denial?

without you to hold i'd be freezing

A/N: Hello! Sorry for posting Saturday instead of Friday but you know, the school year ended and i really wanted to celebrate, and since i didn't feel satisfied with the chapter yesterday, i didn't want to post it until i am at least 80% okay with the content haha. so yeah, here it is. feel free to critize, since even after chancing some parts and such, i am still not satisfied with it. 

thanky you for your support so much, it means a lot to me! i even got a private message on tumblr, the person saying that they binge-read this fanfic and it made me so happy!! you can't a even believe how much this means to me really, im not able to put my gratitude in words. 

also, i was giving a thought to how many chapters are left, and there are around 8 chapters until the end, maybe more maybe less. i'll hope you enjoy the ride!

Just a small note, some people are afraid that i will include an arranged marriage for chanyeol, and to those who are worried about that, PLEASE DO NOT. there will NOT be an arranged marriage in this fic. 

btw i said i will post a oneshot this week but my writer's block had other ideas so just expect it next week

 

--

Things change after Chanyeol's birthday party. 

The morning after the party is really awkward because Baekhyun feels extremely embarrassed about everything that happened the day before, but Chanyeol's stupid jokes and hotel breakfast makes him think of other things, positive things. Baekhyun is really afraid that someone will take pictures of them leaving the hotel together in the morning, but even three days after Chanyeol's party, there was it a single photograph leaked. He asks Chanyeol about it, but the taller just says it must be a miracle that nobody leaked any photos and that Baekhyun shouldn't worry about it. So Baekhyun doesn't, leaving his worries behind for once, believing Chanyeol.

Since Baekhyun started working full-time at the restaurant and quit his job in the nightclub, his schedule is clear everyday after four during the work days, and he is completely free during the weekends. He has never had so much free time and he doesn't know what to do with it at all, and for a week Baekhyun just enjoys the luxury of being able to relax, but then it gets boring. Baekhyun has been working for years without having time for himself, and as sad as it is, he has gotten used to it. That's why he calls his boss on Sunday evening, telling her that if needed, Baekhyun is willing to take a shift in Twenty on Saturday or Sunday. He has told his friends about his decision too, and while he got scolded at first, his friends accepted Baekhyun's weird need to be productive, or whatever.

On some days when Chanyeol has free time, they hang out together, either walking through the streets of Seoul mindlessly with fast-food in their hands or watching random things on television at Baekhyun's. However, they both prefer spending time in Baekhyun's flat a little bit more, since there is nobody but them, not a single person who could snap a picture of them which would eventually found a way to the celebrity news, creating more and more rumors. 

Spending time with Chanyeol is... nice. Baekhyun can't describe what he feels in exact words, the emotions changing constantly, but what he knows is that he feels alive while being with Chanyeol. He doesn't know if it's because it's been a long time since the brunet actually tried to get to know someone, or if it's just because Chanyeol is such a great company. Maybe it's a mix of both? Baekhyun tries to think less about these things and enjoy the time he gets to spend with Chanyeol instead, knowing that their time is limited, since Chanyeol - being the CEO - doesn't have much free time. Baekhyun wants to make the best of it, even though lying in bed and watching stupid reality shows while eating take-out wouldn't rank in the best quality evenings. However, it's enough for Baekhyun, and the brunet hopes that Chanyeol shares his opinion. 

When together, time really flies. Although they aren't doing anything very exciting, Baekhyun feels too good in Chanyeol's company and he mostly doesn't even realize how many hours has passed until Chanyeol tells the brunet he needs to go home. Baekhyun doesn't even really remember what they've been doing the whole time - aside from bickering about the same things time and time again - and when he has to walk Chanyeol to the door and bid him a farewell, Baekhyun doesn't feel like letting Chanyeol go. It's weird, the way his mood drops instantly when Chanyeol tells him he needs to go home already, but Baekhyun tries not to pay attention to it. 

Aside from, having to deal with a few paparazzi here and there - the situation handled by Chanyeol hundred percent of the time while Baekhyun just stand a few steps away and watches how Chanyeol deletes the photos if the caught the paparazzi - their friends are annoying them a lot, always asking either Chanyeol or Baekhyun about their friendship. The word friendship is always uttered strangely and Baekhyun isn't stupid enough to not understand what are they implying. He doesn't know about Chanyeol, since the two of them don't talk about this at all, but Baekhyun usually shuts his friends down, not allowing them to elaborate their theories more and then present them to Baekhyun. 

The thing is, Baekhyun would be bad for Chanyeol, and he knows it. Baekhyun is like a poison that starts working with a delay, and if the two of them were to date, Chanyeol would end up broken, like all of Baekhyun's previous boyfriends. Yes, he knows that Chanyeol is so much different from them, but Baekhyun is still the same. And he really likes Chanyeol, so he would like to keep him as a friend, because as long as they are friends nothing can go horrible wrong, right? 

all that crap, actually. The truth is, Baekhyun is a coward. He is afraid of developing feelings for someone because it leaves him bare to that person, and Baekhyun is so afraid of being broken completely that he won't allow himself fall for anyone, not even for Chanyeol. Especially not for Chanyeol. He doesn't want to be broken into shreds by the person who is gluing his fragile heart back together. 

So, he ignores all of his friends telling him that they would look good together with Chanyeol, and simply because he is too scared to fall in love. He has never loved a single person in his life romantically, but it's not only because he couldn't. Eventually, he didn't even want to. Yes, deep down, he didn't want to fall in love, still doesn't want to and though his insecurities are slowly disappearing thanks to Chanyeol, he is not ready to open his heart in that way. 

And since Chanyeol has never been in love either, he doesn't deserve to have a ty excuse of a first relationship with someone like Baekhyun. With that in mind, Baekhyun tries not to think about how it would be like to have a relationship with Chanyeol.

Sometimes it's hard, though. When he is lying in his bed with Chanyeol commenting the movie or reality show they watch while being so close that Chanyeol's breath ghosts over his skin, for example. During situations like this one, Baekhyun has to make himself stop thinking about him possibly feeling something for Park Chanyeol because Baekhyun refuses to think about it. He is dead set on not wandering to these thoughts and he is going to stay loyal to what he thinks is for the best. 

He pushes the blooming feelings away, knowing it's wrong, but trying to convince himself that it's right. 

 

--

 

Baekhyun is woken up by his phone's ringtone, his beautiful dream slowly disappearing and changing into nothing. The brunet groans but doesn't bother opening his eyes, thinking that if he just rolls to the other side and ignores the caller, the person will just give up and he can go back to his lost dream. However, that doesn't happen, since the person calls another three times, and by then Baekhyun's dream is already forgotten, his mind clouded with annoyance instead. 

Begrudgingly, Baekhyun starts searching for his phone under the pillow - he got used to having it there because of Chanyeol and his constant whining about how unpractical it is to go through the whole room to get the device - and with still closed eyes, he picks up and murmurs a yes?  laced with frustration. He got a day off of work for god's sake, and someone dares to interrupt his sleep this early? It's a given that he won't be nice to that person. 

"Baekhyun, I need you to do me a favor," Kyungsoo, Baekhyun recognizes the voice immediately, and his anger dies down a little. Kyungsoo knows how precious sleep is for Baekhyun, and he wouldn't dare call him this early to just ask if he doesn't want to hang out later - that's Jongin's job. 

"Did something happen?" Baekhyun asks, worried. His eyes are now finally open, and he changes his position from lying to sitting as he waits for Kyungsoo's answer.

"No, uhm... Listen," Kyungsoo starts, taking a deep breath before explaining the situation. Beating around the bush has never been the cook's style, for which Baekhyun is really thankful becaus it saves time. "You know that my cousin is staying with me, right? The thing is, Jongin wants to go out for a while tonight and I can't leave Minho alone. I wouldn't ask you to do this but... it's been some time since Jongin and me spend time together."

Baekhyun understands completely. 

After Sehun and Jongin started working for Luhan as back-up dancers, the duo would have practise for hours, and then they would even stay at the studio to practise some more, perfecting their moves. There is nothing wrong about that, no, but Baekhyun thinks that Jongin kind of doesn't fully realize that unlike Sehun, he has a boyfriend waiting for him at home. And even when Jongin doesn't stay late for practise, every day he comes home really tired, going to shower and then to bed immediately. Jongin doesn't say to Kyunsoo more than a few words during the whole day, goodmorning and goodnight counted in. 

At least that's what Kyungsoo told Baekhyun. He looked extremely sad about it, and Baekhyun can just imagine how hard it is for him. Baekhyun is alone in his flat too, but it's different because Kyungsoo has been living with his boyfriend for about seven months now, and unlike Baekhyun, the cook is most likely not used to feeling lonely, and therefore he must feel the absence of Jongin too stongly. 

"I'll take care of him for you, just tell me when," Baekyun answers with a gentle voice. Minho knows Baekhyun from the previous times when the brunet had taken care of him when Kyungsoo and Jongin couldn't, so it's not like they will see each other for the first time. Baekhyun actually likes Minho, although the boy is rather shy and doesn't talk much.

"Around five?" Kyungsoo offers, and Baekhyun nods. Then, he realizes that Kyungsoo can't see him and the brunet agress verbally too. "Thanks Baekhyun, really. I can't say how grateful I am right now-"

"Actually you can," Baekhyun interrupts him. "I would like it if you baked me that chocolate cake."

"Deal," Kyungsoo says, and Baekhyun can hear the smile in his voice. Jongin and Kyungsoo finally get to spend some time together, and it's thanks to Baekhyun. It makes him feel good, being able to help his friends.

"Should I pick him up?" Baekhyun asks, his eyelids heavy as he sinks deeper into the bed. He was really worried that something bad happened when Kyungsoo called, but now when he knows it's nothing serious, Baekhyun lets himself relax and enjoy the warmness of his bed.

"No, I'll bring him," Kyungsoo says.

"Fine."

"Thanks, Baekhyun," Kyungsoo says and with a goodbye, the cook hangs up. Baekhyun can just imagine how happy Kyungsoo is right now, beaming at the thought of spending the evening with his boyfriend.

It doesn't take long for Baekhyun to fall asleep again. After all, it's only six in the morning and Baekhyun doesn't plan on waking up at this ungodly hour when he has a day off.

 

--

 

It's around two and Baekhyun is eating his lunch in bed, watching a music channel because he doesn't feel like paying his whole attention to a movie. Actually, he's just woken up maybe half an hour ago, enjoying the warm bed as long as he could. Sleeping feels so much better when a person doesn't have to wake up the next morning and can just sleep until they are not sleepy anymore. In Baekhyun's case though, it's quite different. He might have slept for a long time, yet he still feels a little tired. 

Since he's awake, Baekhyun has been thinking about what he should do with Minho today. It would be enough fot the little boy if Baekhyun simply left him in front of the television, but Baekhyun doesn't want to do that. What else could they do in Baekhyun's flat? Should he take Minho out then? That's a good idea, Baekhyun praises himself, thinking that they will need to have dinner and what Baekhyun's got at home is... laughable. 

Just as he's putting another fry in his - already quite full - mouth, his phone rings, and Baekhyun eats what's in his mouth quickly, grabbing his phone and looking at the screen. The caller ID's telling Baekhyun that it's Chanyeol who is calling, and Baekhyun suddenly feels a bunch of emotions upon seeing the name. He feels a little bit nervous as always when Chanyeol calls him, but he is also happy that Chanyeol is calling him, among other things. 

His mouth forming a grin, Baekhyun picks up. "Hey," he says, voice cheerful. 

"What are you doing today?" Chanyeol asks, not even bothering to say hi back. Baekhyun doesn't know how he should feel about reaching this point of familiarity between them already, but he isn't protesting. It makes their friendship more real, at least it is like that for Baekhyun. "Let's go somewhere."

"I can't," it literally pains Baekhyun to refuse Chanyeol's invitation, and he tells himself that it's only because they haven't seen each other three days already because Chanyeol got so much work to do that he couldn't just waste time with Baekhyun.

Actually, Chanyeol wanted to do exactly that, saying it would be just a quick break and that Baekhyun's company would make him happy, but the brunet turned him down. He couldn't let Chanyeol slack off, and he knew that it wouldn't be just a quick break, so there was really no other choice than to say no to him. 

And now, he has to say no to him even though Chanyeol's done with work - because Baekhyun told him he can only ask for a meet-up if his work is done. 

"Why?" Chanyeol whines, his voice sad. It saddens Baekhyun too.

"I'm looking after Kyungsoo's cousin today," Baekhyun explains, playing with the fry in his hand. Then, he adds, "Sorry, really."

The brunet can hear Chanyeol sigh at the other end of the line, and his heart clenches painfully. He wouldn't take back his promise to take care of Minho today, since Kyungsoo is one of his closest friends and he wouldn't take the chance of them having some alone time away from neither Jongin or Kyungsoo, but he really, really wants to hang out with Chanyeol. 

"Can't I-.. uhm, I don't know, but," Chanyeol lets out a frustrated groan, and Baekhyun can imagine the other male running a hand through his hair. Chanyeol always does that when he's frustrated or angry. "Can I tag along?"

The question that Chanyeol manages to get out of himself takes the brunet aback, Baekhyun not expecting this in the slightest. He doesn't even know why he is so surprised by Chanyeol's question, since Jongdae mentioned that Chanyeol is good with kids some time before. Maybe it's because Baekhyun didn't expect Chanyeol to hang out with him so much that he would share Baekhyun's company with a kid? Chanyeol doesn't even know what kind of kid Minho is, and yet he asks to tag along? 

However, it's not like Baekhyun doesn't want Chanyeol to accompany him today, and after a was of thoughts in his head, Baekhyun answers, "If you want to, then yes," he congratulates himself when his voice sounds normal, since he expected it to come out shaky.

"I do!" Chanyeol says almost immediately, and then clear his throat audibly, which makes Baekhyun laugh. Chanyeol usually blurts out his thoughts and then he's embarrassed about them, but hearing it through mobile isn't as good as seeing it in real life. The way Chanyeol averts his eyes from Baekhyun, clearing his throat and then repeating the same thing in calm manner or chancing the sentence so it wouldn't sound too enthusiastic - Baekhyun really likes it. "I mean, yes, that would be great."

Baekhyun laughs, expecting it. "Come whenever." 

"Should we go out? Eat somewhere?" Baekhyun chuckles when Chanyeol voices his thoughts from just a while ago, his heart fluttering when he realizes that Chanyeol and him think of the same things more often than not. Guess Baekhyun really found his match, as Jongin put it. 

Baekhyun is glad that Chanyeol wants to go out but, "What about your followers, though?"

Paparazzi appear here and there when Baekhyun and Chanyeol are out, but aside from spreading rumors about Chanyeol dating Baekhyun, there is nothing written in the internet articles about CEO Park Chanyeol. However, that could chance if someone takes a photo of them with a kid in tow. Baekhyun can just imagine the headlines and articles discussing it. He doesn't want that, and Chanyeol probably doesn't either.

"Then," Chanyeol pauses, probably giving some more thought to what he wants to say. Baekhyun waits patiently. "Do you want to come over with Kyungsoo's cousin?"

"Are you sure about that?" Baekhyun would like to accept, he really would, but nothing is that simple. "What about your parents?"

Chanyeol has told Baekhyun about his parents, or more specifically about his father, not exactly enjoying seeing their successful son hanging around with Baekhyun and creating rumors about the two of them dating. At that time, when the CEO told him about it, Baekhyun felt like a burden and actually wanted to stop spending time with Chanyeol because he thought it would be for the best, but his plan to avoid Chanyeol crashed very soon, since Chanyeol could tell what was on his mind and talked him out of it. 

But still, Baekhyun can't shake off the feeling of being a cause of one of Chanyeol's problems. 

"My parents are out of town until Friday," Chanyeol says.

"That doesn't mean they won't be angry when they find out I was-"

"Baekhyun," when Chanyeol says his name like that, his tone all deep and husky, it always makes Baekhyun shut up. There is just something so different about the way Chanyeol pronounces his name, and Baekhyun can't deny that he is kind of whipped. In a friendly way. "It's okay. My mother doesn't care, and father would scold me for every little thing, so it's not like you being here again is such a scandal."

"Me with a kid," Baekhyun reminds the other one of Minho. It's true that Baekhyun's been spending quite some time at Chanyeol's when his parents were out of town - which was a lot - but this time it's different. This time it's not only Chanyeol and Baekhyun. They will have to take care of an eight year old child. What would Chanyeol's father say if he discovered that there was a kid too, as if Baekhyun alone wasn't enough already?

"Is it yours?" 

"What? No."

"Then I don't see why my parents would be freaking out. It's just you being a good person and taking care of your friend's cousin," Chanyeol protests, and Baekhyun knows that it's already set. It's usually like that - if Baekhyun doesn't have good enough arguments about why it's not a good idea then they will go with Chanyeol's plan. Baekhyun doesn't mind, strangely. 

"Really, Chanyeol," Baekhyun sighs , closing his eyes as he rests the back of his head on the wall behind him. Is it really a good idea? Chnayeol might be sure that he won't get in trouble for this but Baekhyun is not. 

"Really, Baekhyun," Chanyeol imitates Baekhyun and even gets the exasperated voice right, and Baekhyun can't help but chuckle. What a child, Baekhyun thinks with a grin. "We will order food and we can play some board games as well. Come on?"

Sighing once again in defeat, Baekhyun agrees. "Do you want us to sleepover too?"

"Of course," it comes immediately and Baekhyun truly can't stop smiling. Chanyeol is too good to be true. He just hopes that Minho will like the CEO, even though Chanyeol is a very likable person - if he doesn't pretend to be all cool and jerk-y. Baekhyun still doesn't get why Chanyeol behaved like a total the first time they met - and the following few times as well - since Chanyeol's personality is really good. He wouldn't call it perfect, since Chanyeol - like everybody - has flaws, but Baekhyun can't seem to mind so much. 

"When should I pick you up?" this sentence again. Chanyeol asks him the same question every single time when they plan to go out, and honestly, it does weird things to Baekhyun's heart that he can't explain.

"Be here before five," Baekhyun answers, acting totally unaffected as if his feelings weren't a mess because of this man. 

"Deal!"

 

--

 

Baekhyun calls Kyungsoo maybe ten minutes after he's done talking to Chanyeol, needing some time to sort all of his thoughts and prepare good arguments if Kyungsoo was against the idea of Minho spending the night at Chanyeol's. The cook said that he doesn't really hate Chanyeol or dislike him, but he doesn't trust him entirely yet and that makes Baekhyun think that there could be a problem if Baekhyun tells Kyungsoo about tonight's plans. To Baekhyun's surprise though, Kyungsoo agrees almost immediately, saying that it will actually be better for Minho to sleep somewhere where there is more than one bed and where it isn't as cold as outside. 

At first, Baekhyun wondered why Baekhyun can't just go over and look after Minho in Jongin's and Kyungsoo's house, but thinking about it more, Baekhyun understands. Jongin and Kyungsoo will probably have a... bonding time tonight, and Baekhyun nor Minho wouldn't be too happy to witness it. 

After he hangs up with Kyungsoo's permission to sleepover with Minho at Chanyeol's, Baekhyun eats the last bits of his already-cold lunch and throws the trash out, flopping back to his bed. There is really not much to do in his flat aside from sleeping and watching television, so Baekhyun doesn't feel guilty at all when he spends the following hours like that, lying in his bed while switching channel and actually falling asleep for a few minutes. 

But then he notices the time and when he realizes he has only about one hour before it's five, Baekhyun gets up from the bed in second and makes his way to bathroom. There wouldn't be a problem with having an hour to get ready, but since he told Chanyeol to be there before five, he expects the CEO to appear around 16.45 or something.

He washed his hair yesterday so he just needs a quick shower in order not to smell like cheap fast-food in a form of fries and burger. However, taking a shower is his weakness, and of course it takes more than just a few minutes. When he's finally out, his teeth brushed too, he has just forty minutes until Kyungsoo arrives, that means approximately half an hour before Chanyeol gets here. That, Baekhyun thinks, is more than enough time to get ready. 

Baekhyun wonders what to wear, but since they aren't going out and will be spending all of the time at Chanyeol's, the brunet thinks that he can simply wear sweatpants, a simple shirt and sweater. After all, he would change his clothes to sweatpants and loose, old shirt when they crash at Chanyeol's anyway, so is there really a reason to dress nicer? Baekhyun thinks not. And so, Baekhyun fishes out of his wardrobe grey sweatpants, white shirt and black sweater, putting it on before going back to the bathroom and make something with his hair. 

Into a small backpack, Baekhyun throws his toothbrush that is wrapped in a small igelit bag, shorts - in case the temperature in Park's mansion is so high Baekhyun is melting because Chanyeol likes it like that - and a XXL shirt he wear to bed. 

Just as he's zipping up his backpack, he hears someone knocking on the door. Thinking it's one of his neighbors, Baekhyun takes him time walking toward the door. His neighbors aren't bad, per se - not including some of the old grannies that like to comment on him being twenty-four and still single - but he still doesn't feel like talking to them. The brunet would most definitely not think that the one standing behind the door would be Chanyeol, and it leaves him shocked to see the tall man on his doorstep as he opens the door, smiling down at Baekhyun with fondness. 

"How did you get through the-"

"Hello to you too," Chanyeol chuckles at seeing Baekhyun so surprised, as if he's grown a second hand. "And some woman let me in."

"Oh, okay... Well, come in," as Baekhyun invites Chanyeol in, he eyes the CEO from head to toe. Chanyeol must have just gotten out work, judging by the fancy suit and tie along with nice shoes and pants, coat in his hand. In Baekhyun's flat that is literally screaming I'm kinda poor all over the place, Chanyeol looks like he doesn't belong here. But he does, says a voice in Baekhyun's head, making him remember that it's the same as on Chanyeol's birthday party - the CEO might look out of reach, but it's still the same Chanyeol. 

He relaxes more when Chanyeol starts talking about his day at work, telling Baekhyun that it has quieted down at the company a little and that Baekhyun doesn't have to worry that he is wasting Chanyeol's time, as the brunet put it a few days ago. The tall male hangs his coat on the hanger, throws his suit on the chair and makes his way to the kitchen to grab a bottle of soda from the fridge while ing about Jongdae and his never ending arguments on the topic of the latest Avengers movie with another worker. The way Chanyeol moves around Baekhyun's flat with ease should be alarming, but for some reason it's not. 

Baekhyun walks over to the kitchen pult and leans his back against it, looking at Chanyeol who sits on one of the chairs, taking a gulp of his soda after almost every long sentence. As Chanyeol talks, Baekhyun listens to everything, amused when the man uses the word terror to describe being around Jongdae when the guy is in a stupid argument with someone. Still, even when Chanyeol is talking about Jongdae as a nuisance, Baekhyun can see how fond he is of his friend.

When Chanyeol's done with talking, he asks Baekhyun about how he's been during the time they couldn't see each other, and Baekhyun just shrugs and says he's been just fine because there really isn't much to tell. Nothing interesting happened and he's been sleeping almost the whole time he was at home, that's what he tells Chanyeol. Since Jongin and Sehun started working for Luhan, there is nobody to barge into his apartment and be his company. Jongdae was as busy as Chanyeol, so there was no way he could come over, and Baekhyun wanted to call Kyungsoo but he decided not to. Kyungsoo's and Baekhyun's working hours are the same, so when the cook arrives home after his shift, he's patiently waiting for Jongin to come home in their flat, since the dancer's schedule is pretty hectic and Jongin can almost never say with certainty when he will come home. And so, Baekhyun figured that Kyungsoo would prefer to be at home when Jongin finally shows up instead of Baekhyun's apartment. There is always an option where Baekhyun can just come over to Kyungsoo's, but still, the cook would most likely be happier if he could be alone with Jongin when the dancers arrives. 

It feels like a second passed since Chanyeol's gotten here, but in reality it's been minutes, and it surprises Baekhyun when there is a ringing sound cutting Chanyeol's and Baekhyun's conversation off. Looking at the clock in confusion, Baekhyun sees that it's already 17.10, and that the one ringing the bell is most likely Kyungsoo with Minho. He excuses himself from the conversation and walks over to the door, pushing the button on the small box on the wall beside his door, opening the trance building door. He doesn't need to ask who it is because he is not expecting anyone else anyway.

He opens the door and waits for Kyungsoo and Minho while Chanyeol puts on his suit and coat, ready to leave. When Baekhyun looks over at him, he can see that Chanyeol is a bit nervous, meeting Minho being a possibly cause of his nervousness. 

"I'm sure he'll like you," Baekhyun says, assuring Chanyeol with a gentle smile. Chanyeol smiles at Baekhyun too, but it's a little strained. 

Just as both of them can hear the steps of Kyungsoo and his cousin, Chanyeol mutters, "I'll just get my phone." Baekhyun looks over his shoulder and watches as Chanyeol walks to the corner of the room and unplugs his charger along with his iPhone from the wall socket. 

Before he can come back, Kyungsoo is already standing in front of Baekhyun, holding Minho's small hand in his. The boy greets Baekhyun with a polite bow, and as he opens his mouth to greet him verbally too, Chanyeol comes back with his phone in hand, saying that he's got everything now. 

"Uhm, hi," Chanyeol greets Kyungsoo first, gulping as Kyungsoo looks at him with his big eyes. The cook isn't glaring or anything, but somehow his stare is still intimidating. Clearing his throat, Chanyeol turns to the little boy beside Kyungsoo, flashing a grin at Minho who is looking at Chanyeol with wide eyes and mouth hanging open. "Hello there, I'm Chanyeol." 

Instead of introducing himself or saying hello to Chanyeol back, Minho hides behind Kyungsoo, only his eyes peeking out from behind the cook. Baekhyun raises his eyebrows in confusion at first, but then realizes what could be a cause of Minho's reaction - Chanyeol is tall, like.. very tall. And Minho is just a kid to whom Chanyeol must look extremely intimidating, being so tall and dressed as one of those important, bad- men that Minho could have seen in gangster movies before - because of course Jongin would watch it with the boy when Kyungsoo falls asleep early during Minho's stay. 

When Kyungsoo nudges the boy a little, he finally finds the courage to stop hiding and bow to Chanyeol too, introducing himself in a small voice. Baekhyun glances at Chanyeol, and though Chanyeol is smiling, Baekhyun can see that the man is sad because of Minho's reaction. 

"Okay so... can you bring him back before lunch tomorrow?" Kyungsoo asks, letting go of Minho's hand to pat his head gently. 

"Yeah, of course," Baekhyun nods. Kyungsoo must be really happy to have a date night with Jongin today, judging by how much he seems to be fighting off the urge to smile. At least that's how he looks to Baekhyun, the happy aura around Kyungsoo not going unnoticed. "Shouldn't you go already? Don't leave Jongin waiting."

Kyungsoo finally smiles, shyly looking away from Baekhyun and kneeling down to say a few words to Minho before he leaves him in Chanyeol's and Baekhyun's care. While Kyungsoo talks to his cousin, Baekhyun turns to Chanyeol who is looking at the cook with raised eyebrows. Chanyeol must sense Baekhyun's question, and before the brunet cak ask, Chanyeol says quietly, making sure Kyungsoo won't hear him, "He looks like a teenager before his first date. It's so... uncharacteristic." 

"Not really," Baekhyun whispers back. Kyungsoo might look cold to new people, but the truth is that Kyungsoo is just a really dorky guy with a really cute smile. 

"Fine, so," Kyungsoo clears his throat when he straightens up, nudging Minho closer to Baekhyun. The little boy grabs Baekhyun's hand immediately when he senses that Kyungsoo is ready to leave, taking any kind of shield in order to protect himself from the giant that is standing next to Baekhyun. "Thank you once again, Baekhyun... and Chanyeol."

"I-It's fine," Chanyeol says, stuttering. He didn't expect Kyungsoo showing him gratitude in any way, and for Chanyeol, it's kind of a honor to get acknowledged by the devil cook. After all, Kyungsoo's words about him cutting of Chanyeol's manhood if he touches Baekhyun inappropriately are still occupying his mind. However, Chanyeol's fear of Kyungsoo doesn't have much to do with Kyungsoo's threats, not really. It's more like Chanyeol feels the weird need to be accepted by Kyungsoo as Baekhyun's friend because if Kyungsoo, who seems to dislike him very much, starts trusting him, just then can Chanyeol finally become a part of their group

"See you tomorrow," Kyungsoo waves at them as he leaves, disappearing on the staircase. Baekhyun wonders why he didn't take the elevator, but Baekhyun guesses that if he was in Kyungsoo's shoes, he would be too hyped to motionlessly stand in the elevator too. 

"I'll get my things and we can go," Baekhyun says, and then looks down at Minho with a smile. "Just wait here with Chanyeol-hyung, okay?" 

The boy nods and lets go of Baekhyun's hand, but as soon as he does so he takes a step back to be further away from Chanyeol. Baekhyun doesn't blame him for being a little scared of the CEO, since when Baekhyun was little he was kind of scared of tall people too. However, during the years, tall men became his ideal type because Baekhyun wanted to feel protected and what is better than having a person who is tall by his side? 

"Okay," the boy agrees, and Baekhyun turns around and goes to grab his backpack that is lying somewhere on the floor in his bedroom where he left it. He turns the light off as he leaves the room with the backpack in his hand, and he almost laughs as he sees Chanyeol standing one meter away from Minho, looking equally nervous as Kyungsoo's cousin. It's too funny to see a man who is almost 190cm tall looking so awkward and restless around a little boy. 

"Let's go!" Baekhyun exclaims as he takes hold of Minho's hand again, locking the door after they step out of Baekhyun's apartment. Then, he turns to Chanyeol, standing on his tiptoes to be closer to Chanyeol's ear and says, "You look more shook than Minho."

Chanyeol rolls his eyes but seems to be more at ease after Baekhyun's teasing comment. Baekhyun is glad to see one corner of Chanyeol's mouth being tugged upwards as the CEO looks ahead, feeling better about himself when he knows that he was able to get Chanyeol to relax more. He hopes it will only get better.

 

--

 

Minho is quiet the whole ride, speaking only when Baekhyun's question is directed right at him, and Chanyeol isn't any better. Baekhyun notices that the CEO is holding the steering wheel a little too tight and that he bites his lower lip nervously every time Minho speaks up. Chanyeol must be really nervous, Baekhyun thinks. It's not like he doesn't understand Chanyeol's nervousness, but he also wonders if it's because of worrying that a kid Baekhyun's taking care of won't like him, or if he is worried about Kyungsoo's cousin not liking him. He doesn't ask Chanyeol about it, figuring it's probably both of the possibilities.

When Baekhyun doesn't know what to talk about anymore, he turns on the radio after asking Chanyeol if it's alright, and sings quietly to the tune. He is surprised when a shy voice joins him, but he flashes a grin at Minho who starts singing the song with Baekhyun after recognizing it, and he is glad that Minho is getting more and more relaxed with every passing second as he sings together with Baekhyun.

"He has a pretty nice voice for an eight year old," Chanyeol says in a whisper when the song ends, and Baekhyun glances at him from the passenger's seat, nodding as he taps his fingers in a rhythm of the current song on his thigh. 

"Almost everyone in Kyungsoo's family could pass as a singer, Kyungsoo included," Baekhyun tells him. 

"Really?" Chanyeol raises his brows at Baekhyun, but doesn't avert his gaze from the road. It's Friday evening and there is more traffic than usual, so he has to be more careful. He is a confident driver, having his license for years now, but that doesn't mean he can be careless, especially when he is in a car with Baekhyun and Minho. 

"Yeah," Baekhyun nods again. "But nobody has ever auditioned for any company. I think Minho's going to be the first one when he grows up," then, Baekhyun cranes his neck to look Minho who is secretly listening to their conversation, thinking that Baekhyun hasn't noticed. "Right, Minho? You want to be a singer, am I right?"

"Yes," Minho says and ducks his head, drawing images on his thigh with finger in nervousness.

"I think you'll be very famous, your voice is really nice," Chanyeol speaks up, his voice shaking a little because of nerves.

"Thank you," Baekhyun sees Minho smile a little and his cheeks flare up after Chanyeol's compliment. The brunet leans against his seat more comfortably after averting his eyes away from Minho, thinking that the boy will definitely warm up to Chanyeol until this day ends. Because nobody can resist Chanyeol. Baekhyun had learned that too. 

 

--

 

As they step out of the car, Minho lets out a loud wow as he looks around himself. Baekhyun remembers reacting the same when he first saw where Chanyeol lives, waking up after fainting in a room as big as his whole flat and a house so big as Baekhyun's whole apartment building. 

"What would you like for dinner?" Chanyeol asks, Baekhyun following hand in hand with Minho behind the tall man, the little boy in awe upon seeing the large mansion in front of him. He probably hadn't expected to spend the night in a house that looks like a grand hotel. 

"I'm fine with whatever," Baekhyun answers, and then turns to look down at Minho who is too busy staring at everything around him to make eye-contact with Baekhyun. "What about you, Minho?"

The boy finally turns his head to Baekhyun, blinking a few times after realizing that Baekhyun is talking to him. "Huh?" he lets out, and Baekhyun laughs. The boy must be too overwhelmed.

"What do you want to eat for dinner?" Baekhyun repeats the question, walking the three stairs before stopping in front of the main door while Chanyeol fiddles with his keys.

"Cereal?" Minho offers, looking from Baekhyun to Chanyeol to get an approval. "Chocolate ones?" 

"I have three kinds, you can choose which one do you want," Chanyeol smiles at Minho with his dorky smile as he pushes the key in the lock, moving it in order to get the door open. At this answer, Minho beams and follows Chanyeol and Baekhyun into the house, letting out another wow as he walks in and stands in the spacious hall. 

"Where is your maid?" Baekhyun asks Chanyeol, taking off his shoes. Minho does the same, putting his small sneakers next to Baekhyun's and giving his jacket to the brunet when Baekhyun tells the little boy that he will hang it up for him. The moment Minho hands him the coat, he runs further into the house before Baekhyun can catch him. "Hey, Minho! You can't just-"

"Leave him, it's fine," Chanyeol waves his hand in dismissal, taking off his shoes as well and hangs his long coat. "And I always tell Jennie that she can go home when my parents are out of town."

"Aren't you worrying that he'll break something?" Baekhyun asks, following Chanyeol to the kitchen and craning his neck to look at Minho who is currently staring at a large painting of Chanyeol's family. 

"Not really," Chanyeol says, opening a cupboard and pulling out three boxes of chocolate cereals before he puts it on the pult. "Which one do you want?"

"This one," Baekhyun points to the Nesquik box, and pulls a bowl for out for himself, already knowing where the bowls and plates are. Just like Chanyeol knows where everything is in Baekhyun's flat, the same goes for Baekhyun. After all the time Baekhyun has spent in Chanyeol's house, he knows every room in the big mansion and where he can find things when he needs them, since one time he asked Chanyeol for a tour. It's kind of funny, how Chanyeol's house is so big that Baekhyun needed a tour, but he still had fun as Chanyeol showed him everything.

He pulls out another two bowls for Minho and Chanyeol, before raising his voice to call for Kyungsoo's cousin. "Minho, come pick the cereal you want!"

The boy runs to the kitchen a second later, standing between Chanyeol and Baekhyun as he looks from one box to another, lips pursed as he wonders which one he should choose. While Minho is choosing, Baekhyun reaches for the the fridge and takes out milk. 

"The cookie crisp one! It's my favorite," Minho points his fingers at the box on the right. Chanyeol nods and puts the third box of cereal back in the cupboard, since none of the three chose it.

"Mine too," Chanyeol says as Baekhyun fills two bowls with crisp cookie cereals and one with Nesquik. 

"Really? That's awesome," Minho smiles at Chanyeol for the first time today, and Baekhyun sneakes a glance at Chanyeol who is visibly taken aback by Minho's friendliness. Baekhyun can't help but smile too at the sight as he pours the milk in the bowls and pulls out three spoons. 

"Nesquik is better, but whatever," Baekhyun argues and takes his bowl in one hand, spoon in the other. He eats the spoonful of cereal as Minho and Chanyeol both look at him with raises eyebrows and mouths hanging open, expression shocked. They look like Baekhyun just insulted him. 

"Not true," both of the them say at once, and Baekhyun chuckles as he takes another spoon of his Nesquik and walks over to the dining table to sit there, cross-legged. Chanyeol always asks how Baekhyun can sit like that when he sees it, saying that Baekhyun's bones must be made of something elastic because there is no way a person with normal bones can sit like that on a chair so small. 

"Yeah, yeah," Baekhyun says, ignoring the two as they start arguing with him, trying to get their point through. 

They spend dinner like that, arguing about which cereal is better and why, and though nobody changes their opinion in the end, Baekhyun has fun. Looking at Minho from the corners of his eyes from time to time, the brunet thinks that Kyungsoo's cousin must feel the same way, judging by how he warms up to Chanyeol as they fight Baekhyun about his opinion. 

 

--

 

After dinner, they watch television for a while. Minho sits between Chanyeol and Baekhyun, not afraid of the giant anymore after realizing that despite Chanyeol's height, the man is just a kid in that had grown too much. However, there is nothing interesting in the television though, and after a few minutes, Minho asks if Chanyeol owns some board games that they could play. Chanyeol stands up, saying that he can go and look into loft, and it comes as a surprise when Minho stands up as well, getting a hold of Chanyeol's large hand, saying that he will go with him. 

Baekhyun is left alone for some time, and he uses this time to send a message to Kyungsoo, saying that Chanyeol and Minho are getting along very well and that they just had dinner. He also tells him that they are going to play some board games and then go to sleep at a reasonable time, so Kyungsoo doesn't have to worry and should just enjoy his date to the fullest. He hits the send button and then throws his mobile on the couch, leaning his back against it and closing his eyes as he relaxes. 

Chanyeol must be really good with kids, seeing how quickly he made Minho like him. It took Baekhyun more than three hours to get Minho to at least talk to Baekhyun the first time they've met, but Chanyeol managed to make Minho warm up to him really quickly. In Baekhyun's opinion, there is something about Chanyeol's presence and personality that draws people to him, make them feel like they would be missing out on something if they don't befriend the cheerful, tall and dorky guy. 

"Baekhyun-hyung! Be ready to lose!" the high-pitched, boyish voice makes him open his eyes again, and Baekhyun doesn't even know how long he's been alone, just lying on the soft couch and letting himself relax. This couch is so much better than Baekhyun's. It's even better than Baekhyun's own bed.

"What are we playing?" Baekhyun asks as he straightens up, rubbing at his eyes and running a hand through his hair to adjust it so it won't look so disheveled.

In answer to Baekhyun's question, the boy holds up a box with Sorry!  written on it, and Baekhyun sighs heavily. Minho is right, he's going to lose. Almost every time he plays Sorry! he loses. Baekhyun is better at card games more than at board games, and this game is the death of him. 

"You don't look very happy about it," Chanyeol comes into view, chuckling at Baekhyun's dejected expression. Baekhyun looks over at him with frown and a pout, and Chanyeol laughs loudly, following Minho back to the couch and sitting on a smaller sofa across from Baekhyun. 

And like this, as Minho opens the box and pulls out the board game, Baekhyun knows this evening will be the death of him. 

 

Baekhyun was not wrong when he said that this game is going to kill him. 

They play a lot of rounds, but Baekhyun manages to only win a few of them. And by the few of them, Baekhyun means that he won exactly three rounds out of at least million. Chanyeol makes sure to laugh at his misery every time he sends one of Baekhyun's pawn back to the start. The action is always followed by Minho's laughter too and Baekhyun is left pouting the whole time and throwing a tantrum, saying he is done with this game only to play one more round - which he also loses. 

He doesn't know if god hates him, since even though Baekhyun is so, so close to winning another round, Minho draws a sorry! card and of course, he has to take away one of Baekhyun's pawns that is right in front of the House. And it doesn't happen only once, but dozen of times. Baekhyun swears that Chanyeol and Minho gang up to make Baekhyun lose as many rounds as possible because every time the brunet loses, the two share a sheepish grin and a high five, which Baekhyun takes very personally and tells them that they are not friends anymore. 

But even though Baekhyun is bitter about losing almost everything, he can't help but feel blessed every time Chanyeol lets out a loud, beautiful laugh as Baekhyun's pawn is sent back to the start by either him or Minho. He can't help watching as Chanyeol's lips move when he whispers something into Minho's ear quietly so Baekhyun wouldn't hear. He can't help the fast beating of his heart when Chanyeol touches Baekhyun occasionally while laughing - a habit Baekhyun has picked up on a long time ago. Shouldn't Baekhyun be used to Chanyeol grabbing onto him as the CEO shakes with laughter already, since it's by far not the first time it happened, though? Why is he starting to react so strongly to these things? 

It's been like this for a while, Baekhyun realizes. It's not only today that his skin feels hot under Chanyeol's touch, and his heart flutters when he feels Chanyeol's breath on his ear when the CEO whispers something to him. But today, it's somehow different. Maybe it's because this is the first time Baekhyun sees Chanyeol being all child-like as he plans Baekhyun's loss with Minho sneakily, smiling sheepishly at Kyungsoo's cousin as their plan becomes reality. 

Many times Baekhyun even forgets that he is staring at Chanyeol until Minho nudges him, telling him it's his turn. When Baekhyun splutters and draws a card while avoiding Chanyeol's eyes, he knows that the other man is looking at him in confusion, not understanding fully why Baekhyun is so out of it. One time, he even asks Baekhyun if he is feeling alright and if he doesn't need to go to sleep or something. He offers Baekhyun to take care of Minho if Baekhyun wants to rest, and Baekhyun just shakes his head as if saying no. He insists that he is completely fine, but in Chanyeol's eyes Baekhyun can see that Chanyeol doesn't fully believe him. 

 

They play Sorry! until eight, but when Minho yawns, both Chanyeol and Baekhyun know that it's time to take him to bed. Chanyeol says that he will take care of Minho, taking him by the hand as he leads him to one of the guest rooms on the second floor, grabbing the boy's backpack along the way. 

In the meantime, Baekhyun puts the the game back in the box before grabbing his own backpack and walking up the stairs, heading to the guest room he usually stays at when he comes over. When Baekhyun's there, he changes into his sleeping shirt and folds his clothes on a chair before going to the bathroom that every guest room has to brush his teeth and wash his face. As he looks into the mirror above the sink, Baekhyun notices that there is not a trace of dark circles under his eyes. It's weird not to see them there, since his face didn't look that... healthy a long time. No dark circles or pale skin, nor bloodshot, tired eyes. It's like he's a different person.

Smiling a little at his reflection, he walks out of the bathroom with a satisfied feeling because it's been so long that he was happy with how he looks. He usually didn't even want to look at his reflection in the mirror, but now, he thinks he looks quite alright. 

Wanting to say a goodnight to Minho and then to Chanyeol too, Baekhyun walks out of his room and goes to the guest room at the end of the hall, knowing that it's the only other guest room that is in the house. He doesn't hear any noise coming from there though, and he speeds up his walking because it's quite worrying. But could it be that Minho is already asleep and Chanyeol is in his own room too? But there is a light coming from the room, and Chanyeol would surely switch the light off after leaving, right?

When he peeks into the room, Baekhyun's eyes fall on Minho, who is soundly asleep and tucked under the blankets. Beside him is lying Chanyeol, but he is lying on the top of the blankets, but he too, looks quite asleep to Baekhyun. The brunet walks into the room and makes his way to the bed, chuckling at how big Chanyeol is in comparison to the small boy next to him. 

Baekhyun doesn't wake Chanyeol up right away after finding out that, yes, Chanyeol is indeed asleep. Instead, he takes his time just looking at the man and his features, like so many times before. Every time Chanyeol falls asleep first, Baekhyun spends some time with looking at his face, studying it and memorizing the details. It's the same now, and Baekhyun wonders why he is doing it in the first place. 

You know why, a small voice whispers and Baekhyun doesn't shoo it away this time, instead he plays with the possibility of it being true. Baekhyun might have an idea why he is doing it, yes, but... it's wrong to think about Chanyeol like that. 

But is it really wrong? Baekhyun asks despite himself as he reaches out and gently touches Chanyeol's hand after a war of thoughts in his head, his fingertips feeling hot at the contact. This feeling he gets every time he touches Chanyeol, it can't be wrong. It simply cannot be wrong because that warm feeling that spreads through his body feels so damn good, it's something he has never ever felt. Not once in his life. 

Sighing, Baekhyun moves his hand to Chanyeol's arms and starts shaking him slightly, wanting to wake up the man. But Chanyeol is a heavy sleeper and it takes some effort before Chanyeol is finally opening his eyes. He blinks a few times in confusion, probably not realizing that he fell asleep,  not until Baekhyun says it. But even then, when the situation is clear, both of the men are frozen in the same position, motionless. They hold eye-contact and both of them are lost in their own thoughts as they look at each other, Baekhyun's hand still on Chanyeol's shoulder. Nobody says anything, not a word. They are not even that close, but Baekhyun's heart is beating very fast and he's sweating, his breath hitching in his throat. 

Is it wrong or right to feel like that?

It seems like forever, but Baekhyun finally lets go of Chanyeol, his palm feeling cold as the skin contact is broken. "I figured you would like to sleep in your bed." 

"Yeah..." Chanyeol rubs his eyes and moves to a sitting position, sighing sleepily. Baekhyun takes a few steps back, looking anywhere but at Chanyeol, realizing how intimate the moment was before the brunet spoke and distanced himself from Chanyeol and being embarrassed about it. Once again, they are in an awkward situation. Or that's what Baekhyun would have called it in the beginning of their blooming friendship, but they had gotten into so many familiar situations that it's not even awkward anymore, it's just...  it simply feels forbidden, like it should be stopped.

They walk out of Minho's room together without another word after Chanyeol gets up from the bed, but Baekhyun catches Chanyeol looking at him every time he tries to steal a glance at the tall man. He can't question Chanyeol about why he's looking at Baekhyun though, since Baekhyun is guilty as well, trying to catch a glimpse of Chanyeol from the corners of his eyes. 

"Well, uhm.. Goodnight," Baekhyun says lamely when he's in front of his guest room, finally finding the courage to look straight into Chanyeol's eyes without any games. Chanyeol is staring back at Baekhyun with sleepy eyes, and he seems to be still half-asleep as he takes a step toward Baekhyun, leaving close to none space between their bodies. What is Chanyeol doing?

The real question here is why Baekhyun isn't moving away, though. 

"Goodnight, Baekhyun," Chanyeol says and his breath ghosts over Baekhyun's lips, and it comes as a total surprise when Baekhyun closes his eyes for a second and lets a barely audible whimper escape his mouth. He doesn't know why exactly he reacted this way, but he is sure that it has got something to do not only with Chanyeol's breath on his skin, or their proximity, but Chanyeol's deep voice saying his name in this strange tone. 

What are they doing? Baekhyun isn't sure what's on Chanyeol's mind right now, but he doesn't feel like moving away, even though his heart is not beating just fast right now, it's furiously drumming against Baekhyun's ribcage at this point. 

It seems like Baekhyun's quiet whimper took Chanyeol by surprise too, and the other man suddenly clears his throat and steps away, blinking away the dazed glint in his eyes as he realizes what could just happen right now. 

"See you tomorrow," Chanyeol blurts out quickly and turns on his heel, walking into his own bedroom and shutting the door after himself, leaving Baekhyun standing alone in the hall. Chanyeol is gone so fast that Baekhyun even wonders if this was all a dream. However, the way his legs feel like jelly is indicating that this indeed wasn't any dream or his fantasy and that Baekhyun was very, very ing close to letting Park Chanyeol kiss him just now. But can Baekhyun be sure that Chanyeol was going to kiss him a second ago?

Bull, of course Baekhyun can be sure. What else could Chanyeol want while leaning into Baekhyun's personal space. Their noses were practically touching back there. No way Chanyeol wasn't thinking of kissing him. 

But how come Baekhyun was okay with it? How come that Baekhyun whimpered when Chanyeol was so close to him? How come, that deep down, Baekhyun wanted to feel Chanyeol's lips against his own?

What is happening to Baekhyun?