one step forward, one step back

without you to hold i'd be freezing

A/N: 

hello~~! 
lmao i stayed up to get this done again, but #noregrets. i can go sleep thinking that i have it finished and posted lol. 
btw for those who are kinda confused - bcs some ppl can be - read the notes at the end :)

OK BOIZ BUT CHANBAEK HAS THE ING CARD IN REPACKAGE ALBUM TOGETHER. THE BISH IS SHOOK AND THAT BISH IS ME. we were so blessed, thank u lord. im so excited for the new songs, esp for the sweet lies bcs that 12secs Baekhyun sang got me dying. I might have replayed it so many times that i ing know the lyrics by now. the whole concept is lit af jesus can't wait.

as always, thank you far all the support, i'm really happy that even tho the fic is long af, there are still ppl reading it. i thought that most of u would be gone by now, thinking it's unnecessarily long (which it maybe is but lol). SO THANK U FOR BEING THERE I LOVE U VERY MUCH.

 

--

 

Chanyeol decides to spend the night with Baekhyun, not wanting to leave his lover's side today. There is no problem with him staying over, since he has spare clothes in Baekhyun's apartment already, and even his work is closer so he doesn't need his car to get there. And really, even if sleeping over at Baekhyun's would be problematic, he would choose to stay the night here because he knows Baekhyun needs his presence now, the brunet's emotions being a mess. 

The walk back home is spent mostly in silence as both of them are lost in their own train of thoughts, but even when their minds are in totally different places, their hearts remain to beat for the other, their bodies pressed close together during their walk. Chanyeol can only imagine how Baekhyun worries silently about the outcome of things, while the CEO is thinking of what to do next. Losing Baekhyun isn't on the list of possibilities, and he is determined to talk to his father about the matter of his relationship with Baekhyun tomorrow. However, he needs good arguments, not just furious attitude and curses when he talks to the man. He needs to think it all over, and it's going to be a messy word fight, Chanyeol can sense it, but if the other option is letting Baekhyun go then he rather stands up to his father than lose the brunet. 

Smiling to himself, Chanyeol wonders how could he change so much after just a few months with Baekhyun. Just now he is fully aware that Baekhyun is making him more courageous and just a better person in general. A few months ago, he wouldn't think twice before firing one of his employees because of not being at work on time, but remembering Baekhyun's words - you don't know what the person is going through, most of the time it's worse than you think - Chanyeol made sure to ask why his employee was so late these past days. In the end, he found out that the person's mother was sick and they needed be there while their mother takes her morning medicine. Without Baekhyun in his life, he probably wouldn't have asked. Baekhyun had a really huge impact on his mind-set.

Honestly, Chanyeol can't imagine his life without Baekhyun in it anymore. Their lazy nights spent together in Baekhyun's small bed, their stupid bickering over movies, their laughing at ridiculous tv shows... it would be all gone if Chanyeol wasn't ready to stand up to his father and he really, really wouldn't be able to deal with that. Him and Baekhyun might not have plenty of time for each other, but the bits here and there are enough for Chanyeol, the thought of seeing Baekhyun after work making him work harder and faster. Even if he sees his lover for just a few minutes, having a quick talk over tea or coffee or juice that Baekhyun loves so much, Chanyeol really cherishes those moments. He cherishes it because even the smallest things are special with Baekhyun. 

"Do you wanna take the shower first, or should I go?" Baekhyun asks quietly when they finally step into the brunet's small flat, making Chanyeol snap out of his thoughts. Turning his had to Baekhyun, he sees that Baekhyun isn't even looking at him, instead keeping his pretty eyes on the ground as if he is afraid to look at Chanyeol. Chanyeol doesn't like it one bit.

"You go first," Chanyeol says, kicking off his shoes. When Baekhyun does the same, the CEO tries to catch his eyes but doesn't succeed, Baekhyun being really good at this avoiding game. Feeling his heart clench, Chanyeol bites his lip while wondering what can he say to make Baekhyun feel better because he truly hates seeing his lover so troubled. He wants to tell Baekhyun to stop thinking about his father, he wants to tell him to stop worrying because Chanyeol will take care of it, he wants to tell him that he will do anything to protect Baekhyun and everyone the brunet cares about. However, the only thing that leaves his mouth in the end is, "Take your time, you don't have to hurry."

"...Okay."

Baekhyun disappears in his room and a few seconds later Chanyeol hears the brunet shutting the bathroom door. Sighing, Chanyeol walks over to the kitchen and pulls out two glasses from the cabinet, pouring orange juice in one of them and a simple mineral water into the other. Taking both drinks in his hands, the CEO walks into the bedroom and sets the glasses on the bedside table, deciding to take off the uncomfortable wear. After all these years, he is used to wearing the tight button-ups and nice pants for hours, but when it's not necessary he would rather not have them on. 

Just as he starts ing his shirt, he can hear the water in the shower running, meaning that Baekhyun finally got in. Chanyeol doesn't know if he should be relieved that Baekhyun will be hopefully able to calm down his nerves under the stream of hot water or be worried because Baekhyun will most likely torture himself with his thoughts during the shower. Some time ago Baekhyun told Chanyeol that while he's in the shower, he feels rather calm because it relieves a lot of stress, but on the other side he always thinks a lot about every possible thing because there is not much to do. Chanyeol just hopes that Baekhyun will focus more on the stress relieving and less on his negative thoughts.   

Stripping off his clothes, Chanyeol folds them and puts them on the chair, returning back to the bed and laying his body down on the mattress. He thinks of turning on the television but then decides against it, instead getting a hold of his mobile that he threw on the bed earlier while undressing. Knowing that his mother would be angry at him and worried sick if he didn't call her about his location, Chanyeol dials his mother's number and brings the phone to his ear. Soon enough, the sweet voice of his mother replaces the dialing tone, "Finally! I was so worried! Are you still working? When are you coming home?" 

Smiling a little, Chanyeol adjusts the phone and answers his mother's questions. "I'm finished for today, I'm at Baekhyun's now."

"..Oh."

"I'm sleeping here tonight, but please don't tell father. Maybe he will figure it out, but don't tell him," Chanyeol's tone is serious, but his mother can clearly hear the hint of pleading in his voice. 

"Chanyeol, I don't think that staying at his place is a good idea," his mother says, and Chanyeol would lie if he said that he didn't expect her to say something like this. Still, he doesn't care about his mother not approving of him staying over at Baekhyun's, not now. He will talk to her too tomorrow, after he's done talking to his father, but he is not having this conversation now.

"It doesn't matter," Chanyeol wants to end the phone call quickly, since his intention was only to let his mother know that he's alright and safe so she doesn't have to worry about him. Worrying is his mother's special talent after all.

"It does, Chanyeol, it's-"

Chanyeol doesn't know if it's because he doesn't want to hear his mother repeating that it's not a good idea to stay at Baekhyun's or if his emotions are finally getting the better of him, but he can't stop the words that escape his lips next. "Mom, father did something that truly angered me, and I really don't want to go home now if there is a possibility that I will see him. Besides, Baekhyun is having a rather hard time because of him too and I'm not leaving him." 

This makes his mother stop and think about what Chanyeol has said, judging by the silence that stretches between them. He wonders if his mother's imagination is enough to guess what her husband did, or if Chanyeol will have to spell it out to her tomorrow when he talks to her. However, the woman isn't stupid by any means, and living with Chanyeol's father for so long, it won't be that hard for her to think about the possibilities. 

"What exactly is your plan, Chanyeol?" the question is rather easy considered what has to be done, but Chanyeo doesn't know how to answer. The only thing he knows is that he will stand up to his father and protect Baekhyun and the people close to his lover, but what exactly happens next? Chanyeol doesn't believe that his father would simply accept his relationship and move on with his life, letting his son be happy. That simply won't happen. So what exactly is Chanyeol's plan?

"I don't know yet," the CEO whispers quietly into the speaker, and he hears his mother sigh deeply on the other side. "But I'm not giving up on him, mom."

"Are you serious? Chanyeol, you have to be serious-" Chanyeol stops listening when the door to the bathroom opens and Baekhyun steps out, one towel around his waist while another is used for drying the brown locks. As their eyes meet, Chanyeol completely forgets about his mother talking some sense to him, and a small smile that is meant to ease Baekhyun's worries which are still surely there tugs at his lips. 

"Mom, I'm sorry, but I have to go. I'll see you tomorrow, goodnight," quickly, he hangs up, putting his mobile on the bedside table as he stands up. Immediately, he starts walking toward Baekhyun who just looks at him questioningly, his small eyes not leaving Chanyeol. The CEO doesn't know if he should be happy that Baekhyun's finally looking at him, or be sad because those eyes aren't as full of joy as he remembers them.

Stopping in front of Baekhyun and gently prying the brunet's hands away from the towel, Chanyeol starts drying Baekhyun's hair slowly. "I thought you'd be longer in there," Chanyeol says, wanting to sound casual, hoping Baekhyun would then feel better. However, Baekhyun's eyes are still sad, the small smile not reaching his the brown orbs at all. Chanyeol's heart sinks.

"I just want to sleep," Baekhyun whispers, and Chanyeol nods, understanding that the brunet must be tired. Knowing Baekhyun, the man surely didn't sleep much after the encounter with Chanyeol's father.

"Okay. I'll take a quick shower and join you in bed," saying that, Chanyeol bends down and kisses Baekhyun's forehead tenderly, letting his lips linger there a little. He really doesn't want Baekhyun to be sad or have so many things to worry about. Chanyeol is the one who dragged him into this mess, and it's his job to make everything right again. He just wishes Baekhyun would understand none of this is his fault. 

Without saying anything back, Baekhyun just nods when Chanyeol moves away a little and walks past the CEO in slow steps, coming to sit on the bed as he continues rubbing his hair with the towel. Wanting to join Baekhyun in the bed so he can embrace his smaller body while falling asleep, Chanyeol is determined to make his shower as quick as possible. Grabbing a towel and clean underwear from Baekhyun's wardrobe, he disappears behind the bathroom door with one last glance at the brunet sitting on the bed. 

He doesn't even bother with setting a good temperature before he turns the water in the shower on, washing his body in  a hurry under the rather cold water without thinking twice about it. Washing his hair just as quickly, Chanyeol steps out of the shower five minutes later, almost slipping on the tiles in the process of walking over to the sink in order to wash his teeth. Taking his own toothbrush that he brought here long time ago, Chanyeol can't fight the smile appearing on his face as he is reminded of how much he already belongs here. 

After he's done with brushing his teeth, Chanyeol puts on his underwear and starts drying his hair as he leaves bathroom, his gaze falling on his boyfriend right away. There is a painful pang in his chest when he sees Baekhyun lying on the left side of the bed, the male staring in distance with blank face. He expected Baekhyun to be trying to fall asleep, since the brunet must be tired as hell, but Baekhyun doesn't look like he was trying to fall asleep at all. Chanyeol can see that the thoughts are keeping Baekhyun awake. 

Biting into his lower lip worriedly, Chanyeol throws the towel on the table carelessly as he walks over to the bed from the other side, finally joining Baekhyun under the covers after turning on the light. As he slips in, his long lips accidentally touch Baekhyun's, the bed not exactly spacious. However, even after the skin to skin contact, Baekhyun doesn't turn to him, showing Chanyeol only the back of his head. Chanyeol doesn't leave it at that, though. 

He moves closer, slowly wrapping his arm around Baekhyun's waist. The male doesn't flinch away, which should be good, but the thing is that Baekhyun doesn't react at all. He just continues lying motionlessly. It's clear that Baekhyun is either too lost in his thoughts or is still afraid to show any form of affection to Chanyeol. Chanyeol wonders just how much burden is on Baekhyun's shoulder right now, the brunet feeling like his dearest people's lives are in his hands. 

Pulling Baekhyun closer and burying his nose in his soft hair, Chanyeol closes his eyes and exhales deeply in the brown locks. "Sleep, Baekhyun," he whispers, rubbing the smooth skin of Baekhyun's stomach with his thumb. 

Baekhyun doesn't say anything in response and after a few seconds Chanyeol thinks that the brunet probably listened to him and is now trying to fall asleep, finally closing his eyes after the previous almost-sleepless night. However, it's maybe one minute later that Baekhyun squirms in his hold, and for a moment Chanyeol is afraid that the man will move away from him, but he is pleasantly surprised when Baekhyun just turns around and buries his face into Chanyeol's bare chest. 

"I'm scared, Chanyeol," Baekhyun says quietly, his voice barely audible even in the quietness of the room. "I'm really scared." 

Hearing Baekhyun speaking with this tone, his voice quivering, Chanyeol's heart clenches painfully. He knew Baekhyun was scared, it was written all over his face, but hearing the brunet say it out loud is just too much. If Chanyeol stood up for Baekhyun sooner, his boyfriend wouldn't be going through this. How scared Baekhyun is exactly to push his pride aside and voice his worries? It hurts, but it also makes Chanyeol more determined to protect him. 

"I know, I'm sorry," after squeezing Baekhyun slightly, Chanyeol puts some distance between them, lowering himself to Baekhyun's eye level. Even in the almost-complete darkness of the room, Chanyeol can see Baekhyun's beautiful eyes glistening with unshed tears. He brings his hand up to Baekhyun's cheek tenderly, relaxing slightly when he feels the soft skin under his palm. The touch seems to put Baekhyun in ease as well, judging by how the brunet closes his eyes when Chanyeol's fingers brush over his cheek, the man moving closer to Chanyeol, tangling their legs together under the covers. "It's gonna be okay, I promise you. And you know I don't break my promises."

Baekhyun stays silent, and Chanyeol thinks that this is the end of their conversation, but he is shocked to feel soft lips against his a second later. His eyes close, an immediate reaction to the kiss, and he relaxes into it, letting Baekhyun set the pace. The person who said that actions speak louder than words might be right after all because as Chanyeol feels Baekhyun's lips sliding against his in the most tender way, no words are needed to describe what both of them are feeling at the moment. The kiss is clearly saying everything, emotions exchanged with every touch of their lips. 

"I love you," Chanyeol whispers between the kisses, bringing Baekhyun closer by the waist. He feels Baekhyun smile into the kiss before pulling away, and a wave of affection and love hits him like a train when Baekhyun gives him a huge grin, deity fingers coming up to touch Chanyeol's hand that is resting on Baekhyun's cheek. Now, in that smile that is lightening up the room, Chanyeol doesn't see any hint of worry. He just wishes it would stay like that, even though he knows it's impossible. 

However, he feels like it's his duty to keep that beautiful smile on Baekhyun's face as long as possible. 

 

--

 

Chanyeol has made up his mind. 

He has his arguments prepared carefully, every sentence thought over for thousands of times to make sure he gets it right. He had a few hours to prepare his speech, his work done quickly like never before so he could fully focus on the wording of his sentences when he presents his speech to his father. 

At some point, he wanted to call over Jongdae, but sensing that his friend would distract him with tons of different questions, he decided to this alone. He even wrote his speech down as if he was going to present it on some meeting with sponsors. But thinking more about it, it can be considered a meeting. A meeting with the person that is standing between him and Baekhyun, the person that dared to threaten the brunet. 

It's funny how Baekhyun, someone whom Chanyeol knows for a few months, has changed him so much that he is able to stand up to his father. This is something Chanyeol wasn't able to do for the past years, always agreeing with his father out of fear. And now Chanyeol wonders, why was he even afraid of the man? Sure, when he was young and in school, he couldn't really disagree with his father since his future was in the man's hands, basically. But now, when Chanyeol is a CEO of the family company, a grown-up with stable ground under his feet, why should he be afraid of his father? 

It's not like Chanyeol wants to disobey every order that his father gives him from now on, but he sure as hell won't bow to everything that comes out of the man's mouth anymore. Contrary to what his family thinks, he is an adult, and he is able to make decisions regarding his life as well as decisions regarding the family company. 

Baekhyun once told Chanyeol that because of him, he started believing in himself more. The thing is, Baekhyun doesn't even know that the he had the same impact on Chanyeol. Before meeting the brunet, Chanyeol acted like he is brave and mighty, having everything under the control, but the truth is that it wasn't like that. He has never told anyone about it, now even Jongdae, but he felt extremely self-conscious about everything that he did, afraid of how his father will react. Every time he made a deal with someone and finished the ad? Every time he spoke on events? He might looked confident, but he wasn't. However, after getting closer to Baekhyun, his worries started to slowly disappear because Baekhyun always told him that he did an amazing job. And somehow, the brunet's words meant so much to him that he stopped caring about the opinion of his father, focusing more on what's Baekhyun got to say. 

Judging by the praises that kept growing from the beginning of the year, he's doing rather good. 

And for everything Baekhyun did for Chanyeol, he doesn't deserve to be treated so badly, especially not from a relative of Chanyeol. Today, Chanyeol isn't defending only his relationship with Baekhyun, but also Baekhyun as a person, since nobody has the right to downgrade him just because he isn't rich and powerful.

Taking a deep breath, Chanyeol nods to himself as if he was agreeing with his thoughts before knocking on his father's door. He knows that this is a really bad timing to talk to him about Baekhyun, since the man hates being interrupted while working in his work room, but Chanyeol doesn't want to wait even a second longer, lowkey afraid that if he did, this bravery of his would slowly disappear. It isn't very likely, considering that protecting Baekhyun is his biggest priority, but still.

"Come in," is heard from the other side and Chanyeol takes another breather before opening the door and entering the room with a calm expression on his face, not giving away anything, not a hint of frustration and the fear that he feels even after reminding himself that there isn't nothing to be so afraid of, not really.

"Sorry to interrupt you, but I need to speak with you," Chanyeol says with a collected voice. Adrenaline is flowing through his veins as he closes the door after entering the room and walks over to his father with slow steps. The man is sitting under his big mahagony table, and from what is seems he is reviewing Chanyeol's work as if he didn't trust his son at all even though it's been three years already that Chanyeol was put in the charge of the family company. 

"Be quick then," his father doesn't even look up from the documents in his hands, and this little action that speaks volumes about the man not being interested in the conversation in the slightest makes his blood boiling, sudden flood of anger hitting Chanyeol, making him feel determined than ever before.

"It's about Baekhyun," Chanyeol doesn't waste any time before getting to the reason he's here, no beating around the bush. As much as he wants to give his father a piece of his mind after all these years, he wants to make it as quick as possible.

Immediately, Chanyeol's father freezes, and Chanyeol would be lying if he said that he isn't proud of himself for catching the man's attention so quickly. However, his inner celebration stops when Chanyeol's father puts the paper in his hands down on the table, looking straight into the CEO's brown orbs with icy and dangerous eyes. "Go on," he says, voice neutral, but after all these years of being with his father, Chanyeol can sense the tiniest hint of worry that is hidden under the layers of annoyance that comes with hearing Baekhyun's name.

Collecting himself quickly, Chanyeol speaks, "I know about you forcing him to meet you. I know about you threatening him."

"...And?" his father asks with a bored expression, looking like he doesn't see what's wrong with his actions. Chanyeol is momentarily left to wonder if his father is for real right now, thinking that threatening someone after forcibly making them come somewhere is completely fine. It sends another wave of anger through Chanyeol's body, and he frowns deeply upon hearing the careless tone of his father's tone. 

"You can't do this, father. Threatening someone is illegal-"

"He wouldn't tell anyone," his father cuts him off, clearly annoyed. 

"And that's making it more acceptable?" Chanyeol asks, his tone just slightly louder. However, he collects himself quickly, reminding himself that he can't let his emotions get the better of him. "You went too far this time," he continues, voice low as he tries to keep his anger in the back of his head, keeping himself from exploding. "That's why I came here to talk," stopping to think how to phrase his next sentence, Chanyeol takes a breath before saying, "I won't accept you threatening my lover."

After hearing words my lover falling out of Chanyeol's mouth, his father frowns deeply and while Chanyeol knows that now he's done it, he doesn't regret it. He needs to let his father know exactly what Baekhyun is to him in order to make the man understand that the brunet isn't just a fling or a playtoy, as it was said before.

"Ex-lover, you mean," his father's voice is dripping with poison as he says it, cocking his head to the side slightly while frowning at his son dangerously. 

A few months earlier, Chanyeol would be scared, knowing he is overstepping his boundaries, but now he truly doesn't care half as much as he should. "No, I mean my lover, as in present tense," Chanyeol clarifies. "I'm not breaking up with him, and neither am I allowing him to break up with me just because he is afraid of you and what you can do if he doesn't listen."

"Well, he is in his right mind, unlike someone," the atmosphere in the air is so tense that Chanyeol feels like suffocating, but he is not backing down that easily. 

Ignoring his father's slide remark, Chanyeol continues. "I want to be honest with you," he starts, clenching and unclenching his fists in nervousness. He has the speech prepared, written down even, but suddenly he has a hard time remembering the exact words. Not wanting to stay silent any longer, Chanyeol just decides to think of something along the way. "I'm dating Baekhyun," he pauses as his father's expression turns even more murderous. "And I don't plan on leaving him or letting him go anytime soon. I want you to accept it and lay off him, his family and friends," when Chanyeol's father stands up abruptly from his chair, Chanyeol fights the urge to take a step back. With the sheer power of will, the CEO just flinches in the end but stands his place. "I'm serious about him, so please respect it-"

"You're out of your mind!" judging by how Chanyeol's cut off, the old man has finally had enough of his son's talking. "You're telling me you're serious about him, but how exactly do you mean it? Do you want to spend the rest of your life with the scum-" Chanyeol growls lowly when his father addresses Baekhyun as scum, "-or will you get tired of him after a few months?"

Chanyeol is sure that he will not get tired of Baekhyun, not now and not in the future, and for a moment Chanyeol lets himself get lost in his thoughts as he thinks about how a life with Baekhyun could look. Hopefully, there are still many years left before Chanyeol dies, and he thinks if he wants to spend these days with Baekhyun by his side. His heart is screaming at him yes because he can no longer imagine his life without Baekhyun, but his brain is telling him to stop being so optimistic. The rest of life is rather long, and nobody can be that sure that their relationship will last that long.

However, "If it's possible, then yes. I would like to spend my life with him," Chanyeol says, his voice not carrying a hint of hesitation. It's a rather strong statement, considering that Chanyeol know Baekhyun maybe half a year, but his love for the brunet is so strong that at this moment, Chanyeol would really like to imagine his future with Baekhyun. Maybe it's stupid, but his heart is screaming for Baekhyun, and Chanyeol is just a simple human, not being able to resist his heart's wishes.

"You are crazy," the humorless laugh of his father gives his goosebumps, the sound sounding extremely wrong. He gulps when his father starts walking toward him slowly, but doesn't step back, knowing it would be a sign of weakness. And Chanyeol has to be strong for Baekhyun, he has to be strong for them. "I've never thought I'd have to deal with that," the man shakes his head in disbelief. "You were such a problematic child, but if I had to argue with you like that about something, I thought it would be over you sleeping around, not about you thinking you're in love with some poor -"

"Stop insulting him," Chanyeol growls again, fire in his eyes. He won't accept his father addressing Baekhyun like that.

"I can't believe this is happening," his father completely ignores him, going on without paying attention to Chanyeol's comment. "I didn't raise you like this."

Chanyeol laughs for the first time, sarcasm clear. He can't believe his own ears. "Raise me... like what? Without stupid prejudice you mean?" 

"You will not speak to me like that," the old man brings his index fingers up in warning, and Chanyeol just shakes his head and looks away. Now this man wants to play a father figure, after all these years of being nothing more than someone who brings down his self-confidence. He has never cares about Chanyeol, not really. He cares only about having a heir for the company, that's it. "As if dirtying our family name isn't enough, you bring Kim's son down with you too. What's with both of you playing around with gold-diggers? Is this some form of rebellion?"

For a moment, Chanyeol is taken aback. He didn't expect Jongdae or Minseok to be brought to the conversation, but he guesses that he shouldn't be surprised by anything anymore. To top it off, he should probably accept the fact that his father won't stop people who aren't as rich as them gold-diggers and s, however angry it's making him feel. Chanyeol wonders how would Jongdae react to hearing Minsoek being insulted like this. 

"Leave Minseok and Jongdae out of this, this isn't about them," Chanyeol says sternly, not appreciating another one of his friends being called nasty names. Insulting Baekhyun is already enough to make his blood boil. "This is about me and Baekhyun. About you leaving Baekhyun and the people he cares about alone," Chanyeol continues. "Because, as I've mentioned already, I'm not letting him go."

There is a silence between them for a while, and Chanyeol uses it to brace himself for what's coming next while he stares intensely into his father's eyes, trying to get his point through his gaze. His father probably sees that Chanyeol is dead serious about what he's saying because after a few seconds the old man lets out and angry exhale, running a hand through his grey hair. Chanyeol patiently waits for his father's next words.

"Stop being selfish, Chanyeol," comes out of his mouth, and Chanyeol frowns in confusion. How is he being selfish with this? "A lot of our business partners and sponsors are against homoual relationships, and I'm not even going to start about how unacceptable it is to for you to have a partner not only male, but also from such a low social class."

Yes, Chanyeol knows. Chanyeol knows it very well, and if he could he would laugh at it whole-heartedly in front of his father. It's true that the some business partners and sponsors are against gay relationships and gay people in general, but the funny thing about it is how none of the old farts know that their sons are ing with men every time there is a chance like teenagers. 

"If you continue being with him, the company will suffer. A lot," Chanyeol appreciates that his father didn't insult Baekhyun and instead just said him. "Your grandfather and I built this company from the ashes, and it's selfish of you to sacrifice all of that for a boy."

"I will look into it," Chanyeol says with determination. "If some partners leave us because of homophobia, there will be new partners who will want to replace them, partners who are actively supporting gay rights-"

"Enough of this!" Chanyeol is cut off again, this time his father's voice so loud that Chanyeol swears the whole building trembled. If his mother who was in the living room eating dinner and watching news didn't hear them until now, she will now surely know that something's happening. "This is not only a huge risk, but carelessness from your side! You are a business man, act like one!"

"I'm also a human with emotions!" Chanyeol immediately screams back, unable to hold his emotions in the back of his head anymore. He expected this to be hard, and he is surely not going to give up, but he's starting to lose energy to argue. "I know I'm risking a lot, I know it. But I wouldn't be here if I wasn't serious about it."

"Look where that boy has gotten you - disobeying your father and not thinking rationally," the old man sighs, rubbing at his eyes in annoyance. "How long have you been together again, care to tell me."

Chanyeol looks away, biting his lip. He knows what he's father is pointing at. "Just a few days," he answers quietly.

"Yes, a few days. How can you know that your stupid relationship will not end after, what, two weeks? You can't make decisions based only on emotions that can change rather quickly. I thought you're smarter than this," his father shakes his head in disappointment, and Chanyeol looks back at him with newfound will to fight because, yes, there we go again. Chanyeol not being good enough, Chanyeol not being smart enough, the same as always. His father has never said a good thing about him if it wasn't in front of important people in order to make a good impression, he doesn't have the right to pull this card. He doesn't even know Chanyeol, not enough to tell how smart exactly he is, that's for sure. 

However, instead of defending himself and spiting some slide comments, Chanyeol focuses on a different part of his father's sentence. "What if I'm longer with him, proving that we can make this work? Will you accept Baekhyun, then?" 

"That's not at all what I was getting at."

"Doesn't matter now," Chanyeol dismisses, catching onto what seems to be the last chance to win this argument. "How long do I need to be with Baekhyun for you to understand that I'm serious?"

"Chanyeol-"

"How long?" Chanyeol presses, knowing very well that he's just pushing the boundaries. However, he can't stop now. This is his chance. If his father only needs to see Chanyeol and Baekhyun being together for a longer period of time to believe that what the two of them feel for the other is real, then there is no problem. It would be a certain win for the CEO, since proving his father the seriousness of this relationship would only mean spending even more time with Baekhyun. 

"I know what you're trying to do, and it's not working."

"Father, answer my question," Chanyeol doesn't plan on backing down, and he hopes that his determination is clear to his father as well.

It probably is because in the next second, the old man exhales, sounding troubled an frustrated as he speaks. "Listen to me now," and Chanyeol does, his ears perked. "He is the first person you are serious about, from what you're saying, so I will take this into consideration," Chanyeol can already feel a wave of happiness washing over him, and he tries to fight it because this isn't the end, and no matter how good it sounds, the rest of what his father has to say might ruin it all. "However, he is a man, and a person from a low social class," yes, it was said today. "Thus it could be a big scandal if it didn't work out, and I'm not only talking about the impact it would have in you if people knew about it. Imagine him being called names, being laughed at everywhere he goes. You are risking his life too."

Chanyeol stays silent, letting the words sink. His father is true, he can't deny that. But Chanyeol is still too stubborn to accept this possibility, since he doesn't plan on leaving Baekhyun. It's kind of childish to completely ignore it, but for now he only cares about getting his father's green light. 

Chanyeol's father takes his son's silence as a sign that the CEO is thinking about the things he has said, but not wasting any more time, he continues, "You are trying to act like a true adult, but let me tell you that if something goes wrong, you - as an adult - will be responsible. If something happens to the company, I'm telling you now," the man pauses. "You will have to step down from your position as the CEO. Are you ready to risk it all?" 

Chanyeol wants to say yes, he really does. Baekhyun is worth risking it all, but the single word of confirmation is somehow stuck in Chanyeol's throat. It's not like he didn't realize the weight of this situation before, but hearing that he really could be replaced if something goes wrong is just... too scary. Chanyeol has never been one for relationships and Baekhyun changed him, yes, but... Chanyeol practically sacrificed his whole life for the company, and if he loses it-

"I see you're not so sure about it-"

"I am!" Chanyeol tries to save it, but he knows he doesn't sound very persuading. He hates himself for suddenly doubting his relationship with Baekhyun, but he can't help it.

"No, you're not," of course his father knows. "So, this is my proposition - until you're hundred percent sure about that boy, keep it in secret. I don't want to get another photos of you making out in the car, or else I'm gonna take action myself. And then, when you make up your mind, we can have this talk again. Until then, I don't want to hear about him again, from you or from someone else. Is that clear?"

When Chanyeol answers with silence, his father repeats the question, only now with a more demanding tone. "I asked, is that clear?"

"...Yes," Chanyeol nods his head, biting into his lips strong enough to draw blood. He bows to his father slightly before making his way out of the work room, feeling somehow more uneasy than he was before this conversation. The guilt is eating him up from inside, voices in his head reminding him how he practically betrayed Baekhyun right now. He went into the room with determination to fight for their relationship, but he's leaving it with knowing that while he won partly, he also wasn't able to defend their love completely. Baekhyun would be disappointed in him. 

Letting out a frustrated exhale as he leaves the room, closing the door after he's out, Chanyeol decides that he needs a drink. Something strong preferably, to make him forget at least for a while what a lousy boyfriend he is. 

With many thoughts in his head, Chanyeol runs the stairs to the ground floor, ready to go into the living room where the liquor cabinet is. In times like this, Chanyeol is glad that he is unable to be hungover because it would be a really big problem if he went to work tomorrow with an incredible headache and grumpy mood. 

"Uhm, mom?" Chanyeol calls out to his mother when he sees her in the hall putting on her shoes. "Where are you going?" 

His mother looks up to him as she collects her belongings and puts them into her bag carefully. She smiles at him slightly, and Chanyeol narrows his eyes, wondering what the hell is going on. Surely, his mother heard them fight, so why is she smiling? There is surely something wrong. "I have to meet one of my clients urgently."

Glancing at the clock, Chanyeol raises his eyebrows at her doubtingly. "At eight-twenty in the evening? Isn't it rather late?" Chanyeol questions. Generally, it's not really late, but for a meeting with a client, it surely is. 

"Yes, as I said, it's urgent. I have to go now," she says, waving at him before turning her back to him and escaping through the front door. Aside from the weird smile, his mother looked normal, no signs of lying in her words or movements. 

Chanyeol shakes his head, thinking that he's getting too paranoid after the conversation with his father. It happens that there are urgent cases, it's not like Chanyeol's mother disappeared late like this for the first time. 

Walking over to the liquor cabinet, Chanyeol opens it with heavy heart, not even caring what he takes in his hand. As he opens the bottle and takes a rather large gulp without even bothering with a glass, the CEO wonders how can he tell Baekhyun that he got this ultimatum from his father because suddenly he was not so sure about their relationship. It will break Baekhyun, he knows it. 

Chanyeol is too busy thinking about how to deal with Baekhyun that he doesn't even think that his father might have planned this, knowing very well too that this could damage Chanyeol's and Baekhyun's relationship. And unfortunately, Chanyeol jumped right into his trap. 

 

--

 

 

Baekhyun is reading a book in his bed's comfort when the doorbell rings, making him jump from shock a little. Looking up from the book, he wonder if he was expecting someone tonight. However, after remembering that all of his friends have plans for today and Chanyeol said that he won't be able to come, Baekhyun is left confused as to who can be visiting him. He purses his lips in thought, but nobody comes to his mind.

With a thought that it can really be Chanyeol who somehow cleared his schedule, Baekhyun sets the book aside and gets up from the bed quickly, not wanting to let the person wait too long, no matter if it's Chanyeol or not. Walking through his flat in quick strides, Baekhyun opens the door swiftly. He always opens the door first before checking the bell, saving himself the trouble that would come with repeating various versions of is there someone? hello? 

As he opens the door, Baekhyun finds a well-dressed woman standing there, her expression neutral and her eyes boring into Baekhyun the moment the door isn't in the way anymore. Looking at the woman, Baekhyun has to say that she is rather beautiful, although very familiar. She seems to be in her late forties, if the wrinkles on her face are anything to go by. 

"Uhm, hello," he says lamely, narrowing his eyes at the woman and cocking his head to the side while looking at her with confusion. He is sure that this is the first time meeting the woman because while she looks familiar, Baekhyun truly can't remember ever talking to her or being introduced to her. "How can I help you?"

But before the woman can answer, Baekhyun's eyes widen in realization when he finally remembers why the woman looks so familiar. 

"Oh my god," Baekhyun yelps, immediately bowing deeply, a perfect ninety-degrees bow. At this moment, he is really glad that instead of wearing an oversize shirt and hiding under the blankets to shield himself from the cold, he actually put on sweatpants for this chilly April evening because if he stood without any pants on in front of Chanyeol's mother, it would surely be the end of him. 

Baekhyun knows that it's Chanyeol's mother because not so long ago Chanyeol showed Baekhyun a picture of her, the one he took of her when they were in Japan last year. At that time, Baekhyun told Chanyeol that his mother is very beautiful, but her eyes are what stands out the most. These eyes gave her away now too... because they are Chanyeol's eyes, and Baekhyun knows them very well.

Collecting himself, Baekhyun straightens again, biting into his lip from nervousness of what to do next. Should he offer her to come in? Should he introduce himself even though she probably knows who he is already, judging by the fact that she is standing in front of his apartment this very moment?

Why is she even here?

"My name's Park Hyori, but I suppose you already know who I am," she says with a chuckle, most likely pointing at the perfect bow Baekhyun gited her with a second ago. There is a powerful aura around her, but it's completely different to Chanyeol's father. When he was standing in front of Chanyeol's father, he felt scared the second the man introduced himself, the atmosphere too tense and suffocating. But with Chanyeol's mother, it just feels diferent.

"N-Nice to meet you," Baekhyun stutters out. "I'm Byun Baekhyun," he introduces himself even though there is really no need, his identity surely known already. "U-Uhm.. Would you like to come in?"

As Baekhyun opens the door wider and steps to the side to leave the entrance open, he casts his eyes downwards, unable to look the woman in the eyes. Maybe she isn't as scary as her husband, but there is still something about her that makes Baekhyun wary. Chanyeol mentioned that when she gets angry than world should fear, and he really doesn't want to take any chances.

With the sound of her heels hitting the floor, Hyori steps into Baekhyun's apartment, and when Baekhyun is sure that she is standing far enough from the door, he closes it quietly. The door handle is slippery when he lets go, and Baekhyun wonders how could his hands get so sweaty in such a short amount of time. 

"Should I hang your coat for you?" Baekhyun asks politely, rubbing his hands against his sweatpants in order to make them dry again. He finally looks at the woman again, their eyes meeting for a second before Baekhyun looks away again. Why is it that he can't look at her for longer than a one millisecond? 

"It's okay," she says and starts taking it off herself, but she does ask Baekhyun to hold her bag in the meantime. Baekhyun nods eagerly, taking the bag carefully in his hands, holding it with utmost care, knowing he would probably have to sell his flat in order to buy a new one if something happened to it. 

Hyori hangs her coat and takes her bag back, thanking Baekhyun politely. "I came to talk a little," she states, her tone neutral, not giving anything away. Baekhyun wonders if it's a good sign or not, remembering the icy tone Chanyeol's father used on him when they met. "Can I have a seat... somewhere?" 

Immediately, Baekhyun feels horrible not only because he forgot to offer Mrs. Park a seat, but also because the only place she can be seated are the ty wooden chairs in the kitchen slash dining room slash living room. "Of course," even though he feels terribly bad, he leads her to the chairs and pulls one out for her, quickly getting rid of the unclean plate that's been on the table since breakfast. 

He dares to glance at the woman as she sits down, and he isn't even surprised to see her judging look she gives his flat as she looks around. Baekhyun swears he never felt as bad about the way he lives as he's feeling now. Not even when Chanyeol was here for the first time, no kidding. 

"Would you like something to drink? Water, coffee, tea?" Baekhyun asks, playing with his fingers while waiting for answer. Slowly, Mrs. Park makes eye-contact with him, most likely done with judging what she is able to see of Baekhyun's apartment. This is so embarrassing, he thinks, wanting to just disappear forever. Hyori must feel rather uncomfortable too, sitting in a hole that is Baekhyun's home. 

"Water is fine, thank you," she says and adds a smile, as if she sensed Baekhyun's extreme nervousness and embarrassment and wanted to calm him down, non-verbally telling him that he should just calm down. Baekhyun truly wonders if everyone in Park family is a mind-reader.

With a nod, Baekhyun turns and pulls a glass out of the cupboard, filling with it water, making sure it's not too cold, not wanting to be responsible for Hyori's possible flu. His thoughts are racing as he puts the glass of water in front of Chanyeol's mother, but he tries to play it cool. His slightly shaking hands are probably giving him away though.

There is a moment of silence as Hyori takes a few gulps of the water, leaving Baekhyun internally freaking out as he tries to come up with a good reason why she's here. The only thing that is clear is that she came to talk about Chanyeol, but what exactly does she have in mind? Will she threaten him too? Will she just tell him to stay away or speak about how not-good-enough he is for someone like Chanyeol?

Honestly, Baekhyun isn't mentally ready for any of those, but he guesses he can't just run away. And so, the brunet tries to be patient while waiting for the woman to speak, playing with his fingers in the meantime and hoping it will calm him down a little.

After what seems like forever, Chanyeol's mother speaks. "What are your intentions with my son?" she asks, looking up from her glass and locking eyes with Baekhyun again.

Baekhyun would laugh if he could because this looks like exactly the one scene from a movie that he was making fun of a week ago, but the laughter dies in his throat the second he even thinks about it. Last week he laughed at it whole-heartedly, but now the situation isn't that funny.

"Well," Baekhyun starts lamely. He doesn't really know how to answer. Chanyeol's mother must know that they are - or are supposed be - together, so he doesn't have to play the very good friends card, but somehow it makes it harder. Taking a deep breath, Baekhyun quickly creates a sentence in his head, "Date him, I guess?" wow, so great Baekhyun, he thinks and mentally facepalms himself. Could he be even more pathetic? "I mean, be with him...? Just... spend time with him."

His safe isn't the best in the world, but the words he has spoken are true. Baekhyun just wants to be with Chanyeol, hold him and kiss him, feeling his touch. However, the other things aren't for her ears, so he decided to cut his answer rather short but very clear. 

"Is that so?" she lifts her brow at Baekhyun, her eyes telling the brunet that the answer isn't as long as she most likely expected, and also completely not enough. "Are you, maybe, after his money? I've heard that you have quite a debt to pay."

Until now, Baekhyun was nervous, and maybe a bit scared. However now, when Hyori practically asked him if he is not a gold-diggers who is using Chanyeol and is with him only for his money, he suddenly feels more frustrated than nervous. Why is it always like that? Why are poor people always considered as gold-diggers when they are in a relationship with someone rich? Is money the only thing people think about these days?

"I'm not," Baekhyun clarifies, frowning. "I don't care about his money at all," his voice is surprisingly steady this time, and he guesses it's because of the anger that he's trying to keep inside of himself. It would be rather inappropriate if he raised his tone at Mrs. Park, and it would most likely be the death of him too. He has to make a good impression. "Until now, I've been paying the debt by myself. I'm capable of paying it off on my own."

"Wouldn't it be easier to just ask Chanyeol, though? Why don't you do it?" she questions him, scanning his face for every emotions that flashes there. 

"Because it's my duty, not Chanyeol's," Baekhyun answers truthfully. Yes, of course it would be easier with Chanyeol's money, and the CEO wouldn't even mind at all, but this is something Baekhyun has to do. "I wouldn't want Chanyeol to just give me the money, it wouldn't be right."

Chanyeol's mother looks honestly surprised at the answer, but she also looks rather pleased. Baekhyun wants to congratulate himself for actually saying something that is not dumb and makes sense, but he feels like it's too early to celebrate.

"Are you aware that Chanyeol's popularity can drop really rapidly if people find out that you two are in a relationship? Do you know how big of an impact it would have our company, too?" she shoots another question at Baekhyun, clearly not having problem with going straight to the point, not beating around the bush. Baekhyun isn't even surprised that much, knowing from Chanyeol that Hyori is a lawyer, a very good one at that. Baekhyun can see her kicking butts in court, but being on the receiving end of those questions is rather unpleasant. 

Plus, this question hits a little too close to home. 

Of course he is aware that he is a problem. Not only he's a man, but also is poor as , if he says so himself. He knows that people would give them looks if they knew that Chanyeol and Baekhyun are together. He knows that Chanyeol's popularity can get really bad, and that the company can suffer because of Baekhyun too. There is no way he can ever forget that, since these thoughts always find him when he's falling asleep alone. 

Still, "I know. And Chanyeol is aware of it too, but he said that he knows what he's doing," Baekhyun says. "And I believe him."

His voice doesn't carry a hint of hesitation, and Chanyeol's mother senses it too. When she takes another gulp of the water, Baekhyun can see her smiling slightly into the glass. Baekhyun is left slightly worries because he doesn't know if the small smile meant that he is making a good impression or if it's some kind of perfectly practiced sarcastic smile. Baekhyun hopes for the first option.

"Do you really trust him that much?"

Baekhyun, despite this being a very serious situation, laughs quietly. "I try," he breathes out with a smile lingering on his lips. "It's hard sometimes, he can have really stupid ideas."

"That's very true," Hyori agrees with him, putting the glass back down. "And he is rather stubborn too. When he wants something, he will not let go that easily."

Baekhyun wonders if her words have some deeper meaning, but if the way she is looking at Baekhyun again, they probably have. As seconds pass, Baekhyun doesn't feel the need to look away from her eyes anymore. Maybe because the longer he stares into them, the more of Chanyeol he sees in them. Baekhyun has always admired Chanyeol's pretty shape eyes, and now when he's looking at the CEO's mother, he actually wants to thank her for having such beautiful eyes that Chanyeol was able to inherit. 

"It's rather late, so I don't want to bother you for much longer," Hyori says, looking at her watch on her thin wrist. "I just need to ask one more question," pointedly looking at the brunet, she her head to the side, boring her brown orbs into Baekhyun's once again, and Baekhyun can't help but feel that this eye-contact is much more intense than the ones before. "Do you love my son?"

"Yes," Baekhyun answers without hesitation, which seems to shock Chanyeol's mother for a moment. However, Baekhyun doesn't feel surprised by himself for answering so quickly. 

Baekhyun was unsure about it months ago, but after every thing that has happened from that time until now, Baekhyun doesn't have any doubts about his feelings anymore. He came to terms with his love for Chanyeol a long time ago, he was just afraid to actually be with him. Things changed, though. 

Some people would think that Baekhyun doesn't truly love Chanyeol if they knew he was going to break up with him to protect other people, but what he did wasn't because he didn't love Chanyeol enough. He loves him too much, but sometimes love is not enough, especially not in this world. He tried to break up with Chanyeol because he knew that at this rate, sooner or later Chanyeol's parents would break them apart. At that time, Baekhyun didn't know that Chanyeol would really stand up for them.

"I see," she brings the glass to her lips again, gulping down the last remains of water, thanking Baekhyun afterwards. There is another moment of silence and Baekhyun wonders if he should just get rid of the glass on the table in the meantime, but as soon as he reaches for the glass, the seemingly emotionless voice of Chanyeol's mother pierces the quietness. "Chanyeol can be really naive at times, and I thought you just made him fall for you with your pretty face to get money out of him," she says, and Baekhyun frowns once again. He doesn't say anything, though. "But looking at you, you don't look like a gold-digger to me."

"...Thank you?"

"Still, I'm not happy that the person he took interest in is you. It's really inconvenient. However, I love my son and if he really... wants to be with you, I know I won't talk him out of it," Baekhyun can see that the woman is clearly not happy with what she's saying, probably coming to terms with it just now also, leaving a very surprised Baekhyun to fully comprehend her words. "I don't want to approve of this relationship, but if I don't want to lose my son, I don't see any other way," she continues, and Baekhyun blinks at her, eyes wide. Is she really saying what Baekhyun thinks she's saying? "I came here to see what kind of person you are, and it would be a lot easier if you were truly a gold-digger. This just makes it all complicated. I guess we can't do anything about it."

Then, she stands up slowly, pushing the chair back in the place. She starts walking toward the door, and Baekhyun follows her like a puppy, eyes still wide, mind not being able to process what he's hearing. Is this really Chanyeol's mother giving them a green light? What is this? Two days ago he was being threatened and now Chanyeol's mother is saying that if they want to be together, there is nothing she can do about it? Does her husband know about this?

Giving her bag to Baekhyun once again while she puts on the coat, she continues, "For your own good, I suggest you won't change your opinion on things."

"I don't think I will," Baekhyun manages to say, giving the bag back to Hyori when her coat is buttoned up. He might be answering, but he doesn't even fully realize it, still in shock. There is still one part of Baekhyun thinking that he's dreaming and this isn't happening, simply because it's too good to be real. 

When Chanyeol told Baekhyun that his parents would never support his decision, Baekhyun expected both of his parents to be like Chanyeol's father. But then, here is Chanyeol's mother, not being exactly supportive but still accepting their relationship. Did Chanyeol talk to her too? He knows that Chanyeol wanted to talk to his father, but judging by what's happening, maybe Chanyeol talked to her too?

Little does Baekhyun know that neither Chanyeol's father nor Chanyeol talked to her. It wasn't needed, since she was able to hear everything as she stood just outside the door the whole time, listening to the conversation until the last few seconds. 

"That's good," Hyori says, turning toward the door and opening it without waiting for Baekhyun to do it for her. As she walks out of Baekhyun's apartment, she yawns, covering with her small hand. Baekhyun guesses that she must be tired, even though she pretended to be completely fine the whole time. "Out of all people that Chanyeol could like," she looks Baekhyun up and down, and while her gaze isn't supposed to be judging in any way, Baekhyun still doesn't like it. "You seem to not be that bad."

With that said, she turns around, ready to walk away. "Goodbye, Byun Baekhyun," she bids his a farewell as he takes the first step, and even though she won't see it, Baekhyun bows the same way like before, perfect ninety degrees. He straightens up after a few seconds as the sound of Chanyeol's mother's heels starts fading, but the shock is still written all of his face. 

Did that just happen? 

Out of all the possibilities of how could end this day, Baekhyun was not prepared for this. The whole encounter lasted maybe ten minutes, but those ten minutes were enough to make his heart beat rapidly because of the uncontainable happiness.

Maybe not everything is as black as Baekhyun thought it is.   

 

--

 

A/N: to make it clear 

- chanyeol's father did what he did on purpose, knowing it will wreck the relationship with time. yes he is an .

- chanyeol's mother doesn't exactly like baekhyun, it's just that he accepts him. and since she knows that chanyeol truly loves baekhyun, she is trying to accept it. but for her to accept it, she needed to see baekhyun irl to judge him herself (lol that sounds bad but yea)