Victory: [νίκη]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s Note:

Believe me, you all are the dearest kind of readers. Thank you for being extra and loud! Sometimes I don’t have a very fun day, but when I see the comments and messages and we theorize about things and life, I feel better. Without any one of you, this story would not have been possibly continued. So here it is, with more gratitude and affection than I can well put down here, the new beginning of the journey has been written. Enjoy the chapter. <3

 

***

Jimin’s words stunned Seolhyun into silence. Old fears, never too far away, resurfaced. She had no control in this Fate. No sense of herself. She couldn’t be built for her. She wasn’t her existence.

She was her own existence.

Seolhyun kept telling herself that as Jimin led her from the Jeep and into the back entrance of the Courthouse on the main part of Ephti Island. She had a sick feeling about this, knowing that Hongki was in a cell in this building and that something horrific was about to happen. She could feel it and there was nothing she could do.

Holding her hand in a tight grip, Jimin led her through the narrow halls to the waiting room just outside the glass-domed session area. Through the open door, Seolhyun could see the place was packed. Every Genuine who remained on the island during break like Jennie seemed to be there, as were many of the Myx Guards and Linuses.

But even stranger was the presence of the Myxs who had remained behind at school. Rowoon sat toward the back with Rose, both of them appeared just as curious as everyone else. Even a bit awkward, like they felt out of place. What were they doing here? Myxs were never allowed to attend Council unless they’d been summoned to do so.

“What’s going on?” Seolhyun asked.

Jimin kept her hand on hers, as if she knew Seolhyun would bolt if given the chance. “Jonghyun has called an emergency Council meeting. See?” She gestured toward the front of the square room. “Everyone is here.”

The Council filled the titanium-trimmed podium. Easily recognizing Jasmine in the sea of white robes, Seolhyun scanned over the other members’ curious expressions and then she turned to the audience. In the back was her uncle. He was standing, arms folded across his chest. There was a hard, cold look to his emerald gaze.

The doors opened suddenly in the back, and more entered the room. Hyejeong was among them. Seolhyun’s heart thundered in her chest as the girl stopped beside Heechul. She leaned over, mouth moving quickly. Heechul stared straight ahead, but then nodded. Then Hyejeong straightened and turned, looking straight at where Seolhyun was standing.

Jimin pulled back before Hyejeong could see them, smiling. “We’re special guests,” she said.

“That you are, my girl.” Jonghyun strode through the waiting room. His gaze settled on Seolhyun and cooled. “Has Seolhyun been agreeable?”

“What do you think?” She snapped before Jimin could respond.

Jonghyun graced her with one of his plastic smiles. “You’re not as wise or as strong as you think you are, Seolhyun, but soon you will be.”

Seolhyun shot toward him, but Jimin pulled her back and slipped an arm around her waist. That left her arms completely free and, come on, did she try to get hold of Jonghyun’s hair, or face, whatever she could grab.

“You are lucky that no one can see what you tried to do earlier,” Jonghyun hissed. He stopped by the open door, his Guards blocking the entrance. “Or I’d be forced to do something about it. Make sure she behaves, Jimin. And that she understands the consequences of acting foolishly.”

Jimin held Seolhyun, her back against her chest, waiting until Jonghyun and his Guards reached the podium. “Don’t do anything you’ll regret.”

Seolhyun struggled against her, getting nowhere. “I’m not the one who’s about to do something they’ll regret.”

“Seolhyun, please. If you try to run while we’re out there or if you do anything crazy, I’ll be forced to stop you.”

Wariness crept over Seolhyun and she felt like she could never be warm again. “You would do that to me?”

It seemed like forever before Jimin answered. “I wouldn’t want to, but I would.” She paused and another breath shuddered through her. “Please don’t make me.”

A lump formed in the throat. “I’m not making you do anything.”

“But you have,” she whispered in her ear. “Since the first time I met you. You just didn’t know, so how can I really blame you?”

Jonghyun was taking center stage, starting the Council session. All eyes were on him. No one knew of the drama playing out just behind the walls.

“I don’t understand.” Seolhyun closed her eyes against the rush of tears.

“It’s this.” Jimin shifted slightly, pressing her hand on Seolhyun’s stomach, above where she felt the Elpis cord. “You don’t know what’s it’s been like. To feel your power and mine together, to know that it will only grow stronger. It’s the Alch, yes, but it’s also the Ether. It sings to me like a jingle bell.”

Seolhyun’s breath hitched and she swallowed hard as the cord responded to Jimin.

“I can even feel it now… I know how to use it. Together, we’ll do this together.”

Seolhyun opened her eyes. “You sound… insane.”

Her fingers curled into Seolhyun’s sweater. “Come on. It’s starting.”

Just like that, Jimin changed. She tugged Seolhyun to the door, where they remained hidden but could hear what was happening. Her grip on her hand loosened, but Seolhyun knew better than to try to make a run for it.

The members of the Council were talking among themselves, and then they quieted.

Jonghyun glided to the front of the podium, clasping his hands together in front of him. An elderly Minister spoke first, her voice raspy but strong. “Has there been additional evidence indicating more Demon attacks?”

“Or is it the concoction?” another asked, his hands clasping the arms of a titanium-trimmed throne. “Are we having problems here?”

There was an immediate hum of questions from the crowd and the Ministers. Some of the faces were panicked. Demon attacks had come too close to home, and the idea of the concoction not working probably horrified those who relied on Myxs to do everything for them.

Seolhyun stiffened and the worst, absolutely worst, idea took hold.

“What are you thinking?” Jimin’s voice was low, soothing, and at complete odds with what she was capable of.

Heechul had suspected that the Demons who attacked the Council had help, and Jimin had suggested that Hongki had messed with the concoction to cause a distraction, but as Seolhyun stared at Jonghyun, she wondered how much Jimin really knew.

Jonghyun, the perfect Genuine in his white robes, gazed over the near chaotic crowd with a tight, well-practiced smile on his face. Had he been behind all of this? To create chaos? Because Seolhyun remembered one of her lessons in Myths and Legends… of how all the societies that had been on the verge of disorder were the easiest to control, shape, and manipulate… and overthrow.

“Seolhyun?”

in breath, she shook her head.

“I did not call this session to discuss those things,” Jonghyun began. “Today is a day of discoveries, my fellow Councilmen. Our world is on the brink of great change. A change that is needed, but feared by some. Today, those who fear change, those who have worked in the shadows to stop it, will be unmasked and prosecuted.”

Seolhyun’s breath caught. Hongki. But she didn’t see him anywhere.

“What are you speaking of, Jonghyun Lee?” asked a Minister. Her voice was clear but strained. “What fear and change is so great that we were called back early, away from our families and our vacations?”

Seolhyun almost rolled her eyes at the last part.

Jonghyun remained staring straight ahead. It was then when Seolhyun realized at least half of the twelve were smiling. They knew… they supported Jonghyun.

But the others had no idea.

“We have been taught to fear the possibility of two Elpises,” Jonghyun said. “Taught to see them as a threat against our very livelihood and the Gods, but I am here to tell you that, instead of fear, we should feel joy. Yes! Joy that we will have the God Killer to protect us in just a few days.”

“Protect them against what?” Seolhyun muttered. “Crazy Ministers?”

“Sshh.” Jimin glared at her.

Seolhyun’s jaw ached from clenching her teeth so hard.

“But first, we must deal with something that is both unsavory and,” he clapped his hand over his chest, “close to my heart. Guards!”

The door on the other side opened, and in an ironic twist of fate, Guards led Head Minister Hongki Lee out to the center of the podium. Seolhyun couldn’t help but remember when Irene had been brought before him, half- and shackled.

Karma was a .

There was a collective gasp from the audience and half of the Council when Hongki was forced to kneel. He lifted his head, but his glazed eyes didn’t focus on any one thing in particular.

“This man has plotted against the Council’s own decision and against my stepdaughter.” Jonghyun’s voice hardened as his lips pulled back. “And I have evidence.”

“What evidence do you have?” Jasmine spoke up, her eyes darting from Jonghyun to the silent Head Minister.

Jimin’s breath danced along the back of Seolhyun’s neck. Seolhyun tried to step away, but she pulled her back. Her temper, her nerves… everything was stretching too thin.

“During the November Council session, my stepdaughter was unfairly targeted. She’d been asked to attend to give her testimony based on the unfortunate events in Gimhae. However, Head Minister Hongki proved to have nefarious motives.”

No one on the Council looked too concerned. Seolhyun wasn’t sure if she was supposed to feel angry or sad about that.

Jonghyun turned to Hongki. A real smile, a satisfied one, appeared on his face. “My stepdaughter was a victim of several attacks. Some of you,” he glanced over his shoulder at the Council, “may find this of no concern. But she is not just a Myx. She will be the next Elpis.”

“What attacks?” asked an elderly male Minister. The cane he clutched in his left hand was just as weathered as his face.

“She was placed under an unlawful compulsion and left in the cold to die. When that failed, he attempted to coax the Council of Twelve to have her placed on the concoction and enslaved,” Jonghyun continued, now appealing to the females on the Council. “When the Council found no reason for doing so, a Genuine was compelled to give her the alluring potion.”

“Oh Gods,” Seolhyun muttered, feeling her cheeks burn.

Jasmine looked pale as she watched Jonghyun. “That… that is most revolting.”

“And that is not all.” Jonghyun turned back to the audience. “When all of these things failed, Head Minister Hongki ordered a Genuine Guard to kill her after the Demon attack. If it wasn’t for Hyejeong Shin, who used a compulsion on two Genuines, the Head Minister would’ve succeeded.”

Seolhyun’s heart slammed against her ribs as dropped open. She so got what Jonghyun had just done. He’d let out the cat out of the bag, making it sound like Hyejeong was some kind of hero to him while knowing what it meant for Hyejeong.

A Minister eyed Hyejeong with open disgust. “That is an act of treason against our kind and must be dealt with immediately. Guards!”

No. No... No.

Several people turned toward where Seolhyun knew Hyejeong stood. Guards rushed forward, as if Hyejeong now was the greatest threat. They surrounded her within seconds, daggers out and ready to be used.

Hyejeong stood remarkably still. There wasn’t a flicker of emotion in her face or eyes as the Guards closed in on her.

There was no way Seolhyun was letting this happen. She started forward, but Jimin stopped her. “Don’t.”

“How could you? They’ll execute Hyejeong for this!” Raw panic tasted like blood in . “Jonghyun has turned the entire society against him with those words, Jimin!”

Jimin said nothing.

“Wait.” Jonghyun’s voice traveled, stopping everyone. “The Genuine is not a concern at this moment. The Head Minister’s attempts in Seoul Ephensy failed numerous times, but he did not cease in his actions. He sought her out, leaving the Ephensy in a state of alarmed to continue to threaten her with servitude.”

“What happened to the Guard who supposedly attacked her?” asked the female Minister who’d spoken first.

“He has been dealt with,” Jonghyun responded, pushing on before that could be further examined. “Head Minister Hongki went against the Council’s wishes and still tried to force her into servitude. She was even attacked here, stabbed by a Myx Guard ordered to do so by him.”

“And the proof?” the elderly Minister asked. “Where is the proof?”

Jonghyun turned back to Hongki. “The proof is in his own words. Isn’t it, Head Minister?”

Hongki lifted his head. “It is true. I went against the majority vote and ordered the assassination of Seolhyun Kim.”

There were a few stunned gasps. Seolhyun knew it wasn’t for her benefit, but more so that Hongki would admit to it so easily. They didn’t know what Jimin did… that Hongki’s brain was most likely fried from a powerful compulsion.

An argument broke out among the Ministers for several minutes. Some immediately wanted Hongki impeached. Those were the ones who’d smiled earlier. Others, those who Seolhyun doubted knew what Jonghyun was up to, didn’t see how what he’d done to her was a crime. There were very few laws protecting the Myxs.

“There will be no impeachment,” Jonghyun’s voice silenced the arguing. “Head Minister Hongki will be dealt with today.”

“What?” Several of the Ministers demanded at once.

“It has come to my attention that the Head Minister is involved in Thanatos’ Order and several of those members are en route to free him.” There was another pause. Jonghyun knew how to shock and awe. “There is no time for anything else. Seolhyun’s safety is of the upmost importance.”

And now Seolhyun understood Jimin’s nervousness… all the Guards this morning. Jonghyun couldn’t have the Order ruining his plans. He’d strike first. And her safety? It wasn’t about her safety. Jonghyun was worried that she’d misbehave before he went out on the podium because Jimin didn’t have full control of her… yet.

“This wasn’t supposed to happen now, was it?” Seolhyun whispered.

Jimin said nothing.

“You all wanted to wait until after I Awakened, but you’re doing this because of the Order.”

Because wouldn’t that for Jonghyun if the Order arrived before she Awakened and ended up killing one of them? All of his plans ended for nothing.

Jonghyun motioned toward where the two were hidden. “This is a time of change. That change starts now.”

“That’s us,” Jimin said, her hand tightening around Seolhyun’s. “And dear Gods, please behave.”

Seolhyun didn’t have much time to respond to that. Jimin started walking, and she had no choice but to follow her out into the session room.

Silence so thick it choked her when they appeared. All eyes were on them as they made their way up the marble steps. They stopped just short of Jonghyun and Hongki.

Everyone started talking at once.

The Council quickly grew uncomfortable, shifting in their seats. A murmur swept through the crowd, escalating as the seconds ticked on. Some were standing, their faces showing shock and terror. No reason to fear two Elpises? Ridiculous. They knew it. Some out there in the audience recognized the danger.

Seolhyun’s heart was trying to come out of her chest, and even though she tried to stop herself, she looked for Hyejeong. She had gone still. Seolhyun wasn’t sure she was even breathing. Their gazes locked, and in an instant, there was relief and then rage in her steely eyes as her gaze dropped to where Jimin held Seolhyun’s hand tightly.

Then she moved, taking a step forward. Heechul threw out an arm, stopping her. Seolhyun wasn’t sure Hyejeong was going to pay him any attention to, but she did.

She let go of a breath she didn’t realize she’d been holding.

“What is this about?” cried a Minister.

Jonghyun just smiled. Seolhyun hated that smile. “It is our time to take back what is rightfully ours… a world where we rule and do not answer to an order of Gods who do not care whether we prosper or die. A world where Myxs are not enslaved, but stand beside us,” several startled gasps cut him off there, “but where Mortals kneel at our feet like they should. We are Gods in our own right.”

And that was right about when half of the audience came to their feet. Words like ‘blasphemy’, ‘treason’, and ‘insanity’ were tossed around. Some of the Myxs watched Jonghyun curiously, like his words held a certain appeal to them. But they’d be fools to believe him.

Jonghyun’s Guards and some Seolhyun recognized from around the Ephensy moved to the back doors, blocking anyone from escaping. She almost laughed. They’d thought the Thanatos’ Order had infiltrated deep within the Ephensy, but Jonghyun had really outdone himself. It was him alone who had infiltrated the Ephensy and Council.

“This is a time for a new era.” Jonghyun’s voice resonated through the large Courthouse. “Even the lowest Myxs who stand with us will flourish. Those who do not will fall.”

Several members of the Council stood and stepped back. Five of them, the five who supported Jonghyun, and at least two-dozen Guards… and Linuses.

Seolhyun caught a glimpse of Hyejeong moving closer to the podium, but then she lost sight of her. Focusing on what was going on in front of her, as she felt anger and alarm take hold.

“Jimin,” Jonghyun said quietly. “This man has attempted to end Seolhyun’s life several times. Is he worthy of life?”

The elderly Minister came to his feet, leaning heavily on the cane. “He has no say in this matter! Elpis or not, she does not decide life or death. If Head Minister Hongki has gone against the Council of Twelve’s wishes, then he is to be tried by that very Council!”

But he was ignored.

Seolhyun stared up at Jimin. “No,” she whispered. “No. Don’t answer that question.”

And she was ignored too.

Jimin tipped her chin up as the marks of the Elpis broke out across her face, swirling and moving down her neck, under the collar of her shirt. “He is not worthy of life.”

Pride filled Jonghyun’s eyes. “Then he is yours to deal with.”

Panic punched a hole straight through Seolhyun’s chest. She pulled away from Jimin, throwing her entire weight into breaking her grip. But she only held on tighter. Seolhyun knew what Jimin intended to do.

“No!” She cried out, still trying to pull free and break the contact. “Hongki is a douche, but we don’t decide who dies, Jimin. That is not what we are… not what the Elpis is.”

“Silly girl,” Jonghyun murmured loud enough for only the two to hear. “That is not what an Elpis decides, but what a God Killer does.”

“Don’t listen to him,” Seolhyun pleaded, and jerked as Jimin’s mark burned against hers. “You’re not like this. You’re better than this. Please.”

Jimin glanced at her. There was a moment, brief but there. Hesitation and confusion flitted across her face. Jimin didn’t fully believe she was doing the right thing.

Hope seized Seolhyun as she clutched her arm. “Jimin, you don’t want to do this. I know you don’t. And I know this isn’t you. It’s the Ether, I get it. And it’s him. He’s using you.”

“Jimin,” Jonghyun urged. “You know what you have to do. Do not fail me. Do not fail us.”

“Please,” Seolhyun begged, holding her gaze while wanting to leap over Hongki’s defeated, hunched form and snap Jonghyun’s neck. “Don’t do this to us… to me, to yourself. Don’t become a killer.”

Jimin’s lips quirked up and then she turned away from Seolhyun, facing Head Minister Hongki. “He cannot live. That is my gift to you.”

Horror stole her breath, and it struck her then. That was the difference between Hyejeong and Jimin. No matter how badly Hyejeong would want to strike back or how much she wanted something, she would never risk Seolhyun. And dammit, Jimin would.

She did.

Her hand tightened around hers. Seolhyun’s body snapped inward as Jimin tore Ether right out from underneath her. Seolhyun doubled over, catching only a flash of amber light as it enveloped Hongki. The last she’d seen Jimin use Ether, it had been blue, but that was before the four marks… before she could pull the power of the fifth from Seolhyun.

Shrieks filled the air. Not from Hongki, but from the Council and the audience. Hongki didn’t have a chance to make a sound. Once Ether hit him, charged from both Jimin and Seolhyun, he simply ceased to exist.

Glass shattered from the dome overhead. Shards of glass rained down, slicing through the air and those not quick enough to move out of the way. Three winged shapes came through the opening, howling in rage.

The Furies had arrived.

The Furies were in full ugly mode. Their skin was gray and milky. Snakes snapped from their heads. Fingers extended into sharp points. Those claws could rip through tissue and bone with ease.

They were headed straight for the Elpises.

Only a second or two had passed from the moment Jimin had charged up and taken out Hongki. One furie broke free from her sisters, arcing over the audience, emitting shrill screams.

Jimin raised her arm. Ether streaked from her hand, streaming through the air at incredible speed. She hit the first furie in the chest before the amber light sputtered out. Shock flickered over her monstrous face and then her jaw slackened. The furie dropped, spinning like a downed bird as her wings sliced through air. It landed in a lifeless pile of white silk, gray skin, and unmoving flesh a few feet in front of them.

The remaining two furies hovered by the broken window. Their mortal skins slipped over the monsters inside, and horror pinched their beautiful features.

“It’s not possible,” one shrieked, pulling at her blonde hair until strands hung from her clawed fingers. “It cannot be!”

“But it is.” The other grabbed her sister’s arm. “She has killed one of us.”

Weak in the legs, Seolhyun straightened and swayed unsteadily. Jimin’s actions had weakened her, leaving her no match for a groundhog, let alone one of the Furies, if they attacked. Realizing Jimin had released her, she stumbled to the side of the podium. She was going to die. She was sure of it. Her screams would join those of the audience… except the Furies didn’t attack.

“You’ve made war against the Gods,” one hissed. Her wings cut through the air noiselessly. “Make no mistake they will make war against you.”

The other spread her muscled arms wide. “You risk them all to gorge yourself with power that never was yours. What a path… what a path you have chosen.”

And then they were gone.

Chaos reigned extreme below the podium and on it. Hongki was gone. There wasn’t even a pile of ashes. Rage rose in the back of Seolhyun’s throat as she turned away from the spot where he’d knelt.

Toward the back, she heard sounds of fighting as Guards and Linuses went after the ones blocking the doors. A Guard near them was overtaken. One of his daggers hit the floor. Seolhyun lurched for it, wrapping her numb fingers around the hilt. She had to stop this… stop Jonghyun.

She whirled around, finding Jonghyun speaking to the Council, spouting more crazy stuff that was going to get them all killed.

Jimin was on her before she could even take a step toward Jonghyun. Their eyes met before she wrenched the dagger from Seolhyun’s hand. Jimin tossed it aside as she advanced on her. Coldness had crept upon her features. Seolhyun didn’t recognize the look in her eyes. They glowed violently, nearly luminous. It was a craving, a greed for more. The same thing Seolhyun had seen time and time again in the eyes of a Demon.

Weaponless and weak, she knew when to retreat. Her spine hit the wall as she inhaled raggedly. “This… this is not you.”

“It is me.” Jimin reached for her. “And this is us.”

Jasmine’s voice distracted her. “This is treason!” she said. Terror filled her eyes. She was trembling, hugging her elbows. Other Ministers stood behind her, faces pale. “This is treason against the Gods, Jonghyun! What you ask from us cannot be given.”

“Do you think change is not needed?” Jonghyun asked.

“Yes!” She unfolded her arms and raised them in front of her, as if she was shielding herself. “Change is needed. Myxs need more freedom and choice. There is no doubt to that. I have a Myx sister, Roseanne. I love her dearly and want a better life for her, but this… this is not the way.”

Jonghyun tilted his head to the side as he smoothed his hands over his white robes. “And what about the Gods, Jasmine?”

Her breath came out ragged as her spine straightened. “They are our only masters.”

All Seolhyun’s nightmares were coming true, as were the Order’s. Jimin stepped to the side, facing the Council members who would not bow to Jonghyun’s will.

Jonghyun smiled.

“No!” Seolhyun’s voice came out ragged as she slid along the wall, away from Jimin. “Jimin, don’t!”

But Jimin was on autopilot. She grabbed Seolhyun’s hand again. Mark pressed against mark. Pressure filled her and then the cord snapped again, pushing Ether through the bond. There was no reaching her when the power took over, no compassion.

Jimin was just Jonghyun’s killing machine.

The brilliant amber light erupted from her hand a second time.

Screams rose above the pandemonium. Seolhyun swore she could hear Rose’s above them all. She knew that couldn’t be true, because everyone was screaming. She was screaming.

Jimin released her hold, and Seolhyun dropped to her knees, gagging and choking on the smell of burnt cloth and flesh… burnt flesh. Where the seven ministers had once stood, only three remained huddled together as they stared at Jimin in horror. One whimpered, clutching the other’s arm.

Jasmine was gone.

Seolhyun’s cheeks were damp. When had she started crying? Did it matter? She didn’t know.

Rose’s older sister was gone.

Seolhyun pressed her hand to , ordering herself to pull it together. Something had to be done. This was bad, horrifying, but it would get worse once she Awakened.

In the chaos, she could escape. She couldn’t break down now. Struggling to her feet, Seolhyun held her breath and edged toward the stairs. She reached the steps and a pair of arms went around her waist, lifting her over the edge. Warmth immediately surrounded her, her body… her heart, telling her who it was who’d grabbed her.

“I’ve got you.” Hyejeong set Seolhyun on her feet. Her eyes searched hers intently. “Can you run?”

She nodded.

Within seconds, they were surrounded. “.” Hyejeong let go of her hand, blocking Seolhyun’s body with hers. Coiled tension rolled through her body.

Seolhyun wished she’d had the foresight to find the lost dagger, because then she’d at least have something to ward off Jonghyun’s Guards. Not that she’d be able to do much with it. It was taking everything in her to stand, to push through the nearly overwhelming exhaustion that had come when Jimin tapped into her power.

Then Hyejeong sprang. Spinning around, her boot connected with the jaw of the closest Guard, and then she dipped under the outstretched arm of another. Coming up, her fist struck the second in a fierce u

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter