iv - can you hear my hopeful heart?

Fairylights

 

Mornings on the Elizabeth the 3rd castle/holding cell is a tedious event. Most people skipped breakfast or dreaded it. Some don’t even remember taking it as they are still too sleep to notice of they ate a pancake or old bread. But the castle was different. For magical beings, the morning meant a new day and a new beginning. Humans regarded that as an old saying but the magical beings did not. 

A for the Fairy Kingdom, mornings meant the start of work and every capable one should be ready and fit. As young ones, this training is already instilled in them. Although the castle only houses one particular fairy in seclusion- utmost care is given as he is a duke himself. House arrest if you may call it. But Heechul had no one left to care for him. All that he loved abandoned him or were forced to ignore him. Even Ciel, she won’t be here if she’s not in dire need of his help as well. It feels terribly good to have someone lean on you so much. 

But something in his mind tells him that he will end up harming Ciel more than helping her out. He knows her secret. No matter how much the fairy princess tries to hide it. That weakening flicker of light in her eyes. The way she moves- less fluid and glide and more using of the feet. She never failed to baffle him, she is like a walking paradox. A walking proof that all the things he knows and believes in are not true. 

He looks at the smpty chairs on his dining table and his heart falls. This is what his life has become. Solitary existence. But his thoughts are jarred as a door opens and he is greeted with the completely dishiveled-in-his-pajamas-and-still-sleepy looking GD. This human is very interesting and will be a source of amusement for him. 

“ oh, you do look absolutely stunning in the morning Mr. Kwon Jiyong.” He chirped happily and GD, who just about stumbled in here because of his rumbling stomach just nodded. 

His sleep was too long, almost like a comatose. He did not even call his sister or his friends to catch up with them about their plans for the weekend. After the conversation with CL, he tossed and turned for 2 hours and finally slept. He woke up twice but decided to sleep again. It is a welcome surprise when he saw the sun rise and learned from the butler that breakfast is already served. He will also be going home today, which means it’s back to reality. 

Well, not really. But he works best in familiar environment that’s for sure. 

“ are you always this cheerful in the morning?” he asks innocently s he chooses a random chair as far away as possible from heechul’s place. 

“ what’s not to celebrate about the morning huh?” heechul feigns disbelief at GD’s obvious hate for the mornings. “it’s a promise of a new day. You die in the evening when you sleep, and somehow- the universe decides that you deserve to wake up the next day.” He explains simply and GD tried not to roll his eyes. Heechul is a fairy, he is a magical being and perhaps he lived such a spectacular life which explains his sunny disposition. 

Well, he is on house arrest but this castle is reason enough not to feel gloomy. And if you ask him, with a breakfast service like this- he would want to wake up quickly as well. 

The entrance of another person stopped the both of them from further talk. CL stumbled inside and looked completely dressed and ready to go. A woman on a mission and no one will get in her way. Which is true, today, She and her uncle will talk about the leads he got and sort it all out. 

She thinks positive and feels like everything will be fine if she only works hard for it. No matter what type of being you are. If you work hard for your dream and if you give your time and effort for it- something’s gotta give right? 

“ you two came here earlier than me?” she complained and took a seat next to heechul. 

“ ofcourse we will, we did not spend time bathing and dressing ourselves up.” Heechul explained and started to pass the food around the three of them. 

“ i wanted to start this day early, we need to go back to GD’s place. He needs to go back to his life, ” she says and looks knowingly at GD who nodded in recognition. 

“ Yeah. I haven’t called anyone yet and i will after this breakfast. But- i have alot of people to call.” He says,

“ don’t worry, I called minji twice yesterday and told her we’re fine. ” She smiles at GD and gives him a glass of orange juice. 

GD lightens up at that. He is fascinated by someone like CL who- the last time was a human was when she was 6 years old. Yet, she does things like this- with such humanity in it. Maybe it’s not about who you are. Everything else is physiology and parts, but our souls are different. He mentally shrugs at his serious thoughts- damn. It’s too early. 7am. And not even a workday. His sleep-wake cycle is ruined, thank you very much. 

“ Okay children, we shall finish this now and proceed to talk about this mission of ours.”

//

The meal ended and the three of them did their own routines for the morning and agreed to meet at the garden at exactly 8am. GD came in first, he just cannot wait to go back to his home. Heechul, followed by CL comes in and they are holding a box each- middle sized and with a brown color. Kind of like those brown office boxes they have to organize. 

“ let’s get this started! ” he shouted happily. 

They spent hours going through articles, documents and notes from people who gave their words. They narrowed it down to the most promising ones. 

“this is it,” CL said finally. She looks exhausted for the 2 hour sorting and pouring over the boxes. 

“ I cannot help you on the weekdays, im sorry. But after work, maybe i can.” GD says. 

“ i know. I understand, Heechul gave me a phone and some money so i can go on – on my own.” She explains and GD feels bad about that. It’s his duty to help her. 

“ are you sure? I mean, do you even know how to? And, i should be able to help you- we have a bond. ”

“ i told you, i can handle myself.” CL says once more. As if those words should end the topic. 

“ You don’t understand, she cannot fulfill her mission without you. That is the secret to a fiary seeking help from a human. Somehow, you are the Key,” heechul directs towards who GD who is once more- surprised by this truth. 
“ uncle is right. And don’t worry, i won’t bother you ” she says and all they can hear is the water running from the fountain. 

Heechul tried to clear the air and settle the issue and so he pushes them both out of the garden, physically. Literally pushing them towards the main entrance and telling the butler to get them the hell out of the castle. 

“ CL, you have the money and my card so do not worry. The human world works on money.” He tells truthfully and GD nods at that. 

They both climb on the car and start the trip. Both of them were quiet and lost in theory own thoughts. CL was thinking about all those things she read about her mothers. She became an accomplished college professor in modern music and even went abroad for seminars or performances. She lived in different houses and CL knew that was possible. She remembered as a kid, they would always move houses. Her mother always told her stories about places he wanted to go. It was not going to fix her, seeing her mother won’t make everything in her life fine. But it was a step towards that goal. She should move soon. She feels that the league will soon find her and if they do, they will be disappointed and perhaps horrified when they find out what is happening to her. 

What exactly is happening to her. 

She feels the cold and it makes feel uncomfortable. It is a bad sign. 

GD tried to focus on driving but his mind was drifitng away, probably miles away from here. As soon as he gets home, he will get in touch with his friends. Probably even meet Jia or what. He just needs to be reminded of who he is and his reality. The past hours were like something from a dream and he felt afloat. But he needed to touch solid ground. He needed to walk properly. Feel the earth.

He was torn with making sure that he is able to help CL. Even without the magic stuff, he would still help CL. That is who he is. He helps people even is he is desperate to be saved as well. How can he do that? How can he possibly help someone when he needs help as well? 

Can they mutually benefit from this? He doubts that. 

But the wish kept nagging on his head, it was his chance for redemption and all he has to do is reach out and take it. But somehow he feels like something wrong will happen. For someone who lives in loneliness, disappointment and pain- he finds it hard to believe that something great will happen to him. 

“ oh, Minji texted me. She says she’s just busy making clothes for today. She even wants me to fit some of her works.” CL suddenly comments and GD can do this. He can do casual talking. 

“ i am sorry if she does that, she goes manic when it comes to fashion and all her clothes. Truth is, i think he is disappointed that i cannot be her model for the clothes.”

“ oh, no worries. Every girl would want to be dressed up. Minji is really talented and i a m honored to be her model- ” she replies. 

They can both do this, the casual tlak and without delving into the seriousness of what they should talk about next. 

“ Look, CL- I will help you. Okay?” GD momentraily turns his focus away from the road to look at CL and tryong to establish a connection between them. “ I never broke a promise i made, do you understand that? Never. I just need to sort this out on my own and it will be quick, real quick. Okay?” he says calmly and he feels lighter once more. 

“ The truth is, i did not expect you to help me. All the more, I did not expect that a human will help me, that i will find you. So- I get it and anytime you can help me will be fine. ” CL replies back and closes her eyes. 

// 

“ How did the vacation thing go?” It was the first words out of Minji’s mouth. As soon as they came in, GD warned her not totalk and let CL go to her room and settle herself. He did not want to be questioned like this in his own home. But his sister is relentless and followed he to his room. Clearly not giving up. 

“ It was amazing, the place was literally a castle.” He said lamely and made show of fixing his overnight bag and opening his computer to check his emails. 

“ you didn’t go out? Sight-see?” 

“ No. We just hung out, if you saw the place, you will knwo what i mean.” He said finally. 

Minji clearly sees the exhaustion in her brother’s eyes but she just cannot contain herself. GD is weak, meaning, he is lso vulnerable and he will aswer her questions wihtout asking. And she wants to ask one question really really badly. 

“ so, what’s the score between you and the princess?”

GD flinched at that word, “ what do you mean? ”

“ oh. The fact that she will be staying in here longer than the one night you told me. I mean, I am not the most conservative person in the world. Is she moving in?” Minji rambled excessively and GD wanted to stop her, but the words spewing out of was just uneblievable. It was crazy how one person can presume about the other wihtout even asking. “ I know you are older and you will inherit this place. But right now, Dear brother, i am also living in this house. So, I have the right to know if i will be sharing space with someone.”

“ No, it’s not like that” GD cuts in weakly. 

“ I like CL, i really do. She’s nice and she knows alot about the trends which helps me when i’, sketching you know. Plus. She’s like this girl version of you... only. She seems like this super rich girl who did not need to work all her life. ”

GD rubbed his forehead in frustration. 

“ Minji. You are my little sister and i love you. But please, please do not presume like that again. Okay? WE- CL & I, We are not together. I am inlove with Jia for christ sake!” 

Minji only looks nonplussed at that. 

“ we talked to her uncle. She will be paying rent and utilities. She’s here to find a relative of hers. And she can’t live with her uncle cause it’s too far from the city” There. He said it, the mild and edited version of the truth. 

“ is she engaged or something?” minji suddenly asks. 

“ god no! I don’t even know-” he replies and looked over his laptop. His inox is not flooded as expected but there are alot of messages from TOP and Teddy. 

“ are you blind? ”

“ NO. Wait, what the hell are you talking about?” GD faces her sister who is clearly upset with him. “what did i do?”

“ I like CL for you- You always throw this guys you like for me. And it’s my turn. I may not know alot about her, but she’s good for you. ”

The statement did not make sense to him. If she only knew, she won’t be saying this things. Ofcourse, she’s good for him- she will grant him a wish if he is capable. He ignores her words and looks at the first message from TOP. They need to mee-up tonight. He looks over ar tedyd’s message and his mood suddenly lifted. 

“ we are recording, for real.” He says and minji walks over to him. 

“what do you mean?”

“ Teddy is finally letting us record an EP and see what happens after that,” his voice is b with joy and he stands up to get his things. He packs an overnight bag, he will surely sleep in the studio and he should probably call in sick the next day. TOP and him had been waiting for this moment for quite sometime. And now, it’s here. It’s just an EP. Just to get their music out there but they never had the money and resources to do so. 

“OMG! ARE YOU SERIOUS? I’M HAPPYFOR YOU! ” He is pulled to an embrace and breaks free. As his body acts up with the sound of good news, he sees CL at the sofa, waiting for him. 

“ UH- I need a ride to a store, i have to buy stuff for myself.” She says sweetly. 

“ oh. That’s cool. I can drive you over, I will be in the studio recording.”

Her eyes lit up. “ like, a real CD? Recording tracks?”

“YES. We finally had the support to make an EP. But you have to take the bus or a cab back though. I bet i have to work till the next day. No sleep.”

He explains and they both go to the entrance door. 

“ can i come and watch you record?”

“ why? It would take long hours and it’s not that pretty. I will give you the ep when it’s done.” He reasons out. 

“ No. I am interested – really, i told you i love music and i want to see how it’s created.” The tone in her voice is genuine. And he could just understand, she’s a magical being. She will really be fascinated once she sees how they make music. Although she mentioned that she keeps up with trends and even technology int he human world. 

“if you say so,” he replied and they both went on another trip together. 

// 

Studio 88 is owned by Teddy. An ex hip-hop star turned consultant and producer for YG entertaiment. Incidentally, also a friend of GD. He knew th ekid had talent, but there was not much opportunity nowadays for people like him. He loved rap and hiphop but the bosses nowadays only hired pretty boys who can sing and dance in tune with badly written pop songs. 

His stomach churns as he think about that. This EP, Hopefully, will raise the ineterst of the public. It’s been years since they heard something like this. Auto tune and songs that have no depth sells ofcourse- if you put the right faces to sing it. But he is a musician first and a businessman second. 

The door to his studio opens and he is greetd by TOP, GD and another girl. 

“ thanks for this! We appreciate it,” GD quickly says. It is a sad scene when a person with clear talent needs to feel like being able to show it off is a burden. 

“ no problem, the big bosses are . But me? I will help you out, i won’t promise anything. You know? But all these bands, especially in other countries- they start with EPs like this. ” he explains and looks over at the girl; now looking through the controls and the piano. 

“ didn’t know we’ll have company.” He says, 

GD almost forgot that he had CL to explain to. “ oh- she’s she’s a cousin of mine. She wanted to go and see me record. She won’t be a bother. ” he replies weakly and CL comes over. 

“ this is a good studio, i promise. I won’t make a sound. I’ll just observe. I love to sing you know, ”

Teddy took interest, well, he loved finding new talents. Plus, it did not hurt that she’s a pretty girl. “ know what? We need a girl to sing some parts of the song. Will you be up for that?”

CL looked shocked and pleased at the same time and immediately said yes. TOP, who had no clue what was going on said the first thing on his mind. 

“ the is up with your hearty-heart hoodie hyung?” he directs the quesiton to teddy. 

“ oh. Shut up, Valentines day is near! On Thursday to be exact. So after this recording, i would be busy planning. “ he replies with conviction. 

“ didn’t know you had it in you! ” TOP smirked and proceeded to bring out a couple of cds. “ who’s your date?”

“ i will be throwing a valentine party you know, at the club, then we will go from there. ”

“ You mean, you have no date?” GD said and gave him a sad smile which they all knew was taunting. 

“and what about you? Going to a fancy date with the lovely Jia? ”

“ YES.”

He answered immediately. Varied reactions was displayed across the room and one of them is TOP who looked happy and did a little dance for his bestfriend. Teddy on the other hand bowed, as if to say that GD is the king. CL on the other hand looked away, wondering why on earth was she feeling a bit sad becaus eof that. She saw Jia, she as lovely and her establishment was supreme. She should be happy that GD is going to end up with someone like that. 

GD looked happy but deep inside, he was deeply scared. Ofcourse, the date was set a week ago and every detail is planned but this was different. 

“ you finally gonna tell her then? Stop all the dancing and ask her the relationship status?” TOP asked. 

“ that’s ed up Ji, you ar elike her personal boytoy since highschool and you’re gonna ask after how many years. You sure love her, ” teddy stated plainly. When you put it that way, it was pretty pathetic. Plenty pathetic. 

“ I think it’s sweet you know.” CL came to the rescue and GD cannot help but feel thankful. “ although it’s a bit sad, but i understand that Ji- my cousin does not want to change what they are you know. Cause sometimes, confessions like that change everything. ”

GD looked at her with wide-eyes. How the hell did she know stuff about that? Do magical people have these kind of troubles as well? Were they as stupid as humans when it comes to love? 

“ oh! Reminds me, i had this – this girl, we were really close and once i said what i felt- she bolted out the door.” Teddy offered and TOP joined in. 

“ but i mean, atleast you tried right? And , I know you Ji. It’s high time you told her. All or nothing. You both deserve better- i mean, if- ”

“ can we just start recording and stop talking about my lovelife?” GD snapped and that shut everyone up. 

The recording went well and better thna expected. Ofcourse, they had been working towards this day eversince they were kids. CL was a complete surprise, she delivered her part of the sing really well and they are astounded to find out that she can rap. Serious talent. Teddy irritated GD by asking if CL can record some tracks of her own but CL declined, saying that she is really shy and she just came to have a look. 

They slept for no more than 3 hours. Sprawled eiehter ont he couch, on the floor or the seats. Monday morning came and passed and in the afternoon everyhting was just about technicality. Atleast, they had the luxury to shower and eat. 

“ Hey, Uh- don’t you need to go and find your mom?” GD said and realized it was a sort of rude thing to say. 

“ I know. I had that in my mind, but this place. This experience, i always wanted to do it. So. I did it. I don’t want to regret it you know. I’m sorry if i got in the way,”

“got in the way?” GD said, surprised. “ you were amazing, your rap was sick. How did you learn that? I mean, if we didn’t have that tal back in the mansion and with CL and his wings- i would have said you are not a fairy.”

CL laughed at that. 

“ you forget that i am a human as well. People of the magical world are updated in here as well but not everyone. I am royalty there, so i know alot and it is not restricted. Plus, it’s the human in me. ”

“ huh. Interesting. Look. I was serious, when i said that i will help you. I will. Just call me and i will do what i can. I will even give you my Friday nights and weekends.” He beams at her. He never invested this much time for anyone at all wihtout a long relationship. They just met days ago and he is clearly offering his life to her. It is inexplicable. Magic. 

“ So, you were pretty good there as well. I wonder why no agency snatched you yet,” she replied, changing the subject. 

“ it’s not what the people want. They want pop songs and good-looking guys.” 

“ you are a good-looking guy!” CL exclaims and as soon as they realized what she said, they both blushed. 

“ i am not the pretty boy and cute guy that will charm the off every girl.” GD puts lightly and CL looks at her seriously. 

“ trust me, you are plenty charismatic- you attracted a fairy towards you.”

GD cannot say anything about that right? He can attract magical beings, what more humans.

“ will that be your wish then? To be a superstar?”

The question caught him off guard. Will he? Will he make one wish and everything that he had suffered and dreamed about will come true in just one instant? It was a great thought and unsettling. He always thought that when he finally gets signed and becomes famous, it will be his hardwork and luck. Maybe, CL is the luck he had been waiting for. Is she? 

“ or is it Jia?” she says once more. 

“ what about Jia?”

“ I mean, you love her right? I can see it, you adore her. ”

“ i think it’s unfair for her- ” he speaks up. “i mean, if i wish that and she does not feel the same way, it would be like i forced her. I don’t want that. I’ve always dreamed of someone to love me and-” he stops talking, feleing terribly self-conscious but CL looks at her without judgement. Maybe she won’t think he’s a sissy for being this emotional. She’s not a human. She’s not that mean as well. 

“ It’s not just you girl, dreaming about a prince charming. Or maybe, it’s just me. But i always wanted a princess,” he looks at her and CL can only smirk. 

“ and i am a princess, what an irony!” she said with a mock tone in her voice. 

“ I met Jia in middle school. She joined this pageant and she had this princess dress on. I swear to God i thought she was the real thing- know what? I think she really is.”

He looks far away, remembering that day. He was a thin guy who wwas friend with almost everyone but not really that much of a popular kid. He had the whole world on his shoulders and a young sister to provide for as well. Everyone is looking at him. His peers look at him with sympathy. His teachers waited on him to break apart. The social workers were just on standby to get them away. His neighbors did all they can to help. His father never came, not even at the funeral. But that was all irrelevant as he saw her walking down the school ground with her princess dress on. She did not look like a person on a costume. With the others, he felt funny cause he knew that what they are wearing is not appropriate. But she was different.

She’s a princess. His. There was no contest to that. 

“ she was all i ever knew. I had a few crushes you know, but they all trumped what i felt for her. ” he whispered and threw his empty soda bottle on the bin with a shoot. 

CL studied him closely and it came to her in perfect clarity. This is what her mom told her about once and what his father told her one afternoon. The only difference of humans had and their fatal flaw was love. It was difficult to understand for her but now she did. Infront of him was the result of love. 

“ so, what are your plans?”

“ a garden date, with the candles and roses. ” he grins and CL pats him on the back. 

“ need my help?” she says. 

“ HAHAHHA! No need my fairy princess, i have this covered.”

My fairy princess. Those words were always used to address her but the way GD said it was different. Something buzzed inside her. Something different. Like some energy jolted her awake and she could not move. Her heart is throbbing from how much those words affected her and the affection laced in it. 

No.

This is wrong. All sorts of wrong. 

“ Hey! You coming?” GD Calls out and she stands up quickly and follows. She shrugs, it’s just the lack of sleep. Yes. Blame it on the lack of sleep. 

It was just a title. Fairy princess. She is not GD’s Princess. Though somehow, in the back of her mind and sometimes settled between the ridges of her heart she wished. She wished she can find someone like him. 

// 

AUTHOR'S NOTES:
First of all, SORRY FOR THE DELAY. AFF was always on error :| Ulgh. on that day, and i couldn't wait for it cause i had to go out of town for a weekend wedding trip. So. Yeah. :] but i am still following my original posting schedule! 
1. Thank you for your continued support, please help this story by recommending it to a friend. ;3 this will span till chapter 8 and a separate epilogue. we are halfway through! 
2. Next update, would be on January 18, 2012 for Chapter Five : Your heart was made to be broken and mended