Chapter 4

Be Mine

Jeongyeon was grinning hard. Her math teacher was introducing Mina to the class and the only spare seat left was one right next to her. Mina smiled endearingly, her face lighting up when she saw Jeongyeon. Chaeng punched her and asked why she was smiling so much. 
" Seriously, you're creeping me out, why all the smiles?"
"Because I feel good today. Got a problem, friend?" Chaeng shook her head in disbelief, not fully sure if she was dreaming or not. Jeongyeon smiled only about once a day. Twice on a happy day, but she had broken the smile meter today. Deciding it was for the best, Chaeng went back to her favourite pastime: staring at the oblivious eagle. She had attempted flirting many times but to no avail.

Meanwhile, Mina was also very liberal with the smiles. She got to spend time (even if it was teaching) with Jeongyeon. She didn't know her well but wanted to. At first glance, Jeongyeon seemed introverted and kind of angry, but when you spent a little time with her, she was quite charming and beautiful. Mina couldn't stop thinking of the way her eyes sparkled when she laughed, the way the side of turned up when she was concentrating. 

"Hey, Pingu, you ready for dance after school?" Mina's Japanese friend, Sana, trapped her shoulder. They had known each other since pre school but Sana had moved away. Mina had seen her and the two long lost friends reunited. End of fairytale.

"Hey, Smiles, are you still coming to the dance thing after school?" Momo, pinched Jeongyeon's cheek and retracted the hand after getting slapped. "I won't if you do that again. Why am I coming again?" Momo grimaced.
"This newb on the scene has been saying that she could beat me and my team and anybody I could get on my team. So I got my dancers, she's got hers, and if she beats me, I have to bow down and 'abdicate'. I swear, the child couldn't just say that she'd be queen not me. These 5 year olds and their 'heightened vocabulary'. Makes life harder."

Jeongyeon shook her head and agreed again to come. She tapped Mina and asked if she could come so she wasn't bored out of her mind. Mina laughed.

"Sana already asked if I could. She's on Momo's team, so I have to you know? It would be great if you kept me company though." Jeongyeon gulped as Mina bit her lip slightly and pulled her teeth across. "It's a date." Jeongyeon said hoarsely. Mina blushed and went back to her work.

Mina hadn't realised what she had done though. It was a nervous tic, when she said something and she didn't know what the reply would be. Now she was really looking forward to tonight's dance battle.