Lets Pretend

Black Raven, White Tiger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"What are you up to Areum?" Master Kim clenched his teeth and holding his anger as he spoke in private to the Queen.

"Areum..." she said again. She closed her eyes and laugh hysterically. "You called me Areum. After twenty years." She looked at her mockingly. Her eyes piercing in mixed anger and hate.

"Let's get to the point. Are you getting back at me?" He asked. "Why did you make that child a wonhwa?"

"Like revenge, you mean?" She asked. Her angelic eyes, her pale skin. She looks like an angel but she is full of fire inside. Like a silent volcano, ready to erupt anytime. "You turned your back against the kingdom. You turned your back against me." 

"I did not turn my back against anyone." He said. "I dont serve anyone to begin with." He said.

She swat the goblin which made it flew away. "You always say that! You and your crazy ambition." She screamed.

"If you hate me that much, then you should get back at me and not with that innocent child." He answered. He clenched his fist under the table.

There was silence.

"What is it with that kid that you come to confront me?" She said in anger. 

"She is my child." He answered back.

"You never had a woman!" She said.

"You have no idea who her mother is!" He raised his voice.

"A woman that is more important than me, Oppa?" She raised her voice.

"A woman who can burn this Kingdom to the ground." 

The Queen clenched her fist and slammed it on the table.

 


YOOJUNG:

"Papa, I hope I did make you proud." I said to Papa. We are seated at the stairwell at one side of the palace.

His eagle gaze gone. He is back to his soft side. A side he never showed to anyone but me.

"I am always proud of you. Although you are hard headed most of the time." He smiled. Looked at me and I can see the water forming at the sides of his eyes.

"Papa, please dont worry about me." I assured him.

He placed his hand at the top of my head. "Things are going to be tough my child." He said to me.

I wanted to hug my father. But I resisted. I would never cry in front of him. 

"There are things that I haven't told you yet. Things that are too early for you to know." He said.

"Papa?" I asked confused.

He hugged me and he placed his chin over my head.

"Promise me you will be strong here. Things are going to be tough." He said.

There was silence between us. 

"The King's life is in your hands. Without the King, this kingdom will burn down to ashes."

Theres a big lump on my throat. I just realized now how big this responsibility is. 

"I feel bad for you my child." He said once again.

"Why Papa? Why you keep on saying that?" I pulled away from him and looked at him in the eyes.

"I know the Queen's game." He said. He held my arms. "For now, her gameplan will protect you and the rest of the knights. But promise me, you have to protect your self first at all times."

"But Papa, I should protect the King right?" I said to him confused.

"Protect yourself. Trust me." He said. "Protect yourself until it is safe." 

"Huh?" Now I am more than confused. Why is he telling me this?

"Here." He handed me a wooden scabbard and a katana. "Bring this if it is time."

"This is your sword." I told him. I cannot just accept a sword that he earned in a battle.

"Keep this. If you go to war, use this. Otherwise, keep it." He said.

He placed it over my hands and gripped my hands tightly. "This sword is a part of your story. You have every right to keep this." 

"But I did not earn this to deserve this." I protested.

"Your mother did. So keep this. Don't be such a hard headed." He said.

My mother. He never spoke nicely of her before. Only on those times when he had to scold me. 

I held it tightly and tied the scabbard beside my existing sword.

 


As soon as I reached my room, I locked all the doors and windows. Even the balcony. 

I dont want any unwanted visitor inside my room. Especially the one who revealed who he is earlier.

The nerve of that play with us. 

I kept the sword inside my closet.

I never got the chance to talk to the others after the ceremony. They stayed with their families at the banquet while I decided to leave as soon as my father left.

I took a shower, turned all the lights off and wore my pajamas and tuck myself in.

Tok!

Tok!

I heard a sound.

Tok!

There's another sound coming from the glass door at the balcony.

It took sometime before my eyes could adjust with the darkness around me. I looked at the balcony and I almost screamed in surprise when I saw a silhouette outside. 

The thin curtains that covers the glass window made it hard for me to identify who is standing outside.

"Hello?" A familiar voice spoke. "Are you sleeping, Yoojungah?" 

I gnarled. The nerve of this King.

"Yoojungahhhh..." he said in an informal tone. "Are you mad at me?" He leaned on the glass door. 

I did not answer him.

"If I told you, do you think we will be friends?" He said.

Still I did not answer.

"Miane..." he said. "Yoojungah! The King says sorry." He said again this time pounding the door.

I covered my head with pillow. Will never talk to him. He is the King and he lied to me. So Im going to treat him like every employee to its boss.

Seconds passed and the knocking stopped. 

I paused for a moment.

I looked outside and the balcony is empty. He left already.

I turned around and shut my eyes.

A few more minutes and I find it hard to sleep.

I turned again to the other side but it was no use. 

It's been an hour and still I cant sleep.

I got up and sat for a while. I did not open the light so nobody will see me inside.

I took my robe and decided to go out for some fresh air.

I looked around first to check if nobody's around.

When I was sure I am alone, I stepped out and leaned over the railing.

I took a breath of fresh air. No wonder I got the best scenery from my room, my neighbor is the King.

"Huh! That cat." I said under my breath.

"Meow!" 

A loud

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter