Fire By Fire

Black Raven, White Tiger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

BLACK RAVEN: 

The Queen clenched her fist and pound on the table. She pound it so hard that the ironwood almost cracked.

"How sure are you?" She asked. Her eyes are shaking in anger. The veins are all red and seemed like it will rupture.

"Your highness..." the palace laboratory scientist bowed. "I am one hundred percent sure your highness."

"That bastard." She grabbed her knife and struck it on the table. "Prepare to attack." She said to the chief commander of her army. "My patience wont last a hundred days."

"Your highness." The adviser stopped her. "It will jeopardize our plan. We are not ready until the hundredth day. Our army will not be that strong."

She turned to him and glare. "Do we need a motivation?" She asked.

The adviser stopped and wondered.

"Who does the army serve?" She asked.

The adviser bowed his head confused. "The Queen, you highness."

"Yes." She said. "Who will they protect?" 

The adviser raised his head. She got everyone's attention. 

"Your highness, dont tell me-"

"Prepare the armor." She stood up and everyone stood up and bowed. "I will lead this battle." 

 


YOOJUNG

I'm getting better and better. The scars are gone and it felt like my body is back to how it used to be. Bogum fed me with wild ginseng everyday.

He would sneak to my room from time to time and bring the tea to me. 

He took care of me until I was well.

The first thing we did was ride horses and taught me how to shot an arrow while on it.

We live in a modern world where guns are modern ammunitions are the best defense. But in times of attack, we had to fight silently. 

Guns produces loud sounds. If we fight using swords and arrows, we will startle the enemy.

Galgamagwi is a kingdom known to be oldschool. They use swords, knife, arrows in the battle. They dont attack loudly. You only know that they're attacking when they are already there. Their queen is a strategist. She knows her enemies too well. 

History said that the Galgamagwi was the smallest kingdom back then. But ever since the Queen got the throne, seh conquered small towns therefore expanding her kingdom.

It was said that Galgamagwi is a cool icy place. And as the kingdom expands, so is the winter. Her heart is so cold that even the climate succumbs to her.

"Yoojunga!" I herad Bogum.

He is racing behind me riding on his black stallion. 

"You've learned so fast." He said to me as he settled his horse behind mine.

"I told you this isnt my first time." I told him. 

The sun hit his eyes making him squint. 

Bogum is surely a physically blessed man. Hs eyes speaks more than his mouth.

"Yoojung..." he said protecting my eyes with his hands. 

"Ah- sorry Your Highness." I apologized after realizing that I was just looking at him.

"Oppa... i told you to call me oppa." He said to me.

"Ha?" I looked around me. The palace guards were with us but I cant find them. Bogum asked me to accompany him to hunting at the same time I could practice shooting arrows as we ride horses.

"We are alone." He said. He pick a fallen strand of my hair from my face and tuck it behind my ear.

"Oppa..." i whispered.

He smiled. "I like that." He said. He laced his finger from the back of my ear to my chin. "But I like you more."

I pursed my lips stopping my self from saying anything necessary like - i like that too- or -you wanna die?-. 

"Deer!" 

We heard the voice of one of the palace guards.

Great! "Hiya!" I kicked my horse and followed the voice.

"Great timing!" I heard Bogum hissed behind me.

"Birds!" One guard shouted 

It surprised me that I almost fell from the horse.

A sudden rush of fear run through my veins.

"Are you okay?" Bogum asked me.

"Yeah." I said as I stabilize my balance over the horse.

"Are you sure?" He asked again

I nod at him. "I will try to shoot some birds." I shook my head removing the bad thoughts in my head. The birds are deadly and I never thought I'd have this fear on birds.

I took out my bow and place an arrow. I aimed at the birds flying over us.

"Your target is moving. Aim where you think its headed." He said calmly. The other guards are meters away from us.

I released my bow shooting to the open air missing the birds.

"You are not ready for this." Bogum said worriedly. "Lets try with a running land animal." 

I nod at him. I trust Bogum. He is a skilled hunter.

"Match my pace." His horse started to run and mine started to run as well.

"The non moving objects were easier target." I told him.

I did pretty well during our training hitting non moving objects while riding horses. But this is another level of difficulty.

"See that one?" Bogum pointed at a deer from afar. 

"We are not killing an innocent deer." I protested.

He smiled. He pulled out an arrow from his horse's saddle. Its an arrow with a rounded end. He handed it to me.

"That ball is a paint." He told me.

"Like paint ball?" I asked him.

"Yes its a paint ball. When you hit your target a paint will mark on it." He said.

He scratched my head. "We're not killing animals. Dont worry." He said.

I smiled at him. "Then why are did you tell me we were hunting?" 

He looked away. "Just a little excuse so I could bring you with me." I caught him pursing his lips and keeping himself from giggling.

"You know you cant do that. Im not the one-"

"Oh deer!" He cut me. "Shot it now."

It got my attention that I kicked my horse and followed the deer.

The deer ran swiftly.

Bogum is just behind me patiently teaching me what to do. "Aim now." He said loudly. "Eyes on the target."

I did as he said raising my bow and arrow with my eyes on the running deer.

"Dont lose it." He said again. "When yu lock your target, that the time you release." Ge said.

"Locked!" I said. I pulled the string and released the arrow.

The arrow pivoted and darted on the buttocks of the deer. The deer fell on the ground. I thought  killed the poor animal yet it after a few seconds it stood up and runaway.

I let out a sigh of relief.

Bogum chuckled. "Rumor is true. You learn fast."

"Stop flattering me oppa."i said.

"Oppa..." he smiled. "It's true. The professors said that you learn faster than all the others."

"Stop teasing me." I said. Truth is, I'm flattered. I know I learn faster every time but this is the first time someone complimented me.

"Now let's shoot flying birds." He said. He looked down his watch. "Just in time." 

"What? now?" 

"The crows." He Pointed up.

My body shivered that I accidentally kick the horse making me fall down.

"Yoojung!" Bogum stepped down of his horse and helped me up. "Are you okay?"

I nod.

"I'm sorry i didnt realize you were traumatized." He said.

"It's okay. I thought they were ravens." I said.

I got up on my feet and swat the dust from my clothes. 

The guards chased my horse.

Bogum went up his horse again.

He lend out his hand to me.

"Ride with me." He said.

I politely took his hand and ride the horse. 

I sat in front while he is behind me. 

He held on the reins.

He seemed like he was hugging me from behind. I could feel his broad chest on my back. He is warm and he smell good. His arms are strong almost squeezing me.  

"You have to get over it. I will help you." I could feel his warm breath against my ear. It sent sensations to my body.

He kick the horse and it started to run. We followed the direction of the crows.

"Hold the reins." He told me.

I held on it. 

"Let go of it when you feel like you can balance without holding it." He said. 

I nod. 

When I felt like I'm ready, I let go of the reins and took out the bow and arrow. 

"Aim." He said.

I aim on the sky. Crows look like ravens. But crows fly in flock. Unlike the raves who attacked me in pairs.

"Found your target?" He asked.

I nod.

"Take a deep breath." 

I followed as he said.

"Release!" He said.

Just then, I released the arrow as it spin towards the flying bird.

It hit the crow making it wobbly until it almost fell down. Luckily it was just a ball of paint.

I felt Bogum's arms tightened around my waist.

"You learned so quickly." He said.

"Thanks."

"My heart is tingling whenever I see you." He said suddenly.

I turned my head halfway to look at him. Why is he saying thing suddenly.

"I have a request Kim Yoojung." He whispered.

"Oppa.." 

His arms tightened. "Stay alive for me Yoojunga." 

He placed his hand on my head. He drew his face closer to mine. 

My heart raced like a thousand of birds inside of it. My chest felt like it is going to explode. Why am I liking this? 

I closed my eyes as he drew his face closer.

Just then, I felt his warm breath against my lips. 

I shut my eyes tightly and slightly parted my lips.

Just then, I felt his lips on my forehead.

I felt so embarrassed that I opened my eyes and looked away.

"Yoojunga..." he complained.

"Lets go home."  I told him. 

He cupped my chin with his left hand making me look back at him.

"I'm not done yet." He said. 

Just then, his lips landed on mine.

It was just a peck yet it was enough to paralyze my whole body.

He smiled at me. "Now lets go home."

 


The day of the King's crowning has come. Everything happened so quickly. Tomorrow, Bogum is another man. He is officially the king of this Kingdom. He is a different person when he is in throne while he is just Bogum when he is with me.

At night he would visit me and we would talk and talk until we are both tired and fall to sleep.

I wish things will stay that way. I wish Bogum would never change. He loves to smile and he laugh alot. Things between us is unclear yet he makes me feel that I am somewhat special.

"I want you beside me, always." Thats what he keeps on telling me. 

I dont know if its just my obligation as a wonhwa or it is more than that but I's gladly be beside him.

A loud knock on my door brought me back from my thoughts.

"The parade will begin soon." A loud voice said.

As a Wonhwa, it is my responsibility to fetch the King so I shouldnt be late.

I picked up my sword. My mother's sword. My thoughts on the engraved phrase on the sword. What it has to do with my mother? I have tried to talked to my father about this but he declined to answer me. All he said was the best place for me for now is the palace. I dont even know what he meant.

I tuck the sword on my metal belt. We were all given swords but I chose to bring my mother's sword as a symbol of being the only woman among all the King's men.

The other knights are all lined up as I walked in the middle. They are holding out their smiles as we greeted each other with eye contact.

The new uniform is a little bit lighter than the one we wore during the knighting. A traditional red and silver hanbok under a titanium metal plate adorned with the new King's emblem. A white Tiger surrounded by flames.

The five of us have capes. The four men wore a white cape with the king's emblem while mine is red. 

Our hairs are tied up and the men wore wigs to mimic the traditional men's long

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter