder before pompously walking out. Hoseok wants to take the metallic card from Namjoon’s hands and throw it back at Sh’now right between his squinty little watery eyes.

Lal Haenoon grips his arm firmly, as though to remind him of what he’d said and gives him what Hoseok suspects is a look Lal Haenoon thinks makes him look mysterious and cool. In all honesty it makes him look like an idiot and Hoseok hopes he trips on his way out.

He doesn’t.

Chief Xmi performs a complicated looking bow towards them, a fleeting expression of regret as he sweeps the room one more time before nodding at Amme and he too exits though it’s towards a door Hoseok hadn’t seen when he walked in.

‘We hope and pray for your success,’ Lmiura says as she and K’mara step away from the dais.

‘We hope you will remember the importance of this mission when you are forced to make difficult decisions,’ K’mara says sagely.

Hoseok doesn’t know why, but he feels a slight chill at her words.

‘I hope you all get along,’ she adds with a sly smile before turning and leaving with Lmiura the way Xmi had left.

Amme is left and she lifts all of her arms up, palms looking upwards. She motions for them to stand in front of her and Hoseok finds himself standing in between Yoongi and Sk’jin and finds it greatly uncomfortable.

The Yisheng Directory may have lost their authority within the GLA and its other organizations, but Hoseok still finds himself regarding them with respect. It might be conditioning, but Hoseok would rather not condemn an entire organization of Beings based on the decisions and actions of a few who represent them. His life in the Venture Unit and before that taught him as much.

And despite her appearance that was worthy of nightmares, Hoseok feels nothing but profound sorrow from the Khhemsa as she looks down at all of them. She spreads out her arms over their heads, as though she was about to bless them. Hoseok doesn’t know what to do here exactly- was this a Yisheng thing? Or was this her own cultural thing?

Unexpectedly, Yoongi to his side kneels down on one knee, head bent.

Sk’jin is quick to follow and also kneels down elegantly, his hair is pale pink in this light. Hoseok’s distrust spikes.

Hoseok and Namjoon share a quick look before they both kneel as well.

‘And in the tongues and dialect of all those who call this Universe their home, I bid you, my brothers, the blessings of one, the blessings of all.’

This suddenly doesn’t feel like a mission to Hoseok anymore. He’s reminded of something else that he can’t exactly remember.

Next to him, Yoongi stands, and Sk’jin follows simultaneously. Hoseok and Namjoon stand together as well.

Amme raises only one hand up and she tilts her head up towards the sky. Her hand reaches up, as though waiting for something.

And Hoseok finds himself really taking the time to listen properly.

He can hear leaves rustling faintly, a faint echo from somewhere of someone’s footsteps. The soft murmur of the wind.

Yoongi raises his hand up too, causing the other three to do the same. A few seconds later, Amme closes her hand and holds her closed fist at the center of her chest- no doubt where her heart lay.

They all move to do the same.

‘And when you find yourself in times of trouble or woe, listen to the music from the stars- and let them guide you with their wisdom, Memory, and Time.’

And Hoseok realizes, as he holds his fist over his heart, that this reminds him of a funeral.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 

 

(Author’s Note)

 

I’M BACK Y’ALL!! HERE IS THE NOT-EXACTLY-SEQUEL-SEQUEL TO AMULGOE!!! I HOPE MY OLD READERS WILL ENJOY THIS AS MUCH AS THEY DID AMULGOE AND I HOPE MY NEW READERS ENJOY THIS JUST AS MUCH!

Like I said this isn’t exactly a sequel to AMULGOE, so you don’t have to read it- this can be read as a stand-alone fic because I will explain everything anyways. But if you want to- the A Misguided and Unnecessarily Long Galactic Odyssey to Earth is a 80 chapter 750,000K monster of a fic that you VERY welcome to read!

I will be updating every Wednesday night! Until uni starts *sighs heavily*

I’m so nervous guys!! I’m back with a chaptered fic from the same amulgoe-verse and I’m nervous. I really hope you all enjoy it! please come scream at me on twitter/tumblr/ao3/aff! I will scream back!

See you next Wednesday!

(PS)- the ship looks very similar to the Prometheus from the Prometheus movie