let's have dinner

without you to hold i'd be freezing

A/N: I'll start with thanking you for reading and supporting this story, as always. I promised more chanbaek (this is a chanbaek story after all lol) so here you go. Please tell me how you like this chapter, I'm always happy to hear your opinions! 

If you have any question related to the story or just something you want to say to me, here's my TUMBLR

--

 

Chanyeol is so close to falling asleep on his work table with fingers still on his keyboard when Jongdae bursts into his office, completely unannounced and loud, which startles Chanyeol so much that the CEO jumps in his seat. The sleepiness he was feeling a while ago is completely gone due to the shock, and Chanyeol frowns at Jongdae deeply to let him know that he doesn’t appreciate him walking into Chanyeol’s office like that.

"What are you working on?“ Jongdae asks, completely ignoring the way Chanyeol is looking at him with daggers in his eyes. He sits down on Chanyeol’s couch, sprawling on it like a cat.

"Still on the stupid e-mail,“ comes Chanyeol’s grumpy reply as he averts his eyes from Jongdae and looks at the computer screen instead, sighing deeply.

There is a company that wants to work with them, asking for an ad for their newest product, but Chanyeol heard from his father that there are certain rumors about the company that can make a bad name for Park Advertising if they work together. The rumors say that the company has connections with a mafia, and Chanyeol doesn’t want to risk becoming a part of any underground business. Refusing the offer is hard though, because he has to think of a good way to reject them, meaning he can’t just write ‘I, in the name of the Park Advertising Company, can’t accept your offer because there are rumors about you working with mafia. Take care, bye‘. Chanyeol needs a good reason to reject them without insulting them, and he needs to think of it quickly.

"Actually, I have an idea about how to turn them down,“ Jongdae says proudly, looking at Chanyeol from behind his eye-lashes. "I saw in the news the other day that Sangwoo Group and Jong Group are on bad terms.“

"Yeah, I’ve read about it too,“ Chanyeol muses, sinking into his chair, giving Jongdae his full attention.

"We have really good relations with Jong Group. You know where I’m going with this?“ Jongdae trails off, giving Chanyeol a meaningful look. They stare at each other in silence for a few moments because there is no need to speak, Chanyeol understands Jongdae perfectly.

"Jongdae, you’re a genius!“ Chanyeol exclaims, jumping out of his chair excitedly and walking over to the couch where his friend is lying comfortably. There is no time for Jongdae to escape as Chanyeol falls on him with his giant body, crushing Jongdae’s smaller one with his weight. Desperately, Jongdae tries to push the CEO off, but it doesn’t help. The only option Jongdae has now is to accept the fact that he’s going to stay under Chanyeol like this for a while – that sounds weird, but okay – leaving Chanyeol to squeeze him in gratitude. Chanyeol has always been a very expressive person, and Jongdae got used to it thorough the years, so he doesn’t mind Chanyeol’s affection. Most of the time that is, because at the moment Jongdae’s sure he’s going to die soon from not being able to breathe.

"Should I invite you to lunch for helping me out?“ Chanyeol asks, the question coming out a little muffled because his head is buried in Jongdae’s neck.

"I can’t. I’m meeting up with Baek,“ Jongdae declines politely, patting the giant on the back to let him know that now he really can’t breath anymore, and that Chanyeol needs to get up already. Only a second later, Jongdae realizes he didn’t have to do that because after hearing Baekhyun’s name, Chanyeol lets go of him immediately.

"Baekhyun is here?“ well, this came out way too enthusiastic. Chanyeol scolds himself in his mind, clearing his throat and repeating the question with a more steady voice this time. Jongdae rolls his eyes at the CEO, sitting up as well.

"No, not yet,“ Jongdae deadpans and looks at his watch. "But he will be there in ten minutes tops, so I should go.“

The shorter of the two gets up and straightens up his suit, frowning at the wrinkles that are clearly here because of Chanyeol. After a few more attempts, Jongdae’s clothes are back to normal and he walks to the door with a simple see you later. His hand is already on the door handle when Chanyeol speaks.

"Can I go with you?“

"No,“ it takes Jongdae no more than a millisecond to answer. His friend’s sharp reply practically comes before Chanyeol can even finish his question, and the look Jongdae’s giving him is anything but friendly.

"Why not?“ Chanyeol whines.

"Why are you so obsessed with Baekhyun?“ Jongdae doesn’t answer, instead throws a question of his own at Chanyeol. Being friends for many years, Chanyeol knows that the tone Jongdae is using with him right now is dangerous, but he decides to ignore it.

"I’m not obsessed with him,“ Chanyeol denies, because he is most certainly not obsessed with the brunet. The word is too strong to describe the attraction Chanyeol feels toward Baekhyun. Chanyeol’s just interested in him, not obsessed. In his body, to be even more specific.

"If you’re not, then please explain why do you wait until his shift ends just to walk him home. I didn’t know you have so much free time on your hands,“ Jongdae puts his hands on his hips, raising eyebrows at the CEO, daring him to come up with a good answer. Chanyeol’s mouth opens a few times but he closes it without saying everything every single time, not knowing how to respond.  

"Did Baekhyun tell you?“ Chanyeol settles for in the end.

"No, Kyungsoo did,“ Jongdae answers. "I told you to leave him alone, but you completely ignored me.“

"Why are you so angry about it? It’s not like I’m hurting him in any way,“ Chanyeol folds his arms on his chest, copying Jongdae’s frown.  

"Baekhyun. Isn’t. Interested. I know you think that he’s a good lay, but – no offense to Baekhyun – there are pleny men like him out there. Find someone else to ,“ it comes out way harsher than Jongdae wanted, but he can’t take it back now, can he? Jongdae knows he’s right about this, and he can’t understand why Chanyeol is so persistent about getting Baekhyun. Jongdae loves Chanyeol, in a friendly way of course, and even though he didn’t like Chanyeol sleeping around in the past, he never mentioned it. He ignored it because he didn’t know the people Chanyeol’s been with, but Baekhyun is a very close friend of his, and he won’t let Chanyeol anywhere near him. Especially not when he knows that Baekhyun doesn’t want Chanyeol back.

"He’s different,“ is all Chanyeol manages to say.

"You don’t even know him, how can you say that? I get that he’s nice to look at, but I’m sure you can find a good-looking person you want to elsewhere. That is, if you would leave Baekhyun be,“ Jongdae is furious, Chanyeol knows. His over-protectiveness has kicked in, and Chanyeol doesn’t like to be on the receiving end of those angry eyes that are staring at him with so much intensity Chanyeol wants to run away. 

What Jongdae’s saying is true. There are plenty good-looking people who are willing to sleep with him, Chanyeol can’t deny that. But there’s just something about Baekhyun that is making Chanyeol want him more every time he gets turned down by the feisty brunet. Maybe it’s Baekhyun‘s sassy attitude, but Chanyeol knows that it’s also because he hates being rejected. Getting Baekhyun would mean that, in the end, Park Chanyeol can really get everything and everyone he wants. And he needs this kind of self-assurance. It’s selfish, and disgusting, but everybody has flaws, right?

"What if I want to get to know him?“ Chanyeol surprises not only Jongdae with this question, but himself too. The challenging side of Chanyeol takes over, and the words leave his mouth before he can think of anything better to say.

"You just want to get in his pants, but Baekhyun’s done with sleeping around, I told you that. And don’t you dare say that you want him for more than because Chanyeol, I know you. You can’t even stand thinking about being in a relationship, and I won’t let you screw one of my best friends over just because you can’t back down from a challenge,“ the tone of Jongdae’s voice is dangerously low and steady, and Chanyeol would be much happier if Jongdae screamed at him rather than talked to him with this kind of voice. If he was yelling, it would mean that he’s just saying things, since he’s angry. But when Jongdae’s voice is calm, Chanyeol knows that there is no room for argument because Jongdae’s words are thought over thousand times before they leave the shorter’s mouth. "Just–... Stop thinking about Baekhyun.“

"What if he personally tells me that–“

"Stop with these ‘what if‘s. Chanyeol, I know for sure that he won’t end up in your bed, no matter how hard you’ll try,“ it feels like there is a deeper meaning in Jongdae’s words, but Chanyeol can’t quite put a finger on it. Jongdae is too sure about saying that Chanyeol doesn’t have the smallest chance with Baekhyun, like there is no way Chanyeol can get him. It pisses Chanyeol off, but at the same time he desperately needs to know the reason behind Jongdae’s certainty.

"Then I’ll just be his friend, nothing more. Until Baekhyun himself doesn’t allow me to go further,“ Chanyeol just doesn’t know when to give up.

"He won’t. Knowing that you’re not going to get him and a friend is all you’re ever going to be to him, why do you still want to get to know him? Because if you think he’ll really fall for your charms if you spend time with him, you’re wrong.“

"He’s interesting. If I can’t get him to sleep with me, I want to try befriending him because I like his personality. Or are you implying that Baekhyun’s so uninteresting that people wouldn't want to be friends with him?“ this is truly getting nowhere. The only things Chanyeol is doing is digging his own grave, not even knowing anymore what he’s saying. It’s true that he has put a liking to Baekhyun’s personality, but if he’s close to him, Chanyeol simply won’t be able to hold himself back like he has said. The image of him being friend-zoned by Baekhyun in the future is something he doesn't like in the slightest.

"Stop talking nonsense. There is nothing wrong with people wanting to befriend Baekhyun, I know he’s amazing. But I know why you want to befriend him, and that’s why I am saying no,“ Chanyeol doesn’t like the word no, and he most certainly won’t accept this answer. What is Jongdae anyway? Baekhyun’s mother?

"Do you want me to promise that I won’t force him into anything? That if he doesn’t want me after we get to know each other, I’ll leave him alone?“ Chanyeol asks, and Jongdae just snorts. Everybody knows that once Chanyeol promises something, he won’t break the promise no matter what. He always keeps his word, no matter how hard it is sometimes.

"So you’ll act like his friend, and then when he turns you down again, you’ll just walk out of his life like the friendship you made was meaningless?“

"You know I didn’t mean it like that, Jongdae,“ Chanyeol deadpans.

"Whatever,“ Jongdae opens the door and before closing it, he turns to Chanyeol one more time. "Stay away from him, I mean it.“

And then he’s gone. Chanyeol wants to scream out of frustration, but it would shatter the last bits of his professional image his secretary-slash-personal asistent has on him, so Chanyeol pushes down the strong urge to yell. He has never thought that Jongdae‘s over-protectiveness, which Chanyeol always liked about his best friend, would stand in the way of getting what Chanyeol wants.

Maybe he should really just let Baekhyun go. Jongdae’s right – there are tons of people like him. The friendship Chanyeol has with Jongdae is strong, and he doesn’t want to lose a friend like Jongdae just because of some guy he only wants to .

Chanyeol returns to his notebook and pushes the thoughts of Baekhyun to the back of his mind, his work more important than the brunet. After Jongdae gave him the idea about turning the problematic company down with bringing up the bad relations between Sangwoo Group an Jong Group, the e-mail practically writes itself. Chanyeol’s been in the business long enough to know how to turn down a client without insulting them, politely declining the offer with practiced words.

After twenty five or so minutes the-email is written, an Chanyeol clicks send with a satisfied smile on his face. He thought it’ll be done sooner, but Chanyeol is a perfectionist, and even when he had it all written in ten minutes, he re-read it two times to make sure everything was flawless, changing a wording of some sentences when he thought it was too straight-forward or impolite.

It is lunch time already, and he always has lunch with Jongdae, but his friend ditched him for Baekhyun today, so he has to eat by himself. Maybe Chanyeol can eat with his other colleagues for a change and strengthen the good relations with his employees. Or he can go eat in his and Jongdae’s restaurant alone, but that’s not fun at all. The better option is to just order something and eat it in his office because he won’t have to walk all the way to the restaurant – Chanyeol doesn’t care that the walk to the restaurant takes two minutes tops – just to eat lunch alone, like he can do if he stays in his office.

In the end, Chanyeol decides that he’ll walk the long way to the restaurant which he always eats at and gets up from his chair, grabbing his long coat as he walks out of his office. As he makes his way to the elevator, he already thinks of what he’ll have today. Chanyeol isn’t in a mood to have anything in particular today, so whatever comes to his mind first will be good enough to satisfy his hunger.

The music is Chanyeol’s only company during the elevator ride, and he hums to the quiet melody to entertain himself until he gets to the ground floor. It’s rather boring without Jongdae, Chanyeol supposes. He already got too used that Jongdae’s always with him, and it’s so weird that now his best friend isn’t here to crack jokes about everything that can possibly be made fun of.

The moment Chanyeol steps out of the elevator, someone rushes past him and mutters a quiet sorry when they bump into each other. When Chanyeol turns to see the face of the person that knocked shoulders with him, he doesn’t expect to see Jongdae who is furiously pushing the button to an unknown floor. Jongdae probably doesn’t notice Chanyeol, being too focused on the elevator button, probably thinking that if he smashes the poor button, the elevator will move faster.

Chanyeol guesses that there is some kind of problem in financial departement, judging by the fact that Jongdae looks really stressed out and in a hurry. With a thought that he’ll ask Jongdae about it later, he starts walking toward the main door, but he stops right away when he realizes that if Jongdae has gone to deal with something important, Baekhyun must have been left alone.

Just go eat your lunch, Chanyeol tells himself. Jongdae clearly doesn’t want him around Baekhyun, an he will respect it. He’s a good friend, after all. The best.

Chanyeol takes another step toward the exit.

Leave the guy alone.

Another step.

He’s not worth it.

Chanyeol’s already entering the revolving door, just one tiny step and he’d be out of the building. It’s so easy.

He’s not anything special.

And yet he turns around and starts heading to the company cafeteria, telling himself that he’s just going to see if Baekhyun’s there. For all Chanyeol knows, Jongdae could run all the way back to work from some a restaurant down the street, and Baekhyun won’t even be here.

Looking through the glass door, Chanyeol finds the brunet sitting behind one of the tables for four people, the man staring into distance with a neutral expression, head resting on his hand. Now that he knows that Baekhyun is indeed here, Chanyeol should just walk away, right? If Baekhyun’s here or not, it shouldn’t have to concern Chanyeol in the first place. Why does he care so much, anyway?

Chanyeol watches Baekhyun from behind the door like a creep for a minute, noting how his small eyes close every once in a while. His head slips from his hand many times, but Baekhyun always comes back to his senses before his head can hit the table. The brunet looks extremely tired, and maybe that’s what gives Chanyeol the sudden idea to bring Baekhyun coffee from the coffee shop right across the street.

People give Chanyeol weird looks when he practically runs out of the building and makes his way to the coffee shop, impatiently tapping his foot against the wooden floor as he waits in the line with crossed arms and a frown on his face. After what seems like forever, the barista finally asks what he’ll order, and it’s just then that Chanyeol doesn’t know what kind of coffee Baekhyun likes. He hasn’t exactly have a chance to ask Baekhyun – or rather, he had a chance to ask him but spent it with hitting on the guy instead – and now Chanyeol must look like a fool when he’s just silently gaping at the barista like a fish.

Chanyeol gives the barista his own order first while he’s scanning the menu board above his head to decide what to order for Baekhyun. Not to be judging a person by their appearance, but Baekhyun looks like the type that has a sweet tooth, so he should get him something sweet.

"Anything else?“ the barista asks him with a professional smile as he places Chanyeol’s black coffee on the counter. Chanyeol’s eyes jump from one sweet drink to another, but he has always liked his coffee bitter, so he doesn’t know which of the drinks is the best.

"Uhm–... can you recommend me something that is sweet, but not too much?“ Chanyeol questions, feeling so stupid when the barista raises his eyebrows at him after hearing Chanyeol’s description of a drink that is sweet, but not too much. The barista doesn’t laugh at him or tell him to off, but surprisingly, he gives it some thought before answering.

"I personally like Caramel Mocha the best,“ the boy says after a while.

"I’ll take it. Large one,“ Chanyeol smiles at the barista who nods and turns around, disappearing to make the drink. The boy is back with a black marker in his right hand, grinning at Chanyeol while holding the large cup in his other hand.

"Judging by your expression, it’s for someone you like, right?“ the way Chanyeol’s eyes widen is enough to answer the barista’s question. "So, do you want me to write something on the cup?“

"J-Just... Just write for Baekhyun on it... No hearts or kisses, though!“ Chanyeol adds quickly. Baekhyun would probably throw the cup at him if he saw a single heart accompanying his name.

"That’ll be 9.500 won, please,“ the barista pushes both of the cups toward Chanyeol when he’s done with writing on Baekhyun’s cup and gives Chanyeol a cheeky grin.

"Take the change,“ Chanyeol says as he gives the boy 15.000 won, thanking the barista profusely as he takes the cups in his large hands. He would give the boy more since he was nice enough to help Chanyeol out, but Chanyeol’s in hurry and doesn’t have time for searching for his wallet that is in one of his coat pockets, and Chanyeol doesn’t know in which one.

Turning on his heel, Chanyeol quickly but carefully returns to the company building, taking long strides toward the cafeteria. He lets out a happy sigh when he sees Baekhyun still sitting behind the same table, Jongdae nowhere to be seen. His best friend would kick his if he saw Chanyeol making any kind of attempt to get close to Baekhyun.

As he opens the door to cafeteria with one leg, Chanyeol pushes the feeling of guilt that comes with not listening to Jongdae when his friend told him to leave Baekhyun alone to the back of his mind, clearing his throat as the distance between Chanyeol and Baekhyun gets smaller with every step Chanyeol takes.

Baekhyun doesn’t notice him until Chanyeol slips into a seat across from Baekhyun, smiling brightly at the shorter male and placing the Caramel Mocha in front of him while Baekhyun just stares at Chanyeol with confusion written all over his face.

"Did you actually follow me here?“ Baekhyun asks, shocked.

"I kind of own this company, you know,“ Chanyeol snorts and takes a sip of his coffee, letting out a content exhale as he feels the bitter drink on his tongue. He will never understand how someone can hate black coffee when it tastes like heaven.

"Oh, yeah.. Of course, I forgot,“ Baekhyun says quietly after a while, feeling stupid for forgetting something like this. When he was entering the building, there were large letters above the entrance that were spelling out Chanyeol's last name, and he still forgot about it. Chanyeol must think that Baekhyun’s the biggest idiot in the world now. Baekhyun hides his face in his hands from embarrassment, not wanting to face Chanyeol.

"It’s okay. You look really tired, so I’m not even surprised,“ Chanyeol gestures to Baekhyun’s coffee, not like the man can see it with his hands covering his face. And wow, Chanyeol thinks. Baekhyun has really nice hands. "Drink it, hopefully it’ll help you wake up.“

Baekhyun uncovers his face, his eyes falling on the large cup with his name on it. He tilts his head to the side while looking at it, and then shakes his head. "I don’t want it.“

"Why? Because I’m the one who bought it?“

"Yes,“ Baekhyun says straight-forwardly, and Chanyeol hopes that the disappointment doesn’t show on his face after hearing Baekhyun’s answer. "I don’t want to feel like I owe you something.“

"I don’t want anything in return. Just take it,“ Chanyeol pushes the cup even further towards Baekhyun. The brunet just observes the cup for a second and doesn’t reach out to take it, but when Chanyeol adds come on to his sentence, Baekhyun sighs defeatedly and slowly wraps his long, slender fingers around the hot cup. Chanyeol can just admire those hands from afar, reaching out and touching being definitely out of question.

"What is it, anyway?“ Baekhyun asks. He brings the cup to his nose, and after taking a sniff of the drink, his eyes close with content when the sweet scent hits his nose.

"Caramel Mocha,“ Chanyeol answers, hoping that Baekhyun will like the drink. His worries disappear in a second when he sees the small smile playing on Baekhyun’s lips, though.

"How did you know I love sweet things?“ Baekhyun his lips, and Chanyeol almost faints. He can just imagine what that mouth and tongue can do. "The same way you found out about when my shifts at the restaurant end? What a stalker.“

"I guessed... Took the first things I saw,“ Chanyeol lies, not wanting to reveal to Baekhyun how nervous he was while ordering the drink for him. The only person that will ever know about Chanyeol being all stressed out about ordering a stupid cup of coffee for the brunet is going to be the barista an Chanyeol himself, nobody else.

"Do you think that if you get me my favorite coffee, I’ll sleep with you?“ Baekhyun snorts, but his tone is light-hearted and doesn’t sound poisonous at all, not like the previous times Baekhyun talked to Chanyeol. It almost feels like Baekhyun is teasing him, not the other way around.

"That would be a nice bonus indeed, but I was actually just trying to be friendly,“ watching Baekhyun making heart eyes at the coffee cup he’s holding in his hands was definitely worth the trouble, and Chanyeol feels proud of himself for guessing right that Baekhyun has a sweet tooth.

"Thank you, then.“

"Am I dreaming, or is Byun Baekhyun really being nice to me for a change?“ Chanyeol asks with a smile, setting his coffee down on the table, careful not to put it on the papers Baekhyun has all over the table.

"Because you’re not being a jerk, for a change,“ Baekhyun bats his long eyelashes at Chanyeol innocently, like he thinks that if he does something cute, every insult that is thrown at the CEO will be over-shadowed by the attractive gesture. "And I’m not in the mood to argue with you today.“

"Too tired to come up with those smart remarks of yours?“ Chanyeol teases, an Baekhyun just rolls his eyes.

"Honestly, yes,“ Baekhyun says truthfully, closing his eyes and sighing before taking another small sip of the still hot coffee. At least the hot drink warms his hands while he’s waiting for it to cool down so he can take a large gulp of his favorite coffee and savour the taste without fearing that it’ll burn his tongue.

Chanyeol is quite surprised that Baekhyun’s answer was honest because he was already getting ready for the brunet’s feisty attitude to kick in.

"Been working too much these past days?“

"Not really, but a certain giant likes to drain all the energy that I have left after work when he tries to hit on me, thinking that I’ll give in after a few inappropriate comments,“ oh, here it is, the Byun Baekhyun as Chanyeol knows him. 

"I’m not a giant, you’re just tiny,“ Chanyeol says, chuckling. "How old were you when you stopped growing, anyway? Fifteen, or maybe sixteen? Please do tell.“

"Did you really just say that,“ Baekhyun frowns, trying to look unimpressed by Chanyeol’s joke, but the small smile that’s tugging on his lips dangerously is giving him away.

"I’m just curious.“

"One more joke about my height and I’m gonna murder you,“ Baekhyun warns him with narrowed eyes, daring Chanyeol to try him.

"I’ll become a ghost then and– oh, do you want to hear a pun about ghosts?“ Chanyeol asks suddenly, looking overly enthusiastic.

"No.“

"That’s the spirit!“

What Chanyeol doesn’t expect after he cracks a stupid joke like this is that Baekhyun puts his coffee down on the table and starts laughing whole-heartedly, his small eyes turning into crescents and head thrown back as he clutches his stomach. Chanyeol just stares at him with his mouth slightly open, not even blinking as he appreciates the beauty of Baekhyun’s amused face and the melodic, loud laugh. A few people in the cafeteria turn their heads at them, judging silently, but not saying a single word, and Chanyeol really doesn’t care.

"T-That was the lamest joke, oh my god!“ Baekhyun exclaims, the last bits of his laughter making it hard for him to speak properly.

"You look like you liked it, though,“ Chanyeol says confidently, trying to hide his embarrassment behind the cool exterior. If Baekhyun noticed how his grip on his coffee tightened, he doesn’t mention it.

"It was... truly refreshing,“ Baekhyun‘s smile can rival the Sun, really. Chanyeol simply can’t look away even if he wanted to. "People look at you and think of how charming you are, but you are just a giant dork. You almost fooled me too.“

"You think I’m charming?“

"I thought you are charming,“ Baekhyun says, his tone more serious now. Chanyeol heart drops. "But I kinda... like this side of you more.“

Baekhyun’s grin turns into a barely noticeable, shy smile and Chanyeol gulps loudly. He wants to look away and scream how ing cute the guy is, but he can’t. The cool image that Chanyeol presents to the world is already shattered in Baekhyun’s eyes, but maybe he can save the last bits of it if he just brings himself to stop acting like a teenage girl who is talking to her crush.

"So, you do like me?“ Chanyeol questions curiously. He is too eager to hear Baekhyun’s answer and his heart starts to beat just a little bit faster as the shorter male opens his mouth.

"I–“

"What are you doing here, Chanyeol?“ Jongdae’s voice interrupts their conversation, not letting Baekhyun finish his sentence. The CEO looks away from Baekhyun and makes eye contact with Jongdae who is smiling at him warmly, but Chanyeol knows that this kind of smile means I will ing kill you. Chanyeol gulps and bites his lower lip, thinking of what to say so it won’t anger Jongdae even more. Jongdae was being pretty clear when he said that he doesn’t want Chanyeol anywhere near Baekhyun, and he fears that no matter what he says, Jongdae will beat the life out of him either way.

"It’s alright, Jongdae. He was just keeping me company while you were gone,“ Baekhyun tries to save Chanyeol from Jongdae’s wrath, knowing very well what the seemingly warm smile means, too. He doesn’t even know why he feels the need to help Chanyeol out, since out of four encounters they have had, this is the only one Baekhyun doesn’t feel uncomfortable in the taller’s company. However, the coffee Chanyeol brought him is truly awesome, so maybe the guy deserves some credit.

"I was just leaving,“ Chanyeol stands up quickly, the chair screeching loudly when he pushes it back. When he collects his coffee and coat, the CEO walks past Jongdae, looking everywhere but at Jongdae.

"Of course you were,“ Jongdae mutters.

"Thanks for the coffee,“ Baekhyun’s voice catches his attention, an he stops in order to look at Baekhyun properly. "Bye, Chanyeol.“

"No probl–“

"Bye, Chanyeol,“ Jongdae says, and his tone is so cold and so unlike Jongdae.

Chanyeol just throws one last smile Baekhyun’s way and rushes out of the cafeteria, feeling Jongdae’s piercing gaze on his back. His friend is going to pay him a visit after Baekhyun’s gone for sure, and Chanyeol wants to fly off to Mexico and hide because even Chanyeol has a hard time dealing with angry Jongdae.

 

--

 

Baekhyun awkwardly sits beside Jongdae, tapping his fingers against the cup he’s clutching in his hands nervously while Jongdae‘s going through all the documents Baekhyun brought with him today. The silence between them is heavy, the tension lingering in the air and making Baekhyun feel rather uncomfortable. Since Chanyeol left, Jongdae hasn’t spoken to Baekhyun more than three sentences, and all of them were business related, so Baekhyun doesn’t count it as a conversation between them.

Jongdae had to leave for a while because there was some kind of problem, and as a head of the financial departement, he had to take care of it. Baekhyun wonders if Jongdae’s gone quiet because of that problem, or if Chanyeol keeping Baekhyun company while he was gone angered Jongdae so much that he chose to ignore Baekhyun. It’s understandable that Jongdae needs to concentrate on the task that is in front of him right now, but the guy usually doesn’t shut up even when he’s buried in work, so there must be something wrong with him.

"Is something wrong?“ Baekhyun decides to ask in the end, putting an end to his thoughts. Jongdae is right here, so instead of over-thinking everything in his head, it’s best to ask the man himself.

"No,“ is the answer, but it’s enough to let Baekhyun know that yes, there is indeed something wrong. Jongdae isn’t the type to answer with one word, and definitely not with this nonchalant tone. There is not any sign of smile on Jongdae’s face, making it clear that something’s troubling the man because Jongdae is pretty expressive, and if he was alright, he wouldn’t be frowning right now.

"Don’t lie to me,“ Baekhyun calls him out, hating it when someone tries to bull him and isn’t actually even trying to sound sincere. And on the top of that, Jongdae and Baekhyun are close friends, so Jongdae knows how much Baekhyun hates it.

"I’m trying to focus,“ the frown on Jongdae’s face deepens, and Baekhyun sighs. Jongdae is clearly trying to shut him down, using the work as an excuse. Baekhyun knows that Jongdae doesn’t need to focus so much on the documents because the man is so good with numbers and math that he could do it all with closed eyes if he wanted, since he’s only looking through Baekhyun’s paychecks. For someone as smart as Jongdae, it’s practically nothing compared to the work he’s doing for the company.

"Is it something I did? Is it becau–“

"Can you just leave it be?“ Jongdae interrupts Baekhyun harshly. „I’m sacrificing my lunchbreak for you, so let me work.“

Baekhyun is taken aback and kind of hurt too by Jongdae’s cold words, and he avers his eyes from the man, keeping them on his own hands instead. "I’m sorry.“

There is another wave of silence, but Baekhyun doesn’t dare to interrupt it this time. Jongdae has made himself clear, and Baekhyun is really grateful for his help, so he listens to his friend and sits quietly, not making a sound and leaving Jongdae to work in peace.

This goes on for at least five minutes, and Baekhyun is surprised when Jongdae is the first one to break the silence.

"I didn’t want to be mean to you, Baek,“ he says, putting down the neon marker and turning to Baekhyun. "You know I don’t mind helping you out, we’re friends after all. I’m just not feeling very well. I apologize for snapping at you.“

"You can tell me if there’s something on your mind,“ Baekhyun smiles encouragingly at his friend, already forgetting about how harsh Jongdae was just a few minutes ago.

From the look Jongdae gives him, Baekhyun can tell that Jongdae is thinking through if he should talk to Baekhyun about his troubles or not. In the end, after a long eye-contact between the two where Baekhyun tried to assure him that Jongdae can talk to him about everything with his eyes, Jongdae speaks up.

"Are you going to give in to Chanyeol, just like that?“ Jongdae asks, surprising Baekhyun with the question. It takes a while for the question to sink in, but when it does, Baekhyun’s brows furrow in confusion.

"What do you mean?“

"I heard from Kyungsoo that Chanyeol’s been bothering you a lot since Friday. He said that you aren’t exactly excited about getting the attention from Chanyeol, but today, when I saw you two talking, you didn’t seem like you don’t like his company,“ Jongdae explains slowly, his eyes never leaving Baekhyun as he tries to catch a glimpse of every emotion that crosses Baekhyun’s face. "So, my question is, are you going to–“

"No! Don’t even finish that sentence, I dare you, Kim Jongdae,“ Baekhyun interrupts him, hissing the words at Jongdae while pointing his index finger at his friend. He can’t believe that Jongdae would even think that Baekhyun would fall for Park Chanyeol’s charm that easily, given that Jongdae knows about his past.

"Don’t be mad, I just want to know for sure.“

"I don’t plan on sleeping with him, if that’s what you’re asking. Not now, not ever. It’s given that I don’t like his company when he’s hitting on me the whole time and has unnecessary comments, but he was actually nice today. And we weren’t talking for more than ten minutes before you came back. The only thing Chanyeol’s done was that he bought me coffee and told me a lame joke, that’s all. Just because I smiled at him doesn’t mean that I’m going to blow him next time,“ Baekhyun says, drinking the last bits of his coffee angrily. Even though he knows that Jongdae’s just asking and not implying anything, Baekhyun feels frustrated just by talking about this topic. Or talking about his love life.

"Today, he said that he wants to get to know you. I don’t like Chanyeol’s idea at all because I know his intentions, and you do too, so why would you go along with his plan? He’s just trying to get into your pants, Baekhyun,“ it isn’t that Jongdae wants to trash-talk Chanyeol while the CEO is not here, since they are more than just best friends – Chanyeol is practically his brother at this point – but Jongdae hates the image of Chanyeol playing with Baekhyun until he gets bored and leaves him for someone else, so the need to address this matter without sugar-coating it is the best option.

"Do you think I don’t know that? But I’m not going to jump into his bed just because he’s being nice after realizing that acting like a jerk isn’t going to make me spread my legs for him. I don’t want any more one night stands, buddies or boyfriends for two or three weeks tops, Jongdae. If Chanyeol wants to keep trying to get me, then he can. But no matter how hard he’ll try, a friend is all he’s ever going to be to me, okay?“ it’s so exhausting to explain things, Baekhyun thinks while trying to catch his breath because he said all of this so quickly in order to have it over with that he kind of forgot to keep his breathing steady.

"Okay,“ Jongdae nods, but when Baekhyun gives him a pointed look, Jongdae brings his hands up in surrender. "I mean it, I believe you. I know you can take care of yourself – just when it comes to this, you’re when your health condition is at stake – so deal with Chanyeol however you want.“

"I wonder how long he’ll keep trying,“ Baekhyun wonders out loud, leaning his head on his hand and looking in the distance.

Let’s see how long it will take you to give up, Park Chanyeol.

 

--

 

Baekhyun has lots of things on his mind.

Since Wednesday, he’s been thinking about the full-time job offer, and his head is about to burst any moment now. Jongdae said that financially, Baekhyun’s payment from both jobs is more than the payment he would have if he accepted to work full-time at the restaurant, but the differences aren’t big. The thing is Jongdae has only gone through the paychecks, and when Baekhyun’s working at the club, he’s getting a lot of tips. That means that if he counts in all the tips he usually gets per month, the difference will be big. Then again, Jongin, Kyungsoo and Jongdae ganged up on him, nagging him about the working hours being much better if he takes the offer. Baekhyun knows that his friends want the best for him, but he’s simply fine just like this. He already got used to the insane working hours, and he doesn’t mind them. Okay, he does, but as Baekhyun mentioned, he already got used to it.

And then, there’s Chanyeol. Since Thursday, he hasn’t seen the cocky CEO. Three days. After Chanyeol told Jongdae that he wants to get to know Baekhyun and befriend him, after acting all friendly and buying Baekhyun coffee without wanting anything back for it, after not hitting on him like crazy even though Baekhyun clearly isn’t interested, Baekhyun hasn’t heard a word from the Chanyeol. However, Baekhyun shouldn’t be surprised that there was no contact made between him and Chanyeol because he hasn’t had a shift in the restaurant since Thursday, and the only encounters Baekhyun has with Chanyeol are when Chanyeol waits for him after his shift at the restaurant ends. But then again, the er somehow managed to find out where Baekhyun’s working and when his shift end, so there should be no problem with getting Baekhyun’s phone number from somewhere, too.

The last thought was totally stupid, Baekhyun knows. Why would Chanyeol call or text him after getting Baekhyun’s number? Why should he get Baekhyun’s phone number in the first place? When Chanyeol said that he wants to befriend Baekhyun, he didn’t say that he wants to be best friends with him, having late night calls and texting with Baekhyun until one of them falls asleep. Why the hell does Baekhyun even spend his time thinking about why Chanyeol hasn’t contacted him? What is wrong with Baekhyun?

Baekhyun sighs, running his hand through his hair in frustration. His thoughts are so stupid. Looking at the big clock on the wall, the brunet feels relief wash over him when he sees that there is only twenty minutes left until his shift ends. Finally.

Today, surprisingly, Baekhyun’s co-workers weren’t bossing him around like usual, although they still made fun of him together, sniggering behind his back like teenage girls. Baekhyun can’t understand how immature they are, when they are supposed to be an example of good hyungs to younger people. Most of the time, Baekhyun feels like the men are just kids in big bodies.

"Baekhyun, number four,“ the cook says as he points at some soup with lots of vegetables, making Baekhyun lose his train of thoughts. The waiter nods and takes the soup in his hands, grabbing a set of chopsticks and spoon wrapped in a tissue and heads from the kitchen, his legs walking in the direction of the table number four, which is by the window. Behind the table, there is a middle-aged woman sitting with crossed legs, picking at her pink-painted nails while tapping her right food against the wooden floor. Bakehyun’s been working as a waiter for quite som time, and he can see a customer that means trouble when he sees one, and this woman right here is one of them.

"Your soup, ma’am. In the name of the restaurant, I hope you’ll enjoy it,“ Baekhyun says the perfectly practiced lines he’s been repeating for years now and puts the soup along with the cutlery set in front of the woman, giving her a polite smile. "Is there something else I can get you?“

"No, you can go,“ she dismisses Baekhyun with harsh voice, waving him off like a dog. Baekhyun is already killing the woman thousand different ways as he bows, the forced smile resting on his lips until he turns around to leave.

"Wait,“ at the voice, Baekhyun turns around, the fake smile returning to his face. "How many calories does this have?“

What the hell? Baekhyun thinks before he speaks, "I’m sorry, but I don’t know, madam.“

"How come you don’t know it when you work here?“ the woman asks with a deep frown. Without being cocky, Baekhyun is one of the best waiters in this restaurant, always knowing what to recommend when people ask about what should they get, always nice to customers. He knows every single food and drink they sell in this restaurant, he knows how much everything costs, what allergens does the food have, but forgive him, he doesn’t know how many calories does the food have.

"I can look into the menu–“

"There is no need. If I should wait for you to come back with the information, the food would already get cold, seeing how long it took you to bring it to me in the first place,“ she snorts, and Baekhyun has to hold back so much in order to not jump her right now and throw the food in her face. The look she’s giving him is without any doubt saying that she is so much more than Baekhyun, as if their social differences weren’t already clear with the expensive clothes and jewelry the woman has.

"I’m truly sorry, madam,“ he bows one more time before walking away, hiding his anger under the thousands layers of profesionality he has gain thorough the years, accompanied by a few insults coming from the woman’s mouth. He could care less about the insults thrown at him, what angers him is that Baekhyun certainly isn’t the first person the woman was awful to, and he isn’t the last one, either. Baekhyun is sure that at least ninety percent of the people that have the pleasure to meet the woman don’t deserve in the slightest, and Baekhyun pities the poor human beings that have to work with her.

His gaze falls on the clock, and Baekhyun smiles victoriously when he sees that it’s already seven in the afternoon and one minute. His shift just officially ended, so one of his co-workers  will have to interact with the annoying woman instead of Baekhyun, who is now freed from work. As he makes his way to the staff room, Baekhyun tells one of the waiters that they have to decide among themselves which one will serve table number four now that Baekhyun’s shift is over, satisfaction bubbling in his stomach when he sees the horrified expression on his co-worker’s face.

At his locker, Baekhyun strips off his white button up and folds it nicely, putting it in the locker carefully so there won’t be any wrinkles tomorrow. Then, he puts on a simple black sweater and takes his winter jacket from hanger, putting it on too before closing the locker and heading toward the door. When Baekhyun was leaving for work today, it was so cold that he decided to wear his winter jacket instead of the thin jacket he usually wears to work because he can’t risk getting cold and having to take a day – or more – off. His friends can say all they want about Baekhyun not being able to take care of himself, but Baekhyun thinks that he cares for his health just enough – take the winter jacket that he decided to wear today so his body can stay warm in this cold weather, for one. See? Baekhyun can take care of his health just fine.

On the way out, Baekhyun greets the kitchen staff as always, but doesn’t spare his awful co-workers one glance as he’s walking out of the restaurant. He opens the entrance door with a smile on his face, though he’s still kind of bitter about the female customer that seemed to lack manners when talking to Baekhyun while he was serving her.

Baekhyun would never admit it out loud, but his heart clenches just a little bit when Chanyeol isn’t waiting for him outside the restaurant. For whatever reason, Baekhyun was expecting Chanyeol to be leaning against the railing with that cocky smile of his like every other day, but the CEO is nowhere to be seen.

That’s good, Baekhyun tells himself, trying to convince himself that he doesn’t feel the slightest bit disappointed that Chanyeol isn’t here. He doesn’t even why he feels this way because this is what he wanted, right? It was him who told Chanyeol to stop following him around, Baekhyun should feel happy that the man finally got the hint and decided to leave Baekhyun alone, right?

So what is this feeling? Baekhyun frowns at his own thoughts and starts walking home with small but fast steps, getting angry for feeling this way.

Why did he expect Chanyeol to be here? Why is he having these negative feelings instead of being happy that he got the message through Chanyeol’s thick skull? Why, why, why–

"Hey, Baekhyun! Wait!“ Baekhyun knows this voice. Not too well, but it still sounds more familiar than it should. He thinks that the voice calling to him is Chanyeol’s but he can’t be sure, it’s probably just him being delusional again. Why would Chanyeol be here, anyway? His legs stop moving though, and Baekhyun turns around slowly, his heart beating strongly against his rib cage.

"Sorry, I’m late,“ Chanyeol says breathlessly as he catches up with Baekhyun, greeting Baekhyun with a grin. Baekhyun doesn’t want to stare, he really doesn’t, but he is too taken aback by Chanyeol showing up and apologizing for being late, and so Baekhyun just holds Chanyeol’s gaze without a word for a while, trying to gather his thoughts.

He feels weird. Baekhyun can’t seem to find the exact word to describe the feelings he has right now, but weird is the closest thing he can think of right now. The painful feeling in his insides is gone and is replaced by something warm, and it’s spreading to all parts of Baekhyun’s body. He isn’t even cold anymore.

What is this?

"Why are you apologizing? I don’t remember that we have an agreement where you wait for me after work, or something. I don’t even know why you’re here, to be honest,“ Baekhyun says, confused. The part about Baekhyun actually feeling some kind of relief that Chanyeol is here is left out because he can’t just admit something like that, can he? Not when he doesn’t understand why he feels relieved in the first place.

"Oh, come on, don’t you feel delighted by my presence?“ Chanyeol teases, his eyes sparkling as he looks down at the shorter man. The look he’s giving Baekhyun makes him think that Chanyeol somehow knows about the strange mix of feelings inside of him, but there is just no way... right? Chanyeol can’t know. They don’t know each other, so Chanyeol can’t simply read Baekhyun like Jongin, Kyungsoo, or Jongin can.

So why these eyes look like they are seeing straight to Baekhyun’s soul?

"Not really,“ Baekhyun mutters, knowing that the words that came out of his mouth are false. Turning around once again, Baekhyun starts walking towards his home again, inhaling and exhaling deeply. He feels hot. His face feels like it’s on fire, but Baekhyun ignores it.

"I thought you’d be nicer to me after our bonding time the other day,“ of course Chanyeol wouldn’t let Baekhyun get away that easily after coming to pick him up. Doesn’t being a CEO mean that Chanyeol has tons of important things to do? How come that Chanyeol has time to wait for him and walk him home? "Should I tell you another bad joke for you to warm up to me?“

"God, please no,“ Baekhyun chuckles, remembering the awful pun Chanyeol said before.

"You can pretend all you want, but I know you liked it,“ it’s here again, that stupid word. Know. How can Chanyeol know, for ’s sake? Is he just saying it, or is he able to read Baekhyun so easily after all? Baekhyun is going crazy.

"A little,“ Baekhyun says quietly, his voice barely audible.

"What’s with the frown, anyway?“ Chanyeol asks and gesturing to Baekhyun’s knitted eyebrows with his hand. Baekhyun blinks at that, surprised. Is he frowning? He thought that his face is neutral, when did he start frowning?

Baekhyun thinks that his brows furrowed around the time he started thinking about Chanyeol, since Baekhyun has a bad habit of frowning when he’s thinking too hard about something.

"Rough day,“ comes Baekhyun’s answer after a beat of silence. He has had a rough day, true, but he certainly isn’t frowning because of that. It’s half-true, but Chanyeol doesn’t need to know that.

"Oh,“ is all the giant says, nodding his head in understanding. For another few seconds, both of them aren’t saying anything, simply walking side by side with hands in their pockets. Baekhyun focuses on the road, feeling nervous all of sudden. The lack of sleep is probably getting to him because this isn’t like Baekhyun at all – Baekhyun doesn’t feel nervous just because of small things, it takes a lot to make Baekhyun nervous like this. So what is this? Yeah, he probably just feels tired and that’s why he feels like a girl on her period, his emotions changing every five seconds. "Have dinner with me, then.“

"What? No,“ Baekhyun declines immediately, but his eyes are blown wide and the shock that came with Chanyeol’s sudden invitation to dinner is written all over his face, Baekhyun's unable to hide it. Chanyeol just laughs quietly.

"Why not? It’s just a dinner.“

"I already told you that–“

"That you won’t sleep with me, and that you’re not interested, I remember. But I mean it, it’ll be just a dinner. Between friends,“ Chanyeol interrupts Baekhyun, not leaving him to finish his sentence.

The brunet narrows his eyes at Chanyeol, "We’re not friends, though.“

"We can change that,“ the CEO says in a millisecond. "By having that dinner.“

"No,“ Baekhyun shakes his head so Chanyeol can see that he’s already made the decision, and that he’s not going to change his mind about this.

A friendly dinner, my , Baekhyun thinks. Chanyeol’s intentions have been clear from the beginning. Even the first time the two of them met, when they bumped into each other and Chanyeol’s coffee ended up on Baekhyun’s button up, Chanyeol eyed Baekhyun’s body with those hungry eyes, though it was just for two or three seconds.

 

There is nothing friendy about anything Chanyeol does.

 

„I’m saying the truth! Just a friendly dinner, Baekhyun. I‘ve wanted to pay for your food, since I’m the one who’s inviting you in the first place, but if you feel like me paying for both of us is too much, you can pay for your meal yourself. That way you won‘t feel like it’s a date or something, alright?“ Chanyeol pushes, but Baekhyun still says no in the end. Even hearing the word date is making Baekhyun shiver uncounciously, and this fact itself is sygnalizing that this dinner is a bad idea. "Have you had dinner yet? I bet the last meal you had was lunch.“

"It doesn’t matter,“ Baekhyun answers sharply when Chanyeol hits too close to home. Truth be told, lunch was the only meal he’s had today because he over-slept and didn’t have time for breakfast. And then, during his shift, Baekhyun didn’t really feel hungry enough to go to kitchen and ask them for something small.

"I know a good restaurant not far away from here. Stop being so stubborn.“

"I said no,“ Baekhyun deadpans, even though Chanyeol is slowly but surely breaking his walls.

"I promise I won’t try anything.“

"No.“

"If I hit on you, you can just leave.“

"It’s still a no.“

"I’ll tell you more jokes.“

"That certainly didn’t help you just now.“

"Baekhyun, come on,“ Chanyeol says and stops in front of Baekhyun, making the shorter man stop too so he won’t bump into the CEO. When he looks up at Chanyeol, their eyes lock and for a while they just stand here and intensely stare into each other’s eyes. Some people look at them strangely, but Baekhyun doesn’t care and continues looking into the depths of Chanyeol’s brown orbs, looking for the sign that Chanyeol is lying and that the man will jump him in the following hours even though he promised not to try anything.

"I promise,“ Chanyeol whispers, knowing where Baekhyun’s worries lie. It’s not like he doesn’t want to jump Baekhyun, for example right now, not caring if people are watching, but he also knows that Baekhyun won’t say yes to him just like that – he was able to come to this realization after chasing after Baekhyun for days, without getting lucky. If Chanyeol wants to try to get Baekhyun to sleep with him, he will have to make Baekhyun trust him first. If it doesn’t work out in the end, than it’s okay – Chanyeol’s ego will be hurt, but it will still be okay – but he has to at least try.

"Fine.“