Chapter 6

The One Who Got Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sandy woke up at 4am even before her alarm went off. Her nerves were shot. She couldn't shake the nasty feeling she had at the thought of the upcoming meeting.

She was afraid of change and the effects that it might bring. As she contemplated the current state of her life while she brushed her teeth in front of her mirror that morning she realized that she should welcome the change. 

She spat out the toothpaste with more vigor than usual. She had declared that she'd stop living her life as if it was a melodrama. If she wanted to make that true then she's going to have to it up and learn to face the music.

She looked at herself in the mirror and pointed the bristled end of her toothbrush at her reflection, "You can do it! I can do it! Bring it on, change. I may be scared but I'm not backing down." After she issued her declaration she moved to her room totally psyched to conquer the world.

She was humming happily to herself as she walked out of the elevator. She took out her phone and took a selfie of herself with her cup of coffee. She half skipped and half walked towards the station's doors. 

She was just taking a sip when the door opened behind her, she turned to see who had just arrived. What happened next was purely reflex. She was so surpised to see him that without realizing it, she had already spewed the coffee in at him.

He stepped back but his reflexes were slower than hers. She got him right at the center of his white most probably very expensive designer shirt. 

"What he heck are you doing here?" She exclaimed. She snorted at the sight of him. She just loves Karma. "Oops. I should be sorry but I'm not. Looks like now we're both even."

He looked as if he was deciding on whether he should yell at her or strangle her or do both. Both probably. But she was on a high and no one was going to rain on her parade. Mwahahaha, she laughed evilly inside her head.

Unfortunately, her victory was short-lived. Mr. Lee came out of his office. "Sandy, you're here. I see you've met my son, Lee Dong-hae." It was only then that he saw his ruined shirt. "What happened to your shirt?"

'Karma, why are you such a bxtch! Oh God, please take me now and end my misery. Waah!!! Why does he have to be my freaking new boss? Think, Sandara, think! How will you get yourself out of this kind of situation? Gaaah!!! I can't think when he's looking at me like he's trying to come up with 101 ways to snuff me out of my existence!!!' She was on full panic code. 

Lee Dong-hae the devil smiled evilly at her upon seeing her panic at the arrival of his father. "I just had an accidental run in with an ahjumma." He looked at her pointedly. She wore her most innocent expression.

"It was my fault I guess because I startled her. She was so scared she couldn't even say sorry." 

'What?!!? Did I hear it, right? He freaking called me, ahjumma? Sorry?!!? Why would I say sorry?' She plastered a fake smile on her face.

"What are we going to do with your shirt? If you'll excuse us Sandy, we'll see you later at the meeting." The older man led his son to his office. "I think I have an extra shirt here somewhere."

Before he went inside the office the younger Lee gave her a little salute jist like the other day, as if to say, "Cat got your tongue? Who's got the last say now?"

She stuck her tongue out at his back but he looked back at her just in time. He narrowed his eyes and gestured to her the I'm watching you hand sign. 

It took all her control not to respond to him with a raised middle finger. Inhale. One. Two. Three. Four. Exhale. Inhale. One. Two....

"Unnie!" Minzy's voice interrupted her thoughts. "What's got you all heated up this early? Your ears are so red."

"It's nothing, Minzy-ah. My coffee just went the wrong way a while ago." She breathed out and forced a smile on her face. "Let's set up the conference room, shall we?"

Everyone came in early. No one wanted to miss out on the first exciting thing to happen at their station in a long time. The morning DJ already prerecorded his spiel in between songs so he won't have to miss anything. By the time 8am came everyone was already settled in the conference room except for Minzy who was left manning the front desk.

The nervous chatter stopped abruptly as the door opened and the two Lees entered the room. Sandy tried to make herself as invisible as possible. She kept her eye trained on the older Lee, making conscious effort to avoid the younger Lee's gaze.

Mr. Lee was saying, "I'd like you all to meet my son. Lee Dong-hae." He gestured at his son. Dong Hae bowed at the group.

"He'll be taking my place as of today. I've worked with all of you for the longest time and I couldn't ask for a better group of people to work with. But the time has come for me to retire. My fishing rods have been calling my name for quite a while

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter