Sometime Around Midnight - The Airborne Toxic Event

iPod Shuffle Challenge: Kyuhyun

A/N: In all honesty, this is probably tied with Dozing Green as my favorite one I wrote for this set. Why? Because I simply LOVE this song anyway, and I really enjoyed putting Kyuhyun in this situation because I felt it was necessary to kind of...experiment with what all I could put him through while still keeping him recognizable as Kyuhyun. Here's the song if you want to hear it- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYPoMjR6-Ao&ob=av2n

---------------------------------------------------

Kyuhyun stood at the bar, holding a drink in one of his hands as he laughed with the two friends he had decided to join that night. It was supposed to be just a regular night of drinking away all your worries and thoughts as the music played a continuous beat as many strangers danced the night away. Laughing at something Ryeowook said in his tipsy daze, Kyuhyun moved his eyes and surveyed his surroundings, bringing the glass of alcohol to his lips to take another sip.

His dark brown eyes widened slightly as she came inside the bar. She was dressed in a simple white dress, and her bright smile was shining under the multicolored lights; that smile that was so familiar it actually hurt. Her eyes moved around the bar and landed on him, and she let out a soft smile before she raised her hand and waved lightly at him. It took all of his strength to muster a small smile back as he once again raised the glass in his hands to his lips, hoping the alcohol could drown the familiar pain that beat in his chest as she gracefully approached him.

As her light steps stopped when she was face to face with him, the all too familiar scent of her perfume floated into his nose, only making the pang of hurt in his heart worsen. Flashes of their past together went through his mind; images of her soft body entwined with his own as they laid in bed together were creating a painful slideshow in his mind. He had managed to hide his current emotional pain by smiling at her once more, and she in turn smiled at him softly, "Hey Kyuhyun. How have you been?"

"F-fine," he managed to stutter out, the tightening in his chest making it difficult to uphold conversation with her; regardless, he tried to continue, not wanting to stop hearing her voice, "What about you?"

She let out an exhausted sigh, "Good I guess. Work has just been stressful for me lately. I got that modelling position, by the way."

It was getting harder and harder for him to keep himself composed with her directly in front of him, but at the same time, he needed her to stay, "That's good. I'm really glad," he paused but then softly added, "You're too beautiful to have not gotten the position."

It was hard to tell, but he could see the faint outline of a blush on her cheeks, and a triumphant feeling came over him; he was proud of himself that he still had this effect on her. But, all too soon, their moment ended as someone called her name from further within the crowd of strangers. She snapped her head to the side and so did Kyuhyun, and the familiar aching came back ten fold within his chest; another man was calling for her. He turned his gaze back to her, and saw a bright smile cover her beautiful features before she turned back to him, "I'm sorry, Kyuhyun, I have to go. But it was really good seeing you again."

She flashed him another beautiful smile and walked away without even a second glance. Kyuhyun's eyes started stinging, but he couldn't cry; he had no right to. It was his fault she wasn't his anymore. He's the one who let her go.

His heart clenched even more when he watched her go to the other man and give him a hug and a soft kiss. The pain in his heart only worsened as he watched the other man take her delicate hand in his own and lead her out of the bar. Unshed tears stung at his brown eyes as she turned her gaze back to Kyuhyun for only a moment before she walked out of the bar with the other man. The images of her sleeping in another man's arms were far too much for him to bear. His hand that wasn't holding the alcoholic beverage he had been sipping on clenched together as he brought the beverage to his lips and downed the whole thing in one go. He hoped the alcohol could make this pain go away, and make all the regret disappear. That's what alcohol was supposed to do, anyway, wasn't it?

"Kyu? What's wrong?"

Snapping his gaze from the door where she had disappeared only moments ago, he turned his attention to the source of the voice. Ryeowook and Sungmin were staring at him worriedly as Sungmin spoke again, "You look like you've seen a ghost or something."

Not answering their question verbally, he merely shook his head and ordered another drink, continuing his attempt to drown all of his worries away with alcohol. In a mere 15 minutes, Kyuhyun had managed to get himself completely drunk, but the pain was still there. It just wouldn't go away.

Without letting his two friends know, Kyuhyun managed to stumble his way out of the bar. As he left, all of the emotional pain he held within his heart exploded at once, and tears came rushing from his dark brown eyes. Continuing to stumble in his drunken haze, he found himself murmuring things to himself. Everything he murmured was some variation of "It's all my fault. I let her go."

As Kyuhyun passed by random strangers on the streets, he felt their stares of disapproval on his back as he continued to murmur drunkenly to himself while stumbling onward, but he didn't care about what strangers thought of him at the moment. He knew he looked pathetic and desperate, pining for someone who had moved on. Any other day, he would have put on a tough exterior, told everyone he was fine, but deep down, he had never been fine. Breaking up with her had been the biggest mistake he had ever made, and the reality of her being with someone else had finally hit him tonight.

Kyuhyun continued down the sidewalk before almost falling over; catching himself against the rough surface of a wall, he stood there and could only sob. Raising his head to the sky, the tears continued to flow from his eyes and down his cheeks as he let all of his pain out. He just had to see her, just once more, even though he knew that she would break him in two.