Chapter 14|The New Deal

The Devil's Labyrinth

Chapter 14|The New Deal

After that conversation with SungYeol, you found yourself dazing off through the past few days. That morning during breakfast, you weren’t in the mood of eating anything, but as noticed L staring down at you, your urge to ask him about the past was cracking open. “Is there a problem?” he asked looking at you with his expression filled with worry. Letting out a sigh, you decided that it wasn’t the best to question too much, although it was about your past, you know it’ll probably stress you again and then everyone would be worried. “You’re troubled because of the past again, right?” L asked as you elevated your eyes to his in shock, “You don’t have to hide it, I’ve know you for almost 1000 years, I can tell if you’re feeling troubled. Tell me what you want to know.”

“…*sigh… You know me for 1000 years, so you’ve been watching over me all these years. But is it really true that SungYeol suicide because of me,”

“Yes, it was you,”

“Can’t you at least put it in a more… ‘Nicer’ way?! You’re making me feel guilty,”

“But it is the truth. Furthermore, it was his decision to do that,”

“Really? Why?”

“That I can’t tell you, it’s a secret from heaven,”

“But I really want to know!”

“Then ask SungYeol yourself,”

“He doesn’t remember about his past, how am I going to ask him?”

“That’s also a secret,”

“Yah! Since when were you so close to heaven?”

“I still have to obey to the rules even though I’m a demon,”

“Then can I ask you something?”

“What is it?”

“Did SungYeol suicide because of me loving you?”

“Err…  That… It’s- a secret… from heaven,”

“KIM MYUNGSOO!”

“Okay, okay. It’s not a secret from heaven, it’s my secret.  But I won’t tell you,”

“Come on! I want to know,”

“No way. Anyways I’m off, remember to your finish breakfast,”

Watching as L just disappeared within a click of a finger, you let out a sigh and looked down upon your breakfast. You still weren’t in the mood to eat, so wrapping it up you placed it in the refrigerator. “L doesn’t want to tell me. Then I guess I’ll go back to sleep to remember it myself,” you thought storming off into your room, slumping on the bed you threw the blanket over your head. Closing your eyes you tried to fall back to sleep, but no matter how hard you try, you couldn’t fall to sleep. “This won’t work,” you thought lazily throwing the blanket form your head, “What must I do to know?!”

Getting out of bed you then sat down at your desk, bending over you pulled out the first drawer. Picking up the two puzzle pieces, you just gaze down at them. “The most important people in my life, one is appa, the other one is L. Then who would be my third person,” you asked yourself confusingly looking at the puzzle pieces, then something suddenly strike you, “Could it be SungYeol?” Carefully placing them down you closely looked at them, you then tried attaching the pieces together, after finishing you noticed something strange, but you kept it as a passing thought.

***

That night, you called SungYeol over to have a few words with him, you found it really hard to speak due to the tense atmosphere you can sensor from your own heart. “What is it that you wanted to say to me?” SungYeol asked with a soft smile on his lips. “Well… You once told me that you would die if you remember the past, but I-” you said but couldn’t finish as SungYeol had interjected though.

“You want to know?”

“I do… But isn’t there another way without causing you to fade away?”

“I don’t think so. If you want to know then I’m willing to let you know, plus I would also get to see the past,”

“I don’t want you to die,”

“…*chuckle… I’ve died the first time, it doesn’t matter if I die the second time,”

“SungYeol, you are an important friend,”

Suddenly you found your head aching, from the dark night, you realised that the mark L left on your forehead was glowing red. Unexpectedly, SungYeol fell to the ground holding his head in pain. “Oh no, then this means SungYeol is the third person,” you thought, trying to think of something to stop SungYeol from aching in pain, “After this third blood drop then I’ll have to leave and that man in the hospital will live. What should I do to stop this? SungYeol will end up dying if I take his puzzle piece. STOP! STOP EVERYTHING!”

Falling to the ground you found yourself feeling dizzy, your vision was getting blurry. A sudden strong scent of blood could be smelt, you couldn’t help it but to try and see where the blood was coming from. But before you knew it, your eyes were closed, as you lifelessly lay on the ground.   

***

Hastily sitting up, you looked around the room. You found SungYeol sitting beside you bed as he wrapped his hand with bandages. “SungYeol! What happened to your hand?!” you worriedly asked as your scream shocked him. “…*laugh… Nothing, my scythe just cut me, don’t worry it won’t kill the wound will be gone by tomorrow,” he smiled continue to bandage his hand. “Why?” you curiously asked, while he seriously stared down at you, “Aren’t you going to tell me?”

“…*sigh…  My scythe wanted to cut you instead of me,”

“What? Why? Why did you cut your hand because of me?!”

“Because you wanted to give up on finding the three blood droplets. If one day you ever wanted to stop finding them, then the scythe would just automatically cut you and you’ll be dead,”

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to give up, I just couldn’t watch you die,”

“There would be another way if you don’t want to save that man who was once the person who tried killed you,”

“What is it?”
“It’s to have a new deal, you still need to continue collect the blood, but the condition would be different,”

“…*mumble… So either way, you’ll die,”

“Huh?”

“Nothing…*sigh… Fine, I agree to change the condition,”

“So what would you change it to?”

You just froze instantly, your mind was completely blank. “Is there a deal, for SungYeol to live and for L to stop suffering?” you thought as SungYeol was waiting patiently, “What should I do? What should I wish for?”