Chapter 6|The Strange Dream

The Devil's Labyrinth

Chapter 6|The Strange Dream

You carefully held the puzzle in your hand and looked down at it, L leaned down at you and whispered in your ear, “It’s fine, it won’t runaway, you can stop looking at it.” Placing the piece in your pocket you looked up at the ahjumma, you found your eyes drenched with tears, you bit your lower lip as the flashback of him being killed appeared. You just stared at her in pain.

“Umm… Hello,” you heard L’s voice, turning you looked at him.

“What is it?” you asked.

“I think we should leave,” he whispered as you nodded.

“Ahjumma, I don’t think you remember, but I use to be raise by. I came here to visit you,” you smiled at her, she then nodded and beamed a warm smile at you. “If that’s so, then you’re welcome to come and visit anytime.”

You bowed slightly signaling your gratefulness towards her, but as you raised your head up you couldn’t stop crying, covering your mouth in pain you cried as the ahjumma watched your poignant expression. She slowly made her way to you and hugged you in her arms, she gently whispered to you, “It’s okay, don’t cry. Ahjumma will always be there for you. Just let everything out.”

You swallowed back your tears and released yourself from her hug, “Thank you ahjumma. Thank you for everything you’ve done,” you cried as you wiped your tears. The ahjumma smiled at you and then asked, “Would you like to have lunch with us?” You didn’t think and nodded immediately.

Everyone surrounded around the table, little kids and teens, they all happily said in their seats as they waited for ahjumma’s delicious homemade lunch. “Why are even we here? You know I can’t eat your ‘human’ food,” L complained as he was playing with the chopsticks. “I want to spend some time with her, I don’t think you’ll mind,” you smiled.

“For your information, yes, I do mind,”

“Relax, you’ll survive, you ate steak before,”

“That was because you forced me to,”

“Don’t blame everything on me, who was the one who opened their mouth?”

“Erm… Me…?”

“See?”

“…*speechless… I’ll get you back,”

“I’ll be waiting,”

***

After that ‘exciting’ day at the orphanage, you felt as though your soul has been rested. You’ve finally managed to release the weight off your heart. After around 1000 years of holding it back you felt glad for your father. From 800 years ago, he was a hardworking man, but now he could rest.

Cheerfully swaying your legs back and forth you happily drank your coffee, although L made it for you, it wasn’t the best but it was still tasty. “I never knew you know how to make coffee,” you laughed as he glared at you. “I’ve never said I couldn’t make coffee,” he answered.

“Fine, whatever, I’m sorry for asking,”

“You’re forgiven,”

“…*sigh… Anyways, why are you a spider demon?”

“What do you mean ‘why’? That’s what I am,”

“Geez! Forget I asked,”

“Okay, I’ll forget,”

“What do I do now?”

“You can do whatever you like,”

“Aish! Talking to you is like talking to a robot, can’t you answer in a more longer sentence?”

“Sure, let me rephrase that….*clears throat… You can choose to do whatever you like, either sleep, eat, drink, take a shower, go shopping or even do some gardening. If that doesn’t satisfy you then you can choose to do the house chores or let me eat you,”

“…*jaw drops… No, not thanks. You should just talk the way you did before, I’m fine, I won’t ask you anymore questions,” you answered as you closed your mouth and stayed quiet for the entire time.

***

Life for you was like a repeating cycle, you did the same thing every day. As you woke up that morning you felt lifeless as usual. Sitting by the well washing the entire household’s clothing, your arms had gotten worn out and your mind was on nothing but the scene of your father being killed, you felt heart trenching.

Suddenly you heard footsteps coming towards you from behind, as you turned you saw a smile on their face. “Oppa, what are you doing here? Aren’t you supposed to be in the kitchen cooking for master?” you asked as he took a seat beside you. “Master is still sleeping. Here, let me help you,” he said as he signaled you to move aside and started washing the clothes for you.

“Oppa, you’re a chef, do you know how to wash the clothes?”

“Of course I do,”

“Thank you anyways,”

“Oh, I heard you’ve stay in the stockroom, are you okay?”

“I’m fine,”

“Did you get anything to eat?”

“…*nod… Master’s personal servant sneaked in and gave me some food,”

“Okay, that’s good, do you know what he’s name was?”

“No, I don’t know his name, I just call him ‘oppa’, why? Are you jealous?”

“I’m not jealous,"  

“Okay, oppa can I ask you something?”

“Yeah, what is it?”

“What is your real name?”

“L,”

“No, you’re REAL name,”

“Kim MyungSoo, why?”

“I was just asking,” you smiled as he suspiciously looked at you. He then turned to face you and moved his face closer to you, you slightly moved back but then he slapped two of his cold hands onto your warm cheeks. “Oppa! It’s cold, why did you do that?!” you whined trying to warm up your cheeks. “My hands are cold, I want to warm them up,” he chuckled, you then held out two of your hands and held onto his. Gently rubbing your hands with his, you looked up at him and beamed a smile, “Is it warm now?”

But he shook his head and frowned, “Washing the clothes for you is really tiring. My hands are icy cold.” “Then what do you want me to do?” you asked with a doubtful frown. He then placed both of his hands on your cheeks and moved in closer letting his nose caress with yours. Leaning his lips against yours, you let out a soft chuckle.   

 Shockingly sitting up you heavily panted, you turned over to look at the time, it was still dark and it hasn’t even reached midnight yet. You let out a sigh and laid back on your back, you frustratingly ran your fingers through your hair and thought to yourself, “Why was L in my dream? Was he part of my memory or was it just a random dream?”