Jonghyun's acceptance

Life at the Balg-Eun Nun School

Kim Jonghyun. The name brought chills to just about everyone at Eodunn Naldeul (Dark Days) High. He wore all black and very thick eyeliner. He has fought a lot of people at his school and never once lost because he had huge muscles. While his body was firm and strong, his mind was anything but. He has a hard life. 

Jonghyun was sitting on his bed one night writing lyrics and his he heard his front door slam. Jong knew what this meant and he was not ready for it. He hurriedly ran to the door silently closed it and turned the light off and ran back to his bed. He pulled the banket up to his neck and pretended to be sleeping. Sometimes pretending to be asleep worked, depending how drunk his father was that particular night. Tonight he hears his fathers steps come up the stairs and stop in front of his room. The door opens letting in a bunch of light from the hall. His father walks in and turns the light on. "J-Jon-hyu, wake up!" He yelled stuttering, throwing his empty alcohol bottle on the floor. It shattered and pieces flew everywhere. Jonghyun lifted his head slowly and says "I'm up dad"

The man walked over and sat on the end of Jonghyun's bed and whispers "You know I never wanted you, right?" Jonghyun stayed silent. His dad then yelled "Answer me, dammit!" Jonghyun flinched.

"Yes sir, I know"

"And then as you grew up, I thought maybe this kid isn't so bad. But then I find your ing notebook and think 'he will probably talk about his crush in here and I can help him get the girl he likes'. But I couldn't because you weren't writing about a girl, were you? WERE YOU?" He yelled at the end.

"No sir." Jong said tears welling in his eyes.

"Tell me what you were writing about."

"Dad, you already kn-"

"TELL ME" He screamed. Jong's tears started to fall.

"I wrote about a boy I liked" He sobbed.

"Right! I give you everything and you repay me by liking a boy! How could you!"

"I didn't choose this! If I could I would not be gay! But I can't!"

His dad balled up his fist and threw it at Jong's face. Jong grabbed his face, only to have his dad punch his stomach. Jong tried to escape but his dad continued relentlessly. Jong saw his mother peak her head in with tears in her eyes, not helping. He did not expect any different. That is what she always did when his dad hurt him. A few hits later he got up and walked out but not before spitting his alcohol scented saliva in Jonghyun's face and saying "Piece of garbage!" Jong cried himself to sleep that night.

When Jongyun woke up, he went to take a shower. When he got out, he looked at his face in the mirror. He grabbed the makeup bag he kept hidden from his father. He was an expert at putting makeup on now. He had to learn how so he could cover the injuries his father would leave in visible places. When he was done, he was impressed with how well he covered every bruise and cut. He smiled. He felt making his face prettier gave him a sort of power against what his dad had done. He thought, his father could leave as many bruises as he wants, he will always find a way to cover them. He then applied his thick eyeliner and hid the makeup bag back in its place. He got dressed and went to the kitchen where his mom had made breakfast. She teared up when she saw his face. She walked up to him, cupping his cheeks in her hands. "Oh Hyunnie! I am so sorry." Jong pushed her hands off his face and said "Whatever, I am leaving now."

"Jonghyun wait!" Said a voice he hated. He turned to see his dad, sobered up a little. "No school today for you."

"Why, sir?" His mother winced at how her son adressed his own father.

"You know that test you took? It was to see if you were smart enough to get into some boarding school and now they want to have an interview with you, so go change into a suit."

"Yes sir."

Jonghyun ran up the stairs and quickly threw on a suit and tie. He ran back downstairs and the three got in the car and left. When they arrived, Jong's father straightened his tie and they heard his name called "Kim Jonghyun"

He walked in and sat across from a fancy bearded man. "Hello Jonghyun."

"Hello"

"You are seventeen, right?"

"Yes sir"

"I have been looking at your grades. They are incredible! Straight A's in every class, impressive." He smiled.

"Thank you sir"

"But I also see you have gotten in trouble for fighting a lot in the past few years. What is that about?" Jonghyun shrugs. "You are very smart Jonghyun, so I will assume it was for good reasons but it will not continue, Correct?''

"Yes sir."

"Tell me Jonghyun, what do you want to be when you are older?''

"A makeup artist" He says

"Wow, that is unique for a young man like yourself." Jonghyun looked at him a little annoyed with this comment.

"The test you took, you wanna know your score? You got 92%! You are very smart Jonghyun! And you seem to be well mannered. So please take this" He handed him an acceptance letter. He thought of it as his ticket away from his father and started to tear up.

"Thank you" He said standing up.

"Are you alright?'' The man asked.

"Yeah, just really happy"

"I'm glad"