The Thing About Surprises

Perfectly Imperfect

The is a new chapter before this one so please check that out as well. I also want to thank those who subsribed and those that commented, it reall y means a lot to me to see people like what I write.

Happy Reading. :) :))))))))

 

 

 

“Life is full of surprises, but the biggest one of all is learning what it takes to handle them.”-Deborah Wiles

 

Lee Soojung could be in her warm bedroom in her cozy bed, snuggle up to the teddy bear she pretends she hasn’t slept with since she was twelve, but instead she is seated across from Namjoon in a cafe at seven p.m.

Namjoon takes a sip of his strawberry smoothie before he speaks, “I have something to tell you.”

“About Soyul?”

“About Soyul,” Namjoon says taking a sip of his smoothie, “She i-.”

Soojung cuts him off, “She is your girlfriend. I know.” Reaching into her black messenger bag, she takes out a letter and slides it over to him, “You left that at my house. I suggest you stop carrying it around with you.”

Grabbing the letter, Namjoon looks up at her, “I see that you read it.”

“I was curious,” Soojung shrugs

“Have you heard of privacy?” He sounds almost angry.

“Sorry,” She says but she isn’t all that sorry. “Are we done?” She grabs her bag and stand up.

“You don’t want to know anything about her?” Namjoon stand up as well.

“No Joon, I don't want to know about the girl you are in love with.” Soojung turns on her heels and walks out, the chimes on the door ringing behind her.

Namjoon slams a twenty on the table and runs after her. When he sees her, he catches up to her and grabs her hand. “What is your problem?”
“I have no clue as to what you mean?” She stares at her shoes, trying to ignore the chills running through her body when he held her hands, “I know about Soyul and you are in love with her. I understand.”

“Come on Soojung,” He says letting go of her hand, “I just want your support.”

Soojung turns away from him, wipes at her eyes, and says “If you wanted my support you should have told me sooner.”

Watching her walk away, Namjoon wonders why it hurts so much to see her go further and further away from him when she has always been there for him.


 

Nothing like a heartbreak at seven in the morning. Nothing like a heartbreak in the form of a girl walking out of the room belonging to the boy you have been in love for almost three years, in nothing but his sweater.

Myungeun is frozen when she sees her, tall, beautiful with her hair in a lazy bun as she walks out of Seokjin’s room.

Myungeun knows who she is. She knows her, not personally but she knows of her.

Because who doesn’t know Kim Soojung, South Korea’s It Girl Actress with the million of fanboys and fangirls. The same girl rumour to be dating Kim Seokjin. The same girl dressed in the sweater Myungeun bought for Seokjin’s birthday last year.

“Good morning,” Soojung breaks the stare off, “Are you Jiyeon?”

Myungeun doesn’t speak a word, she just shakes her head afraid that if she does speak she could and would break down. 

“Soojung, did you find the bathroom,” Seokjin voice says before appearing out of his room. “Oh, good morning Myungeun.”
“I forgot about the bathroom,” Soojung says, planting a quick kiss on his cheek as he continues to stare at Myungeun, “I thought she was your sister.”

Seokjin smiles, “Nope. Jiyeon is much shorter, but I guess Myungeun is like my sister.”
“Nice to meet you,” Soojung smiles.

“Likewise.” Myungeun smiles back.

Soojung realizing she still needs to use the bathroom rushes towards it leaving the other two in silence.

“Do you like her?” Seokjin finally speaks

“Does my opinion matter?”

“Yeah,” Seokjin says, “It matters to me.”

“Well, it shouldn’t.” Myungeun says.

Before he can retort back, Jiyeon’s bedroom door opens up and Myungeun is dragged away from him and downstairs.

“I send you a text.” Jiyeon says, not letting go until they are standing in front of the bus stop.

“Why didn’t you tell me?”

Jiyeon runs her hands through her hair, “I found out last night. That's why I told you not to come to the house this morning.”

“How long?”

“Eight months.”

Myungeun smile is bittersweet, “I am glad he is happy.”

“But you aren’t.”

The bus rolls up, and Myungeun doesn’t say anything as she climbs on and taps her pass, Jiyeon following after her. She doesn’t say anything even when they take their usual seat in the back. She doesn’t speak a word even when the bus stops and Sujeong and Yein climb on. Nor does she speak when Yein sits next to her and Sujeong next to Jiyeon.

She is fine.

Myungeun is fine and the tears rolling down her face and wetting her hands as she tries to stop them, are just fragments of the other girls’ imagination. But no one speaks, instead Jiyeon rubs Myungeun’s back because words were not needed, not right now.

 

Yoo Jiae despite her always stoic face, loves school and not because that's the only time she gets to see her friends (seeing them less is a wish she has never gotten because with them around, life will never be quiet). She loves school simply because she hates being at home where she constantly feels suffocated and because at school she gets to learn something new and put others in their place, whereas at home, she is stripped of that privilege.

Yoo Jiae loves school.

She can handle her classmates and her excited friends-Lee Mijoo, Jung Hoseok and Seo Jisoo.

She can handle the school festival. Even that stupid Kissing Booth she is in charge of this year.

She can handle all of that.

But no way in hell can she handle this.

 

Min Yoongi in the flesh and blood seated in front of the Headmaster's desk, strolling through his phone. Though he is facing away from him, she knows his back. The last part of him she saw when he walked away a year ago.

And for once in her life, Jiae wants to defy an adult. But before she can turn on her heels and walk away from the office, away from the boy with the mint hair, the principal notices her presence and calls her name.

“Yoo Jiae.” The Headmaster says, but the male does not turn around.

“Sorry if I am late, Headmaster Lee.” She hears herself say in the voice saved for when speaking to an adult.

“You are right on time.” Mrs.Lee says, then motioning to Yoongi she says, “He will be djing the dance next week and I need you to give him the rules and what songs can and cannot be played. You too know each other so I see no need for an introduction.”

“Not to be rude, but why was I call in? Soojung-ah is usually in charge of this?”

Mrs.Lee frowns, “It appears my daughter is either late or isn’t coming in today.”

“Seo Jisoo then?” Jiae suggests

This time Yoongi is the one that responds as he stands up and finally looks at the girl whose heart he broke a year ago. “I think it's best I work with Jisoo as well.”

“She is currently unavailable at this moment and will be for another two others. She has practice all morning and you, Mr.Min told me you have class in three hours.”

Jiae makes one last attempt, “I am not a member of the student council so I am unaware of what the rules are and the music suggestion.”

“I know my daughter talks to you about everything and I know you two work on it together.” Mrs.Lee is quick to respond, smiling as though she had just won the lottery.

“I see.” Jiae sighs, then turns away from both of them mumbling under her breath, “Lets get this over with.”

“What was that, Mrs.Yoo?” Mrs.Lee questions

“I said follow me, Mr.Min.” Jiae says and walks out, Yoongi following after her.

“Do I really get a kiss by paying 5731 won?” He breaks the silence.

“Sure,” Jiae says, “But I rather kiss a frog than kiss you.”

“If I remember correctly, you couldn’t get enough of my lips.” He grins.

“Used to.” Jiae glares at him, “I didn't used to be able to get enough of kissing you.”

His grin slides off his face and they are back to silence. The uncomfortable kind of silence that has never form between them ever.

“So you are going to let random dudes kiss you?”

“Yeah, its for a good cause, “ She says opening door of the room belonging to the student council, “And it won't be just dudes.” Is added when he walks in.

“Didn't know you swung that way, Moonmin?” He drops onto the couch.

“Don't call me that?”

His lips curved into a frown, as she sits next to him leaving as much space as she can on the too small couch, “Are you sleeping well.”

“That would be none of your business.” She picks up her bag she had left earlier in the room when she was taking a schedule thirty minutes nap.

“I was just curious,” He says, reaching for her chin, turning her face to his direction, “I can tell when you haven't been sleeping.”

Releasing her head out of his grip, her voice is almost cold when she says, “Fascinating, but I believe this meeting was meant to inform you of the dos and don'ts and what music can and cannot be played not whether or not I am sleeping well, which isn't really any of your business anymore since you walked out of my life.”

“We made a choice together.” He frowns.

“No we didn't,” She turns to him, “You talked and I listen. Now I am going to speak and you are going to listen.Okay?”

“Okay.”


 

After practicing one last time, Jisoo and Yein make their way out of the dance studio towards the auditorium already hearing the loud cheers. When they finally walk through the doors of the auditorium, they can see why girls are screaming. 3J- Hoseok, Jimin and Jungkook-just walked on the stage.

Yein thinks the name is stupid.

Jisoo thinks it's cute. But then again anything involving Jung Hoseok is cute and adorable to Seo Jisoo, everything is just simply adorable and charming until he begins to dance.

Jung Hoseok plus dancing equals a crime. Seo Jisoo at this point despises math even more.

“Unnie, close your mouth.” Yein voice snaps her out of her not so pure thoughts.

“He is smiling,” Jisoo says

Yein rolls her eyes, “He smiles all the time.”

“That's not any smile,” Jisoo eyes is stuck on the stage, where Hoseok is currently in the center, doing what he does best-ruining Jisoo’s life- his smile never leaving his face. Before the performance ends, Yein is dragging her backstage because they are next.

When the boys performance ends, the is loud cheering as they walk backstage as well, smiles on their face.

“Hey Jisoo, di.” Hoseok stops short taking in his younger sister and girlfriend’s choice of clothing, “What are you two wearing?”

“Do you have pants under that, noona.” Jungkook questions Jisoo. She was like an older sister, one that needed to be protected at all times.

Jisoo rolls her eyes but doesn’t comment, doesn’t smack Jungkook’s head when she catches him staring at Yein’s legs for too long (Hoseok does that instead).

“Ouch, hyung.”
“Stop staring at my babysister like that.” Hoseok replies just as the girls are called up onto the stage.

“Please welcome, YESOO.”

“Wish us luck.” Jisoo says as they both make their way onto the stage, microphone in hand.

“Oh man holy .” Jungkook jaws drop when the performance reaches the middle.

Jimin is the only one not affected, so he turns to Hoseok,“I thought you said it was just singing.” but the older boy is frozen staring straight at Jisoo.

“I thi-.” Hoseok begins but before the rest of the words leaves his mouth, he falls down onto his back and does not move.

“Do you think he’s  dead.” Jimin says to Jungkook, poking Hoseok’s arm.

“I think I am dead.” Jungkook answers, eyes fixated on the stage, most importantly on Yein.

Jimin shakes his head.

This happens all the time.Hoseok does something. Jisoo retaliates and Hoseok faints. Jimin should be used to this.

He really should.