Affection: [στοργή]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The rest of the afternoon crawled by as the assembly dismissed, but Seolhyun tried and failed to contain her excitement when she saw Hyejeong enter the gym. “Where’s Jimin?” She bounced up to her.

Hyejeong’s eyes glittered with amusement. “She’s with the Minister. Would you prefer her?”

“No!” Seolhyun said a bit too eagerly. “What’s she doing with Jonghyun?”

Shrugging, Hyejeong led her out to the center of the mats. “Didn’t ask. You ready?”

Seolhyun nodded, and Hyejeong coached her through several techniques they’d learned in previous training. They broke apart while Hyejeong pulled out the dummies for Seolhyun to stab.

Seolhyun twirled the daggers like they were feather. “The new rules they set up for us . You know that, right? Physical exams and dorm searches?”

Hyejeong reached out, carefully tucking a strand of hair back behind Seolhyun’s ear. She was always doing little things like that, things she shouldn’t be doing. “I don’t agree with all of them, but something has to be done. We can’t continue as if nothing has happened.”

“I know we can’t continue as if nothing has happened, but that doesn’t mean the Genuines have a right to punish every single Myx.”

“We aren’t punishing the Myx. These rules were put into place to protect the Myx also.”

“To protect us?” Seolhyun gaped at her. “Because all I heard today were rules limiting what we can do. I didn’t hear anything about Genuines having to submit to embarrassing exams or being told they couldn’t even visit the main island.”

“You weren’t in the assembly when they set the new rules for the Genuines, were you?” A bit of frustration began to seep through, furrowing Hyejeong’s brows.

“Well no, but I haven’t heard any Genuines ing about anything.”

Hyejeong took a deep breath. “Then you haven’t been listening. They aren’t allowed to go anywhere unless they’re in groups. They can’t leave the island unless they’re with a Guard or a Linus–”

“Whoa.” Seolhyun laughed harshly. “Those poor Genuines have to have babysitters? At least they don’t need to get permission to leave. We don’t even have that option.”

“Preventing Myxs from leaving the island is to keep them safe.”

Seolhyun clenched the dagger, squeezing it so hard she thought it would shatter. “The new rules aren’t fair, Hyejeong. You have to see that. I know you’re a Genuine, but you can drop the act around me. You don’t have to say you agree with it because you’re expected to.”

“This isn’t an act, Seolhyun. And this has nothing to do with me being a Genuine. I agree that drastic measures need to be taken. If the Myxs have to sacrifice a couple of weeks of partying and–”

“Sacrifice a couple of weeks of partying? Are you serious? Do you think that’s why we’re upset?”

Hyejeong stalked toward her. “You’re upset because you’re being irrational and stubborn. You let your emotions rule your logic, Seolhyun. If you’d stop and think for at least five seconds, you’d see that these rules need to be in place.”

Seolhyun jerked back a step, unable to remember the last time Hyejeong had spoken to her like that. An icky feeling started in her chest and spread.

“So let me get this straight.” Her voice shook. “You think it is okay for them to restrict where we can go and what we can do? That they can search our rooms at any time? You think it’s acceptable for them to subject us to full body searches? And it’s just okay for them to launch a witch hunt the moment they think there’s another Demon?”

“No one’s starting a witch hunt, Seolhyun! I agree that certain procedures have to be taken, but I don’t agree with–”

Anger pounded through Seolhyun’s blood. She threw the practice blade to the floor. “My Gods, you’re just another Genuine, Hyejeong! You’re no different than the rest of them. How irrational of me to think otherwise.”

Hyejeong flinched as if it hit her. “I’m no different than the rest? Do you hear yourself?”

“Whatever. Who cares, right? I’m just a Myx.” Seolhyun pushed past her before she did do something irrational, like cry in front of her. Turned out, she didn’t make it very far. She kept forgetting how fast Hyejeong could move.

She blocked her, eyes flashing silver. “How can you even say I’m like the other Genuines? Answer me.”

“Because you should know that those rules aren’t fair to us!”

“This isn’t about the damn rules. I’m like the other Genuines?” Hyejeong gave a low, sharp laugh. “You really believe that?”

Then she grabbed Seolhyun’s arm, pulling her right against her chest. The unexpected contact fried Seolhyun’s brain.

“If I was like every other Genuine, I would have had you by now, without even thinking about the consequences for you. Every day is a struggle not to be like them.”

Seolhyun stared up at her, shocked to hear Hyejeong put the words out there so bluntly. I would have had you by now. Seolhyun was pretty sure she knew what Hyejeong meant.

“So don’t tell me I’m like other Genuines.”

“Hyejeong, I’m–”

“Forget it.” She released her, a wounded look slipping onto her face. “Practice is over.”

Seolhyun stood there for several seconds. She’d never really argued with Hyejeong before. Not like that. Sure, they disagreed on things all the time (like favorite authors, movies, even foods). They’d come close to knocking each other out over that, but they’d never argued over who they were.

Suddenly the gym doors flew open, banging against the wall. Jimin strode in like she owned the place. “What’s going on?”

Seolhyun glared at her. “What does it look like?”

Hyejeong swiped the blades off the mats. “I really need to find a way to lock those doors.”

Jimin shot Hyejeong a look. “I really wish you’d try.”

Hyejeong lowered her arms, fingers inching over the handle of the blades. “Don’t you have something you should be doing? I cannot believe your sole purpose of being here is to help Seolhyun a few days a week and stalk the halls of the female dorm.”

“Actually, that is my sole purpose. Didn’t you know? I’m here–”

“Uh, is practice over, Hyejeong?” Seolhyun cut in before the two choke-slammed one another.

“Yeah.” Her eyes stayed on Jimin.

Seolhyun felt there was a good chance Hyejeong might stab Jimin. There was also a good possibility Jimin might zap Hyejeong. “Okay. Thanks for the practice… and everything.”

Jimin smirked and raised her brows at Hyejeong.

“No problem,” replied her.

Groaning inwardly, Seolhyun hurried over to her gym bag. On the way out, she grabbed a fistful of Jimin’s shirt. “Come on.”

“What?” Jimin protested. “I think Hyejeong wants to hang out with me.”

“Jimin!”

“All right.” She spun around, straightening her shirt.

Seolhyun didn’t look back. Once outside the building, she dared a glance at her. “Did you need something?”

Jimin grinned. “Nope.”

“So, you busted up my training for no apparent reason? I call bull on that.”

She dropped her arm over Seolhyun’s shoulder. “You can call whatever you want. Let’s go get something to eat before your next practice.”

Seolhyun glared at her. “I hate you.”

Jimin chuckled. “You like me.”

“Whatever. So are you going to tell me why you’re always with Jonghyun? Is he a part of your little fan club now?”

“My fans love to hear my epic war stories.” Jimin jumped to her feet, swinging at her side. “They’re obsessed with me. What can I say? I’m that cool and awesome.”

Seolhyun grabbed her arm, twisting it back in a submissive hold just like in practice. “I seriously doubt that.”

Jimin stilled. “You know what, Seolhyun?”

Straightening, Seolhyun relaxed her hold on Jimin’s arm. “What?”

Jimin glanced back at her. “You really need to start resting more. The lack of sleep is clouding your judgment. I am that cool, and you just made a critical mistake.”

“Huh?”

“You should never relax your hold.” Then Jimin flipped Seolhyun off her shoulder. She hit the ground with a loud grunt. “Aw, Seolhyun, did you just fall?”

“No,” Seolhyun jumped onto her knees, rolling her eyes. “I attacked the floor.”

Jimin cracked a laugh. “What were you and Jaejeong doing in practice? You guys were too intense.”

“The name is Hyejeong, Jimin. We were practicing, and why do you need to know about everything?”

“Because I want to and I like this kind of conversation.”

Seolhyun wanted to hit her. “Well, I don’t like it.”

Jimin leaned forward, face only inches from Seolhyun’s. “I don’t like your practices with her.”

Seolhyun’s throat felt dry. “You just don’t like Hyejeong.”

“You’re right. I don’t like her. I don’t like the way she looks at you, and I really don’t like the way she looks at me.”

Seolhyun tried to keep her expression blank, but she felt her cheeks burn. “You idiot.”

Jimin smiled tightly. “I can be excellent at that too.”

Halfway through cafeteria, several Guards lined up the alley, bringing everyone to a halt. Seolhyun sent Jimin a nervous look as the first Guard started reading out names in a flat, emotionless tone. Her name was among the group of ten called out.

Her stomach turned over as she handed her gym bag to Jimin and followed the other Myxs out. Their faces were pale, eyes sharp with distrust. Quietly, they trailed behind the three Guards to the med center. The sickening feeling expanded when Seolhyun saw they were going to the same room Inseong had been kept in.

One of the male nurses, a Genuine with gray hair, faced their group. He smiled, showing off a row of straight teeth. Something about his smile clenched Seolhyun’s lungs. There were three female Myxs in the group, and his mouth twisted into a greasy grin. Nausea rose sharply.

“We will take you in one at a time. We will make this as fast as possible for you,” the Genuine said. “Any questions?”

Seolhyun raised her hand, heart tumbling over itself.

“Yes?” He sounded surprised.

“What if we don’t agree to this?”

The Genuine’s gaze darted to the Guards behind Seolhyun, and then bounced back to her. “There’s nothing to be worried about. It will be over within a couple of minutes.”

She nodded slowly, feeling the eyes of the other Myxs on her and the Guards shifting uncomfortably. “Yeah, I’m not down with this.”

“But you have no choice,” he said slowly.

“But I do and I’m choosing no. And if you don’t like that, then I’d like to see you try to make me do this.”

That was pretty much when the Guards behind her decided they were going to try to make Seolhyun do this. And that was when she decided she was going to be hitting someone again.

She elbowed the first guard in his stomach.

The second Guard tried to force her into a corner, but her spin kick sent her flying into the air. The third and final Guard took a swing at her, and she’s not sure what happened, but she did know she kind of lost it.

Time sped up incredibly fast. Seolhyun caught the Guard’s hand and twisted his arm backwards, spinning him around. Planting her foot in his back, she knocked him into a table. The first Guard came at her again. He dodged her kick, but she spun around before he could anticipate her next move and her foot connected with his chin.

Out of the corner of her eye, the female Myx rushed at her. Seolhyun jumped the table of medical gloves and cotton swabs with startling grace. There was a second when she acknowledged that she shouldn’t have been able to do that, but then the heel of her shoe slammed into the cart, crashing it into the lady’s chest. The three Guards struggled on the floor in various degrees of pain.

The white walls of the med office spun as Seolhyun turned around, facing the cowering Genuine. “I still don’t have a choice?”

He edged along the wall, his face as white as his coat, hands held out in front of him as if that could stop her. When she took a step toward him, he bolted for the door yelling, “Guards! Guards!”

Several of Myxs looked shocked, like they too couldn’t believe what Seolhyun had just done.

“You don’t have to do this,” Seolhyun said earnestly. “They can’t make you if you don’t want–”

Her words were cut off by the first Guard. Recovering, he jumped to his feet. “Miss Seolhyun Kim, you have made a very unwise decision.”

She wheeled around. The three of them rushed her at once. Seolhyun managed to knock one of the Guards aside, but another grabbed hold of her arm. Then the two Myxs blocking the entrance, putting up a decent fight. She almost smiled, but a heartbeat later, she was pinned to the cold tile. Two of the male Guards held her arms down, and the female Myx literally sat on top of her.

“Stop.” The lady grabbed the sides of Seolhyun’s head and forced it back. Blood trickled from her nose. “Stop fighting us. No one wants to hurt you.”

“You’re hurting me now,” Seolhyun gasped out. “You’re busting my spleen.” The commotion caused by the fighting quickly ceased, and for a moment, all Seolhyun could hear was the sound of her heartbeat slamming against her ribs painfully. “Okay, I’m done.”

She glared down at her. “We’ll decide when you’re done.”

“No. I will decide when you are done. And you are done with her,” came a new voice, one that was both as cold and as hard as it was oddly musical.

The weight on Seolhyun’s chest suddenly vanished, along with the Guard. The lady flew across the med room, slamming into one of the many carts lining the walls. Seolhyun rolled onto her knees, drawing in air.

Jimin took one step into the room, eyes simmering with anger. “You. Help her up now.”

“But… we have our orders. She refused to comply,” said the Guard.

“You must not have paid close attention. The Minister gave orders for all Myxs to be searched, but not his stepdaughter. I doubt he will be pleased to know you three disobeyed him.” Jimin’s gaze fell over Seolhyun. “Why have you not helped her up yet?”

The Guard who had spoken darted forward and gently placed Seolhyun on her feet.

“Apologize to her. All of you.”

Surprised, Seolhyun looked at Jimin. She was being serious. She actually wanted them to apologize for doing their jobs. And the way she looked, well, she looked like she wanted to physically make them sorry. There was something unstable in her eyes. “Jimin, that’s not–”

“Be quiet, Seolhyun. I want to hear them apologize.”

“But–”

“I’m sorry, Miss Seolhyun Kim,” the male Guard interrupted, as pale as a Demon. “I beg your pardon.”

Jimin looked pointedly at the other Guards. The female Guard limped forward, apologizing abundantly. When Seolhyun nodded, they filed out of the room, leaving Jimin and her alone for a few moments.

“Am I late?”

“You didn’t have to make them apologize. They were just doing their jobs. You didn’t–”

Jimin stood directly in front of her, moving so fast Seolhyun hadn’t even registered it. She caught the edge of Seolhyun’s chin with the tips of her fingers, looking her over. “A ‘thank you’ would be nice. I did stop them, you know.”

Seolhyun shifted uncomfortably. “Thanks.”

Jimin arched a brow as she tipped her head back. “You could also sound like you mean it.”

“I do mean it, but you embarrassed them.”

Jimin dropped her chin, seeming pleased that Seolhyun didn’t screw up her face. “You beat the Guards up when they were just doing their jobs. I guess we’re even.”

Dammit, she had a point. Seolhyun sighed. “Did Jonghyun really order them not to search me?”

“Yes, but apparently he wasn’t clear enough.”

“But what about the other Myxs? They shouldn’t have to go through that.” Instead of answering, Jimin reached out and straightened the collar of Seolhyun’s shirt. It must have come down during her fight, exposing the tags covering her neck. “Jimin, what about them?”

Dropping her hand, she shrugged. “I don’t know. I only have enough room in my head to be concerned about myself and you.”

Seolhyun snickered. “I’m surprised you have any room to think about anyone but yourself.”

The playful grin was back. “Me too. I don’t think I like it, actually.”

Seolhyun had been rolling her eyes enough for today. “Do you ever take anything seriously?”

Then the grin grew an inch wider on Jimin’s face. “I take you seriously.”

***

Jimin ended practice early that evening. Seolhyun could tell even Hyejeong had heard about what’d happened earlier. The only bright moment of the evening was when she ended up getting to eat dinner with Chanmi. The news had already traveled to her and probably the rest of the Ephensy.

“How much trouble did you get in?” Chanmi asked.

Seolhyun shrugged and dipped a fry into a tiny plate of mayo. “None, actually. Jonghyun had ordered them not to search me.”

Chanmi cringed as Seolhyun stuck the mayo-covered fry in . “You’ve been touched by the Gods. I swear.”

Seolhyun gagged. “Where’s Lisa?”

“Can you dip your fries in something normal, like ketchup?”

Seolhyun swirled her fry in the mayo more excitedly. “And where’s Lisa?”

Chanmi leaned the chair back on two legs, sighing. “She’s mad at me about yesterday. We got into an argument this morning.”

“Aw. You guys fighting?”

“I guess so. It’s stupid. Anyway, any news about the Demon?”

Seolhyun told her what Jimin had said at training about more Myxs being attacked and turned. Chanmi had the same reaction as she did; disbelief and anger. Sometimes she really, truly believed that the Councils would run better if Myxs had control. Their kind seemed to have better critical thinking skills and more common sense.

After a few moments, Chanmi spoke. “You know, I think what you did was pretty awesome.”

Seolhyun shrugged, thinking about how embarrassed the Guards had seemed. “Thanks. But it doesn’t feel pretty awesome now.”

Chanmi raised her brows. “Well, it’s got everyone talking and thinking. None of us want to go through with this. We think it was bravery.”

“It wasn’t brave. Stupid maybe, but not brave.”

“No,” she insisted. “It was brave.”

“Chanmi, you know the Genuines will go crazy if we start really, really pushing them. One Myx refusing a strip search is one thing, but dozens? That’s a big deal to them.”

The determined look gave her blue eyes an unfamiliar edge. “Like I said, I think things have to change around here.”

Seolhyun leaned forward. “Chanmi, don’t get in trouble.”

“Why are you arguing with me about this, Seolhyun? You stood up to them today, but you sound like you don’t think any of us should. Why? Only you’re allowed to, and the rest of us should just go along with whatever they want?”

“No. That’s not what I’m saying at all. It’s just that this is serious, Chanmi. It’s not about sneaking into rooms or leaving the island. People could get expelled or worse.”

“But you didn’t.”

“Yeah, well… I’m different. And uh, I’m not saying that to be like I’m super cool, either, but the only reason I’m not in trouble is because Jonghyun stepped in which is why, I don’t know. But you guys will get in trouble.”

Chanmi threw up her hands, shaking her head in disbelief. “Okay, you’re being way too…”

“Way too what?”

She frowned. “I don’t know, too rational about this or something.”

For a moment Seolhyun did nothing but stare at her, and then she busted out laughing. “Do you know you’re the only person to accuse me of being too rational?”

A smile broke out across her face, reminding Seolhyun of the younger, more carefree Chanmi, the Chanmi who didn’t get excited about taking a stand against the Genuine Council. “Well, I guess there’s a first time for everything.”

They grinned at each other, but then Seolhyun’s smile faded. “Chanmi, you’ve changed.”

Her smile disappeared. “What do you mean?”

“I don’t know. You’re just different now.” Seolhyun didn’t think Chanmi was really going to respond, especially when she stood up.

She walked around the table to sit next to Seolhyun, and her lips pursed for a thoughtful moment. “I am still your best partner in crime. One and only. And that’s not gonna change.”

Seolhyun scooted over and wrapped her arms around her stiff shoulders. “I know.”

Chanmi responded a little hesitantly at first, but then she rested her chin atop Seolhyun’s head. They stayed like that for a little while. “Ew, you have mayo in your hair,” she murmured.

Giggling, Seolhyun pulled back. “Where?”

She pointed, “You’re such a messy eater–”

Hyejeong’s sudden presence, with tense and concerned gaze answered the mouth-gaping Chanmi. She waited every second until Seolhyun turning her back at her.

When Seolhyun did, some of the tension had eased off her face. “I want to do something different tomorrow.” She said, handing Seolhyun’s gym bag. “Oh, I think Jimin left it out there at the cafeteria. Here.”

“Thanks–” Seolhyun reached out for her bag, but Hyejeong held it back.

Seolhyun grinned.

Hyejeong replied with a small smile.

“Are you going to let me off my Saturday training?” Seolhyun was only half joking. The idea of lying around in bed all day did sound really nice.

“No. That’s not what I was thinking… Not really.”

“What were you thinking?”

“It’s kind of a surprise.”

“Oh!” Seolhyun’s eyes twinkled. “What is it?”

Hyejeong chuckled. Finally. “It wouldn’t be a surprise if I told you.”

“I can act surprised tomorrow.”

“No.” Hyejeong laughed again. “That would kind of ruin it.”

“All right, but it better be good.” She reached for the bag again, but Hyejeong caught her hand.

Her fingers wrapped around Seolhyun’s. Their hands fit perfectly together… Well, at least Seolhyun thought so. A swarm of butterflies stirred in her stomach.

Seolhyun’s eyes flicked up, and she was immediately snorted at the sight of Chanmi’s clasping both hands together in her chest, theatrically. “How romantic.”

Ignoring her, Seolhyun turned at Hyejeong. She could always tell what Hyejeong was thinking by the color of her eyes.

Generally, they were the palest shade of cool gray, but when they shifted and becoming intense silver, Seolhyun knew she was on the verge of doing something… something she probably shouldn’t, but something she really wanted her to do. Like right now they’d heated to a bright quicksilver.

“It’s going to be good.” Hyejeong’s gaze dropped to her lips. “I promise.”

“Okay,” Seolhyun whispered.

“Wear something warm tomorrow, but no workout clothes.” Hyejeong whispered back.

“No workout clothes?” Seolhyun echoed dumbly.

“Meet me at training room at nine.” Hyejeong carefully placed the strap of Seolhyun’s bag over her shoulder. Her fingers lingered long enough to making breathing difficult.

Seolhyun’s skin still tingled f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter