Eloquence: [ευφράδεια]

Elpis
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Two Weeks Later…

Seolhyun stared at the ceiling of the gymnasium. Gods, her hurt. No surprise, though, as she’d landed on it about dozen times already. The only thing not burning with pain was her face.

It was on fire for an entirely different reason.

Her Fighting 101 Class wasn’t going well.

This style of hand-to-hand combat wasn’t exactly her favorite. Her muscles screamed as she pulled herself off the mats and faced their Instructor.

Running a hand through his thinning hair, Instructor Jonghoon looked disgusted with the entire class. “If he’d been a Demon, you’d be dead now. Do you understand? Dead, not alive, Miss Seolhyun.”

Seolhyun gritted her teeth and managed a nod.

Jonghoon shot her another scathing glare. “It’s difficult to believe you have any amount of Alch in you. The essence of the Gods is wasted on you, young lady. The way you fight, you might as well be Mortal.”

Dude, hadn’t she killed three Demons? Wasn’t that worth something?

“Square off. Keep your eyes trained on muscle movement.” Jonghoon instructed.

Seolhyun turned back to Rowoon, her current opponent. With his swaggy looks and those dark, y eyes, he could be quite the distraction.

Rowoon winked at her.

Seolhyun narrowed her eyes at him. They weren’t allowed to talk during sparring. Instructor Jonghoon felt it took away from the authenticity of fighting. Really, even in all of Rowoon’s glory, he wasn’t the reason she kept missing his heel strikes and spin kicks.

The source of her absolute failure leaned against the training room wall… Dark waves tumbled over her forehead, some would say Hyejeong needed a new more-Linus-like haircut, but Seolhyun loved the wilder look she’d been favoring recently.

An instant later, their gazes locked. Hyejeong returned to the stance Seolhyun was all too familiar with; long arms crossed over her chest, legs widespread. Watching, always watching.

Now she communicated a look that said Seolhyun should be paying attention to Rowoon instead of her.

It wasn’t so much the near perfect curve of her wide cheekbones, or the way her smile hinted at a set of perfect white teeth, or that impossibly sculpted body of–

Seolhyun snapped out her drooling time with a moment to spare. She blocked Rowoon’s knee with a brutal swipe of her arm, and then she went for a throat strike. Rowoon countered it easily. They circled one another, delivering blows and dodging them. He stepped back, dropping his arms to his sides.

Spinning around, she aimed her knee for his midsection. Rowoon darted to the side, but not quickly enough. Seolhyun caught him hard in the stomach.

Surprisingly, Instructor Jonghoon clapped. “Good–”

“Oh, crap,” Chanmi moaned from the group of students standing against the wall.

The thing about defensive kicks, once they made contact with their opponents, they either needed to go for the kill shot or back up. But Seolhyun had done neither. Rowoon doubled over her knee and went down, taking her along for the ride. They hit the mat, and somehow… Rowoon ended sprawled atop her. His weight knocked her head back and the air out of her lungs.

Instructor Jonghoon yelled, slipping into a different language (maybe Greek or something). Anyway, whatever he said sounded suspiciously like cursing.

Rowoon lifted his head, grinning. “Enjoying this, huh?”

“Get off.” Seolhyun pushed at his shoulders.

Chuckling, Rowoon rolled and stood. Ever since the whole ‘Seolhyun’s mom murdered his girlfriend’s parents’ incident, they hadn’t gotten along.

Flushing with embarrassment, Seolhyun scrambled to her feet and stole a quick glance at Hyejeong. Her expression may have appeared blank, but Seolhyun knew she’d already compiled a mental list of all the things she’d done wrong and filed it away. But she wasn’t her immediate concern.

Instructor Jonghoon stalked across the mats, stopping in front of Rowoon and her. “That was absolutely unacceptable! You move away or dispose of the opponent.”

To drive in his point, Jonghoon threw his arm out, hitting Seolhyun square across the chest. She stumbled back an inch and clenched her jaw shut. Every cell in her body demanded that one day she’d do the same in return.

“You do not wait! And you,” Jonghoon whirled on Rowoon. “Do you plan to lie on Demons for fun? Let me know how that works out for you.”

Rowoon flushed, but didn’t respond. They didn’t talk back in Jonghoon’s class.

“Off the mats now– not you, Miss Seolhyun Kim!”

Seolhyun stopped, eyeing Chanmi and Lisa hopelessly. They stared back, their expressions mirroring hers. Realized to what she knew was going to happen next, because it’d happened every class with Jonghoon, she turned to the Instructor and waited for the epic smackdown.

“Many of you aren’t ready for graduation.” Jonghoon prowled the edge of the mat. “Many of you will die the first week on the job, but you, Miss Seolhyun? You’re an embarrassment to the Ephensy.”

Jonghoon was an embarrassment to the male race, but he didn’t hear her ing.

He circled her slowly. “I am shocked that you faced down Demons and still stand before me. Some may think you have potential. I have yet to see it.”

Out of the corner of Seolhyun’s eye, she saw Hyejeong. She’d stiffened, gaze narrowed upon them. There was nothing she could do, even if she wanted to.

“Prove to me that you belong here,” Jonghoon said finally. “Prove to me that you have gained re-entry to the Ephensy based on merit and not familial ties.”

Instructor Jonghoon was a bigger jerk than most Instructors. He was one of the Genuines who’d chosen to become a Linus instead of enjoying life living off prosperity. Like Hyejeong, Genuines who chose this kind of life were a rare case, but that was where the similarities between the two ended. Jonghoon had hated Seolhyun from the first day of training, and Seolhyun liked to believe Hyejeong felt quite the opposite.

Jonghoon attacked.

For someone old, Jonghoon sure could move fast. Seolhyun backed across the mats, trying to remember everything Hyejeong had taught her over the summer. He swung around, booted heel aiming for her midsection. Seolhyun swiped his leg away and threw a punch she really, really meant. But he blocked that. On and on they went, exchanging and receiving blows.

With each swing and each kick, Jonghoon’s blows became more brutal. It was like fighting a Demon, because Seolhyun seriously believed Jonghoon wanted to do her real harm. She was holding it until her sneaker slipped off the edge of the mat.

Reaching out and grabbing a fistful of Seolhyun’s ponytail, he yanked her forward. “You should be less worried about your confidence,” he said, twisting her so her back faced the doors. “And cut your hair.”

Seolhyun rolled into the fall, half grateful that it was over. She didn’t even care that he’d kicked her in front of the entire class.

“Listen to me, Myx. Dying in battle is not your worst nightmare anymore.”

Seolhyun’s eyes popped wide. Oh, no. No, he wouldn’t dare…

He pushed the sleeve of the under armor shirt until Seolhyun’s skin was exposed to the elbow. “This is what happens to you. Take a good, long look at what happens when you fail.”

Fire coursed across Seolhyun’s cheeks and her brain sort of emptied. She tried, really tried, to keep the scars hidden from her classmates. She focused on anything other than the faces of the students as Jonghoon continued to show the world her Demon tags.

Her gaze fell over his rough-aged hand, then up his own battle-scarred arm. The sleeve of his shirt had fallen back, revealing a tattoo of a torch turned downward.

Instructor Jonghoon hadn’t struck her as the type to be into tattoos, by the way.

Jonghoon dropped her arm then, allowing Seolhyun to pull her sleeve down. She hoped he got eaten by hungry Demons or something worse.

“None of you are ready to become Linus, to face a Demon Myx trained just like you.” Jonghoon’s voice carried through the room. “I don’t expect most of you to show any improvement by tomorrow. Class is over.”

Seolhyun fought the urge to jump on Jonghoon’s back like a monkey and snap his neck.

On his way out, Rowoon bumped into her. “Your arm looks like a roasted bacon. That’s real hot.”

“Son of a–”

Instructor Jonghoon’s hand snapped out, catching Seolhyun’s chin. “Your mouth, Miss Seolhyun, could also use improvement.”

“But–”

“I do not care.” He dropped his hand, glaring down at her still. “I do not tolerate such foul words in my class. This is your last warning. Next time you will find yourself in the Dean’s office.”

Unbelievable.

Then Jonghoon stalk out of the room.

Chanmi approached her, and Lisa handing Seolhyun her gym bag. “He’s a prick, Seolhyun.”

Seolhyun waved her hand dismissively, not sure if they were talking about Jonghoon or Rowoon.

“One of these days, you’re so gonna kill him.” Lisa prayed.

“Which one?” Seolhyun asked.

“Both.” Chanmi grinned as she tapped Seolhyun’s arm gently. “I just hope I’m here to see it.”

A shadow fell over their little group, quickly dismissing them. Seolhyun didn’t have to look up to know it was Hyejeong. Only this girl had the kind of power to send just about anyone running in the opposite direction. Respect and fear did that magic.

“See you later,” Chanmi called out.

Seolhyun nodded vaguely, staring at Hyejeong’s sneakers.

“Seolhyun, look at me.”

Against her will, she obeyed. When Hyejeong spoke that way, she couldn’t help it.

Then she stood in front of her, long and lean body made a shape.

Really, Seolhyun couldn’t stop obsessing over it.

“You didn’t fail.”

Seolhyun shrugged. “Doesn’t seem that way, does it?”

“The Instructors are tougher on you because of the time you’ve missed and because your uncle is the Dean. People look at what you do. They pay attention.”

“And my stepfather is the Minister of Council. I get it, Hyejeong. Look, let’s get this over with.” Seolhyun’s voice was a little sharper than she intended.

Hyejeong caught her arm and pushed up the sleeve of the shirt. It had a whole different effect on her than what Prick Jonghoon did. A flutter formed in her chest, spreading a warm flush all over her. “You should never be ashamed of these scars, Seolhyun. Never.” Then she dropped her arm. “Let’s get this going so you can rest.”

Seolhyun trailed behind her. “What about your rest? Don’t you have a patrol tonight?”

Hyejeong circled her, stopping to position her arms at mid-level. “You’re holding your arms wrong. That’s why Rowoon’s hits kept getting through.”

“What about your rest?” Seolhyun persisted the question.

“Don’t worry about me.” She squared off, motioning her forward with one hand. “Worry more about yourself. This is going to be a tough year for you, and you’re doing three times harder in training.”

“I’d have more free time if I didn’t have to practice with Jimin.”

Hyejeong swung forward so fast. “Seolhyun, we’ve been over this.”

“I know.” Seolhyun stopped her movement.

“Seolhyun.” Hyejeong moved out of the offensive stance, studying her closely.

“What?” She dropped her arms.

Hyejeong opened , seeming to rethink her words. “You’ve been looking a little tired lately. Are you getting enough rest?”

Seolhyun felt her cheeks burst with rosy color. “Gods, do I look that bad or something?”

Hyejeong drew in a deep breath and let it out slowly. Softness crept across her features. “You don’t look bad at all. It’s just that… you’ve been through a lot and you seem tired.”

“I’m okay.”

Hyejeong placed a hand on her shoulder. “Seolhyun?”

Seolhyun’s heart thundered in response to her touch. “I’m fine.”

“You keep saying that.” Gaze flickered across her face. “You always say that.”

“I say it because there isn’t anything wrong with me!” Seolhyun swatted at her hand, but Hyejeong dropped her other one on her shoulder, effectively trapping Seolhyun in front of her. “There’s nothing wrong with me,” she said again, but much quieter. “I’m okay. Completely a hundred percent fine with everything. I’m not weak.”

Hyejeong opened , but she didn’t say anything. She just stared at Seolhyun and then her grip on her shoulders tightened. She knew she was lying.

Everything wasn’t fine.

Nightmares of those horrifying hours in Gimhae kept her up at night. Nearly everyone at school hated her. Out of all the Myxs, only Chanmi knew she was fated to be the second Elpis, and fated to complete Jimin as her stupid supernatural energy or something.

But when Hyejeong looked at her like she did now, she forgot about the world. She couldn’t read much of anything from Hyejeong’s expression, but her eyes… well, her eyes told her she wasn’t doing so great with the whole pretending ‘we-hadn’t-almost-hooked-up’ thing.  Maybe she imagined what would’ve happened if Yonghwa hadn’t interrupted?

The tension racked up several degrees and Seolhyun’s body warmed deliciously. These were the kind of moments she lived for. She wondered what Hyejeong would do if she stepped forward and closed the distance between them. If she tipped her head back, would she kiss her? Because she looked like she wanted to do it.

Please hold me, kiss me, and do all sorts of wonderful, forbidden things.

So Seolhyun stepped forward.

For a second, just as second, she thought Hyejeong seriously considered it.

Then the doors opened behind them, and Hyejeong dropped her hands. Seolhyun twisted around, wanting to punch whoever it was in the face.

Yonghwa’s bulky figure filled the door, dressed in his typical, all-black Linus attire. “I’m sorry to interrupt, but this cannot wait.”

Holy Persephone…

Yonghwa always had something important to tell Hyejeong. The last time he’d interrupted them had been two seconds after she’d given Hyejeong the green light to go all the way.

Yonghwa had the worst timing, ever.

He moved his body forward, voice loud and clear. “There’s been a Demon attack.”

Hyejeong tensed. “Where?”

“Here, at the Ephensy.”

***

Of course, thanks to Yonghwa, practice was officially cancelled.

“Go straight to your dorm, Seolhyun, and stay there,” Hyejeong said before leaving the training arena.

Seolhyun went to the cafeteria instead.

There was no way she was going to hang out in her dorm while there was a Demon breathing Alch in this building.

By the time she’d cut across the alley, the sky lurking from a window had darkened and turned ominous. She picked up her pace, because when the sky got this way, there were only two possibilities. First, September was hurricane season around this place, or two, it could just mean Jimin was pissed off somewhere nearby. Her moodiness had a startling effect on the weather, obviously.

In the cafeteria, everyone huddled together in little groups. Seolhyun grabbed an apple and a soda, noting there wasn’t a single Genuine except Jisoo in the dinner room. Even Jennie and Mina lately were absent in the squad meeting.

“Hey there.” Jisoo dropped her plate of pizza on the table.

“Why isn’t Jennie sitting here? And where’s Mina?”

Jisoo shrugged and several waves danced across her cheek, the only physical trait she and her sister shared. “Some of the Genuines are scared of you. They know we’re friends.”

“Mina’s scared of me? Since when? What did I do to her?”

“It’s not you personally. A lot of us are freaked out right now.” Jisoo gave a short laugh. “Besides, you should be nice to me.”

Seolhyun cracked a smile for her. “I’m always nice to you, Jisoo.”

“Yeah, but you need to be nicer. I’m losing a lot of cool points being seen talking to you.”

Seolhyun glared at her.

Jisoo grinned. Two faint dimples in her cheek appeared. “Not just you, but any Myx at this moment. We Genuines don’t trust a single one of you. Every Myx is suspect. We’re just waiting for one of you to jump on us and away our Alch.”

“Then why are you talking to me?”

“Have I ever cared for what the other Genuines think?” Her voice was loud enough for several of Myxs seated around them to hear. “But damn, I miss Jennie.”

Seolhyun rolled her eyes and then smiled. She squeezed into the seat between Chanmi and Lisa as they joined them.

Chanmi gulped her bottled water, before giving a fist bump at Jisoo and Seolhyun in turns. “You heard?”

“Yeah, I was practicing when Yonghwa came to get Hyejeong.” She glanced at Jisoo. “Do you have any details from Jennie?”

“Uh… All I’ve heard is one of the younger students, Youkyung, didn’t show up for classes today. Her friends were concerned and checked her dorm. They found her in bed, the window open.”

Seolhyun sat back, unease shifting through her. “Is she alive?”

Jisoo stabbed a fork into her pizza. “She was practically drained, but she’s alive. I don’t know how her roommate didn’t know, or why she wasn’t attacked, too.”

“How is a Demon running around here?” Lisa held up a hand, a puzzled frown on her face. “How could one get past the Guards?”

“It had to be a Myx.” Chanmi concluded.

“Myxs who’ve turned don’t change like the Genuines.” Jisoo flicked the fork between her fingers. “They’re immune to Titanium, right?” Her gaze landed on Seolhyun.

Seolhyun nodded. “Or Jimin could use her Elpis mojo. The Ether had done the job.

Chanmi rubbed a spot on Seolhyun’s arm where she knew she’d been tagged. Seolhyun forced a smile.

“If it’s a Myx, it could be anyone.” Lisa leaned back, folding her arms. “I mean, think about it. They don’t need elemental magic to conceal what they really look like. It could be anyone.”

“Well, it would have to be a Myx who’d been attacked by a Demon,” a throaty, husky voice intruded.”

Lifting her head, Seolhyun found Rose and Rowoon. “Yeah, that would make sense.” She kept her voice even.

Rose’s eyes settled on her. “How many Myxs do we know who’ve been attacked recently?”

Seolhyun stared at her, stuck between disbelief and wanting to throw something. “Knock it off, Rose. I don’t want to hear your crap today.”

She pulled those full lips into a knowing smile. “I know of two.”

Chanmi shot to her feet, knocking her chair over. “What are you trying to say?”

Two Guards by the door stepped forward, eyeing the situation with interest. Lisa grabbed Chanmi’s hand, but she ignored her.

Rose tossed her hair over her shoulder. “Chill out, Chan. You got tagged how many times? Two? Three? It takes a hell of a lot more to turn a Myx than that.” She looked at Seolhyun pointedly. “Isn’t that right?”

Seolhyun took a deep breath. There’d been a time when her heart had sort of bled for her after her parents had been murdered, but that seemed like ages ago. “I’m not a Demon, you .”

Rose tipped her head to the side. “If it looks like a Demon, then… Hmm, what would Helena have to say about her ungrateful daughter–”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter