Ups and Downs

Hana Yori Dango Finale

"Wait... Wait, he run off. Like that! Are you kidding me!" Umi commented loudly as she was sitting on the dark brown wooden desk, that faced the west window. Her hair the same length as before, only her bangs had grown. She was wearing a yellow shirt, and track pants. She was now a 2nd year university student. She and Yuki have been roommates since day one.

"So, what did you do then?" she asked as she edged her upper body closer to hear what happened next.

Yuki bit her lip and lowered her eyes, she was sure Umi would get mad at what she would say next. "I lost him. Sojiro runs so fast. I was wearing heels. There was no way..." she mumbled as she gazed at her white socks. How, did she always ended to be friends with bossy girls. First Makino, now Umi.

"Don't give me that. It's the 3rd time." Umi almost face-palmed herself. This year that had passed, they both came closer. Yuki, and Makino are the nearest friends Umi ever had. Although, they both know her wicked side. At least, she never did anything wrong around them. (After what she caused to Makino.) Umi would never hurt those two.

"Anyway Yuki-chan, you should tell him your feelings!" she suggested as she jumped of the desk. Umi had found the secret crash that Yuki had. Yuki, asked her, (almost begged her) not to say anything to anyone (neither to Makino) Umi agreed. She had nothing to gain by telling Umi's secret.

Yuki put her hand in frond her face to hide her shook expression. "I cannot do that Umi-chan. I don't want to lose the friendship we have." she said honestly.

"Friendship?! What friendship?! You try to meet him. And he's running away. I don't call that a friendship!" Umi chuckled at her innocent friend. As she walked closer to Yuki and added "When an opportunity raises you should not ignore it, Yuki-chan!"

Yuki blinked gazing at her friend. All those months staying with Umi, she has noticed, Umi would never let a chance been lost. Yuki admired Umi for that. The only thing she hated, was if Umi used wicked means. "Umi-chan, you can do that. I cannot! I don't bare to lose Sojiro. And If I would somehow manage to tell him that I'm in love. He would freak and avoid me for ever." she told Umi with a sad tone.

"Well, Well! You are right! You never know, how the F4 will react!" Umi agreed with her.

Yuki nodded and smiled at her friend, as she looked at the time. It was already 5 pm and they had plans. "We should get ready, the party is tonight!" Yuki cheered. Then she walked at the north side of the room, where the big wooden dresser was. "At least, we should dress well!"

"I'm not sure, I should come!" Umi sighed spacing out. Maybe Tsukushi and Tsukasa had forgiven her, but the rest of F4 never were fond of Umi.

Yuki walked closer placing her hand on Umi's back. "What are you talking about Umi-chan. It's their wedding anniversary. We cannot miss that. And with Tsukushi-chan gone on their holidays, we haven't seen her for sometime now." Yuki explained.

"Yeah, I know. It's not that! I want to see Makino. But the rest don't want me there." she responded.

Yuki smiled and gave her friend a hug "Everything, will be fine. You have not met them like for ever. I think you will be fine. After you have Makino's support. They will not hold any grudges."

"I am not sure about that Yuki-chan!" Umi repeated. She was sure, she wasn't welcome. But since when did she really care about what F4 was thinking. Since Makino and Domyoji, invited her. She had nothing to worry about. 'Right?'

After, long thought Umi came to the conclusion that she would go. "Alright, let's get dressed!" she agreed with Yuki.

"Yay!" Yuki let out a small cheer, and opened the flipping doors of the dresser. "What should we wear?"

When it came to dressing code, Yuki knew to choose the right outfit. Umi, never mastered any fashion skills. She lately ended up dress a bit better cause of Yuki. Both girls needed an hour until they put together the right outfit. Yuki, needed to look the best way she could, since Sojiro would be there. She found a black short dress (with an A line) and red strips. She put her hair up to a pony-tail. Black high heels. And a black jacket. She added her rings, earnings and bracelet and ready she was. Umi however, wore a plain short tight black dress. It was really simple, but elegant. A black jacket and black heels. Her hair worn loose. Both of them only applied some make up, nothing much.

"Okay, Yuki-chan. Ready to leave?" Umi asked her roommate "Should, I call a taxi?"

These year, When Yuki and Umi were together, Yuki didn't ask for a lift. That was because of Umi. No-one of the F4 would really show up to give a lift to Umi. The girl had almost killed their friend, and tricked their best friend. Plus, all F4 were busy these days.

"Yes, let's go!" Yuki agreed. She really wanted to reach Makino's house as fast as she could to see her friend. But she also would see Sojiro there. And she hoped, this time he wouldn't run off. It was a party after all, he wouldn't do something like that.

The girls locked the door, as they stepped out of the room they shared. Umi had already called the taxi. They step downstairs. Waited for few minutes, until the Taxi picked them up and drove them in their destination.


The party started around 9 pm. But the boys were earlier there. They couldn't wait to meet their friend. The lucky thing was, that all three were back in Tokyo. The last year, all four of them were not a lot in Japan. As young adults now they had responsibilities.

"Did you guys had fun?" asked Akira as he was focusing which ball to hit next at the pool table. All four ended up in the Game room (as always). Makino was getting ready. The guest would show up in an hour or so. There was plenty of time to spend together like the used too.

Domyoji looked at his friends with a childish smile. "I couldn't tell. The news made me so happy. I didn't focus if it was fun or not." he yelled at them so happy.

"News? What News?" asked Sojiro.

All three glanced at their friend. Seeing Domyoji like that made them sure, something good had happened.

"I know, I should wait to announced it at the party, but i cannot wait." Tsukasa admitted happier than ever. "Makino is pregnant!"

Rui cracked a smile at his friends happiness. "Baka (Fool), you shouldn't tell us!" he said gazing at him "Congratulation!" He could imagine how happy both really were.

"Domyoji a dad?" Akira teased his friend before adding "Congrats! Poor baby!"

"Oi!? Akira what do you mean?" he flipped but with the big smile still in his face.

"Come now! Don't mess with our friend." Sojiro chuckled "Why can you imagine Makino... a Mom?"

"Poor baby?" added Akira again and Tsukasa took an angry look and dashed after them. Rui leaned against the thin, but gigantic window's frame and looked at his friends.

Meanwhile, down stairs Yuki and Umi had arrived. Makino was ready. She also was wearing a black dress. But it was visible it had a better quality than the her two friends. Her jewelry was expensive, everything that Makino was wearing was not something that the girls could buy.

"Tsukushi-chan! You are finally back!" Yuki yelled as she ran towards her and hugged her softly. "I missed you! I wanted to see you!"

Makino gave her childhood friend a tighter hug. "I missed you too. I have so many things to tell you!"

Umi remained a few steps behind smiling at Tsukushi and waving a warm hello. Umi still felt uneasy. She had a feeling she shouldn't follow Yuki. Yuki however, forgot Sojiro since she was excited to see her friend.

"Let's go up stairs. It's early. And the party will start in an hour. The boys are already here!" Tsukushi happily told them (after she greeted Umi.) She climbed few steps and waited for them to follow.

Yuki agreed with her. She pause for a second as short note made her think that she would come face to face with 'running Sojiro'. But for today she choose not to panic. Umi had frozen also. She really didn't want to face any of the three boys. But Yuki grabbed her hand and dragged her with them. "It will be fine! You will see!"

Makino couldn't ignore it and asked "Why, what is bothering Umi-chan?"

"She was scared that the boys will be still mad at her! But it's almost a year!" Yuki revealed as all three had reached the hall next to the gaming room.

Tsukushi looked at Umi as she pause her step. "They, will not attack you! They're maybe cold. But don't worry. You are my friend so no one will hurt Umi-chan" she ensured her and opened the door.

Umi was still worried. Though, she followed. She had dealt with people who didn't like her before. She could survive a night with some people ignoring her. Tsukushi entered first in the room. Akira and Sojiro applaused as they noticed her. "Congratulation!" both said leaving Yuki and Umi with question marks.

"Congrats! Eh? Why?" Yuki asked, but she didn't get her answer at that moment.

Tsukushi gazed at her husband mad. "You already told them. I told you to wait!" she yelled at him.

Tsukasa rushed over ready to start a playful fight with his wife. "I couldn't wait. okay!" he shouted.

"Un-be-liev-able! You're making me so angry!" Makino yelled. And after that they both started fighting. It would take some time for them to stop. They always did that. The rest didn't bother even to break their fights any more.

"Oi! Oi! I was only "educating" my friends!" Tsukasa claimed, following angry Makino out of the room.

Tsukushi rolled her eyes "You informed them. You didn't educate them. When will you fix your Japanese?"

Tsukasa cracked a smile at his wife's comment. He still was sure that Makino did so many spelling errors. "It's you who doesn't speak Japanese right!" he added and shook his head laughing. Both had already reached down stairs, without even noticing.

Upstairs the group of five were still amazed at the couples' fight. It brought back so many memories, every time that Tsukushi and Tsukasa were fighting like that. Akira (who was still playing with the pool) gave the curious girls an answer "Makino is pregnant!"

Yuki jumped happily "Really, Congrats you two!" she yelled only to be ignored as they had walked out of the room.

Sojiro laughed "You have to wait Yuki-chan!" He said and took a step back. There he was again ready to start running. And Yuki would as always go after him.

The room once again filled with sounds and voices. Akira pointed at Sojiro "There he goes again!"

"Don't tell me you will run again!" she uttered. Neither her outfit or her were ready to pressure her 'secret love'.

He smiled at her, scanning the room to find an opening to dash off. It was entertaining to watch her trying to catch up. And some how, he really had the urge to run away from her.

The running couple of friends cause Umi to step further inside the game room. Now her present was noticeable. Akira gave her an odd look. And went back to finish his game. Sojiro was busy escaping from Yuki, so he didn't react at Umi's present. As for Rui, he raised his eyes and gazed her. He only pinned his cold gaze on her for a second. He hated, that Umi became slowly close friends with Yuki and Makino. But that girl had not-self control. Then he went back ignoring her.

Umi frowned, she knew it. No way they would forgive her that easy. Specially, Rui. She didn't know why, but his words still echoed in her mind. And it was not that he was wrong. What she did, was not right. But that she was sorry, she honestly meant it. Umi never understood why he never liked her. It was since the first day they met in the hospital. Rui had already scanned her with those cold eyes of his. She lowered her gaze, act she wouldn't do normally. And sat next to the closed arm-chair.

"Eh!" Umi let out a surprising yell as she sat on something bit sharp and puffy. She looked beneath her and noticed a white coat. She tried to pull it up, with the thought to place it to the chair next to her. She never was so clumsy. Today, though was different. She was out of her comfort zone.

The loud scream caught Rui's attention. He gazed up only to see the 'wicked' girl pulling his coat. 'Was she also dump? Why was she even pulling? She could just stand and place it in the next chair.' he thought and stood up. He stretched his body figure and strolled towards her.

Umi was still trying to pull the coat off. She was making things worse, since the once well ironed fabric started wiggle. Suddenly, her hand was grabbed tightly. Astonished she gazed up only to meet with Rui's cold eyes. He was not sure how much force he used to pull her up. But he watched Umi almost fly from her seat. His right grip remain holding her as he picked with his left hand his coat. He simply pushed Umi back at her seat with the same force. Her back crushed against the arm-chair so hard, that the chair almost flip. Then he stepped away.

Honestly the grip around her wrist stung, but she didn't dare to complain. She bit her lips and didn't let out any kind of sound. She didn't mind if angry looks or that she was ignored. But why had she to accept that kind of behavior. She was trying her hardest not to acknowledged what just had happened. "Let it slit, let it be!" she muttered to herself. It only made her angrier. She knew she should never mixed with F4, specially an angry F4.

Though, her rebel self of hers couldn't just seat and let it pass. She stood up, and stormed over were Rui was resting. It took a second to notice the short girl next to him. Umi felt the height difference. She never noticed that he was that tall.

She re-positioned herself and voiced up "I don't mind if you ignore me. Or if you don't like me. But you don't pull or push me around!"

Rui gave in and finally gazed at her. He once again pinned his cold eyes on the girl. And disregarded her on purpose.

"Hey, you hear me!" Umi yelled out as she tried to grab him. But touching Rui or any of F4 was a 'No!' He had already blocked her move. Rui simply grasped her arm dragging her across the room towards the door. Umi twisted her arm to break free. But Rui only grabbed it tighter. He caught Akira's attention, who was almost finishing with his game. Rui simply opened the door and pushed out of the room.

"What was that about?" Akira observed. Rui was the only in the group that would never get so fired up. He only received an angry look from his friend. The discussion ended there. Neither, Akira or Rui really cared about the 'wicked' girl.

Umi pulled herself together. If she wasn't a guest there, she'd not let the matter drop. She rubbed her wrist and walked off.

Sojiro pause at the end of the stairs. Looking down he noticed that the party had already began. He'd not show up running. He softly caught Yuki, before landing against him. He placed his arm around her very softly and pointed at the party.

Yuki widen her eyes "It already started!" she noticed.

Sojiro smiled at her and nodded "Let's go! We can do the running another time."

Yuki wasn't anymore sure, was he running from her to . Or did he want to keep a distance. For now she wanted to enjoy her friends party. She spotted Umi close by. Umi gave her an odd smile and signaled her to go on. Yuki and Sojiro joined the party. Makino and the F4 Leader were greeting the guests. Umi stayed at the entrance. And Akira with Rui were stepping down.

The real party was about to begin...

((~ upcoming chapter 3 ~ ))