viii - Such sorrow we Inflict + Epilogue

Fairylights

 

            CL’S POV

 

His eyes are on the road but his head is miles away. I sit beside him in this enclosed space and i cannot help but feel hopeful. Today is the day that we will go to my mother’s house. I called the landlady and she confirmed her presence. I have tried to think about the words i would say and still come up with nothing. There is no going back, the league knows my plan and i cannot afford to lose.

 

The countryside and the fields are familiar to me. They never changed. Unlike me.

 

“ are you alright?” he asks and i want to tell him everything that is running in my mind. I want to tell him no, i am deathly afraid. I want to ask him if we are okay. I want to know, if he does not hate me. But i cannot push him, I know what happened the last time I did. So i look at him in innocence and speak slowly,

 

“ I will be. Just a bit nervous”

 

“ You will do just fine, we will just tell her that I am interested in her to do solo piece for my album.” He offers lightly and i cannot help but feel my heart soar.

 

YG Entertainment signed him already abd he is working on his new album. Nothing is definite, but right now, he is learning alot. I have never seen him happier, minzy says so too. A part of me is relieved that this happened now. With the misfortune i bring into my life, it’s a good thing he got what he deserved.

 

“so, will your wish be – to be star forever? ” I ask him and he does not glance at me.

 

“ I will know when that time comes,” he replies. I know he feels that he does not deserve this wish from me. He feels like he hasn’t done anything for me. But i will beg to disagree. I just hope he sees that.

 

 

We drive a few more miles till we reach our destination. I realize why my mother would want to live and stay here. It’s close to a river and a forest. She always loved nature. As soon as our car is parked, a woman comes out. The landlady. We will be staying in one room for a week in here. It is a bit rushed, but i have to be quick. My powers are slowly getting out of control. Like a bomb, waiting to go off and damage everyone in it’s way. I must distance myself before it’s too late. This is not self-sacrifice. This is awareness of how wrong I am to be associating myself with humans.

 

“what are your plans?” he asks and i answer him truthfully.

 

“ I will just go there and introduce myself. Then, we should start to find out ways for her to remember me.”

 

“ like, use your power?” he adds.

 

“ yes. I asked hyunjoong about it. He said, it could work. My power can bring back, or make here remember some things.” I explain to him further. “ Like, you cannot remember much from your childhood. But when you see something significant. Like a paperwheel you always played with, something inside in you is triggered.”

 

“ and you remember,” he whispers softly and our car slows down as we near the exit.

 

We sit in silence for a couple of minutes and he starts asking me again. I hate this between us. Eversince that night with the leprechaun, he’s been walking on eggshells with me. I won’t break. No matter what happens, I will not break down and fall apart. Perhaps he saw how weak i can be that night. And he knows that we will forget each other after this. Indifference. It is something i never got used to. With him, I can never get used to it.

 

“so, who is hyunjoong?” he mutters and i relax. This, i can answer.

 

“ oh, He is one of the few who believed that i can be a fairy princess.” Looking at our map, i see that we are coming close. We have gone here before, but i brought it to make sure. “ he is royalty as well. But he does not want to be a ruler, he was born as soldier. That’s what he told me. And as soon as it was announced, that i am a princess. He swore to protect me.”

 

GD coughs for a moment and i look at him.

 

“  are you okay? We can stop over if you want.”

 

“ No, so. You two are pretty close. He was too angry when he saw us,”

 

“ ofcourse he is. I escaped and he failed his duty to protect me. Plus, the leprechaun is still out.”

 

“ that kid is screwed wrong in the head.” GD finally said and i shrugged. Everyone of us is screwed wrong. I think. I have never met someone who was clearly happy with his life. Everyone wasnted something bigger. Wanted to be a bit crazier. There are just the absolute mad ones who are able to let it go and does not care.

 

We arrive at our destination and i tried my best to act nonchalant. No false anticipation and sitting in the car to wait. No elaborate plans and false scenarios to try and lure them in. I will just walk inside and let fate take me.

 

“ are you ready?” he asks me and i cannot help but smile.

 

“ ofcourse I am,” I tell him and as i look at him, walking beside me with his head bowed down and his lashes making it impossible for me to see his eyes. I see it clearly, that I can never forget him. How can I? How cruel can magic be to make me forget him? And so i close my eyes and try to make a mental picture of him and store it in my head. A stupid gesture and a hopeless case. But i had to try, i cannot let this go wihtout a fight.

 

I can see the red door of the two-storey complex. 10 rooms. 10 families.

 

Someone comes out of the door and walks directly towards me. A teenage girl. Almost as young as minji, or perhaps even younger. She is crying and she is clutching something.

 

“ ar eyou alright?”

 

She looks up at me and at GD then on her hands. She sobs, but i can see anger in here.

 

“ im fine, just get out of the way.”

 

“you don’t look well, it won’t be right if you walk out right now.” I advice her.

 

“ shut up! You don’t know me! You’re like my mom! ” she whines and GD moves away.

 

“ let the kid go,” he says.

 

“ Lina!” we both here a voice from the complex and I stop. It’s my mother. She did not age at all or so I think she didn’t. Her eyes held the same fire, her body is the same. Her hair is still the same color and it’s like, i left our house yesterday.

 

“ it’s her, isn’t it?”

 

“ yeah-” is the only answer i can give him as I am breathless.

 

“ stop! I can take care of myself!” the kid shouts and i realize that my mother is talking to her. Lina. I take her hand in mine , only to find my mother walking over to us. She looks thankful.

 

“ Lina, please, go back inside. I am not going to kill you.” Her voice is tired like she spent the whole day talking and complaining.

 

“ YOU WILL! I- I – Didn’t know- my boy-” she is crying now and is till cannot let go. This is clearly a private moment and as i galnce at GD, he looks at bit umcomfortable.

 

“ Lina, let us go inside and talk.” Finally, she looks up at me. “i am so sorry, please let me take care of this.”

 

I loosen my grip and they both walk over back to the complex. I am rooted on the spot and GD yanks me. I look a thim and i say no, but he seems insistent.

 

“ oh, excuse me? Can we come in for a drink?” he hollers, and i want to stomp his feet.

 

My mother looks at us and smiles, “ You can call me Marie.” Marie. It’s her english name, since i was a kid, she always said she will change her name to it. Perhaps, it was an unconscious choice to hide her life before as well. When she forgot about everything.

 

“ come on!” GD tells me and we walk towards the complex. She leads us to a room and my heart constricts at how similar this is to our old house. Our own house. I feel like a stranger, but GD leads me. He holds my hand, tugs at my hand, as if to tell me that i should move and everything will be fine.

 

“we did not mean to impose, actually, we will be staying here for some days.” GD starts the conversation and She hands us cups of tea and i accept it.

 

“ it’s okay, you made my dear Lina stay. I cannot run after her anymore. ” she smiles and as soon as Lina hears it, she storms inside her room and we are greeted with a loud sound of a door shutting.

 

“kids,” she says softly.

 

“ I have a sister close to her age, im pretty used to the mood swings.” GD offers.

 

He is playing this up, talking to my mother like this. I froze, i cannot talk to her right now and thank god, he is here to help me. I smile at him, but i think he did not catch it.

 

“ oh, really? But i don’t think yours have drug problems.” She adds and we both look at each other.

 

“ what do you mean drugs? She’s young – and, ” i started and GD octinues for me,

 

“ is she using or selling?” he asks.

 

My mother looks uneasy. I mean, she is an accomplished professional with a druggie daughter. I know my mom has the tendency to forget the people around her when she is immersed in her craft. That is what art does to her. She gets lost. She goes into another world.

 

“ selling,” she responds to GD.

 

“She is mixed with the wrong crowd, that does that. Plus, maybe she wants to buy something.” He offers.

 

“ i don’t know what she can possibly want. I think she just wants to do it to be popular and different.”

 

“ why can’t she do something else?” I ask.

 

“ deing a drug dealer in high school makes you a god and untouchable.” GD comments and my mom’s eyes narrow at him.

 

“ don’t let her hear that. I just discovered it yesterday, and she owes someone-”

 

“ you should call the police.” I say.

 

“  Look. I know, but if we do, it will be on her file . even if she’s a minor. This is serious, there will be a trial and she might even be sent to juvenile houses. ” she starts off, clearly concerned. “ it might even be picked up by the news.”

 

We drink our tea in silence and we eat our biscuits. I try to start something, start a conversation but i am at loss for words. I look over at GD for back-up and he did not fail me.

 

“ thank you, we will surely come back here to check up on you. If you need help with Lina, we will be on the second floor, 4th room” he says and my mother smiles at us. She embraces me and i stop myself from crying.

 

“ so, are you? ” she gestures at the both of us and i blush like a thirteen year old.

 

“ oh, we’re newlyweds-” GD quips and my heart stops. Or i think it does. My mom claps her hand and she looks overjoyed.

 

“ that’s wonderful! Why stay here though?” she asks.

 

“ I grew up here, but my house is no longer here. I want to let him see where i grew up.” There, i am finally able to talk.

 

“that’s sweet!” she says and i know we should leave now. Our time is running out.

 

“ we have to go,” i say and GD wraps his arms around me, holding me and kisses me on the cheek. I fight the urge to combust and melt. This is just for show. He is helping me inorder for us to look convincing.

 

“ see you Miss Marie!” he calls out and we are out of the house.

 

He moves away from me and i flinch at the loss of contact. I miss it. Selfish as it may seem to want  something that can never be mine. We walk towards our own room, our house for three days. This is Day One and as far as i can tell we made easy progress. We are friends with my mother now. She knows us.

 

“ maybe we can invite her for dinner you know, cook in here and you can use whatever power you have.” GD suggests as we meet at the dining room after we fixed our beds.

 

“ We can’t make her leave, i planned to do it, to summon the fairylights at the place where out old house stood. But, with what’s happening to her daughter, i don’t think that’s possible.” I say.

 

“ that too, I have a feeling that if we help her out with that- something good will happen.”

 

“ thank you GD, really. I just don’t know what to do when i saw her.”

 

“ I can only imagine, don’t worry. I am the human that will help you.” He smiles at me, and i swear- in that moment nothing matters. “and apparently, your husband.” He laughs at that and i join in.

 

“ oh, so I am Mrs. Kwon Jiyong now?” I frowned, looking disappointed.

 

“ oy! It’s a privelege!” he jokes and I flipped my hair,

 

“ really? How ? is it because you’ll be a superstar soon?” I teased. He is still not used to the fact that YG ent is interested in signing him and that his EP is doing well. We feel like next week, he will be hounded by reporters for interviews. His anonymity will not last long.

 

“ maybe- ” he says.

 

“ Look, GD. We believe in you okay? You are talented, people are luck enough to hear your songs and watch you perform. Don’t keep it to yourself, you have it, share it to the world. Okay?” I tell him this and he relaxes. The sun is starting to hide from the world and as we both looked out the window i feel a sense of hope.

 

I will get through this.

 

//

 

GD’s POV

Day Two

 

                                I am helping fix the dinner and CL is going crazy trying to make everything perfect. Her mother and sister will be here any minute now and everything is ready. The food is ready and the house is clean. Her nerves are going crazy and i don’t know if i am imagining it but I can almost feel power surges coming from here. She emerges from her room and I look over at her.

 

“ relax,” i pleaded and she walks towards the door and back to me.

 

“ i can do this, i will not break.” She says, more to her than me.

 

“ Yes. You can do this, Okay? Just be yourself.”  I tell her and as soon as the doorbell rings she looks troubled once more and i take her hand. We both open the door and I pull her closer to me. Like a suburban couple who loves each other so much. For a moment, we stepped into a different universe. What if it’s different? If we met each other as two people who did not have baggage? Almost as if I stepped inside a time where we will be meeting her parents for the first time or what. Checking up on our new life.

 

I can get used to it.

 

Then I chastised myself as i realized how wrong this is.

 

“ hello!” Marie greets us and We let her in, Lina is not with her and i quickly speak.

 

“ where is Lina?”

 

“ she’s at school, I think it’s better for her to be there you know. She needs to catch up with her studies.”

 

We all sit down and the conversation is easy. Unbelievable. I can see CL loosen up and they talk alot . they have alot in common. I feel like a stranger in this reunion, that i should not be witnessing this at all Marie excuses herself for the bathroom and i look at CL.

 

“ In the terrace, you can try.” I tell her and i am surprised as she pulls me for a hug. But this is different, she squeezes me close. Afraid to let me  go. “ hey, don’t back away now fairy princess.”

 

“ thanks” she says and i want to pull her towards me again. I want to be closer to her, to hold her close. Maybe kiss her. That last one made me want to whack my head. I cannot think about this.

 

Marie comes out and I suggest that she and CL share wine over at the terrace while i clean up the dishes. They both went out and I pray that everything will be fine. There is soemthing inside of me, telling me that i am at the final stretch. One way or another, this will just be a dream.

 

I look over at them and they are talking freely. Oh, what would i give to have my mother back. Or maybe, just to see her once more. I can feel her power again. I am becoming in tune with her power more eversince we met. I just hope this triggers something in her. I know there was a mention of a sacrifice and that is nagging inside my head.what sacrifice?

 

Something is wrong.

 

The door opens and CL opens the door to her room and she looks just about to cry. Marie follows, as if in a daze.

 

“ I have to go,” she says.

 

“ o-okay.” I say uneasily and i lead her out. what the hell happened? I did not even bother knocking, i just opened the door towards CL’s room. She is crying and clutching a pillow close to her.

 

“ she needed to go, she’s in a daze. ” I explain and she is still not talking. I take a seat and stay silent. I allow her to take everything in, waiting for her to talk.

 

“ I tried. The fairylights, they showed up. I did not mess up, and she said my name Ji. She said, Chaerin. Chaerin, my given name” she says and i take her hand in mine. “ but, it was just that. She was in a daze, a magic induced haze. She does not remember me at all. I AM SO STUPID. To think that it will be that easy. I believed that she will remember me and we will be happy. But no. What am i supposed to do?”

 

I clutch at her hands, letting her know that i am here.

 

“ atleast she recalled your name. She did not forget you completely.” I offer weakly. I was never used to comforting anyone.

 

“ this is useless, who was i kidding? I shouldn’t have rebelled.” She whispers.

 

“ Look, CL. We can do this. I am here, she will remember you. You will live here with your mother, you deserve it. Of all people, you deserve to be happy.”

 

 She stops sobbing after that and she looks worn out. defeated. She rolls down and moves to sleep. I cannot just leave her like this. I lay beside her and pullde her closer to me. Her back is against my chest, i just hope to god she will not feel the beat of my chest – quickening. For whatever reason, i do not want to admit. I just need to hold her close.

 

“ i will get you your happy ever after.” I whisper to her but she does not answer. Her breath evened out and we both fall asleep.

 

//

 

CL’S POV

Day Three

 

Warmth.

 

The first thing I registered as soon as i woke up. This is comfortable, like I am finally fine. The feeling that everything is fine and it makes sense. It dawns on me, what happened last night. I just felt so defeated. I knew it will take more than that, I know it will be harder and almsot impossible. But i had too much hope. I felt like, everything will go my way.

 

GD stirs and i am startled.

 

“ hey.” He says sleepily, clearly unaffected of our situation. I have to turn away to hide the clear flush on my face and probably my entire skin.

 

“ goodmorning,” i reply and quickly sit up. He follows suit, still clearly sleepy.

 

“what do you plan today? We can still talk to her you know.” He says and i only nod.

 

“ that would be good, I was thinking. We can take her to where our old house stood. I remember she told us that she would want to give us a tour of the town.” Thank god I remembered that she said that. My mom is still as accomodating as she was before.

 

“ good. Look, CL. Anything can happen. Keep your head up. Okay?” he says and leaves me alone. If things were different, i would have done everything to make him fine. But, i cannot start something when i need to deal with alot of things on my plate. Unfair.

 

I don’t believe in heaven or hell as a magical person. But i guess, you do not need to die to know what hell feels like. This is more like it. Being inches away from the one thing you want and never having it in your hands no matter what you do.

 

The morning was spent thinking and waiting for my mother to call us. When we could not take it anymore, GD Marches down and tells her that we would all be going to the sea. Near the sea. Where our house stood.

 

“ that’s a lovely place, it inspires me. ” her words ring in my head and i knew this was not a lost cause.

 

“ where is Lina?” I ask.

 

“ she went to school early. I think she is going to get over this, i actually schedule her for a medical check up and to meet a psychiatrist.” She says and stops. “ oh, i should not be telling you this. You are tourists! Honeymooners! You wouldn’t want to hear this story.”

 

“ it’s okay, you have been good to us. We want to help.” GD replies and i start to answer as well.

 

“ it’s not a problem Marie, don’t worry. ” I reply and she seems to put her guard down.

 

“ i wll just dress up and we can all go.”

 

We both enter her house once again and I look around. Pictures of her and Lina, and another man i do not know. All her art- plastered on the walls. Her Piano in the corner, near the terrace. She comes out and we all went to the destination. It’s a pretty  windy day and perfect. Eating sandwiches by the sea, with GD writing song lyrics and me talking to my mother. It was not too personal, just a few questions and i am reminded of why I wanted to come back. To be human once more. To be with my mother and with GD as a human. This is where i am supposed to be.

 

Her phone rings and i tell her it’s okay to answer it. I look at my watch, how time flies. It’s close to 3pm now. Looking at GD, he is still scribbling words on a paper. Walking over to him, he hides it form me and i laugh out loud.

 

“ oh, too protective of your diary?” i joke and he sniggers.

 

“ it’s not. I am just writing something.” He defends himself and procures a bottle. He pops it open, the empty bottle and places the paper inside. Rolled up.

 

“ hey! What?” i ask.

 

“ you don’t know the message in a bottle thing?” he states as he moves towards the sea and throws it.

 

“ why did you do that? ”

 

“ Message in a bottle. You write things you can never say in them, as anonymous. Just to let it all out. ” he explains.

 

“ oh- what if someone finds it?”

 

“ then, they will bring it back to me.” He says finally and my urge to ask more was stopped when Marie walks over to us. Worry in her face.

 

“ Lina did not go to school today. ”

 

“ what? Who called ?” I ask.

 

“ a friend of hers, she says she thinks Lina is in trouble. ” she started to cry now and i look over at GD and we all walked towards the car.

 

“ tell me where the school is, then we look at the places she usually goes to. We can bring that friend who called you along,” GD suggested and I thank god that unlike me, he has some sense of calm.

 

“ why didn’t I see it? I thought she will change, that everything was fine when we talked. I have forgiven her- ”

 

“ everything will be fine, we can ask the police for help this time. She’s missing.” I comfort her.

 

“ they don’t file it as a missing person case, unless she’s missing for 48 hours.” GD commented and i am defeated. Thankfully, the school is close. We are greeted by Lina’s homeroom teacher and the one who called- Yuri. She clearly cried for some time and as she saw us, she pales.

 

“ Good day! I am sorry to be saying this, but Lina did not come in today. She is not in the records of those who came in today. Everyone is required to swipe their ids before coming in.” The teacher explained formally and Marie nodded. What can she say? Really. The teacher excuses herself but Yuri remains.

 

“ im sorry. She was here with me last night, we did extra school work. Plus, she even changed her number. She stopped hanging out with those girls. Those who were into drugs and-” she stops talking and regains her composure. “ i tried her calling her, but she did not pick up. On her new number, and last night, she told me that they were coming for her. She owed them money. She couldn’t sell the drugs.”

 

I am suddenly floored by her words. Can she really do that? But she’s just a kid. GD quickly moves and i remember him telling us that we should look for Lina along with the police. Filing a missing person was ignored, and Marie was force to tell them the truth about her daughter. Worst, she was further questioned if she was fit enough to take care of her daughter. Yuri came with us, as she knows what the gang looks like.

 

“ we need to find her soon, I feel something bad will happen.” She tells us, her mother’s instinct.

 

“ she owes them money, she did not want to sell anymore. There is this guy that she likes, he is part of the gang- that’s why she decided to close to them. ” she explained to us.

 

We decided to leave the roving to the police and we all agreed to go to a house that Yuri said they usually hang out.

 

“ she said it’s like a hide-out.”

 

Entering the complex, this is unlike the one we just came from. Evidently, at the wrong side of town and where hope is all gone. GD moves towards me, as if shielding me from any harm. We did not have to look too far as we hear a door open not far away from us and spot Lina. She is with this guy and Marie immediately walks over to her.

 

“ MOM!”

 

“ LINA!”

 

They both call out to each other but stopped when three men suddenly came out of the door.

 

“is she paying for your debts?” one of them said,

 

GD tenses behind me and i immediately say something,

 

“ I will pay? How much?”

 

The same man looks me up and down, “then hurry the up, this brat is taking too much of my time.”

 

Marie looks at me and thankfully, i brought my bag along with me. What did heechul tell me? Cheques? I pull one out and signed it, handing it to them. I see the look of disbelief on Lina’s face.

 

“ if this bounces, I will burn your house.” He says calmly and i nodded.

 

“ Lina, come here. ”

 

She looks at the man beside her,

 

“ I can’t.” She whispers, Marie moves to pull her away.

 

“ You come with me now, ”

 

“ No, mom!” she looks at the man beside her and i have the inkling that there is something more than a debt in here. Is she staying for the guy?

 

“ kid, go back to your mother. I don’t kill minors for sake,” the man said and GD gestured for us to go but Lina is stubborn.

 

“ Mom, I won’t live till rico is here,” she gestures towards the man beside her and it dawns on me. I am right, there is something more in this situation. I step forward and look at Lina.

 

“ we will help him too, but right now, we should leave. We will come back for your friend.” I tell her calmly. She joins us without a word but the men retreated, Lina did the unexpected and yanked rico’s hand doing the most ridiculous thing by believing they can get away. One of them pulls out a gun , aimed at Lina and for a moment It hits me.

 

This is what i have to do. I can see the horror in marie’s eye and GD’s conflict. I am not sure if i stopped or made time slow down. All I know is that i pulled Lina towards me, effectively shielding her from the bullet. A scream is all I hear and that stinging pain on my back.

 

“CL!” I hear GD shout and too much commotion.

 

//

 

            The hospital hallway is filled with relatives waiting for news on their relatives but one of them is waiting for something greater. GD could not help but shake and fidget as heechul looked at him intently and hyunjoong cursed.

 

“ damn sacrifice” he repeated over and over again. The doctor said she would be fine and as she studied CL’s aura, along with her mother- they just need one more step. For GD to connect them. This is barbaric, what is needed to break the spell. Thank god CL is a different kind of fairy, a royalty, and stronger than anyone else. That is the only reason she survived. She is becoming more human by the second, and mortal wounds could kill her if they are not cautious.

 

“ we have to get in, make your wish and connect them.” He says all business like to GD as they were ushered towards the room. The nurse said she is awake, they are all baffled at her recovery rate. It’s only been 24 hours since she was shot. Lina is in the custody of the police for further questioning, but maria decided to stay with CL.

 

“ This is it kid, what would you wish for?”

 

“ nothing.” GD replied. And it’s the truth, right now. He wouldn’t want to wish for anything.

 

A the three of them enter, they are greeted by CL, who is awake and Marie who is handing her a glass of water.

 

“ about time,” hyunjoong said abruptly. They need to accomplish this as soon as possible. He is breaking lawas by even helping CL in this.

 

“what do i have to do?” GD asks,

 

“ hold their hands. Concentrate, you will feel a surge of power.” Heechul starts.” I know you are in tune with CL’s power. So, get that and pull it towards Marie. But before that, tell her your wish. ”

 

It was pretty simple. Really, and as he gazed at CL he realizes that this is it. The end. They will both be happy afterwards. CL looks at him and Marie does the same.

 

“ thank you for helping me and my daughter, im sorry about this-” Marie says, with tears in her eyes.

 

“ it’s okay, look- i will have to take your hand- for a prayer.” GD says automatically.

 

With their hands clasped GD gazes at CL for the last time. Trying to memorize what she looks like and hoping that  by some twist of luck- he won’t forget. CL raises her eyebrows in challenge, though they both know that their resolve is fading. Leaning towards her he whispers: “ come back to me, ”

 

Closing his eyes, he takes both their hands and closes his eyes. The power is there and it’s like the most natural thing in the world. Perhaps it is true that he is indeed a soul catcher. The power surges and he feels like a vessel of something greater than himself. He does not open his eyes. Instead, he takes comfort from the darkness. After all, when all this is over. The darkness will consume him.

 

A minute passes and he feels the hands loosen their grip on him and his knees buckle.

 

“ GD-”  He hears that voice and lets it catch him as he falls.

 

//

 

            Bright lights are all he sees as he opened his eyes. Where is he? Why is he standing in this place? Looking in his right, he sees the bulletin board filled with names of doctors and their specialty. His eyes automatically looked wat his wristwatch. It’s 10:00 in the morning?

 

Why is he here anyway?

 

“ what the hell.” GD says as he turns around, feeling trapped by the amount of people on their own ways and he is just there- confused.

 

He tries to remember why he is here. A memory pops up, the last memory he remembers is seeing TOP and teddy as they talked about meeting YG. Writing lyrics on a beach. Staying in a house that he does not even recognize.

 

“ hangover” he mutter to himself and promises to never drink wiht the guys again. He walks against the crowd and looks for an exit. With the bright light and red letters for emphasis. Before he crossed the street, he sees a man look intently at him. He did not even have the time to be creeped out as rain started to pour.

 

“ oh !” he ducks back to the hospital shed and the man walks towards him, umbrella in hand. He s it towards him and he looks up.

 

“ uh- thank you?” he says and the man just smiles at him.

 

“ this would help you, go back home Ji.”

 

He replies and walks away, leaving GD stunned at how he knew him. The other man continued to walk away, never mind the rain and the discomfort. He is a fairy after all, this will not make him sick. He does not look back. All he knows is that CL is back with her mother, like she wanted. Without any memories and with a chance to live th elife she deserved. Jiyong is the same as well.

 

They are getting what they deserve and that should be enough.

 

Their meeting was just a trick ; something the fates cooked up to make them worthy. As heechul looked up in the sky and felt the cool air pass through him he silently prays for the story to not end like this.

 

Somehere, in the back of his heart- he prays that they all meet again. That they both remember. After all, with an emotion so strong- the heart never forgets.

 

A memory like that cannot be corrupted no matter what.

 

He had to hope.

 

Epilogue

 

“ So, what can you say about the success of your debut album?” The reporter looked at the both of them, batting her eyelashes as she talked. GD stiffled a laugh and tried to look cool while TOP is his usual stoic and playful self.

 

“ we were surprised by the reception of everyone. I mean, we are not pretty boys or even, we don’t even sing pop. But people connected with us. ” he answers.

 

“ Yes, they say you are a new breed of idols. A new kind of idols, do you agree?”

 

“ I think so, and with YG as our label- i think, we are given much freedom. ” TOP answered that one and someone gestured to cut the interview. It was cut short with a few more words and a thank you.

GD looked at the crowd waiting for them, with eveyrone cheering their names. It’s been a crazy 6 months. With their album out in the market and promotions on music shows. Even te fans from Japan and China are crazy. They have to record the mini album in english as well to appeal to a more international fanbase.

 

And to think that this was all a stupid dream as a child.

 

TOP is smiling for cameras and waving at fans while the girls almost faint he has that affect. As they rode the car and he looked at the building passing by- he could not help but feel thankful. Everyday of his life. This is what he wanted. But there are times he feels that there is something missing. Like a blank patch in his memory that needs to be filled.

 

They arrive at YG building in record time and he is greeted by the receptionist. Someone walks towards him and hands him a CD.

 

“ You are GD right? Jiyong?” he looks up to see a woman, probably his age with long brown hair and eyes that seemed almost feline. He likes her style, almost the same as his.

 

“ yes, who are you?”  he asks.

 

“ I’m Lee Chaerin, i just started as a trainee here. Teddy-hyung told me to make you listen to this, he says he needs your opinion.”

 

TOP looks at me and shrugs. Teddy does this. After TOP & I became a hot topic in the country, the trainee counts surged. But not all of them are accepted. Teddy took amusement in making the trainees his slave.

 

“ Oh, okay.” I answered back and TOP leaves us. He had enough with teddy making the trainees his slave, TOP is amused but he still has alot to do himself. The girl does not move away  and he stares some more.

 

“ yes?” GD finally asks again.

 

“ it’s just that- i have seen you before- ” she stops short and blushes. “ ofcourse, aside from the television and when i see you here. You’re familiar- like,”

 

“ It’s okay, i will listen to this.” GD cuts him off. Chaerin frowns.

 

“ sorry, you might think im crazy- it’s even weirding me out. i have the sudden urge to call you Ji.” She huffs and GD does a double take.

 

No one knows his real name. It’s with the company, he is just known as GD. No one calls him Jiyong anymore. Only his immediate family and friends. He let go of that name once he became an artist. They are both silent and Chaerin decides to move.

 

“ so, okay. I hope you listen to it. We still have training, and- yeah- i really admire your work.” She says quickly and leaves and as he stares at her retreating form; he feels something different. Like a switch was flicked and somehow, his world seems clearer. He never believed in epiphanies- but this seems like it.

 

He does not even know her- but how can she be so familiar? He sudddenly remembers the smell of the rain, fruits in his kitchen (in their old house), freshly made orange juice and bacon. His brain conjures up memories of a room, a house- the sea, a mansion and a hospital.

 

His head aches for a moment and he proceeds to walk.

 

Then he remembers to letter and unconsciously says it out loud. How can he know?

 

“ CL” he says to no one in particular. He shakes his head, he needs more sleep.

 

And for the first time since months, he feels like he will be complete again. The blank spaces in his memories will shine soon. 

 

==

Author's notes:

1. this is late, i was caught up with my birthday and stuff. and because of that, i made this a double post for the final chapter and epilogue. I enjoyed writing this one and i made it entirely for infiknights whom i love dearly and are close to my heart. ^^ 

2. The sequel, "Spotlight" is still in the works and will probably come out in later months (Not february or march) cause I have to continue my other projects as well. 

3. I hope you enjoyed this story! please comment and recommend.