The Beginning

Black Raven, White Tiger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"Hmmm... hmmm..." I can feel the smooth fabric on my feet. I stretched my body once more and turned around. It was such an adrenaline rushing dream.

"Miss..." i heard a voice calling me. "Miss..." she said again.

"No..." i said slothfully. 

"Miss it's time for your bath. You have a train to catch."

I sat up immediately with my hair that of a bird's nest. "Bring me my food." I ordered my chamber maid. 

I checked my clock to see that it was only 5 in the morning. But I only have 30 minutes to prepare.

I quickly showered for 7 minutes. Once I was finish showering, a maid is waiting for me to dry me up. "Just go prepare my food." Father provided me with a lavish life. It was a compensation for not growing up with a mother. Mother died when I was born and as a compensation for a maternal love, he provided me with maids that would look after me.

I quickly grabbed a bite of sandwich and gulp a glass of freshly squeezed orange. "I will miss this." I mumbled. 

I saw tears from my maids' eyes. "We will miss you so much." One said.

"Yaaahhh... I will be back after I finish college. Or I can tell papa to send you to the west so you can live with me." I smiled a them warmly. They are truly a family to my. Papa is hardly home. He was a general and has long retired from his duties so he spend most of his time playing golf or traveling to the west.

As part of the segregation system, a female driver drove me to the train station. Along the way I could see morning joggers. The females on the left side and the makes on the other side. This kingdom is a kingdom of rules. Sure it is safe here. One little mistake could lead to death of the offenders. Try stealing a banana from the market and your hand could be cut off.

The country is divided into three kingdoms: 

Bulgeumyong, the biggest of three kingdoms. They are considered as the most influential kingdom. They are modern and practices the western way. 

Galgamagwi, the strongest kingdom. They house the strongest army in the country. They are considered as the deadliest and mischievous kingdom and rumor has it that the Queen is the key player of the kingdom.

Huinholangi, the safest kingdom. This is where I live. It is considered as the safest for many but truth is, this is a kingdom governed by laws and patriarchal ruling. They also practices segregation. Men are separated from women. The unmarried are separated from the married. The house ranking is divided into the laborers, the artists, the religious, the military and the noble regardless of the status. A physician is on the same rank as the farmer. They both belong to the rank of laborers. An actor is of the same level as a street painter. A soldier is of same rank as the royal council. The only group of people on a different rank is the royal family. 

There is also a governing law for marriage. A male can marry anyone may it be the same rank or anyone with a lower income regardless of rank. But a female can only marry a male of the same rank or any high-earning rank. Intermarriages from other kingdoms is also not allowed for females but is allowed for males. That means, a man of Huinholangi may marry a peasant from another kingdom and that woman will rise into whatever her husband's rank is. On the other hand, a woman of Huinholangi can never marry a man from another kingdom and will be considered as peasant and must banish from the kingdom even if the husband is of noble blood.

We passed by a university. It is mandatory for all newly graduates of highschool to get into admission into university. The kids of the same age as I am were lined outside of the university gate. Boys separated from girls. This is an important change for anyone. 

Ranks can only be changed ones. That is in university. After graduating highschool, they must qualify in a certain university and there they may apply for change of rank. But the changing of ranks will still depend on the decision of the committee. The only rank that cannot be changed from and to is the noble rank. They are born and will live in that rank for the rest of their lives. The only exemption to the rule is the Royal family. They may purse a noble rank and another rank as they please. Especially for the prince or the king, they may enter military to strengthen their strategic knowledge.

And as for me, Papa will send me to the west. That's the advantage of patriarchal ruling. If your father is of modern thinking or way of life, he may choose to send you outside of the country to study but when you go back to the kingdom, the your rank is still the same. As for me, I plan on studying International Law as he advised me although I would really love to be in the arts. Once I come back to the Kingdom, I am still of military rank.

Papa said that it will be too much to send me to military because I am a female. 

"You travel so lightly Miss." said by driver. She lifted one piece of luggage off the trunk.

"Advantage of being trained the military way." I winked at her.

She smiled back at me. She handed me an envelope. "Here's your travel documents. Master Kim asks you to call him when you arrive their." She said to me in the stiffest way. She has been my driver for as long as I can remember. She was a soldier and Papa handpicked her to be my driver and guard. She is one loyal woman.

"When I get back. I want to see you happily married." I told her and gave her a warm hug. She didn't move and struggled to the tightness of my hugging.

I looked at her and she turned red. "You will never be a military because you are short." She teased. It was the first time I saw her smile that widely. 

"I will miss you too Gilda." I called her by her first name, for the first time.

She stood up straight and salute. She was suppressing a tear. Then I turned around and entered the station.

 


As I entered the train station I look around. I check on my travel details and found the gate number. Gate number 7. I stood under the sign saying seven.

I looked around me. I searched left and right. I turned around looking at the entrance and found no signs of Gilda.

I smiled evily. "Sorry Papa." 

I hurriedly went to the rest room and hid inside a cubicle. I placed my luggage on top of the toilet and opened it. Inside is only a few pieces of clothes that I will wear and a few books and my school documents.

I hurriedly changed my clothes. 

I went to the baggage section where I can leave my luggage for a while.

"Please claim your baggage within 24 hours." He said. 

"Sure." I smiled at him and carried a purse which only contains my family certificate and and high school certificate.

I sneak out of the station and found a cab. 

"To the Royal University please." I told the lady driver.

"Congratulations!" She smiled warmly at me. "What rank do you like?" She asked. She started driving.

"I want Arts." I smiled at her warmly.

She smiled at me as I can see from the rearview mirror.

"That's what you want. But was is your rank?" She asked.

"You will never believe." I said to her. My heart is gilled with joy thinking that I will be making a huge leap. In time I will be a singer or a pianist. I'll do well in the arts.

"A military." She said confidently. She grinned as she spoke. "Good idea, female soldiers are goliaths. You wont like it there." 

I frowned at her as a joke. "I'm short I know. But I got skills." I bragged at her.

"They will make you wash dishes there." She said. 

I felt embarrassed with wha she said. Sure I am short. But I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter