Eagerness: [προθυμία]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A deep numbness crept over Seolhyun as she stood in a gas station bathroom. She turned her hands over and rubbed them together under the rush of icy water, watching the basin turn red, and then pink, and then clear. She kept washing her hands until they, too, felt numb.

Every so often a spasm shot through her legs and her arms would tremble, no doubt by running and running until an ache had settled so far into her body that every step had poked her bones.

Turning off the faucet, she left the bathroom, walking in no particular direction.

Take the money and run…

But run where? Where was she supposed to go? They didn’t have any close friends that they’d trusted with the truth. The Mortal part urged her to go to the police, but what could she say to them? By now, someone would have called 119 and her mother’s body would’ve been found. Then what?

She kept walking as her brain tried to answer the question of what’s happening.

Where to go?

She thought of her mom and she cried until she gagged into her hand. The storm inside her whirled, threatening to pull her under, and under. The tears had long since come to an unsatisfying end, searching for a way out.

Go to the Ephensy?

Could she seriously go back there after three years, not even knowing why they’d left?

All the risks were better than being chomped on by a Demon, better than giving up. Seolhyun had never given up on anything in her entire life.

Plan began to form.

The closest Ephensy was in Namgu, Busan. She still had enough money to get a ticket on one of the buses. She didn’t know exactly where, but the whole city would be swarming with Linus and Guards.

Seolhyun caught a cab to the airport and lingered in the near-vacant bus terminal. Pulling herself together, she climbed the steps to the bus. Dragging her feet, she picked a spot in the middle and sat down beside a window.

Everyone avoided her, probably because she looked like a hot mess. The knees of her jeans had been torn open and the shirt was stained red. Her embarrassment flashed her back to a moment in her life…

… When Seolhyun had been sixteen and just started an offensive training class at the Ephensy. She remembered being thrilled to do something other than running and practicing blocking techniques. With Chanmi Kim (her best friend and an awesome chick), they had spent the beginning of the first class pushing each other around and acting like monkeys on gag.

They’d been quite… uncontrollable when together.

Instructor Leeteuk, an older Myx who’d been injured while doing his Linus duties, had been teaching the class. He’d informed them that they’d be practicing and pairing them up with a boy named Chanhee.

Instructor Leeteuk had shown them several times how to do it correctly, warning them that, “It has to be done this way. If not, you could break someone’s neck, and that’s not something I’m teaching today.”

It had looked so easy, and being the swag little brat that she’d been, Seolhyun hadn’t really paid attention. She’d told Chanmi, like, “I so have this.” They’d high fived like two idiots and gone back to their partners.

Chanhee had executed the technique perfectly, sweeping out the leg while maintaining control of Seolhyun’s arms. Instructor Leeteuk had praised him. When it came to Seolhyun’s turn, Chanhee had smiled and waited. Halfway through the maneuver, her grip had slipped on his arm and she’d dropped him on his neck.

Oopsie.

When Chanhee didn’t get up right away and had started and twitching, Seolhyun had known she’d made a terrible miscalculation on her dangerous skill level.

What a memory.

Yawning, Seolhyun looked around the bus. There were definitely no Demons on the bus, and from what she could tell, she didn’t see any possible serial killers. She pulled the spade out and shoved it between her and the seat. The idea of sitting for the next few hours made her want to punch someone in the face. Only few more hours–

The sound breaking glass startled her. Seolhyun whirled around, expecting to be faced with a mojo of Demons… instead of found two young guys. One had thrown a rock through the window of a maintenance factory building across the street.

What rebels.

Just like that… a sudden shiver went down her spine, icy and foreboding. A strange sense kicked in and every fiber of her being screamed out a warning, before she’d spotted the Demon from the balcony.

No. They can’t be there. No way...

But Seolhyun knew the Demons had sensed her. Why, though? She was just a freaking Myx. She wasn’t even a snack pack to them. Their time would be better spent hunting down Genuines. Not her. Not a Myx.

A cold, arrogant laugh froze the blood in her veins. A Demon stood a few feet from the building, his head tilted to the side and his horrific face twisted into a gruesome smile.

Seolhyun recognized him as the Demon she’d hit over the head with a lamp.

“Run!” Seolhyun urged the two boys, shouting from the window. “Run as fast as you can!” She then zeroed in on the Demon, heart doubling over as he took a slow, lazy step forward. Something wasn’t right about the Demon. It was… too calm.

Then, when Seolhyun was pretty sure she couldn’t be having a tier day, a second Demon stepped out of the shadows… and behind him stood another Demon.

Epic.

Her brain quickly flipped through her lessons at the Ephensy:

Lesson number one, they didn’t travel in groups? Wrong.

Lesson number two, they didn’t work well together? Wrong again.

Lesson number three, they didn’t hunt Myxs?

Seolhyun was so going to kick an Ephensy Instructor in the face if she ever made it back there alive.

The first Demon held up his hand and a gust of wind, slamming into the taller boy’s chest, sending him flying through the air. His fellow surprised shriek cut off by the snapping of his bones. He fell into the ground, lifeless.

Lesson number four, they could still control the elements?

At least the Ephensy Instructors had gotten that part right.

“What’s going on?” The taller boy backed up, stumbling over his own feet. “What the hell is going on?”

“You’re going to die,” said the Demon in ripped jeans. “That’s what’s going on.”

Made a decision, Seolhyun stormed out of the bus with the spade tucked in behind her jeans, reaching the poor Mortal in seconds, grabbing his arm. “Come on! We’ve got to run!”

Crispy laughter followed them as their feet left the dirt path and crashed through field grass.

“Run!” Seolhyun yelled, pumping her legs until they burned. “Run! RUN!”

The boy was so much slower than she was and he fell, a lot. Seolhyun briefly considered leaving him there, but her mother hadn’t raised her that way. Neither had the Ephensy. She yanked him back to his feet, half tugging him across the field. He was praying and crying, actually sobbing.

“Keep moving.” Seolhyun gasped.

“What… are they?” He asked breathlessly.

“Demons,” she said, knowing no better way to describe them to a Mortal.

The boy knew Seolhyun wasn’t kidding, and with all his might, he took off.

The Demon tilted his head. “I’ll enjoy the chase. And once I catch you, even the Gods won’t be able to stop what I will do to you.”

The ground became uneven, each step sent a spike of pain up her leg and hips. Seeing the outline of the warehouses, Seolhyun pushed her sore muscles harder. Her sneakers left the earth and pounded across a thin layer of gravel. She darted between the buildings, knowing wherever she went she might have only a few stolen moments of safety.

She slowed down, peering over her shoulder before she kicked the door. She ducked inside and shut the door behind her.

Her eyes roamed the dark interior, searching for something to secure the door with. She struggled to get her fingers to stop shaking as she shoved the spade back into her pants. Rushing the stairs, they creaked and shifted as Seolhyun took the steps two at a time, keeping a death grip on the metal railing.

If she didn’t make it to Busan, if she ended up dead tonight, no one would even know. No one would even miss her or care.

Mom…

She barely reached the balcony, wind whipping her hair around her face. Waves of sorrow crashed over her, coupled with anger and frustration. Each swell cut her from the inside, slicing open wounds that would never really heal.

“This isn’t it.” Her voice was a hoarse whisper. “This can’t be it.”

She straightened, swallowing down the burning lump in .

“Screw this! I’m not dying like this. Not in here, not in this stupid city and sure as hell not in this–”

Her eyes snapped open as the sixth sense kicked her in. Since she’d fled Jeju, no place had been safe. This abandoned factory had proved no different.

The Demons were finally here.

Seolhyun could hear them on the lower level, searching each room, throwing open doors, slamming them shut. The sound threw her back to a few hours ago, when she’d pushed open the door to her mom’s bedroom. The memory twisted her gut into a raw ache, but she couldn’t think about her right now.

She jumped to her feet, to hear how many Demons were there.

Two? Three?

More?

Somewhere in the building, a floorboard groaned. A deep howl broke the silence, starting as a low whine before hitting an intense shrill pitch. The scream sounded inhuman, sick and horrifying. Nothing in this world sounded like a Demon, a hungry Demon.

And it was close.

Seolhyun rounded the corner, knowing she had only seconds–

A whoosh of air whirled around her as the Demon grabbed a handful of her shirt, slamming her into the wall. Seolhyun twisted around, her foot connected with the side of his head. The impact sent him staggering into the opposite wall. Surprise turned to horror as the Demon looked down at the garden spade buried deep in his stomach. It didn’t matter where she aimed, Titanium always killed a Demon.

With the spade still in hand, Seolhyun whirled around and took the steps two at a time.

“Where are you running to?”

Twisting around, Seolhyun’s heart slammed against her ribs. The second Demon appeared a few feet behind her. Like the one upstairs, he looked like a freak. His mouth hung open, exposing sharp, ragged teeth and those all black holes in his eyes sent chills over her skin.

“What are you doing alone?” he asked, voice deep and alluring.

Seolhyun took a step back, eyes searching the room for an exit. He blocked her way out, and she knew she couldn’t stand still for long. Demons could still control over the elements. If he hit her with air or fire, it’s the end.

He laughed, the sound lacking humor and life. “Maybe if you beg, I’ll let your death be a fast one. Myxs don’t really do it for me. Genuines, on the other hand,” he let out a sound of pleasure, “they’re like fine dining. Myx? You’re more like fast food.”

“Come one step closer, and you’ll end up like your buddy upstairs.” Seolhyun hoped she sounded threatening enough.

Uh, not likely.

His brows rose. “Now you’re starting to upset me. That’s two of us you’ve killed.”

Seolhyun’s heart stopped when the floor behind her creaked. She turned around, spotting a female Demon. She inched closer, forcing Seolhyun toward the other one.

They were caging her in, giving no opportunity to escape.

Then the worst possible thing happened.

A wall of flames flew up in front of her, burning through benches and shooting at least nine feet into the air. It was real. No illusion. The heat blew back at Seolhyun and the fire crackled.

In front of Seolhyun, a shadow walked right through the flames, looking every bit like a Demon hunter should. The fire did not burn her pants nor dirty her shirt. Not a single dark hair was touched by the blaze. Those cool, storm-cloud-colored eyes fixed on her.

It wasn’t a Demon.

It was her, Hyejeong Shin.

Seolhyun would never forget her name or face. The first time she’d caught a glimpse of Hyejeong standing in front of the training arena, a ridiculous girly crush had sprung alive. She’d been sixteen and Hyejeong eighteen. The fact she was a Genuine hadn’t mattered whenever Seolhyun spotted her around campus.

Hyejeong’s presence could mean one thing only… the Linus had arrived.

Their eyes met, and then Hyejeong looked over her shoulder. “Get down.”

Seolhyun didn’t need to be told twice. The pulse of heat shot above her, crashing into the intended target. The floor shook with the Demon’s wild howling filled the air. Rising up on her elbows, Seolhyun peered through her tangled hair as Hyejeong lowered her hand. A popping sound followed the movement, and the flames vanished as fast as they appeared.

Hyejeong Linus Fangirl-ing mode activated.

Two more Linuses rushed the room. Seolhyun recognized one of them, Inseong Kim, a Myx a year older than her. Once upon a time they had trained together.

Inseong moved with a grace he’d never had before. He went for the female Demon, and with one quick swoop, he a long, slender dagger into the burnt flesh of her skin. She, too, became nothing but dust.

The other Linus had the air of a Genuine to him, but Seolhyun had never seen him before. He was big, and he zeroed in on the unknown Demon they hadn’t seen yet. Watching how Mister Big moved such a large body around so gracefully made Seolhyun feel small, especially considering she was still lying sprawled on the floor.

Gentle hands rolled her onto her back, Seolhyun stared up at Hyejeong.

“Are you okay? Seolhyun Kim? Please say something.”

“Seolhyun,” she choked out. “Everyone calls me Seolhyun.”

“Okay. Seolhyun, can you stand?”

She nodded. Every few seconds a stabbing flash of heat rocked through her, but the hurt had faded into a dull ache.

Hyejeong managed to get one arm around her, lifting Seolhyun to her feet. “Give it a few minutes. The pain will wear off.”

Lifting her head, Seolhyun looked around. Inseong and Mister Big were frowning at piles of black dust.

Mister Big faced them. “That should be all of them.”

Hyejeong nodded to Seolhyun. “We need to go. Now. Back to the Ephensy.”

“Huh?”

Not entirely in control of her emotions, she turned back to Hyejeong. She wore all black, the uniform Linus wore. For a hot second, that girly crush resurfaced from three years ago. Hyejeong looked so fine, but fury stomped down that stupid crush.

The Ephensy was involved in this, coming to her rescue? Where the hell had they been when one of the Demons had snuck into her house?

Hyejeong took another step. Seolhyun reacted, a response born out of anger and pain. She launched herself at the Linus, using moves she hadn’t practiced in years. Simple things like kicks and punches.

Hyejeong caught Seolhyun’s hand and swung her around so she faced the other direction. In a matter of seconds, she had her arms pinned. Seolhyun bent forward, intent on getting enough space between them to deliver another kick.

“Don’t,” Hyejeong warned, voice soft. “I don’t want to hurt you.”

“Whoa!” Inseong yelled from his spot, “Seolhyun, you know us! Don’t you remember me? We aren’t going to hurt you.”

“Shut up!” Seolhyun broke free of Hyejeong’s grasp, dodging Inseong and Mister Big. None of them expected her to run, but that’s what she did.

She made it to the door leading out of the factory, dodged the broken wood and rushed outside. Her thoughts were a complete mess. Why was she running? Hadn’t she been trying to get back to the Ephensy?

Heavy footsteps sounded behind her, growing closer and closer. Seolhyun’s vision blurred a bit, heart thundered in her chest. A hard body crashed into her, knocking the air right out of her lungs. She went down in a spiraling mess of legs and arms.

Somehow, Hyejeong twisted around and took the fall. Seolhyun landed on top of her, and she stayed there for a moment before Hyejeong rolled her over, pinning her down into the itchy field grass.

Panic and rage burst through her. “Now, huh? Where were you hours ago? Where was the Ephensy when my mother was being killed? Where were you?”

Hyejeong jerked back, eyes wide. “I’m sorry. We didn’t–”

Her apology only angered Seolhyun further.

She bit her hand.

Hyejeong let out a low hiss. “Biting can be a lot of fun, but only when it’s appropriate. And that wasn’t appropriate.”

Seolhyun wrestled an arm free and gripped Hyejeong’s. “I’m going to do worse to you than biting if you don’t let go of me.”

Hyejeong blinked and then shrugged a shoulder. “I might be interested in seeing what more you can do. Pleasure. Pain. But we don’t have time for that right now.”

“Then I guess I’ll just have to try biting again.”

“You want to try?” Hyejeong leaned in closer. “Let me suggest more appropriate places–”

And Seolhyun couldn’t stop herself punching, clawing, and kicking her.

Only when Hyejeong pressed her long, lean body against hers, Seolhyun stopped. Hyejeong’s weight, the close proximity, held her still.

She could feel Hyejeong’s lips only inches from hers. The way Hyejeong lowered her head, Seolhyun really thought she was going to kiss her. Her entire body tensed in anticipation, like waiting to be kissed for the first time. By a Genuine.

Hyejeong shifted, pressing down further. She leaned in so close her nose brushed hers, left hand cupped Seolhyun’s chin, forcing her to maintain eye contact.

Then she moved her right hand to Seolhyun’s forehead.

Uh, oh.

She murmured a spell, fast and low, too quickly for Seolhyun to make out the words.

F-…

***

Whatever Seolhyun’s head rested on felt firm, but oddly comfortable. She snuggled closer, feeling safe and warm.

Then her eyes flew open.

She jerked back

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter