We Neighbors

Black Raven, White Tiger
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

YOOJUNG:

Fourteen of us where sent inside the palace vicinity. 

All of us are not familiar with each other so I easily forgot the faces of my future comrades.

We rode separate cars coming here. Five of us females and ten of males. Inside the car going to the palace, we were asked to cover our faces. We were asked to wear traditional hanbok that is not traditional at all. It looks like a male hakchangui that is made for a woman. It is colored dark blue. Our hair tied up and a piece of cloth covering our face showing only the eyes.

We are not allowed to talk to each other inside the car.

We arrived in an open field inside the palace vicinity. The men got off the car and we followed. 

They too have face covers. They are also wearing a blue hakchangui similar to ours.

I looked around me. I can feel the tension between the fourteen of us. They too are nervous as I am. 

Then the palace guard in purple armor walked in.

Then just like in the movies, a graceful woman in golden robe walked in. Her face is covered with white cloth that is almost transparent. She is beautiful, but you can sense the strength and power she hides behind the lovely face.

Realizing that it was the queen, we all bowed down on our knees to her. 

She sat in a chair that I didnt noticed. 

One of the guards spoke.

"Females stand to the left and males on the right." 

We followed his orders.

"You are all chosen in a special position." He began. "The council did not expect an all full-born military rank will make up your team. We have high expectations from you considering that warriors blood flows in you." He said. "But then, your families' rank will not matter inside."

I can feel the queen's piercing eyes at me. I tried to play it cool and act as if nobody is looking at me. I maintained a straight face all throughout this.

Just then, a pair of black raven flew high above us.

I got a glimpse of the queen. She was shaking in anger. I can see it in her eyes.

The queen looked at the guard and nod at him.

Just then they  gave us bows and arrows.

"Shot the raven dead." She spoke. Her voice is soft but is full of anger. "Shot it dead!" She ordered.

We only have one arrow. 

The guards rushed the queen away but she was resisting, her eyes still pierced at me.

Arrows flew above us. 

I suddenly felt fear that I never felt before. 

I am not sure but maybe half of us already tried hitting the poor birds. 

My hands are trembling. I am not a skilled archer, I'm not skilled in long range shots. 

Never in my wildest dreams did I dream of killing poor birds.

I looked at the queen again and she was furious.

She was yelling directly at me. "Kill that! Kill!" She cried.

I looked at the others on how they hold the arrow. 

I copied it and aimed in open air. I was thinking, I only have one chance, if I fail, I saved the poor birds.

I released the arrow in open air.

One of the ravens fall on the ground.

My heart felt like it was pierced with knife seeing the bloody raven lifeless on the ground.

I can feel a tear forming in my eyes. It's clouding my vision. I'm shaking in fear. I have never killed anything before. This is cruel.

I looked at the queen.

She was smiling from ear to ear. 

I looked away and shed a tear for the bird that I cannot even dare to touch.

Then another bird fell on the ground.

The man with covered face pick it and gave to the guard. 

He picked the bird that I shot, my hands still trembling.

"Hold it." He told me.

I was just silent and did not move.

"Hold it skunky." He told me.

I looked at him only to realize who the owner of the voice is.

"Bogumssi." I wanted to cry. Relieved that I knew someone in the pack.

"Dont show your tear. Just take this." He whispered.

I held the bloody bird on my hands. Blood dripping on my palms.

I clenched my teeth as I gave the lifeless bird to the queen's guard.

"We found a Wonhwa." She said then they left.

 


We were housed in a separate mansion that looks like a small castle. Although both genders are in the same house, w each have a separate rooms. They said that this is a temporary shelter for us until we finish our training. 

That night, I skipped my meal. I didn't feel hungry. The scene where the arrow hit the raven's chest keeps on playing in my head. It was a real torture.

I wish I could talk to papa or any of the house maids back home. I didn't have much friends and those I trusted the most are those I met in the west. 

I sat on the floor on one corner of the balcony. I crossed my legs and rested my head on my knees. My arms crossed over my head.

"Papa, otoke?" I whispered.

"Samgyeopsal, Daeji Bulgogi, gogigui, sundubu jjigae... ahhhh mashisseo"

Without confirming who it was, I knew who that voice is. 

"Dknt talk to me Bogumssi." I said without looking.

"Aaiisshhhh.... first day is always difficult. You must've missed your family." He said.

I only have my papa and my house maids. They are my family.

I did not answer.

So he is next door. His balcony is just beside mine. I can even jump across it.

"You skipped dinner." He noticed.

"I'm not hungry."

"Im sorry about earlier." He apologized.

"Why are you even apologizing?"

"I feel bad for you." He said. "That shouldn't happen in your first day." 

"I dont feel bad for being yelled at by the queen." I looked at him with agony. My eyes are blood shot red from all the crying. I dont want anyone to see me cry.

"No, for killing the birds." He said. His eyes apologetic. He is also seated like me. Legs crossed.

"Who would want to kill an innocent." I shut at him back.

His smile is gone. "Sadly, we will be doing much of it in the future." He looked away. "Whoever is not from the kingdom, innocent or not, is the enemy of the kingdom." He said.

"That is what I hate about war

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter