Devotion: [αφιέρωση]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The next week of Seolhyun’s life .

It in a way she wasn’t entirely accustomed to. True, she’d had crushes before, even to a Mortal namely Minho (if anyone still remember him, by the way), but she’d never loved someone other than her mom, and that was a different kind of love.

This kind of love hurt like hell.

Not seeing Hyejeong after class felt wrong, like something was missing. On the days she should’ve practiced with her, she tried spending time with Chanmi, Lisa and Jisoo, but she usually retreated to her room and sulked until Jimin showed up.

She missed Hyejeong, missed her so badly. Hurt consumed every waking second, turning Seolhyun into one of those girls whose world ended when a guy rejected them. Miserable, indeed.

“Are you going to get out of this bed at some point today?”

Chanmi sat with her back against the headboard of Seolhyun’s bed. A classic textbook lay unopened in her lap. She’d gotten the humiliating story out of Seolhyun a few days ago, and had been pretty pissed.

She nudged Seolhyun with her knee when she didn’t respond. “Seolhyun, it’s almost seven and you haven’t budged.”

“I don’t have anything to do.”

“Have you even showered?” Chanmi’s eyes fixed on Seolhyun’s armpit.

Seolhyun rolled over, shoving her face into her pillow. “No.”

“That’s kind of gross.”

“Uh huh,” was her only response.

A second later Chanmi’s phone made this annoyingly shrill sound from the table next to Seolhyun’s bed, and the textbook smacked the floor. Seolhyun still didn’t move. Chanmi climbed over her, shoving her elbow into her back.

“Gods!” Seolhyun yelled into the pillow. “Ouch.”

“Sshh,” Chanmi said, still sprawled over her, her bony elbows digging into Seolhyun’s back as she flipped her phone around and checked the messages.

Seolhyun could turn her head to the side, but that was all. “Who is it? Lisa?”

Chanmi rolled onto her side, cracking Seolhyun’s lower back in the process. “Yeah, she wants to know what the smell is radiating up to her room.”

“Shut up.”

“Seriously, she wants to know if you’ve showered.” Chanmi shifted onto her stomach. “You know, you’re kind of comfortable. You’re getting piggy, Seolhyun.”

“Am not, you chick.”

She laughed. “Lisa wants to know if we want to watch a movie.”

“I don’t know.”

“How can you not know? It’s a simple question and it’s a beautiful night.”

Seolhyun managed to wiggle out a shrug.

Chanmi snorted. “Look, I could just sit here for the entire day while you stared up at the ceiling like an idiot. You’re getting out of this bed, taking a shower, and we’re going to have a movie night in your dorm. End of discussion.”

Seolhyun rolled her eyes. “It’s almost curfew time.”

“What the hell?” Chanmi dropped the phone next to Seolhyun’s head, and the next thing she knew, she was sitting on Seolhyun’s back with both hands planted on her shoulders. “We haven’t done anything fun in ages!”

“You’re killing meh,” Seolhyun squeaked. “Can’t… breathe…”

“I’m suggesting we sneak over to the cafeteria, grab some drinks and food, and then watch a movie.”

Seolhyun lifted her head off the pillow. “Sounds fun, but my life is over.”

“Pay attention to the cool points of what I’m saying. With all the rules crap and you being stubborn like this,” Chanmi continued while her phone buzzing in Seolhyun’s ear, “you’re leaving next week for the Council and you’re going to be gone for weeks. We need to do this. You need to do this.”

“Can you check your phone, dude? It’s annoying.”

Chanmi leaned forward, pressing her head against the back of Seolhyun’s. “Where’s the old Seolhyun I know and love, my wild and crazy friend?”

Seolhyun grunted, unable to push her off. “Chanmi, come on.”

“Seriously. What else are you going to do?”

What else? Lie around her room all night? That was just sad. Hanging out with Chanmi and Lisa would do her some good. For a little while she could forget about Hyejeong, about how badly she loved her and how she’d rejected her.

Seolhyun squeezed her eyes shut. “Do you think… was I being stupid for, you know… the stuff with Hyejeong?”

Chanmi leaned over, pressing her cheek against Seolhyun’s. “Yes, it was and is stupid. But I still love you.”

Seolhyun laughed. “Okay. Fine.”

Chanmi finally rolled off her, resting on her side. “You serious?”

“Yeah.” Seolhyun sat up. “But I need to shower first.”

“Thank the Gods. You stink.”

Seolhyun punched her arm and swung off the bed.

Couple of minutes later, Lisa joined them as she dropped three packs of microwave popcorn, overloaded with butter, a packet of snack bars, and a bunch of candies on Seolhyun’s coffee table.

“Do you worship food or something?” Seolhyun grabbed one of the lollipops.

Lisa giggled as she reached into the pocket of her hoodie and pulled out bags of Kit Kat. “I like to be well stocked. Now all we need are some drinks.”

“That’s where Seolhyun and I come in.” Chanmi wrapped her arm around Lisa’s shoulder.

Seolhyun gnawed on her Kit Kat, eyeing the next target. Gods know the two piggies had assaulted the vending machines this past week. “I need more chocolate.”

“We need a bag.” Chanmi turned around and went in to Seolhyun’s bedroom. Digging around in her closet, she found a dark blue tote bag that would do. Holding the candy between her lips, she rolled up the bag and went back in the little living room. “I borrow this.”

Seolhyun wiggled her eyebrows as approval.

“All right. The mission, if you choose to accept it, is to return with a bag of canned sodas. It will be a risky, yet daring one. Do you accept this mission?”

Seolhyun glanced over at Lisa, grinning. “I don’t know. It’s dangerous. There’ll be Guards and Linuses lurking in the shadows, preventing us from reaching the ark of soda.”

Chanmi pulled a band off her wrist and secured a ponytail at the nape of Seolhyun’s neck. “We must be brave and strong, cunning and quick.” She paused dramatically. “We shall not fail this mission.”

Seolhyun saluted her, and then twisted toward Lisa. “Alright, any requests?”

“Anything with lots of caffeine,” Lisa responded, her eyes gleamed in the light. “Don’t take too long and don’t get caught.”

Seolhyun laughed, elbowing Chanmi’s shoulder. “Us get caught?”

Chanmi shook her head with a smirk. “See ya.”

Lisa waved her hand and sat down, messing with the remote. Seolhyun motioned Chanmi to follow her back into the bedroom. She opened the window Jimin used quite frequently and gripped the bag. “You ready?”

Chanmi nodded. “After you, capt!”

Seolhyun swung her legs over the windowsill and hung there for a moment, scanning the area. Finding it empty, she dropped the five feet to the ground, landing in a crouch. She popped up. “All clear!”

Chanmi stuck her head out, launching out the window. Standing beside Seolhyun, she shook out her shoulders. “Which way should we take?”

Seolhyun turned around, facing the back of the dorm. “This way. Lots more shadow back there and no lights.”

Chanmi nodded again, and they set off for the cafeteria. Chilly air clung to Seolhyun’s hair, sending shivers down her neck.

They stayed in the shadows, edging along the building. Both of them knew better than to talk too much as Guards and Linuses had uncanny hearing abilities when it came to sensing out students sneaking around.

At the edge of the girls’ dorm, Seolhyun peeked around the corner. It was hard to make out much of anything in the darkness. She wondered how the Guards could even see a Demon creeping up on them.

Seolhyun stopped beside her, giving Chanmi a stupid hand motion. “Ready?”

“Yeps.”

They took off, crossing the wide-open space between the girls’ dorm and the training facilities. Halfway across, Chanmi pushed Seolhyun into a prickly bush. Cursing under her breath, Seolhyun flew after her, but Chanmi was fast as she reaching safety a few feet first before her.

They continued to the edge and dashed to the medical building. Next, they had to pivot around the building where they stored all the weapons and uniforms and then they’d be at the back of the cafeteria and common lounge. From there, Chanmi knew how to get in even when the main entrance was gated shut. She had raided cafeteria many times.

A shadow moved up ahead, blending in with the night sky. As the form drew closer, they flattened themselves against the building and waited until the Guard disappeared around the corner of the med building.

Almost getting caught fueled the excitement of doing something they shouldn’t. Seolhyun could tell it got Chanmi going, too. Her eyes seemed to glow and the devilish grin on her face spread.

A sudden sound, much like a muffled gasp, broke the silence. They looked at each other, puzzled. Chanmi’s grin slipped a little as her eyes met Seolhyun’s. Shrugging at her, Seolhyun strained to hear anything else, but there was only thick silence. Slowly, they darted across the pathway, slowing down as they made it to the back of the dining hall, keeping an eye out for more Guards.

Seolhyun took a deep breath and immediately regretted doing so. The smell of rotting food filled her nostrils. Black garbage bags lay where several trash cans had toppled over. “Gods, it stinks back here.”

“I know.” Chanmi pressed against Seolhyun’s back, looking around. “Or it could just be you I smell.”

Seolhyun smacked her head. Chanmi doubled over, groaning. Seolhyun started around the corner of the dumpster and froze. The small light at the back door used by servants flickered, casting yellow light over the trash cans.

They weren’t alone in the cramped space. Another shadow moved up ahead, smaller than the Guard they’d spotted before. Seolhyun held up her hand, silencing Chanmi’s groans.

The shadow was moving straight toward them. Seolhyun looked around desperately for a better hiding spot. Their only option was to climb into the dumpster, and that wasn’t happening.

The shadow came into view as it crested the edge of the dumpster. Seolhyun’s mouth dropped open. “Rose?”

Rose jumped back, letting out a little shriek. She recovered quickly, whirling on them. “Seriously,” she hissed. “Why am I not surprised to find you two hanging out with the trash?”

Seolhyun pushed away from the dumpster and the gods-awful smell. “What are you doing out here?”

Rose’s lips curled at the corners. “What are you doing?”

“She’s probably sneaking back from hooking up with one of the Guards.” Chanmi craned her neck as she kept a wary eye on the darkness.

“I am not!” Rose screeched, startling both of them. “I hate when you guys say crap like that! I’m not a–!”

Seolhyun raised her brows. “Well, that’s totally obvious–”

Rose’s hands slammed into Seolhyun’s chest, knocking her back a few steps. Catching herself before she tumbled into bags of garbage, Seolhyun dropped the tote bag on the dirty ground, and then threw herself at her. Her fingers brushed Rose’s silky strands just as Chanmi wrapped her arm around Seolhyun’s waist and hauled her back.

“Oh, Gods, come on.” Chanmi gritted her teeth. “We don’t have time for this.”

“You freaking pushed me?” Seolhyun reached for Rose again, hands coming up empty. “I’m going to rip out every strand of your hair! You’re going bald!”

Rose squinted as she flipped her hair over her shoulder. “What are you going to do about it, you little freak? Break my nose again? Go ahead. You get into another fight, you’re out of here.”

Seolhyun laughed. “You want to test out that theory?”

Rose smirked, giving her the middle finger. “That’s probably what you want. Then you could go hang out with your Demon friends.”

“You’re such a–!”

Footsteps at the mouth of the alley silenced them. Turning in Chanmi’s arms, Seolhyun’s heart sank. A female Linus stood there, watching them. Her long blonde hair was pulled back tightly, giving her face a sharp, angular look. In the weak light, her eyes looked like two black, empty sockets. A shiver coursed down Seolhyun’s spine, heightening her senses.

Chanmi groaned, releasing Seolhyun. She straightened her shirt while Seolhyun shot Rose a nasty look. She held a hundred percent responsible for them getting busted. If Rose hadn’t been out here, then they wouldn’t have been held up and had already been inside, shoving her bag full of soda.

“Hi, I know this looks bad, but–”

“They were totally sneaking around,” Rose cut Chanmi off, planting her hands on her hips.

Seolhyun looked at her, wanting to smack her upside the head. “And what the hell are you doing, exactly?”

The Linus tilted her head to the side, her lips spreading in a tight smile that showed no teeth. Seolhyun recognized her then. It was Kyra, the Linus who’d come to her window every night on dorm searches.

Rose folded her arms, tilting her head. “It really stinks back here, okay?” She murmured loud enough for only them to hear. “So can we get this over with quickly?”

Chanmi choked on her laugh.

Kyra’s head turned toward Chanmi as she reached down, unhooking the Ephensy dagger. Her fingers circled the handle of the blade, eyes still fastened on Chanmi.

“Uh…” Chanmi stepped back. “No need to bring a dagger into this. We were just sneaking around.”

“Yeah, we’re harmless Myxs, totally Demon-free.” Rose sent Seolhyun a sly glance. “Well, two of us are.”

“I’m going to seriously hurt you,” Seolhyun snapped, glaring in her direction.

Rose rolled her eyes and turned back to the female Linus. “I have nothing to do– oh, my gods!”

“What?” Seolhyun followed Rose’s open-mouthed, horrified stare.

Kyra wasn’t alone. Behind her stood three Demon Genuines, their ghoulish faces marked by dark veins and empty eye sockets.

Seolhyun almost didn’t believe what they were seeing. The startled gasp they’d heard earlier and the Linus’ strange behavior suddenly made sense. There were no visible marks on Kyra, but Seolhyun knew beyond a doubt she was a Demon… maybe even the Demon behind the attacks? But how had she not been checked? The mystery of that would have to wait.

“Oh, man,” she whispered.

“We so picked the wrong night to sneak around.” Chanmi’s body tensed and coiled.

One of the Demon Genuines stepped forward, not even bothering to use elemental magic to conceal itself. Which was strange to Seolhyun, but then again, she wasn’t a Demon expert. “Two Myxs and…” He sniffed the air. “Something else. Oh, Kyra, excellent work.”

“They talk?” Rose gasped, sounding as if the knowledge horrified her. She’d never seen a Demon, let alone talked to one.

“A lot,” responded Chanmi.

The Demon Genuine tilted his head to the side. “Should we kill them?”

Kyra, who was still staring at Chanmi, raised her dagger. “I really don’t care. I’ve waited long enough, so one of them is all mine.”

His laugh sounded twisted. “You’d need more than just one, Kyra. They’re nothing like Genuines, but the girl with ponytail

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter