Oasis: [όαση]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sometime later, maybe a couple of hours, Seolhyun heard the door open and shut quickly. Well, way too quickly and quietly to be Hyejeong, who always came down the stairs like a warrior preparing for battle.

Holding her breath, Seolhyun popped up from the mattress,

Two slender legs came into view, and then a white shirt tucked into the front of jeans. The knee-high boots gave the visitor away. They were great boots.

Lisa.

Opportunity had just come.

She came to a halt at the bottom of the stairs, her tight hair pulled back from her face. Lisa’s caramel-colored complexion was beautiful, even when it was pale. She looked like she was staring down a Demon right now.

“Oh my, Seolhyun,” she whispered, swallowing.

Slowly, so she wouldn’t send Lisa scurrying back up the steps, Seolhyun approached the bars. She knew the moment Lisa got a good look at her eyes, because she backed up, hitting the bottom step.

“Don’t go,” Seolhyun said, gripping the bars. Pale blue light flickered. “Please don’t go.”

Lisa’s throat worked again and she glanced behind her quickly before her gaze swung back to Seolhyun. “Dear Gods, it’s true. Your eyes…”

Seolhyun smiled wryly. “They take a little getting used to.”

“No doubt.” Lisa took a deep breath and stepped closer. “Hyejeong… she’s going to kill me if she finds out I’m down here, but I just had to see you for myself. They’re saying you have to stay down here, that you’re dangerous.”

For once, someone else’s impulsivity was a benefit to Seolhyun. “I’m not dangerous.”

“They’ve said you’ve threatened to make a crown out of Jisoo’s ribcage.”

Aw, hell. “I haven’t done anything.”

Lisa looked doubtful.

“Okay. You know me. I say mean things when I’m mad.”

Her lips twitched. “Yeah, you do. Seolhyun.” Her gaze flickered over the bars. “Dammit.”

Seolhyun had to proceed with caution, but she had to do it quickly. Who knew how much time they had before Hyejeong realized Lisa was down here and ruined all the fun? Using a compulsion would be easy and the quickest way to deal with this, but… but a part of her, that stupid, stupid part of her, wanted to talk to her… her friend.

And there was something Seolhyun hadn’t gotten a chance to tell her, something important.

Lisa inched closer to the cell. “You look… you look terrible.”

She frowned. “I do?”

“Have you been sleeping?” Her gaze drifted over her. “You’ve lost weight.”

Seolhyun shrugged. “You look great.”

She touched her cheek. “I don’t feel great. You have no idea what’s going on out there. Everyone is freaked out, because of…”

“Because of us.”

“Us?”

“Jimin and me.” Seolhyun leaned her head against the bars. “You went to Seoul, right?”

Lisa shook her head. “We started to, but it’s real bad there. They’re not letting anyone in. The place is on lockdown, but there’s a lot of fighting inside, I hear.” She paused. “The Gods, they have these things surrounding the Ephensys.” She shuddered and wrapped her arms around her slender waist.

That got Seolhyun’s interest. “What things?”

“I don’t know. They’re like half-man, half-bull, and machines. We ran into them when we were heading to Seoul. My mother continued on, but she didn’t want me there. She sent me here with Dean Yuna.”

A foggy memory resurfaced, one of Apollo and Hyejeong talking about those creatures. Seolhyun wondered if her Jimin knew about them.

She let go of the bars and tucked her tangled hair back. The ends curled halfway down her chest and probably were in need of a cut. Around Lisa, she couldn’t help but compare herself.

“Seolhyun, things are going to get worse. You–”

“I saw Chanmi.”

Mouth dropped open, and whatever persuasive pitch she had was forgotten. “What?”

“I’ve seen Chanmi twice since she… passed.” Seolhyun needed to get this out, and then she’d do what she had to. Her Jimin would call this need a weakness and it was, because she was wasting precious time, but Lisa needed to know. “A member of the Order attacked me while I was still at the Ephensy. He killed me. I went to the Underworld–”

“You died?”

Seolhyun winced at the shrill pitch. “Yeah, I was dead, and then I wasn’t. Long story. But I saw Chanmi.”

A hand fluttered to Lisa’s chest. “Are you messing with me, because I swear to the Gods, Seolhyun, I will hurt you.”

Cute, considering she couldn’t touch her, but Seolhyun grinned. “Chanmi’s okay. She’s really okay. She spends most of her time shopping, and she looked great. Nothing like…” The back of burned. “She’s really good.”

Lisa’s eyes glistened in the dim light. “You really saw her?”

Seolhyun nodded. “She wanted me to tell you something. I didn’t get a chance, with everything that’s going on.”

“Understandable.” She choked out a laugh. “What… what did she tell you?”

Lisa had always had manicured hands, but the nail polish was chipped and old. “I don’t know what this means, but she said to tell you that she would’ve picked Manila.”

There was a sharp inhale, and the silence stretched out so long. Seolhyun eventually had to look, and when she did, she almost wished she hadn’t.

Tears streaked down Lisa’s cheeks, running over the fingers now pressed to her lips. An answering emotion rose in the throat and Seolhyun bit down on her lip. Manila must’ve meant something really important. She wished she were on the other side of these bars, not to escape, but to hug her.

But she needed to be on the other side of these bars, and she needed to escape. There was no more time.

“Lisa,” she said, and her voice was different, even to her own ears. Softer, lyrical. Power hummed.

She stiffened, and then her hands left as her eyes locked onto Seolhyun’s. Tears clung to her lashes, but they weren’t what made her eyes glossy now. It was the compulsion in Seolhyun’s voice, an ability that had become activated upon Awakening.

Part of her loathed of what she was doing. Lisa was her best friend. Using a compulsion on her was wrong, but there was no other way. She had to get to her Jimin. Lisa would understand eventually.

“Do you know where the keys are, Lisa?”

She nodded slowly.

“Good. That’s really good.” Seolhyun reached through the bars, motioning her closer. When Lisa placed her cool hand in hers, Seolhyun squeezed gently. “Where are they?”

“With Hyejeong.” Her words were slow.

Crap. That wasn’t good. “And where is Hyejeong?”

“She’s with your uncle and Yuna.” A soft sigh leaked from her lips.

Double crap. There was no way she could get the keys. Seolhyun’s gaze slipped to the cage door and an idea took hold. Letting go of her hand, she gripped the bars and watched the flare of light. It was weak and didn’t reach the Titan mark on the ceiling.

“Lisa, will you help me?” Seolhyun threw as much power as she had into her voice, and her eyes widened. “You’ll help me, right?”

“Yes.”

“Great.” She smiled as she hurried to the door. The weakest point was where the lock was; if both of them worked it at the same time, it might just be enough. “I need you to pull on this door, as hard as you can.”

Lisa walked to the door in a daze, obediently placing her hands on the handle.

“Put everything into it,” Seolhyun urged softly. “Pull. Pull hard.”

And she did. Myxs were unbelievably strong, the bars rattled. Lisa bent at the waist, digging in with her boots. Seolhyun stepped back, wishing she had some shoes, because this was seriously going to hurt.

“Keep pulling,” she ordered, taking a deep breath.

Turning halfway, Seolhyun then spun and planted her heel into the bars around the lock. Pain splintered into her foot as shimmery blue light flared and faded quickly. An inch-wide gap appeared between the door and the bars.

“Pull really hard, Lisa.”

Lisa grunted, bearing down.

Chanmi was going to haunt Seolhyun for this.

Leaning back, Seolhyun hit the door again. Another gap appeared. With her foot going numb, she gave it one more kick. Metal groaned and gave way. The sudden force sent Lisa to the floor and the door… it was open.

Not wasting time, Seolhyun bolted through the gap, half-expecting to be cut down by some unknown defense, but then she was on the other side of the bars.

She wanted to do a victory dance and shout, but she dropped down and clasped Lisa’s cheeks. She stared into her eyes, completely under her control. “Stay here, okay? Stay here until someone comes and gets you.”

Lisa nodded.

Seolhyun started to let go, but paused. “You won’t blame yourself for this. You will blame me.”

“Okay,” came the soft, sleepy reply.

Seolhyun let go and started for the stairs. A bitter taste was in the back of as she glanced over her shoulder. Lisa remained on the floor, her eyes fixed on the spot where she’d stood.

“Thank you,” Seolhyun said, not that it mattered. Lisa didn’t hear her or understand. She wouldn’t do anything until someone came down here, and then it would be like waking from a dream.

Reassured by that, she slipped up the narrow stairs, pausing at the door. There were no voices on the other side. Taking a second, she tested the bond for Jimin, but she wasn’t there. Seolhyun didn’t have time to wait around for her to show up. As soon as she was outside and knew where she was, she’d call for her.

Inching the door open, she checked out the hallway. Empty. It was narrow, and paintings hung on the walls. It split two ways. Toward the right, natural light streamed in through a small window, beckoning her. She slid through the door, closing it behind her quietly as she took in her surroundings. A strange feeling unfurled inside her.

She pushed it out of her head and crept down the hallway. Seolhyun seriously wished someone had left a dagger or something lying around. No such luck. Come to think of it, she should’ve asked Lisa. Gods, she sometimes, but she’d been so concerned with getting free.

As she neared one of the closed doors, she thought she heard Jisoo laughing, and then Jennie. Biting down on her lip, she slipped around the staircase that led upstairs–

The door swung open and Seolhyun came face to face with Rose.

.

Mouth dropping open, Rose blinked and took a step back, bouncing into the wall.

“Rose, don’t–”

Her high-pitched, shrill roar cut Seolhyun off, and then she swung at her. Rose actually freaking swung at her. Gods. With no time for a compulsion, Seolhyun deflected her blow with a brutal swipe that sent her spinning. Rose caught herself on the wall and grunted. Before she could regain her balance, Seolhyun swiped her feet out from under her just as Jisoo’s shocked face appeared in the doorway.

“Oh crap,” Jisoo said, and she backed up quickly as Jennie shot forward.

Jennie grabbed for her, but Seolhyun was quick. “Seolhyun, you don’t want to do anything–”

Down the hall, the last door flew up, slamming into the wall. Seolhyun caught sight of black pants. Linus. Without thinking twice, she threw up her arm and the closest one to her took the brunt of the air element.

Jennie flew backwards, eyes wide and stunned. She crashed into Rose, who had moved in front of Jisoo as if to protect her. There were several grunts, a yelp of pain, and then someone yelled her name.

Spinning around, Seolhyun took off for the kitchen. Her bare feet slapped off the floor as she skirted the table and entered the living room. She reached the door in seconds, tugging then realizing it was locked. Cussing under her breath, she unlocked the damn thing and threw the door open.

Hyejeong barreled into the kitchen. “Seolhyun! No!”

Hyejeong was too late.

Seolhyun was out. She was free.

***

The moment sunlight touched her skin, Seolhyun faltered a step. It felt like years had passed since she had felt the warmth of natural light. Her senses came alive. Grass was cold under her feet, and damp. Thick, tall trees blurred as she darted across a small dirt driveway, around a Jeep, and into the heavy woods surrounding the cabin.

Legs and arms pumping, she kept running. Her hair streamed out behind her, and she pushed hard, paying attention, looking for any sign of where she was. There was nothing.

A sudden panic took root. She hurdled a fallen tree, her feet skidding over sharp pine needles. How was she supposed to tell her Jimin where she was when she had nothing but freaking trees–

“Seolhyun! Stop!”

Her breath hitched and she dared a look back.

It was her. Hyejeong.

“Crap,” Seolhyun spat, picking up speed.

Up ahead, there was a creek. Seolhyun remembered that. Thousands of years of Elpises and their abilities rushed through her. Tapping into that ability was so easy, like slipping into comfy jeans, which was irritating considering the brutal trainings she’d gone through in preparation of Awakening, and of course, her Jimin would have known that.

Extending one arm, Seolhyun summoned the water, willing it to respond to her.

Water stirred, and then a stream jetted into the air, arcing high above her. The wall of water kept coming, draining the shallow creek within seconds. It spun into a funnel, slamming into the earth behind her. A curse was drowned out. That should’ve bought her some time.

Racing over the creek, mud splattered her feet and jeans. Low-hanging branches tore at her hair, snagging strands and her shirt. Cloth ripped, but Seolhyun kept going. Sunlight peeked through the thick branches as she headed deeper into the forest, away from the cabin… away from Hyejeong.

Without warning, the bond snapped alive. “Seolhyun?”

“I’m out.” Seolhyun leapt off a large rock over a small stream and landed in a crouch. Springing up, she took off. “I don’t know where I’m at, but I’m out. Jimin, I’m–“

She could hear Hyejeong. She was close and fast, powered by something stronger than Alch and she knew, even as fast as she was, she wouldn’t have been able to outrun the Linus this long if a wall of water hadn’t stopped her.

She’d have to fight. But she wouldn’t be alone. Her Jimin was here.

Skidding to a stop, Seolhyun turned. Wind blew her hair back as she dragged in fresh, mountain air. Hyejeong cleared the way, landing in a nimble crouch several feet away from her. Water streamed from the dark waves plastered to the Linus’ head, and her black shirt clung to the hard muscles of her stomach. Under the thin, soaked material, her shoulders tensed.

Their eyes locked.

Hyejeong rose gracefully, hands open at her sides.

“You don’t want to do this,” Seolhyun warned. “Turn away.”

Hyejeong came forward. “I’m not going to leave you. I’ll never do that.”

There was a flutter in Seolhyun’s chest that didn’t belong there. She took a step back, feeling heat radiating from her fingers. Jimin’s voice hummed through the bond and Seolhyun knew what she wanted her to do, therefore she understood why she had to do this.

Seolhyun took a shallow breath and raised her chin. “Then it’s your funeral.”

“So be it.”

She launched herself at Hyejeong.

Hyejeong was prepared for it. She darted to the left, avoiding the attack. She was fast and also very skilled. Seolhyun knew, because she had trained her, but she was better than the Linus. She was the Elpis.

She smirked.

Moving lightning-fast, Seolhyun dipped and went for the legs. Hyejeong jumped, and she shot up, slamming her fist into Hyejeong’s stomach. Hyejeong stumbled back a step, but quickly regained her footing. Seolhyun’s next punch was deflected. But the third one caught her in the jaw, snapping her head back.

Sunlight reflected off the daggers attached to her thighs, and Seolhyun went for them.

Hyejeong spun to the left at the last second, and Seolhyun’s fingers only grasped the handle of one. She took a hold of Seolhyun’s wrist, twisting only enough that she yelped and let go. Her head jerked up at the surprise burst of pain, and it reflected in her eyes. For some reason, she hadn’t expected Hyejeong to hurt her.

Hyejeong pushed her back and as if she could read Seolhyun’s thoughts, she said, “I don’t want to.”

Fury blasted through her. “You can’t hurt me.”

Hyejeong jerked out of the way as she shot forward. Seolhyun whirled, delivering a spin kick to the kidneys. She moved to deliver another, but Hyejeong caught her leg and tossed her back. Seolhyun hit the ground and popped up, throwing her head back.

Energy slammed into her. Ether simmered beneath the surface, waiting to be called upon, demanding it.

She flew at Hyejeong and they went at it, brutally. Mostly on Seolhyun’s end, because Hyejeong was more about the defensive instead of the offensive, but bruises were traded, one after another.

Memories of training together surfaced. Seolhyun wasn’t sure if that was a benefit to either of them, because they anticipated each other’s moves and neither of them could gain the upper hand. Blow for blow they went, and in the back of Seolhyun’s head, she knew she could’ve called upon the Elements, but she didn’t.

Blood trickled from Hyejeong’s lip. A red mark bloomed across her jaw. Her shirt was torn along the midsection, exposing a fine line of abs, but she didn’t show any signs of slowing down.

Frustrated, Seolhyun pushed off the tree, gained some air and twisted, realizing her mistake an instant after it was too late. As she spun, Hyejeong stepped into it, catching her around the waist and spinning her around.

In training, she’d never been able to get past her this way.

She should’ve known better.

Seolhyun tipped her weight forward and they both went down on their knees. She tasted blood, but Hyejeong hadn’t hit her. Not once. But her face had connected with hers more than a few times.

“Give up,” Seolhyun growled, throwing her head back.

Hyejeong’s arms tightened around her. “You should know by now I’m not going to give up on you. You’re not that stupid.”

“Can’t say the same thing about you.” She spread her thighs and gathered her strength. “You can’t win.”

Hyejeong’s breath danced over her cheek. “You want to bet on that?”

Seolhyun ground her teeth. “You can’t have me. I’m not–”

“You’re not hers, Seolhyun. You don’t belong to anyone but yourself!”

Tsk, Hyejeong was wrong, so wrong. She belonged to her Jimin. She was created for her, only her, and Hyejeong was in the way.

Rocking forward, Seolhyun put enough space between them and powered to her feet, breaking the hold. Throwing her arm back, she caught Hyejeong across the cheek with a closed fist. The impact bruised her knuckles.

Hyejeong went down on one knee and spat out a mouthful of blood. “Gods.”

Spinning around, Seolhyun started running, ignoring the sharp pains digging into the soles of her feet.

She made it about five feet before she was tackled from behind.

Hyejeong pulled her up so that her back was pinned to her chest. “Leaving so quick? When the fun is just getting started?”

“I hate you!” Seolhyun struggled wildly, trying to dig into the ground. Loose dirt kicked up as she thrashed, becoming more like an animal caught in a net. Hours of training slipped away. “I hate you!”

“You can hate me all you want, but it doesn’t change a thing.” Hyejeong made it to her feet and started dragging Seolhyun backward, and she knew she’d drag her all the way back to the cabin, to the cage. “I’m not going to let you do this to yourself.”

Seolhyun wiggled and threw herself side to side, but they were back to the cluster of trees within seconds. “You can’t stop me! You can’t do this!”

“You don’t understand, Seolhyun. You can’t be out here.”

Seolhyun elbowed her.

Hyejeong grunted but didn’t let go. “They’ll kill you. Do you understand?” She shook her. “They’ll come to kill you!”

“And I don’t care!” Seolhyun screamed herself hoarse. “I need to go. I need to be with Jimin!”

Hyejeong in a sharp breath and her grip loosened a fraction.

Using her core, Seolhyun pulled her legs up and the combined effort toppled them over. Hyejeong hit the ground first and rolled before Seolhyun could break free, shoving her hands into her back, forcing her down. She got a mouthful of mud and grass.

“Stop it!” Hyejeong hissed in her ear. “This isn’t going to work, Seolhyun. You may not care about dying, but I care enough for you!”

“I don’t care! All that matters is Jimin. If I can’t be with her, then I’d rather be dead.”

“Do you even hear yourself?” Hyejeong’s hands pressed into Seolhyun’s shoulders. “You’d rather die than not be with her? Do you know how weak that is? The Seolhyun I know would never feel something like that!”

What she said reached deep and broke something inside her. Enraged, Seolhyun planted her hands in the rich soil and felt the earth tremble. A great roar started below, and the ground buckled under them, rolling like stormy seas.

They were thrown apart. Seolhyun smacked into a tree and hit the ground on her hands and knees.

Lightning pierced the sky, blinding her for an instant. Clouds rolled in, blocking the sun, and darkness fell. The skies opened and a torrential downpour pounded them.

Seolhyun didn’t know if it was her or something else. She was beyond caring. A giant ball of messy emotion settled in her stomach, unraveling with dizzying speeds. Anger. Frustration. Fear. All of it rushed her.

Air whipped under her and she rose off the ground. Static charged. Sparks flew. The world was colored in amber tones. She wasn’t her. She wasn’t anything anymore.

Hyejeong stood a few feet away, her eyes fixed on her. A look of horror and awe marked her face.

“Do it.” Jimin’s whisper penetrated her blood. “It’s time.”

Seolhyun’s feet touched the ground and she took a step forward. One, and then another. And Hyejeong didn’t move. She waited. It was in those sad eyes of hers, the finality of this. She wouldn’t win, she couldn’t and she knew it.

Hyejeong accepted it.

As Seolhyun reached her, the rain stopped and the clouds parted. The sun followed her footsteps.

“Seolhyun.” Hyejeong’s voice was broken.

Like a cobra striking, she took Hyejeong’s legs out from under her and the girl was on her back before another breath could be taken. Straddling her, Seolhyun placed her hands on her shoulders. The marks of the Elpis glowed a vibrant blue and raced over her skin.

She leaned in, placing her lips above hers, and the words that came out of were hers… but weren’t. “All moments end, Hyejeong. And now yours has.” She pressed her lips to the corner of hers, and she flinched. “You are weak because you love.”

Hyejeong stared up at her, unblinking. “To love is not weak. Love is the strongest thing there is.”

Seolhyun’s lips curved into a smile. “Idiot.”

Then Ether raced to the surface. Seolhyun’s skin was on fire, she was on fire. Bright blue light formed over her right arm, circling it as it climbed down to her fingers. Light flared, intense and beautiful as it was destructive.

Sunlight fell over them, and Seolhyun reared back. Ether covered her right hand. When she let it go, it would take out the life of everything in its path. There was death in that beauty. And Hyejeong made no move to defend her life.

Her eyes fixed on Seolhyun’s and she reached up slowly. The tips of her fingers grazed Seolhyun’s cheek tenderly. “I love you, Seolhyun. I always will.”

Seolhyun blinked. Her heart stuttered. She couldn’t wrap her head around how Hyejeong could say that… so lovingly, seconds from death.

“Do it, Seolhyun!”

Seolhyun’s gaze fell between them. The rose necklace had slipped out, exposed by the torn collar of her shirt. A ray of light caught the deep-red crystal edges of the rose in bloom, such a delicate thing, crafted by the hands of a true lover.

Air left Seolhyun’s lungs and her arm started to shake.

We’re in this together, Seolhyun, to the end.

Those words weren’t Jimin’s, but this was the end. Her eyes burned like it was raining acid, but the skies were clear. She was seconds from freedom… but so much, so many memories started flipping through her head.

She couldn’t stop staring at the rose.

Images of the first time she’d seen Hyejeong while she’d been training with Chanmi, then again when she’d come through the wall of fire and saved her– saved her life. Memories of her patience, her support, even her frustration with her.

Hyejeong.

“Do it, dammit!”

Jimin called to her, but Seolhyun swatted her away. These memories were important. They meant something, everything, to her, right? There hadn’t been any feelings attached to them before, but now they were soaked in emotion.

Her chest rose sharply. The day at the zoo washed over her, and then ‘Valentine’s Day’. The love they had shared. It had to mean something.

Seolhyun couldn’t breathe.

Jimin called for her again, but she was breaking apart. Shattering. Everything was coming undone. Pieces of who she used to be were repelled by what she’d become. The past and the present couldn’t coexist with the future.

She was torn in two.

Jimin yelled now, her voice roaring in Seolhyun’s head, and there was no escaping her. She was everywhere, in every cell and thought, pulling at her. But Seolhyun couldn’t breathe and Hyejeong was under her, and she couldn’t think straight. There were so many voices again. So many different ones, some were her own… and she couldn’t think.

She needed a moment, just a second of silence to think this through, to understand why Hyejeong wasn’t defending herself and how she could love, until to the end.

Jimin was furious. Pain sliced through Seolhyun’s skull as if someone had taken an ice pick and started slamming it into her head, and she knew Jimin hated this. She screamed for her, but Seolhyun pictured those shielded walls. They were pink, and they went up, stacked higher and higher. She made them thick and full of titanium, topped them off with wire and threw a little electrical fence over them, and all of that was backed by the power of the Gods. A layer of shimmery blue light draped over the walls.

The cord snapped inside her, recoiling like whiplash, and then it was gone.

Except for a low hum, there was silence, and it was just her now, alone with everything she had done.

Tipping her head back, she screamed.

Unlocked from the depths of her soul, it kept coming and coming. Seolhyun couldn’t stop it. She couldn’t comprehend what she’d become, the things she had done. And when she stopped, it was only because was raw.

She scrambled off of Hyejeong, unable to look at her. Body trembling, she crawled over the muddy ground and tucked into a vulnerable ball against a tree. Pressing her face to her knees, she dragged in breaths, but her chest ached and the pressure kept building.

“Seolhyun?” Hyejeong called out, her voice hoarse and ragged.

Seolhyun shied away, wanting her to leave. Hyejeong needed to leave her, to run away as fast as she could.

Strong hands landed on her shoulders and then slid over her arms, gently wrapping around her wrists. Even though Seolhyun couldn’t bear to look at her, her eyes opened.

It was like seeing Hyejeong after weeks of separation. She was clear to her. The curve of her broad cheekbones, the strong line of her jaw… features Seolhyun had committed to memory eons ago. Dark waves tumbled over her skin… skin marred by bruises and streaks of crimson Seolhyun had given her.

Hyejeong clasped her cheeks, her eyes searched hers. They were covered in a fine sheen, like tears, but Hyejeong never cried. “Seolhyun… oh, Gods, Seolhyun, are you here?”

Seolhyun burst into tears.

***

She wasn’t going to stop crying anytime soon. These were the big, body-shaking, embarrassing kind of sobs.

She soaked Hyejeong’s shirt.

And Hyejeong still held her against her chest as she leaned against the tree, smoothing back Seolhyun’s hair, pressing her cheek against the top of her head.

There were footsteps and voices at some point and Seolhyun stiffened in her arms. She didn’t know who came, but she felt Hyejeong shake he

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter