Chaotic Engagement

Hana Yori Dango Finale

Hours, Days, Months passed after the day that Rui had saved Umi. A lot had changed in the lives of the group of 7. Makino (who was pregnant) was in her 9th month and her due day was almost there. She and Domyoji, were busy to have everything ready. The room, the bed, the cloths, the diapers, etc. Domyoji, was happier and crazier than ever. Makino was in big trouble, she would have to look after two kids and not one (Domyoji inlcuded). Sojiro and Yuki dated official. They were always spotted together. That made Akira extra angry. He missed those days with his friend, the women and drinks.

Umi was also accepted at Rui's company as an intern. The money was good, and she was learning a lot of things about accounting and taxes. She met with Rui a lot. There was always a reason those two had to meet. Once she had to drop by some documents. Other times she needed help in her projects and Rui could help her. Or she just needed some advice in general. The problem was that she had to updated her dressing code, and her living expensive. To carry out that she ended up helping Akira and Domyoji, with their taxes.


"What do you mean you are moving out?" Umi asked astonished when Yuki gave her the bad news that she was moving to live with Sojiro.

Yuki took her innocent look and tried to explain with the best way what had happened "You know Umi-chan. Our parents met this weekend to talk about us."

"You had told me that you parents would meet with Sojiro's father. But I thought it was the previous week?" Umi said.

Yuki sat down on her bed and started explain what happened "Indeed, it was the previous week. But when I told my mother who I was dating, she didn't believe me. I asked Sojiro to come over to prove that we were dating. She fainted and we took her to the hospital. She stayed in for two days. We had to change the date, and we met this weekend."

Umi tilted her head "Eh! That's what happened. So how is your mother now? And what happened at the meeting?"

"Well my mother is doing perfectly alright. We decided to get engaged. Sojiro wanted to get married. But I am still not sure, if he can be with only one girl in the rest of his life. So we decided, we will remain together until we finish college and then we can get married. Two to three years are enough to prove if he means it or not. And since we will be officially a couple I will go live with him." Yuki clarified.

"Wait, Yuki! I cannot live alone here. I was hopping you would stay at least until the school year had finished. And you will have an official engagement? Why? I mean, when?" Umi asked so many question at once. She really had a great time with Yuki as her roomie. She never thought that Yuki would move, at least not so soon.

Yuki laughed at her friends reaction. She never seen Umi getting so personal and showing a more human side. "You know for months now, neither I or you are ever home. So I think you will manage living alone. The engagement will be this weekend. So make sure you go get a great formal dress."

Umi sighed but had to agree what could she after all do. The problem was were would she get a better dress. Indeed she lately was dressed better, with more expensive clothes. But she had found a way to do that. She would scan the storefronts, and note the outfit that was in display. Then she would get inside and bought it, so her outfit suddenly looked much better. Rui had also noticed that, but he was sure she had found a trick to do that. And he was right one day that the were standing in frond of a Dior shop. He noticed her outfit looked exact the same, even the shoes, scarf and purse, as the storefront. Umi felt ashamed and annoyed that once again he had read her. So, this time she could not do the same.

Later the same day Umi received a message. It was from Rui, he was in New York these days, taking his final exams. "The plane will be ready at 9 pm. I'll send a car to pick you up. Make sure to be ready. Since its Yuki's and Sojiro's engagement you need a dress. Shizuka is in NY also, she will help you pick up the right dress. Or will you manage to find the right one?"

The message pissed Umi more. 'I'll manage it on my own.' she thought and went out to find a dress. But as always she failed. In the end she agree to go to NY. She even got some money from her work. She knew the dress would cost a lot. There was no way she would let Rui or anyone else pay for it. She never liked others paying for her stuff. Although she would grab any opportunity she could, she wasn't the girl that needed to have others paying for her behafe.

She reached the airport the next day. After all it was a 14 hours trip. She hoped that Rui would pick her up. But Shizuka showed up. That annoyed Umi. They ended up to go shopping the same day. She was really pissed she didn't want to stay. Shizuka took her around shopping in the center of New York. With her help they had finished in two hours. The dress, and heels were found. Shizuka drove her over to Rui's college. But Umi come cross a very different Rui. He wasn't alone. He was surrounded by girls. And he looked happy and okay. Umi took the plane back home. She was half angry and half sad. But she didn't admit that. Shizuka noticed it but she didn't tell her anything. The next day and after 14 hours trip again, she was back home. With black spots under her eyes and jet lag she ended up in bed for two days. Or maybe she had more reasons than those but she never admit those.


Saturday was finally here. Everything was ready for the engagement. They would have the ceremony in Nishikado residence. Everything would be formal. Nishikado-san (Sojiro's father) wanted to have a traditional ceremony but the couple disagreed. They already would have a traditional Japanese wedding. At least the engagement could be formal, but at least modern. The time was 9 pm and slowly the group of 7 showed up for the happiest time of their friends Sojiro and Yuki.

Yuki wore a red long lace grown, with an A line. Sojiro himself ordered it from Italy. It was customized, only for Yuki. Her hair in a side ban, that would end in curls. Underneath black heels. With a lot make up, Yuki looked at her best. Sojiro also was wearing a black suit and white shirt. He was matching Yuki. The couple looked elegant and formal as ever. Makino was wearing a black dress. But no one really noticed that, her big belly of hers got all the attention. As for Domyoji, he almost showed up with jeans. Makino had to drag him back so he would where his suit. (Having their first child made him that way.) Rui (as always) dressed in white. He had shown up with Todo. Akira (who was also dressed with a black suit) picked up Umi. Umi, for once in her life looked different. Todo had found one of the best dresses, that fit her great. It was a silk (simple) gown. Black, with her back out. Long, very long. The heels were perfect too. Thankfully not too high.

"Omg Makino what happened to your belly?" Sojiro commented. He had seen her few weeks ago and the belly wasn't so huge.

"Hey, don't talk that way to my wife!" Tsukasa complained as he rubbed his wife belly. "Isn't it gigantic?" he added making everyone laugh.

Tsukushi glared at him. He had enough problems dealing with her pregnancy now she would have to deal with her immature husband of hers too. "I'll not get mad! I'll not kill him!" she murmured under her teeth as she noticed Yuki joining them.

"Hi everyone. Thank you for showing up!" she thanked them "Umi isn't here yet?"

"Akira would pick her up. But they haven't arrived yet." Rui notified her as he was leaning against the nearest wall as always.

"Wait, why didn't you pick her up?" Yuki asked. Rui was always picking Umi up (when he was in Japan at least) "Anything happened?"

Todo shook her head "Our plane landed an hour ago, so we came directly from the airport. That's why Rui asked Akira to pick her up."

"A! There they are!" Yuki yelled as she watched Akira and Umi walking towards them "What is she wearing?"

"What, did she create her own fashion again!" Rui ironic said as he lifted his gaze and looked at Umi. Time paused. Everything and everyone, vanished from Rui's sight. He only gazed at Umi. She looked different, like it wasn't Umi. Her hair was lifted up in a curly way, and her face was all visible. Her face (god her face) was so beautiful. Her body structure was also noticeable to that amazing dress. If Akira wasn't with her, Rui would have a hard time to spot that it was Umi. He had no words to describe what he was seeing.

Umi on the other hand, was annoyed again. There was Rui with Todo. 'Are they dating or what?' she had no idea why she felt so jealous. She knew those two were childhood friend. Honestly, if she could she would smack him for no reason. But she had to admit she lost her steps twice and her heart skipped a the dazzling view of Rui.

"Yuki, Sojiro sorry we are late. Umi wasn't ready! Did you already finish?" Akira asked.

"Yup, you missed everything. But It's alright. The party starts now!" Sojiro told them.

Rui scanned Umi once again before he greeted them and noted "What took you so long?" he asked but still he was spacing out.

Umi glared at him "I needed to send my final project!" Then she went and congratulated her friends.

The party went on like that. With drinks, dances, and many glares between Umi and Rui. Those two were almost ready to start a fight.

"Why didn't you stay in New York? I had booked a room!" Rui asked Umi after they ended up alone in the north side of the house.

Umi gave him a deadly look. She was sure he even didn't remember that she would arrive that day. "I though you would be busy. So I got the dress and left." she aggressively told him.

"No, I had time. I could show you around with Todo." he answered her back not sure why she was mad at him. When he left from Tokyo they were doing fine. What had changed.

"It's alright! I saw what I needed to see!" she responded fast and furious.

"What kind of answer is that. Are you mad with me or anything?" Rui asked. He could read her. Something wasn't right. Umi lately never had that wicked aura around her. Today it seemed it came back.

Umi sighed "Why would I be mad! You ask me to travel in the other side of the world, and you don't show up!"

Rui looked at her confused "I was taking an exam. And I send someone to pick you up. I would see you later."

"You have even booked a room for me!" she said with a twisted mouth and more pissed than before.

Rui turned and faced her. He had no idea what was going on. "Why were did you want to stay? Umi you are just not making any sense." he told her.

"Well with you. After all it wasn't the first time I ended up sleeping in you room." she said.

"That was here in Japan. In my house were i have more rooms to stay if needed."

Umi attacked him with her heartbeat ready to explode "You never sleep in any other rooms. You sleep in the armchair."

"Is that the problem. That you couldn't stay with me? Whats the issue here?" Rui asked her directly. There was something surely bothering her. And this time he couldn't tell why.

"Hanazawa Rui, I cannot do that anymore!" she said with a cracking voice and stepped closer. "Even if it means losing what we have now!" she added and stepped on her toes, pressing her lips against his. She wasn't sure, when it started. But, she was in love with Hanazawa Rui. Maybe she was longer in love. But since she had no idea what love was, she couldn't recognize it. Though Tonight when she saw him and Todo so close. It hit her. She was in love. And madly in love. Of course she knew Rui wouldn't have the same thoughts. But she would risk everything and anything tonight.

Rui was taken by surprise. His eyes opened widely, his heart beat paused and time froze again. He only moved when Umi withdraw and turned to leave. He grabbed her and pulled her back. He didn't know why, but what Umi started he would finish it. He gazed at her deeply, and lean closer. His lips touching hers. The soft kiss became wilder and wilder. He couldn't take his arms from Umi. Passion kicked in and they even forgot where they were. He lifted her up, letting the kiss continue and leaded her to his car. He drove fast to her apartment, not notifying anyone. Rui went on with the kiss as they entered her apartment. Clothes were stripped. Lights turned off. And they both went on with their erupting encounter on Umi's bed. Not sure what both were doing they fall asleep, after a warm and hot y night.

The others were dealing with more messy things. Makino's water had broken. Domyoji was fainting every now and then. The party was forgotten and the rest spend the night in the hospital waiting for Makino to give birth. And for Domyoji to stop fainting. It was an odd engagement to remember.

((~ upcoming chapter 9 ~ ))