CHAPTER 4: Overheard

Behind the Curtain
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jungkook

 

Today is the start of the rehearsals. We're going to have a script reading and analysis to help us with characterization. I should be excited since this is what I have always wanted and prayed for for three years, but instead, today I dread it. 

Ever since I overheard Orange and SinB's conversation two nights ago, all motivation inside my body got completely out. I don't want to admit it, but I feel really hopeless. I feel like whatever I do won't be satisfactory. At least for her. Normally, I wouldn't mind because I don't really give a about her. But she's the playwright. She owns the play; she created it. So her thoughts matter no matter how much I hate it.

Ha. Positive thoughts, I need positive thoughts.

Okay, I got to think of two things. 

One, I'll see my girlfriend, uhm stage girlfriend but who knows heh. Just thinking about Lisa lifts the corners of my lips. Her cheeks that bulge every time she smiles, I just want to pinch them. Now I can't wait to go to CoA and see her.

Two, I got to it and get through this debut showcase if I want the opportunity to audition on the major production that's going to be written by Ji-yong seonsaeng-nim.

 

I arrive at the rehearsal hall an hour earlier than the schedule to make a better impression to everyone. It's not related at all at Orange's comment that I'm tardy, just for the record. I check out the area and notice that it's only the stage managers that are here already.

"Oh, you're early," SinB checks her watch as she sees me. "Just sign in the attendance. Jisoo, kindly help him."

One of the assistant stage managers (ASM) then, the lady, was frantically looking for a pen and the attendance sheet I guess, her hands above her head. The other ASM then calmly takes out both of those items and says, "I got it Jisoo." Then he hands me both and guides me on what I need to do.

"Thanks Jin, I don't know what I'd do without you," she grins like a puppy to the guy who ruffles her hair in response.

"And I don't know what I'd do to myself if I see you flirting 24/7," SinB mutters, cringing at the sight of the couple. "Anyway," she focuses on me once again, "you got your own script and pencil or do you want to borrow?"

"Oh I'm good," I bring out my script and pencil from my bag and show her.

"Mmm, not bad. Well, there's still a lot of time left, you can go somewhere else if you want to. Just come back five minutes before 3 o'clock."

"Nah, I'll just read the script while waiting," I sit down on the chair with my name on it and settle my bag on the floor.

 

A bit later, people begin to arrive and finally, the person I want to see comes in and takes a seat beside me.

"Annyeong Lisa," I say while I reposition myself into facing her.

"Annyeong Jungkook," she giggles.

"So are you excited?" I ask, trying to start a conversation.

"Are you making fun of me? You know my role doesn't have a single line."

Oops. . "No. Sorry I forgot. I didn't mean to offend you. To be honest, I just wanted to talk to you and that just happened to be the first question that popped to my mind. I'm sorry Lisa, really sorry."

"It's okay. I know you didn't mean it," she smiles, however she still looks a little hurt in my opinion. "So how about you? Bet you are excited."

"Not really. To be honest, I don't wa--"

"Okay guys. Time check, it's 2:55 in the afternoon!" SinB speaks in a very loud voice making the room silent in just a second. "I see that everyone's here already, that's great. The complete artistic team has arrived as well and they'll introduce themselves to you one by one so listen up."

And so they came in and told their names individually. (I'm only going to introduce the ones that matter)

"Annyeong yeorobun!" A guy with pink hair who seems to be full of energy greets us. "I'm Hobi and this is my partner Jimin," a short guy waves at us. "We're the choreographers for this show. I hope we all get along."

Another shortie then goes, raising his right hand for just a second, "Min Yoongi, in-charge of music."

"Hi guys. What's up?" A catlike lady speaks in English that's heavily accented like she lived abroad. "Jennie Kim imnida, and I'm going to design your costumes!"

"Jessica, your associate director," she winks at us. I see from my peripheral SinB rolling her eyes.

"And I'm Bang Si Hyuk Gamdog-nim. Let's all get along."

We all clap our hands thinking the introduction has ended since no one was talking anymore. We wait for what's next when SinB breaks the silence, "uhm, Rosé."

Orange then looks at SinB, confused on why she called her. SinB then gestures for her to introduce herself.

"Oh but uhm I did that already last week. But ugh okay fine," she adds when SinB sends her a dagger look. "Again, hello, I'm Rosé. I hope we, uh, have fun reading the script. If you have questions, clarifications or anything, I'm here all day." She then bows to all of us.

The artistic team then take their seats. How unlucky am I that she just happens to take the seat across me. This is gonna be a long day.
    

Far from what I expected, the rehearsal is proceeding without a problem. Despite my prior disinterest in the role, reading the script with everyone makes me realize how fun it is to be Roy. In fact, it was just comfortable and natural to me.

While I was on my long monologue part, I take a glimpse across and see her talking with the directors. I almost choke on my words as I read her lips. This must be an illusion. She nods while speaking, "Nomu joha. It's perfect."

 

Rosé


"Nomu joha," I tell the directors, surprised by how much I really like it. "It's perfect." He's perfect. But I won't tell anyone that.

Initially, I didn't want to cast Jungkook as Roy. It was too predictable, too nothing out of the ordinary. And I hated stereotypes. And he didn't want Roy too. That's why I felt really bad when I got outvoted during the casting meeting. I was the only one who supported him (not that the others knew how much he didn't want the main role); I was the only one who picked him as Caleb. Everyone was like, "Believe us Rosé, it was like Roy was a real human being. His audition just exuded Roy even though he was trying out for a different role."

Right then, I couldn't argue with them and gave up. It's true I didn't have the time to watch the auditions. I was meeting with the condominium lessor that day and it ended later than I anticipated. On the way to CoA, I messaged SinB and asked her how many auditionees were still in line. She quickly replied that there were at least five left.

Sigh.

I was even really looking forward to it but I guess I'll just join the artistic team meeting.

Once I got there, I decided to just pass time in the waiting area (because I didn't want to be impolite and distract everyone if I suddenly barge inside the audition hall). I sat at the very last row beside a guy who seemed to be sleeping. I waved my hand over his face just to be sure; seems like he's in a deep trance. Getting bored, I put on my headphones and listen to Tori Kelly.

However, I got more antsy instead. So what did I do? I decided to study the guy beside me, wondering what role he's going for.

Oh.

How good-looking.

His dark brown hair fell handsomely to his eyes. His nose is quite big but amazingly still angular (I want to touch it). His parted lips looked like it was smiling even though that was not the case.

How cute.

Uhm, I mean as a playwright, I think he's cute that he should be part of the cast. Uh, no, cute that he'd be perfect for the role-- Ugh. Okay fine, I admit. He's really handsome with those defined cheekbones and awesome jawline...

I should stop (before I, uh, drool).    

But really, I wonder who he's going to audition for. I hope not Roy 'ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter