We don't break easily

It hurts

We performed on many stages, and it is impossible to recall all the performances. But there is one that stood out. A so-called legendary one that we hope everyone would stop referring to. That was a performance that I couldn't really enjoy the fancam without cringing.

This performance brought us tears, bruises, and pain, but this performance also brought us some kind of fame and love. I could still recall that day, and I am sure every member still remembers that day.

"Kids, we know it is starting to rain and it may be slippery, please be careful!" the managers warned us. "We will work hard!" that was our answer. The rain just started, and the floor was reasonably dry, so we thought it would be just like our other performances. But it turned out that the stage environment was worse than expected.

Glass bead was our first song on that stage. Moths were the major problem when we performed this song. As you know, we hate insects. The moths on the stage were more than distracting. Sowon-unnie was so distracted by them that she made a couple of mistakes. She also tried very hard not to step on one that kept on flapping its wings on the floor. She was trying so hard to avoid that particular moth that Eunha-unnie had to slap her arm to get her out of the way during the formation change. We all laughed at her for this afterward. After the song, as the MCs came out, moths became more disturbing than ever. The female MC tried to shoo the moths away with her foot, and I believe she kicked a moth or two too. We all tried to focus on the audience and introduce ourselves to the audience with our pleasant smiles. Sowon-unnie was the worst in doing this. She was so afraid of the moths that she even hid behind the female MC once! Imagine a giant hiding behind an average human being LOL...

Anyway, then we got ready for Me gustas tu. This time, moths were not the only problem. The stage had the glossy kind of floor and rainwater started to accumulate, forming puddles here and there. You all should know that I have to kneel down at the beginning of the song...the floor was getting so wet that I had to try pushing the water aside to get a relatively dry area to kneel onto. Before the music started, Yuju-unnie warned us to be careful. We all sensed that it's getting more slippery than we expected. The slipping started soon after we started.

The first one who fell was Yuju-unnie, who warned us in the first place. She shot up almost the second she fell. All I heard was a "thump", and before I could look at her direction, she was back on her feet. I didn't even notice that she fell down. Then it happened again, while Yuju-unnie was moving across the stage. She managed to catch herself at the last second. A few seconds after that, I did a stupid thing. I let my guard down a bit as I was distracted by the moths getting into my face. Ick! This split second I slipped. My right knee hit the floor hard and my left foot failed to support me. OUCH was the only four letters in my mind. It felt like my knee was being cracked like an egg. Since my mic hit the floor when I fell, almost everyone on stage noticed my fall. I was not as good as Yuju-unnie in terms of picking up myself from the floor, so Eunha-unnie and Yerin-unnie rushed over to help me up. The pain occupied my mind for some time, but luckily my muscle memory helped me with the choreography. Sowon-unnie started to get really worried about us that she kept making mistakes. However, despite her worries, other members kept slipping, though they were lucky enough to catch themselves before they fall. Yuju-unnie was not that lucky. She hit the floor really hard, again and again, that tears were starting to roll out of her eyes.

Despite that, the show must go on. I tried to be extra careful to avoid falling again. That one fall was painful enough...I was already expecting a huge bruise. I even decided not to do the complete windmill dance, since I sensed that that was a particularly slippery part of the stage. I later figured out that the moth that struggled on that spot and got kicked away might have left some slime or whatever. The few minutes felt like ages, with Yuju-unnie falling down again and again. Finally, the performance was over. We all had a hard time trying to keep our smiles on our faces, especially for Yuju-unnie. She was on the verge of bursting into tears, but she managed to hold it back until we were off the stage.

"Yuju, did you get hurt?" Sowon-unnie asked immediately as soon as we were off the stage, and the managers rushed to us with towels, asking the same question. But Yuju-unnie couldn't answer them. She was literally wailing. We hugged her, and Sowon-unnie kept patting on her back like a mom. It took her more than five minutes to quiet down. Fortunately, she wasn't injured. We then headed back to the dorm, and we talked it over during the ride back.

"Oh my god, I couldn't even remember how many times I fell on the stage, that's so embarrassing..." Yuju-unnie started to feel some kind of embarrassment after a while. "I can't believe that we gave such a performance. The audience probably sees me as a super clumsy person who shouldn't be dancing. What was wrong with me!" She exclaimed, starting to feel down. "The audience will understand...I guess..." Umji whispered the last two words, trying to make Yuju-unnie feel better. "They know it was because of the rain and has nothing to do with you." "I hope so..." Yuju-unnie needed some time to get over it.

But what happened next was beyond our imagination. Not only did the audience watching our live performance understand, but lots of lots of viewers of the fancam of our performance. The fancam of ours went viral, the view counts shot up like a rocket and suddenly the name 'Gfriend' was known to many more people, in Korea and overseas. The viewers applauded us for being professional. Of course, we were told about this by our managers, since we don't have our cellphones, and couldn't follow the news very quickly. But at the same time, he warned us, "Kids, be ready that people will ask about that performance a lot, have some answers in your mind, OK?"

We were in the car when the manager told us about this, and his warning caused silence in the car for a minute. Then, I heard a sigh. "Kids, I know what you are thinking. We don't want Gfriend to be famous because of things like this, but it happened, and we have to deal with it. Just be thankful that people did not think that you girls performed poorly." the manager has been with us since the beginning. He understood us.

"I guess some people do think we performed poorly...it won't surprise me if some think that we faked it." I blurted out. I am not a positive person, and I couldn't help but think about that. The second I finished my sentence, I regretted it. "If I didn't slip that much, this probably won't be a great deal..." Yuju-unnie started, sounding ashamed and guilty, but Sowon-unnie stopped her instantly, "That wasn't controlled by us, we all know that it was not intentional, and we tried our best. That's already enough!"

"We were already getting lots of love with Me gustas tu, and all of the sudden, this accident made it look like people know us just because of the accident. I know Sinb said that as a guess, but that's also reality. That's so unfair..." Yuju-unnie added. "But you know what? People might get to know us because of the accident, but they won't stay because of the accident. Ultimately, what counts is our ability." Yerin-unnie looked really mature when she said this.

"How about that, now the falling fancam became one of our videos with the most number of viewers, but let's make a promise here. We will be working very hard to prove to everyone that we are worth the view counts. We will have our music videos, perfect fancams, etc. replace that falling fancam, and become the most popularly viewed Gfriend videos. How does this sound to you?" Sowon-unnie came up with a great plan. One that would be somehow challenging, but one that we would all want to achieve. Sowon-unnie put her hand out, and one by one, we put our own hands on top. "Gfriend fighting~"

In the days following, the accident has been brought up a lot. But we have learned to look to the future, and every time when we were reminded of the painful experience, we were reminded of our beautiful plan.

 

**Video time~**

Whole stage on 150905: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvo081aynXQ

Sowon hates insects 160715: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OEdZQ1Nd2Gw (54:16 - 54:36)

 

*Author's message*

This is a long and kinda boring chapter...sorry for that OTL I had a hard time writing this chapter coz I lacked ideas for this chapter (banghead)

Btw, I was just thinking about adding the links to videos that inspired certain content in the chapters...what do you think? Should I just add the links at the bottom of the chapters or right next to the parts?