Omen: [οιωνός]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Stunned, Seolhyun jerked back from the cell door. Everything Apollo had warned her about rushed to her at once. Everyone had been afraid of something like this happening, and still she had a hard time believing that this was actually happening.

“What have you done?”

“What? I brought you a gift. Hongki.”

Seolhyun turned to her, shocked that she had to explain all the things wrong with this. “Jimin, most guys bring girls roses or chocolates. Not people. Not the Head Minister of the Council.”

“I know what he did, Seolhyun.” Jimin placed her hand over the scar Seunghyub had left behind. “I know he ordered this.”

Through the heavy material, Seolhyun could feel it.

“I felt something when it happened… like our bond had completely disappeared,” Jimin said quietly and quickly. “I couldn’t feel your emotions but I knew you were there… and then you weren’t for a few minutes. I knew. Then Jonghyun told me. My first reaction was to bring only his head to you, but I did the next best thing.”

Seolhyun felt physically ill as she looked at Hongki in the cell. She should’ve known. Jimin would do something like this.

“It didn’t take much for me to find him,” she continued casually. “And I know people were looking for him. Yonghwa,” Jimin laughed, “or should I call him Apollo? Yeah, I beat him to the punch on this one. Those two days you didn’t call me? That’s all it took for me to find him.”

The air flew right out of Seolhyun’s lungs.

Jimin frowned. “He ordered your death, Seolhyun. I figured you’d be happy to know that we have him and he’s not going to be a problem anymore.”

Seolhyun turned back to the cell. “How have the Furies not reacted to this?”

Jimin moved to stand beside her, shoulder to shoulder. “Jonghyun ordered this and had his Guards carry it out. I was only… along for the ride. Clever, aren’t I?”

“Clever?” she gasped, stepping away from the cell. “So this was Jonghyun’s idea?”

“Does it matter?” Jimin folded her arms. “Hongki tried to have you killed. For that, he has to be punished.”

“That doesn’t make this okay! Look at him!” Seolhyun pointed at the cell, feeling sick. “What is wrong with him?”

“He’s under a rather strong compulsion not to talk.” Jimin tapped her chin thoughtfully. “I’m not sure he’s even thinking. Actually, I think he’s sort of fried.”

“Gods, Jimin. Hasn’t anyone ever told you two wrongs don’t make a right?”

Jimin snorted. “Two wrongs always make a right in my book.”

“This isn’t funny!” Seolhyun tried to calm down. “Who’s going to kill him? The Genuine Council?”

“No. The new Council will.”

“The new Council? What the hell is that?”

Frustration flared in Jimin’s eyes. “You just need to understand why this is happening. This man serves the Gods who want you– us, dead. He has to be taken out.”

“Was this Jonghyun’s idea or not? Answer me.”

“Why does that matter? What if it was? He only wants to keep us safe. He wants change and–”

“And he wants Hongki’s throne, Jimin! How can you not see that?” Coldness seized Seolhyun’s insides as she stared at her. Jonghyun wanted power and taking Hongki out was one way to achieve that, but that didn’t mean he could take complete control of the Council… or did it? “There’s no way the Gods would allow this.”

“The Gods are the enemy here! They don’t speak to the Council, but they do speak to the Order.”

“Apollo saved my life! Not Jonghyun.”

“Only because they have plans for you,” she said, stepping forward. “You don’t know what I know.”

Seolhyun’s hands curled into fists. “Then tell me what you know!”

“You wouldn’t understand.” Jimin said quietly.

Taking the moment of clarity, Seolhyun seized it. “You can’t keep him here. You’re right. He has to be punished for what he did, but he needs a trial. Keeping him like this, under a compulsion in a cell, is wrong.”

Jimin turned to her. She opened , but closed it. “How can you want him to live?”

“Because it’s not our place to decide who lives or dies.”

Her brows furrowed. “And what if it will be?”

Seolhyun shook her head. “Then I don’t want any part of that. And I know you don’t, either.”

Jimin sighed. “Seolhyun, you’re training to be a Linus. You’ll make life and death decisions all the time.”

“That’s different. As a Linus, I’ll kill Demons. That’s not the same as playing jury and executioner.”

“Is it?” Jimin inclined her head toward Seolhyun, a smug smile washing away any hesitation. “How can you not see I’m doing what needs to be done, even if you’re too weak to do it yourself?”

Who in the hell was this person beside her? It was like reasoning with a lunatic. “Where are the keys to the cell?”

Her eyes narrowed. “I’m not letting him out.”

“Jimin.” Seolhyun took a tentative step toward her. “You can’t do this. Neither can Jonghyun.”

“I can do as I damn well please!”

Seolhyun shoved past her, reaching for the handle on the door, and then she was against the opposite wall with Jimin in her face. Fear blossomed low in her stomach as the cord hummed madly. “Jimin,” she whispered.

“He’s staying in there.” Her eyes flashed a dangerous color. “There are plans for him.”

Seolhyun swallowed down the sudden taste of fury. “What plans?”

“You’ll see soon enough. You don’t have to worry, Seolhyun. I’m going to take care of everything.”

Planting her hands on Jimin’s chest, Seolhyun shoved her back several feet. Shock and then anger flashed across her features. “You’re freaking insane! Don’t go down this road.”

Whirling around, Jimin stormed back to the cell and pointed at Hongki. “So, you’d rather see this thing free? Free to enslave Myxs, to order them killed? Free to continue his assassination attempts on you? And then we are to wait for a trial? They’d just slap him on the hand! Hell, they might even order you to apologize for screwing up his plans to kill you.”

Anger flooded Seolhyun. She stepped forward, toe-to-toe with Jimin. “You don’t care about what happens to the Myxs! It has nothing to do with what you’re planning! And you know that. What you’re doing… what you’re agreeing to is wrong. And I’m not–”

“Go,” she cut her off, voice furious and low.

Seolhyun stood her ground. “I’m not going to let you do this. I don’t know what Jonghyun has said–”

“I said go.” Jimin shoved her, hard. Seolhyun barely caught herself. “Maybe next time I’ll bring you roses or chocolates.”

It took every ounce of Seolhyun’s self-control to turn and walk away. She hurried up the stairs. Like a thousand times in her life, she didn’t plan on listening to what she’d been told to do. But for the first time, it was probably the right thing to do.

She pushed open the doors of the Courthouse and came face to face with the root of all her problems.

Jonghyun was lined by several Council Guards, all dressed in those white robes. The smile that spread across his face never quite reached his eyes. “I thought I’d find you here.”

Before Seolhyun knew what was happening, his Guards surrounded her. Oddly, the Guards were all Genuines. Smart move. “What’s going on, Jonghyun?”

“When will you call me ‘Father’?” He came up the final step, stopping in front of her. Wind blew his robes, giving an appearance that he was floating.

“How about next to never?”

His pleasant smile remained. “One day that will change. We will be one big happy family, the three of us.”

Now that was disturbing. “You mean Jimin? She’s as much a part of you as a sacrificed lamb.”

Jonghyun tsked softly. “You will return to my house, Seolhyun. There is no need to stay at the Shin residence any longer.”

Seolhyun’s mouth opened to argue that, but she clamped it shut. There was no way of knowing if Jonghyun was aware of her feelings for Hyejeong, or if Jimin had told him anything. Putting up a fight would only arouse his suspicions. There was nothing she could do to stop this. Jonghyun was her legal guardian.

Swallowing down her anger and distaste, she stepped forward. “I just need to get my stuff.”

Jonghyun stepped aside, motioning for her to follow. “That will not be necessary. Your belongings will be retrieved by Jimin.”

Dammit. Seolhyun stiffened as Jimin came out the door. She didn’t spare Seolhyun a glance as she brushed past her.

Jonghyun clapped Jimin on her shoulder. “Meet us back at our house.”

Jimin nodded and went down the steps. On the sidewalk, she looked up and gave Seolhyun a sardonic grin before heading off toward one of the parked Jeeps.

“Now, my dear, you will come with me,” Jonghyun said.

Fuming, but unable to do a damn thing about it, Seolhyun followed him into the other Jeep. Once he climbed in the back seat with Seolhyun, she was crawling out of her skin to get out of the car.

Jonghyun smiled. “Why is it that you’re so uncomfortable around me?”

Seolhyun turned away from the window. “There is just something about you.”

He arched a brow. “And that would be?”

“Well, you’re like a snake, but slimy.”

He leaned back against the seat as the vehicle moved. “Cute.”

Seolhyun smiled tightly. “Let’s cut the bull, Jonghyun. I know about Hongki. Why would you do something that even I think is reckless and stupid?”

“The time for change is upon us. Our world needs better leadership.”

Seolhyun’s laugh escaped before she could stop it. “Are you high?”

“For too long we’ve been expected to live by the old laws, existing beside Mortals as if we are no better than them.” Disgust dripped from his words. “They should take the place of Myxs, serving our every need. And when they do, we, the new Gods, will rule this Earth.”

“Wow, you are insane.” There was nothing else Seolhyun could say. And worse of all, Grandma Choa had been right, but like always, she hadn’t understood. History was on repeat, but in the worst possible way. And evil had hidden in the shadows, acting like a puppet master pulling strings.

Grandma Choa had been referencing Jimin and Jonghyun.

Seolhyun felt sick. If she’d only figured this out earlier, she could’ve prevented it from going this far.

“I don’t expect you to understand, but Jimin does. That’s all I need.”

“How did you get Jimin to go along with this?”

He studied his fingernails. “The girl never had a father. Her Genuine mother wanted very little to do with her. I suppose she regretted her relations with the Myx, but had been unable to get rid of her while she was still in her womb.”

Seolhyun flinched.

“It’s safe to assume that she wasn’t a very kind mother,” Jonghyun continued. “But that girl still managed to impress the Council and gain entrance into the Ephensy. She had a tough childhood, always alone. I suppose all Jimin has ever wanted is to be loved.” He looked at Seolhyun. “Could you do that? Give her the one thing she’s always wanted?”

Suddenly, Seolhyun knew beyond a doubt, Jimin hadn’t told Jonghyun about Hyejeong. But why? Removing Hyejeong from the competition would only benefit Jimin. Could it be that Jimin hadn’t because she knew it would hurt Seolhyun?

“I do hope so. Jimin is a good girl.”

Seolhyun’s eyes widened. “You sound sincere.”

Jonghyun sighed. “I’ve never had a child of my own, Seolhyun.”

Shock rippled through her. Jonghyun actually cared for Jimin. And Jimin saw him as a father. But it didn’t change what he was doing. “You’re using her.”

The vehicle rolled to a stop behind Jonghyun’s house. “I’m offering her the world. The same thing I’m offering you.”

“What you are offering is certain death for anyone who goes along with this.”

“Not necessarily. We have supporters in the most… unlikely of places. A very, powerful supporter.” Jonghyun smiled. “I have many friends that would surprise you, my dear.”

Her breath hitched. “You can’t do this.”

“Why can’t I?” He drifted toward her. “You can fight me on this all you want, but in a few couple of weeks, you’ll Awaken. First, you will connect with Jimin, and what she desires, you will desire. And then your power will transfer to her. You can’t stop that.”

Seolhyun blanched. “I’m stronger than that.”

“You think so?” He caught her chin, digging his bony fingers in. “Think about what that means and whether or not there is even a point in fighting what’s about to happen.”

Unease crept over her, but Seolhyun kept her expression blank. “If you don’t release me, I will break your arm.”

“You would, wouldn’t you?” Jonghyun laughed. “There was only one thing that Hongki and I ever agreed on.”

“What was that?”

“You need to be broken down.” He released her, the same damn smile plastered across his face. “Except he went about it all the wrong way. I will not make the same mistake that I made with your mother. I allowed her too much freedom. As of now, you’re mine. Just like Jimin is. And you would do very well to remember that.”

“You’re a bastard.”

“That may be the truth, but I’ll control both of the Elpises at the end of the day. Then we’ll be unstoppable.”

***

Dinner was awkward for several reasons.

There were only three of them clustered at the end of the long rectangular table, eating by candlelight as if they’d been into medieval times. Seolhyun refused any attempt Jonghyun made at luring her into conversation. And she couldn’t even bring herself to eat the mouthwatering steak, which really .

This might be going to be her last dinner.

She knew it. What she was planning as she watched the two would surely end up with her being killed, but it was either go out this way or be part of something as epic as destroying those who did not agree with Jonghyun and enslaving mankind. Because that’s what they planned (or at least, Jonghyun planned).

Jonghyun needed the Elpises (at least, the God Killer), to achieve this. It made sense. The Elpises had been originally created to keep the Genuines in line, but if he controlled the Elpises then he had nothing to fear. Once Seolhyun Awakened, Jimin could take down any God that went after Jonghyun, making him practically invincible.

It was a brilliant plan.

They’d give Council members an option. Stand with them, or fall. With Jimin at full Elpis power as the God Killer, she’d be able to zap any God who’s coming for her. Well, no God would be stupid enough to come within a mile of her. The only threat would be members of the Order, but they too would have one hell of a time taking Jimin down. Jonghyun already had Linuses searching for the remaining members.

Seolhyun shuddered at what she knew they would do to them.

And yet, as much as they talked, she felt there was something they weren’t sharing. There was more to this just as she felt there was more to why Apollo had been so adamant about keeping her safe.

She had to do something.

“May I be excused?” Seolhyun asked.

“You haven’t eaten anything.” Jimin frowned. “Are you feeling sick?”

Could it be she’d lost her appetite because she was surrounded by lunatics? “I’m just tired.”

“That’s fine,” Jonghyun said.

Seolhyun placed her napkin over the steak knife and slid it, handle first, up her sleeve. She stood on weak knees. Killing in battle or when she needed to protect herself was totally different than this. Part of her screamed that this was wrong, but one life to protect countless more? It seemed worth it.

Seolhyun walked around the table slowly, calming her breathing and blocking her emotions. She had enough strength to shove this knife through Jonghyun’s back, severing his spinal cord. It would be easier to go for the throat or eye, but Gods, she was grossing herself out just thinking about it.

Just do it.

She reached Jonghyun’s side and drew in a deep breath as she let the knife slide out from her sleeve. Then a freight train slammed her to the ground.

She hit the tiled floor with a hard crack. Jimin pinned Seolhyun’s legs as she twisted her wrist, until Seolhyun cried out and was forced to drop the knife. Guards rushed into the room, but Jonghyun held his hand out, stopping them.

“What the hell is wrong with you?” Jimin asked furiously, giving Seolhyun a little shake when she didn’t answer fast enough. “Are you insane?”

Her heart pounded against her ribs. “I’m not the crazy one here!”

“Really, you’re not the crazy one?” Her gaze went to the knife. “Do I need to explain this to you?”

“Deal with her.” Jonghyun stood and threw down his cloth napkin, voice eerily calm. “Before I do something I regret.”

Jimin exhaled harshly. “I’m sorry, Jonghyun. I’ll fix this.”

So shocked, Seolhyun couldn’t speak. Jimin was apologizing to Jonghyun?

“She needs to accept this,” Jonghyun said again. “I will not live in fear of being murdered in my own home. Either she complies or I’ll have her locked up.”

Jimin’s eyes met hers. “That won’t be necessary.”

Seolhyun glared at her.

“Good.” Jonghyun sounded more disgusted than afraid. It was like Seolhyun had spit on him instead of trying to kill him. “I’m retiring for the evening. Guards!”

In a rush of activity, they followed Jonghyun out of the room. Some of them were Genuines. Had he promised them something worth going against the Council and risking death?

Jimin still held Seolhyun to the floor. “That was possibly the stupidest thing you’d ever tried to do.”

“Too bad it didn’t work.”

Appearing incredulous, Jimin hauled her to her feet. The moment she let go, Seolhyun bolted for the door. She caught her before she made it out of the room, clamping her arms around her. “Stop this!”

Seolhyun threw her head back. “Let me go!”

“Don’t make this hard, Seolhyun.”

“He’s using you. Why can’t you see that?”

Jimin’s chest rose against her back. “Is it so hard for you to accept that Jonghyun cares for us?”

“He doesn’t care about us! He just wants to use us.” Seolhyun kicked her legs out to use the wall, but Jimin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter