Intelligence: [εξυπνάδα]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author’s Note:

First big reveal is coming. Please do not give out the spoiler in the comment box, okay? :P I love you guys <3

 

***

The Next Day

“Hi.” Jisoo smirked as she dropped into the seat beside Seolhyun. “How’s the date going?”

“Great.” Seolhyun glanced down at her textbook, lips pursed. “Sorry we haven’t been gossiping lately.”

Jisoo leaned over, nudging her in the side. “I understand.”

She did. That’s probably why she hadn’t pressured Seolhyun into talking with her since she’d been back. She’d just sat beside her in a class, not saying a word.

Seolhyun glanced at her again. That’s the thing about Jisoo. Everyone, including Hyejeong, saw her as a lazy, party-girl, who didn’t pay attention to anything, but she was far more observant than anyone gave her credit for. She’d had a real hard time growing up without her parents, and Seolhyun thought she’s beyond than that.

“Are you doing anything for winter break?”

Jisoo rolled her eyes. “That would require big Shin taking time off, since she won’t let me off this island without her. She’s been super-paranoid ever since the whole thing in the Seoul Ephensy. I think she’s expecting Demons or Furies to drop in here any minute.”

Seolhyun cringed. “Sorry.”

“It’s not your fault. So I’m not going to be doing anything exciting. I hear my sister is playing guard for you.”

“Yeah.”

“You know, I overheard her and the Dean talking when she visited the house.”

“What house? Hyejeong’s cabin?”

Jisoo arched a brow. “No, like the house.” She saw Seolhyun’s dumbfounded look and took pity on her. “You mean, our parents’ house? Well, it’s really Hyejeong’s house now. It’s on the other side of the Ephti Island, near Hwiyoung’s.”

Seolhyun had no idea that there was another house. She’d just assumed that Hyejeong had the cabin and Jisoo stayed in the dorm. Come to think of it, why in the hell was Hyejeong living in that tiny hut if she owned one of those huge houses on the main island?

As if she knew what Seolhyun was thinking, Jisoo sighed. “Hyejeong doesn’t like to stay at the house. Reminds her too much of our parents, and she hates the whole fancy lifestyle thing.”

“Oh,” Seolhyun whispered, glancing at the front of the classroom. Their teacher was always late.

“Anyway, back to my story. I overheard them talking.” Jisoo’s chair and desk made a terrible scratching noise as she scooted closer to Seolhyun. “Want to know?”

Jennie, who had been sitting on Lisa’s desk, faced them. Her brows rose when she saw Seolhyun, nudging Lisa on her elbow.

“Sure. Spill it,” Seolhyun said.

Jisoo was still staring at the front of the classroom. Seolhyun followed her gaze. She was giving a secret code or something to Jennie, and again, Jennie whispered something to Lisa.

And Lisa now was staring at Seolhyun.

“Anyway,” Jisoo cleared . “I think I might throw a party for those left behind during winter break. You think Hyejeong will be game?’

“Uh, probably not.”

Jisoo sighed. “It’s worth a try.”

Seolhyun glanced at Lisa who’s now walking toward them. “Can I sit?”

Jisoo gave them a knowing smile. “I gotta go.”

And Seolhyun’s stomach turned over. “Yeah Lisa, if you want.”

Lisa sat, running her hands over her knees. Several moments passed without either of them speaking. She was the first to break the silence. “So, how… how have you been?”

It was a loaded question. She glanced over at Jisoo who’s standing beside Jennie already.

Lisa let out a little breath and started to rise. “Okay. I guess–”

“I’m sorry.” Seolhyun’s voice was low, words hoarse. She felt her cheeks burn, but she forced herself to keep going. “I’m sorry for everything, especially the thing in the hallway.”

Lisa squeezed her thighs. “Seolhyun, I–”

“I know you loved Chanmi and all I’ve been thinking about is my own hurt.” Seolhyun closed her eyes and swallowed down the lump in . “I really do wish I could go back and change everything that night. I’ve thought a million times about all the things we could’ve done differently.”

“You shouldn’t… do that to yourself,” Lisa said quietly. “At first, I didn’t want to know what really happened, you know? Like the details. I just couldn’t… deal with knowing for awhile, but I finally got Rose to tell me everything about a week ago.”

Seolhyun bit her lip, unsure of what to say.

Lisa drew in a shallow breath, eyes gleaming. “She told me that Chanmi saved her. That you were fighting another Demon, and if she hadn’t grabbed her, she would’ve died.”

Seolhyun nodded, clenching the edge of the desk. Memories of the night surfaced, of Chanmi streaking past her.

“She was really brave, wasn’t she?” Her voice caught.

“Yes,” Seolhyun agreed passionately. “She didn’t even hesitate, Lisa. She was so fast and so good, but the Demon… was just faster.”

Lisa blinked several times, and her lashes looked damp. “You know, she told me what happened in Gimhae. Everything you guys went through and how you got her out of the house.”

“It was luck. They– my mom and the others, started fighting. I didn’t do anything special.”

Lisa looked at Seolhyun then, laughing quietly. “When we first shared the same class together, I was jealous of you. It was like I, a new student, couldn’t live up to everything you guys had together.”

Seolhyun took a breath. “She’s the best.”

Her smile was watery. “I guess I needed to blame someone. It could’ve been Rose, or the Guards who failed to keep the Demons out. I don’t know. It’s just that you’re this unstoppable force… that you’re an Elpis.” Locks of hair bounced as she shook her head. “And–”

“I’m not an Elpis, yet. But I get what you’re saying. I’m sorry.” Seolhyun gave her a weak smile. “I just wish–”

“And I’m sorry.”

“Lisa, I–“

“It wasn’t your fault. And I was a total to blame you. That day in the hallway, I wanted to apologize but it just all came out wrong. And I know that Chanmi would hate me for blaming you. I shouldn’t have in the first place. I was just so hurt. I miss her so much.” Her voice cracked and she turned away, taking a deep breath. “I know those are just excuses, but I don’t blame you.”

Tears clogged Seolhyun’s throat. “You don’t?”

Lisa shook her head.

Seolhyun wanted to hug her, but wasn’t sure if that would be cool. Maybe it was too soon. “Thank you.” There was more she wanted to say, but she couldn’t find the right words.

“Want to hear something funny?”

Seolhyun blinked. “Yeah.”

Turning to her, Lisa grinned even though her eyes glistened with tears. “After you and Rowoon had that fight, everyone was talking about it in the cafeteria. Taeyang was walking by and said something ignorant. I don’t remember what, well, probably something about how great being a Genuine is.” She rolled her eyes. “Anyway, Rose got up all casually and dumped her entire plate of food on his head.” A giggle broke free. “I know I shouldn’t laugh, but I wished you’d seen that. It was hilarious.”

Seolhyun’s mouth dropped open. “Seriously? What did Taeyang do? Did Rose get in trouble?”

“Taeyang threw a tantrum, calling us a bunch of chickens or something lame like that. I think Rose got written up and her sister, Jasmine, wasn’t too happy with her.”

“Wow. That doesn’t sound like Rose.”

“She’s kind of changed.” Lisa sobered up. “You know, after everything? She’s not the same. Anyway, I have some stuff I need to do, but I’m… I’m glad we talked.”

Seolhyun met her gaze and felt some of the tension leak away. “Me, too.”

She looked relieved as she smiled. “See you in the cafeteria for lunch tomorrow?”

“Sure. I’ll be there.”

“Good. I’ll keep you to that.” Lisa got up to leave, but stopped at the door. Turning around, she gave Seolhyun a small wave and a tentative smile before slipping out. “I missed you so much.”

Before Seolhyun could even open to respond to that (and honestly, she had no idea what to say), two Council Guards stepped into the class, silencing the entire room. Seolhyun shifted back in her seat as her unease blossomed, almost wishing she could crawl under the table.

The one with brown hair scanned the room, his lips pressed into a hard line. His gaze landed on Seolhyun. Jonghyun wasn’t here, and she didn’t recognize the two Guards.

“Miss Seolhyun Kim?” His voice was soft, yet full of authority. “You need to come with us.”

Every damn kid in the class turned and stared. Grabbing her bag, she met Jisoo’s wide eyes. She headed toward the front of the class, knees were shaking.

Council Guards calling someone out of class was never a good thing.

There was a low murmur echoing from where Taeyang and Rowoon sat. Seolhyun ignored them and followed the Guards out. No one spoke as they walked through the halls and up the ridiculous number of steps. Dread continued to weave its way through her. Heechul wouldn’t have sent Council Guards to retrieve her. He’d have sent Seunghyub, or Yonghwa, even Hyejeong.

The Guards opened the door to Heechul’s office, and Seolhyun was ushered in. Her gaze traveled over the room, quickly seeking out the occupant.

Her step faltered.

Head Minister Hongki Lee stood in front of Heechul’s desk, hands clasped behind him. Those pale eyes sharpened the moment their gazes locked. The gray seemed to have spread from his temples since the last time Seolhyun had seen him. Instead of the robes he’d pulled on during the Council, he wore a simple white tunic and linen pants.

The door shut with a soft click behind Seolhyun. She spun around. There were no Guards, no Heechul. She was completely alone with Head Minister of Douchebag. Great.

“Will you sit, Miss Seolhyun?”

Seolhyun turned around slowly, forcing herself to take a deep breath. “I prefer to stand.”

“But I prefer that you sit,” he replied evenly. “Take a seat.”

A direct order from the Head Minister was something she couldn’t refuse. But it didn’t mean she was just going to bend right over for him. She made her way to the chair as slowly as possible, smiling on the inside when she saw the muscle in his jaw begin to tick.

“What can I do for you, Head Minister?” Seolhyun asked after she made a rebel show of placing her bag by her feet, smoothing out her sweater, and getting comfortable.

Disgust filled his gaze. “I have some questions for you about the night you left the Council.”

Acid was eating its way through her stomach. “Shouldn’t Dean Heechul be here? And don’t you have to wait until my legal guardian is present? Jonghyun is in Seoul, where you should be.”

“I see no reason to include them in this… unseemly business.” He turned his attention to the aquarium, watching the fish for a few moments while Seolhyun grew more uncomfortable. “After all, both of us know the truth.”

That he was a giant ? Everyone knew that, but Seolhyun doubted that was what he was getting at. “What truth?”

Hongki laughed as he turned around. “I want to chat with you about the night the Demons and Furies attacked the Council.”

Seolhyun’s heart stuttered, but she kept her face blank. “I thought you knew. The Demons were after me. So were the Furies. See, I was terribly popular by the end of the night.”

“That is what you say.” He leaned against the desk and picked up a small statue of Zeus. “However there was a dead Genuine Guard found. Do you have anything to add to that?”

A bitter taste formed in the back of . “Well… there were a lot of dead Genuines and Myxs. And a lot of dead servants that no one gave two s about. They would’ve been saved if someone had helped them.”

Hongki arched a brow. “The loss of a Myx is hardly a concern of mine.”

Anger was a different taste in Seolhyun’s mouth. It tasted like blood. “Dozens and dozens of them died.”

“As I said, how would that be a concern of mine?”

He was goading her, she knew it. And Seolhyun still wanted to punch him.

“But I am here about the death of one of my Guards,” he continued. “I want to know how he died.”

Seolhyun feigned boredom. “I’d say it probably had to do with the Demons that were swarming the building. And the Furies were ripping through people.”

The smirk on his face faded. “He was killed with an Ephensy dagger.”

“Okay.” Seolhyun sat back in the chair, tilting her head to the side. “Did you know that Myxs can be turned now?”

His eyes narrowed.

Seolhyun slowed her speech down. “Well, some of those Myxs were trained as Linuses and Guards. They carry daggers. And I think they know how to use those daggers, too.” Eyes wide, she nodded. “It was probably one of them.”

Surprisingly, Hongki laughed. It wasn’t a nice laugh. “What a mouth you have on you. Tell me, is it because you think you’re so safe? That being the Elpis makes you untouchable? Or is it just blind stupidity?”

Seolhyun pretended to think about that. “Sometimes I do some pretty dumb things. This could be one of them.”

He smiled tightly. “Do you think I’m stupid? Why do you think I’ve waited until now to question you, Seolhyun? See, I know about your little bond with the First. And I know that this kind of distance negates that bond.” His smile became real as Seolhyun’s hands clenched the arms of the chair. “So, right now, you’re nothing but a Myx. Do you understand me?”

“Do you think I need Jimin to defend me?”

The hollows of Hongki’s cheeks started to turn pink. “Tell me what happened that night.”

“There was this giant Demon attack that I tried to warn you guys about, but you ignored me. You said it was a ridiculous notion that Demons could pull off such a stunt.” Seolhyun paused, letting that jab sink in. “I fought. Killed some Demons and brought down a furie or two.”

“Ah, yes. You fought magnificently from what I hear.” He paused, tapped his chin. “And then a plot was discovered. The Demons were after the Elpis.”

“Exactly.”

“I find that strange,” he replied. “Considering that they were trying to kill you in plain sight of Guards and Linuses. Who, by the way, are loyal to the Council.”

Seolhyun yawned loudly, doing everything to show she wasn’t afraid while she was shaking inside. “I have no idea what goes on inside the mind of a Demon. I can’t explain that.”

Hongki pushed off the desk, coming to stand in front of her. “I know you killed the Genuine Guard, Seolhyun. And I also know that another Genuine covered it up for you.”

Seolhyun’s brain sort of emptied as she stared up at him. Terror, so potent and so strong, knocked the air out of her lungs. How had he known? Had Hyejeong’s compulsion worn off? No… Oh Gods, Hyejeong would be dead.

“You have nothing to say to that?” Hongki asked, clearly enjoying this moment.

Pull it together. Pull it together. “I’m sorry. I’m just a little shocked.”

“And why would you be shocked?”

“Because that’s probably the stupidest thing I’ve heard in a long time.”

His lips thinned. “You’re lying. Tell me the truth, Seolhyun.”

“I am telling you the truth.” Seolhyun forced her fingers to relax around the chair arms. “I know better than to attack a Genuine, let alone kill one.”

“You attacked him.”

“I–”

“Who helped you cover it up?”

Seolhyun leaned forward in the chair. “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“You are testing my patience,” he said. “You don’t want to see what will happen when I lose it.”

“It kind of sounds like you have lost it.” Seolhyun looked around the room, forcing her heart to return to normal. “I have no idea why you’re asking me these questions. And I’m missing the last day of class before winter break. Are you going to give me an excuse or something?”

“Do you think you’re clever?”

Seolhyun smirked.

Hongki’s hand s out so quickly Seolhyun didn’t even have a chance to deflect the blow. The back of his hand connected with her cheek with enough force to snap her head to the side.

Disbelief and rage mixed, rushing through her. Her brain refused to accept the fact that Hongki had just hit her… actually dared to hit her. And her body was already demanding that she hit him back, lay him out on his back. Her fist practically itched to connect with his jaw.

Seolhyun gripped the edges of the chair, facing him. That’s what Hongki wanted. He wanted her to strike him back.

Hongki smiled.

Seolhyun returned the gesture, ignoring the stinging in her cheek. “Thank you.”

Anger flared deep in his eyes. “You think you’re tough, don’t you?”

She shrugged. “I guess you could say that.”

“There are ways of breaking you, dear girl.” His smile increased, but it never reached his eyes. “I know you killed a Genuine. And I know someone… another Genuine or the First, covered for you.”

“Once again, I have no idea what you’re talking about. I’ve already told you what happened.”

“And what you’ve told me is a lie!” He shot forward, gripping the arms of the chair. His fingers were inches from Seolhyun’s, lips pulled back, face red with fury. “Now tell me the truth or…”

“I have told you.”

A vein popped on his temple. “You are not messing with me, Myx.”

“You must not have any proof,” Seolhyun said softly, meeting his enraged stare. “If you did, I’d already be dead. Then again, to take me out, you need the Council’s permission. You know, being the precious Elpis and all.”

Hongki pushed back from the chair, turning his back to her.

Seolhyun knew she needed to shut up. Taunting him was probably the stupidest thing she could do, but she couldn’t stop. Anger and fear were never a good mix for her. “What I don’t understand is how you’re so certain that I killed a Genuine. There were obviously no witnesses to his death. No one is pointing a finger at me.” She paused, enjoying the way the muscles in his back tensed under the thin tunic. “Why would you…?”

He turned around, face impressively blank. “Why would I what?”

Her stomach churned as realization set in. Her suspicions had been correct. “How can you be so certain unless you ordered someone, a Guard, to attack me? I’m sure the Council would be pretty pissed. You might even lose your position.”

So busy triumphing, Seolhyun didn’t even see him move.

His hand caught the same cheek. The burst of red-hot pain stunned her. The chair went up on two legs before settling back down. Tears stung her eyes, but she’s holding back.

“You… you can’t do this,” Seolhyun said, voice hoarse.

Hongki grasped her wrist. “I can do as I please.” He hauled Seolhyun to her feet, fingers bruising her arms as he dragged her across Heechul’s office. He shoved her toward the window overlooking the beach. “Tell me, what do you see out there?”

Seolhyun blinked back tears, biting down on the fury threatening to boil over. Statues and sand, and beyond that, the ocean rolled and tumbled with rough waves. People were scattered across the campus.

“What do you see, Seolhyun?” His grip tightened.

Seolhyun winced, hating her moment of weakness. “I don’t know. I see people and freaking sand. And the ocean. I see lots of water.”

“See the servants?” He gestured toward the atrium, where a cluster of them stood waiting for orders from their Master. “I own them. I own all of them.”

The muscles in Seolhyun’s body locked up. She couldn’t pull her gaze from them.

Hongki leaned in, his breath in her ear. “Let me tell you a little secret about the true nature of your other half’s trip to Seoul. She’s been brought in to deal with any servant who is off the concoction and is refusing to submit. Did you know that?”

“Deal with them?”

“Take some of that cleverness from your mouth and apply it. I’m sure you can figure it out.”

Seolhyun could figure it out, but she couldn’t believe it. There was a difference between those two things. Because she understood that Hongki was claiming that Jimin would take down any Myx who was causing problems, but Jimin wouldn’t actually agree to something like that.

Hongki let go of her wrist, chuckling. He left her by the window, returning to the center of the room. “This is your last chance. I will leave the day after tomorrow, before dawn, and if you haven’t turned yourself in by then, there will be no more chances. This could end easily.”

Seolhyun didn’t even feel the throbbing in her cheek anymore.

Hongki smiled. “Admit to killing the Guard, and I won’t push on…” his lip curled, “who covered it up. And trust me, I will find out. There are only a few I have noticed who have taken any interest in you, other than the First.” He laughed. “Did you think I hadn’t been paying attention?”

Air rushed from Seolhyun’s lungs so quickly she felt dizzy.

“Let’s see.” Hongki tapped his chin. “There is your uncle, who I think cares for you far more than he lets on. He was in Seoul. Then there is that one Linus… the one who found you that night in the maze. Yonghwa, isn’t it? Then there is the one who graciously offered to train you. I do believe that would be Hyejeong Shin. And then there is Dean Yuna. All of them are suspects, and I will ensure that all of them suffer. As the Head Minister, I can revoke Heechul’s position. I can even remove Jonghyun. I can file charges against the rest. With all the recent incidents, it would be all too easy.”

A lump of horror and frustration formed in Seolhyun’s throat. Tears built behind her eyes at the same moment she wanted to smash Hongki’s head in.

“You’ll go into servitude and you will go under the concoction. If you refuse, well, things will end badly.”

Her hands curled into fists. “You’re… disgusting.”

Hongki started toward her, his hand streaking out to hit her again.

But Seolhyun caught his wrist, her eyes meeting his and holding. “I’ve been hit enough, thank you.”

A commotion from the hallway caught Hongki’s attention and he pulled his wrist free. Heechul’s voice rang loud, demanding entry to his office. Hongki raised a brow at her. “You have until dawn on Friday.”

He smirked as Heechul’s demands grew louder. Neither of them spoke during those moments.

“Why do you hate me so much?” Seolhyun asked finally.

“I don’t hate you, Seolhyun. I hate what you are”

Then the doors swung open as Seolhyun turned back to the window, struggling for control.

“What is going on in here?” Heechul demanded. The tension in his eyes was rippling out in every direction.

“I had some… unanswered concerns about the night Seolhyun left the Council,” Hongki replied. “At first she was not very cooperative when it came to the questions, but I do believe we worked out an understanding. After that, she was surprisingly helpful.”

Seolhyun wondered how quickly she could rip one of those daggers off Heechul’s wall and plunge it into Hongki’s eye before his Guards could react.

“And why was I not involved in this questioning? Or better yet, why couldn’t this wait until Jonghyun’s return?” Heechul said evenly. “He is her guardian and should have been present.”

Hongki tsked softly. “This wasn’t a formal questioning by the Council. I had a few concerns I needed to clear up. Therefore I had no need for Jonghyun’s or your presence. That is, beside the fact that I am the Head Minister and do not need your permission.”

Heechul’s face went hard.

“Seolhyun,” called Hongki. “Please do not forget what we’ve discussed.”

Seolhyun didn’t respond, because she was still considering whether or not she could stab him before the Guards took her down.

Hongki excused himself then, giving out pleasantries in such a calm manner Seolhyun almost found it hard to believe.

“Seolhyun?” Heechul’s voice broke the silence. “What did he want to discuss with you?”

“He had questions about what happened at the Council.” Seolhyun’s voice was unnaturally thick. “That’s all.”

“That’s all?” Hyejeong said, and Seolhyun’s heart dropped all the way to her toes. Of course, she was here. “What happened?”

Facing them, Seolhyun used her hair to shield her stinging cheek from them and kept her gaze plastered to the carpet. “Apparently, I have a bad attitude. We had to work through that.”

Hyejeong was suddenly in front of her, tipping her chin back. Seolhyun’s hair slid off her cheek. Rage blasted off her, swallowing up the air like a black hole of fury. “He did this?” Her voice was so low she barely heard her.

Unable to answer, Seolhyun looked away.

“This is unacceptable.” Hyejeong whirled on Heechul. “He cannot do this. She’s a girl.”

Sometimes Hyejeong forgot that she was also a girl and Seolhyun was also a Myx, which pretty much zeroed out the whole ‘not hitting girls’ thing. Like with Rowoon. Like with most Genuine. Their society, their rules and how they were treated, it . There were no words for it.

And at once, a thousand questions rose up, but one stood out. How could Seolhyun continue to be a part of this world? Being a Linus, in a way, was supporting the social structure, basically saying that she was okay with this, and she wasn’t. She hated it.

Shaking her head, Seolhyun pushed those thoughts out of her head for now. “He’s the Head . He can do whatever he wants, right?”

Heechul looked dumbfounded as he continued to stare at his niece. Was he really that surprised by Hongki’s violence? If that was the case, he’d just lost some intelligence points. He turned to Yonghwa. “She was supposed to go nowhere by herself. Why was Hongki able to reach her?”

“She was in class,” Yonghwa responded. “Seunghyub was waiting for her to leave. And no one expected Hongki to be here. Not with everything that is happening in Seoul.”

Heechul cut a dangerous look at Seunghyub. “If you have to sit in class with her, then do it.”

“It’s not his fault,” Seolhyun said. “No one can watch me every second of the day.”

Hyejeong cursed. “Is that all you’ll do? She is your niece, Heechul. He hit your niece and that’s your answer?”

Heechul’s eyes deepened to a bright green. “I am well aware of the fact that she is my niece, Hyejeong. And do not think for one second that I found any of this,” he threw his hand toward Seolhyun, “acceptable. I will contact the Council immediately. Hongki has no right.”

Seolhyun shifted her weight. “And the Council is going to care? Seriously? You guys beat the crap out of servants all the time. Why would I be any different?”

“You are not a servant,” Heechul said, storming to his desk.

“Does that make it okay?” Seolhyun shouted, hands curling into fists. All eyes were on her.

Behind his desk, Heechul took a deep breath and briefly closed his eyes. “Are you okay, Seolhyun?”

“I’m just salty.”

Hyejeong took her arm. “I’m taking her to the clinic.”

Seolhyun pulled her arm free. “I’ll be fine.”

“He hit you,” Hyejeong seethed, eyes flashing.

“And it will just bruise, ok

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter