Chapter ii - open your door to those who knock nicely

Fairylights

 

GD's POV.

=========

I look at the person right infront of me, she is unconscious and i study her closely. I hope to god that she is not dead or a crime victim, i get jittery when it comes to things like that. Plus, she looks like a really nice girl, well-to-do, i don’t do well in situations like this.  Like me, her clothes are dripping wet but she is wearing a rather stylish dress and her hair is a lovely brown and it’s long as well. I wonder if she came her from a costume party of some sort, and she got terribly drunk. If she did, she’s has awful friends. She does not even stir as i try to wake her up.

 

“ hey! Wake up!” i said, more frustrated now. I cannot do this, the rain is relentless and i cannot have people thinking that i attacked this girl or what.

 

“ hey! Please, for god sake! Wake up!” I shake her forcefully now and she seems to regain her senses.

 

She moves a bit and i take her in my arms, no use in leaving her alone plus i cannot be more soaked up in the rain. She is lighter than i expected, she starts to make a sound and i lay her fast on the ground.

 

“ ugh- my head hurts-” she starts to say and I panic.

 

“ what?what’s wrong with you head? Did you hit it somwhere?”

 

Why did he not see this? Is she hurt? I don’t even know a thing about first aid or like that. I mentally try to recall stuff i know about head injury but nothing comes to mind.

 

“ no- i’m” she sits up and i help her. I have never been close to a human being this way, her whole body is supported by me. She feels warm against my body, she reminds me of the feeling i long for that night. Her eyes look at mine and it stirred something inside me.

 

“ are you okay?”

 

“where am I?” she asks.

 

“ bus stop. West avenue.” I gesture towards the street sign to make her see that i am telling the truth.  “ Look, you should get on the next bus- same as me, that would be the last ride.”

 

She looks at me intently and the surroundings, then looks at me again. For a moment, she looks pensieve and as her gaze travels back to me- her eyes lit up. Like she finally realizes everything else or perhaps, she remembers what happened now. I felt relieved thinking that she is okay now and i can go home , but she says the worst thing ever.

 

“ are you human?”

 

What? I think this is worst than i thought, not only is she drunk, she is also stoned. And basing on her actions, she is so stoned that i bet the polce will come after us if they did as much as stare at us.

 

“ uh- yes.” I answer her evenly and she smiles even wider and grabs my hand.

 

“ this is lovely! Oh! Very! ” she dances a bit in joy and i look at her like she’s some freak at a carnival show. But she seems genuinely delighted, i know when someone is faking it- but she, she’s really joyful.

 

“ what’s your name?” i ask her casually,

 

“ oh! Forgive my manners, i’m not usually like this you know?” she huffs and stretches out her hand again. “ My name is Ciel.”

 

“ C.L?” I repeated,

 

“ no, just one word- CIEL – It means sky,” she explains but i am too stubborn to admit that i was wrong.

 

“ No, i will call you CL- That’s cooler.”

 

She seems to accept that and i reply, “ my name is GD. ”

 

CL nods at that and she looks up the sky, she furrows her brows and looks down at her clothes. Frowning, she clutches her clothes and she looks at me with pleading eyes.

 

“ Where do you live? I think your parents will be looking for you.” I tell her.

 

“ Uh- I am not from around here you know, it’s difficult to explain.” She says.

 

“ well, try me.” I challenged and she seems to consider that for a moment before she stays silent and speaks again.

 

“ I, I will tell you soon, but i have to find my – a- re ” she struggles for a moment, as if trying to recall something. “ a rel- relative of mine. Will it be okay if i stayed with you for the night? I will pay you when we meet my relative.”

 

This scenario is exactly how horror movies start and well-meaning strangers get killed by psycho slayers. But i look stronger than she is, i think. Plus, i cannot just leave her here, what is Minji gets stuck somewhere and no one helps her. Ugh.

 

“ Okay, but my house is not that accomodating,”

 

“ anything to keep me from getting drenched in this rain will be just fine.” She smiles at me and we both wait for the train to come by.

 

//

 

            Minji looks at me like i have grown a second head or something, I understand her wide eyes as she took in my drenched state but it’s not like she hasn’t seen me like this before. But my eyes travelled to where her eyes were practically glued and oh, it’s the stranger- CL that i am with.

 

“ you didn’t tell me you had a girlfriend?” are the first words out of and oh! If that wasn’t the perfect way to make the room more uncomfortable.

 

“she’s not a girlfriend, ” i cut in immediately and look at CL, she seems amused by this. “ she’s a friend, she is staying for the night- ”

Minji’s look gets even more horrified at every word i am saying. I do help people! I am not the good samaritan, but i help people once in awhile. My sister does not buy it, but i have to get this over and done with- i need to sleep. It’s a good thing this happened now, i won’t have to work the weekends and this Friday night is just pushing my buttons in all the wrong ways.

 

“ Uh, you can sit here, i will get you some towels and you look like the same size as Minji, my sister- ”

 

“ oh hi, ” she faces Minji and curtsies, she in curtsies to my sister and i can see the delight in her eyes. Ugh.

 

“ nice to meet you, I’m Minji, im Jiyong’s sister-” CL looks at her, confused.

 

“ I told her my street name,” i called out to minji as i headed towards my room to find a towel. I can hear her blab along to CL,

 

“” STREET NAME? “ She spits out,  “GD, alright, but inside this house, he is Kwon Jiyong- my brother. Let’s go to my room, you should find clothes. ”

 

I spot a blue towel that looks good enough for her majesty to use and i quickly ran towards the bathroom. Clean. This is why i don’t even people at our house, this is the only place where i can be myself (aside from when i am onstage, performing.). and having people who don’t know me, come share my private quarters is just too much to handle. She steps out the room, holding pajamas and she smiles at me.

 

“ your sister is nice and her clothes are amazing, is she a fashion star or something? ”

 

I grin at that, “ she wants to be a fashion student, did she let you see her wardrobe? ”

 

“ not really, but she let me catch a glimpse. ” she replies and i motion for her to go to the bathroom.

 

“ we have hot water, the towel is in there- and, help yourself to soap and shampoo.” I instruct her and she seems to understand what i am saying. It was probably a trick of the mind, when she asked me if i was human.

 

As i exit the bathroom, Minji yanks my arms and pushes me towards the sofa.

 

“ out with it, ” she states, her arms crossed over her chest.

 

“ I am tired, please- I need a shower and my bed.” I whine.

 

“ No, who is that girl? You never take girls home in here, even your friends, EVEN TOP! Your bestfriend, ” she clearly won’t stop this torture, so i stare at her as she talks. “ I love you, you know that, so you can tell me if you want this girl- i can deal with it. If you are serious with her, i can accept her, she’s really nice and not to mention- pretty. She can be the perfect model for my clothes and-”

 

“ SSSH. Minji, Sssshhhh.” I finally in and she glares at me. “ Look, number one- we are not together. I just met her and i agreed to take her to a relative of hers in the morning,”

 

She is not buying my explanation but i continue anyway,

 

“ is it so unbelievable that I helped someone?” I stand up and stifle a yawn, ugh. I really need that shower and CL needs to hurry up. As if on cue, before i try to knock and complain, she comes out fresh and clean. I look at her, surprised and she just smiles at me once more and mouths a thank you.

 

Minji on the other hand, whisks her away to her room.

   

   

 

 (GD and Minji's home)

            As the hot water hit my skin, i cannot help but feel relieved. Finally, this crazy day is taking a turn into the normal side of life. This things, they happen to me all the time. Relaxing showers, worry-free weekends and looking forward to my brunch date with Jia. I almost forgot, i need to make some adjustments cause i promised to help CL.

 

What was going through my mind, really?

 

This is what get people in trouble, when they meddle into other people’s lives. As i rinse the shampoo, i try to guess what time is it and how many more hours of sleep i can get before I have to be up and running again. Probably 2am. I have to be up by atleast 8 or 9. I still need to talk to CL. At the bus ride home, we did not talk much cause i had a nap and  i was woken up by CL just before we stopped over at our station.

 

I hear the bathroom door open and i call out.

 

“ Minji, please- i am tired. Let us talk tommorrow! ”

 

“” ugh, it’s CL.”

 

CL? I had the idiotic urge to cover my body, which i did with my bare hands and i moved to a corner. Wait, what? What was i doing? It’s not like she’s gonna jump me, and there’s a perfectly opaque shower curtain.

 

“ did you need anything? ”

 

“ I- I just want to say thanks for doing this for me, don’t worry, i will repay you when we get to my uncle’s house.”

 

Oh, so it’s an uncle.

 

“ about that, do you have directions to where he lives? ” i ask,

 

“ I have an address, Minjo said she’ll help me in the morning by searching it on her computer.”

 

“ oh, okay. Are you in a hurry? I need some sleep and i won’t be up till 8, and i still need to meet up with- with a friend. ”

 

“ oh= it’s okay, I just need to get there before sundown. If you want, you can spend a night there, i was told he has a nice house.” She says levelly.

 

I think my notion that this girl is rich and one of those royalty-types is true.

 

“ we’ll work it out,” i tell her and she seems to shuffle away.

 

“ thank you again, Jiyong.” She says in an almost whisper and i close my eyes to feel the warmth of the water once more.

 

//

 

This is definitely a dream. I am sure of it, really sure of it. But the part i am doubting is that, I am certainly in my bed and the texture of the blanket i am holding is too real. What makes it more difficult to believe is that, a warm body is pressed against mine and i am wrapping it into a warm embrace.

 

I am used to waking up alone and cold. Waking up to a dull ache in my chest and just, horrible things.

 

Not like this, Opening my eyes- i am greeted witht he sight of CL snuggled up against me and fast asleep. Like a man who touched fire, I let go of her immediately and scrambled out of bed- resulting into a loud thud as i fall off. Ofcourse, this wakes her up and i mentally want to slap myself for the lack of grace. I am usually smooth when it comes to women and close contact, but this girl just makes me act like a fool.

 

“ what happened?” she looks genuinely concerned as she rushes over to me.

 

“” oh- nothing, i was just surprised-“ I sit by the bed and she follows suit, checking my head and arms for bruises once she opened the lamp. “ why –why are you here? You’re supposed to be with Minji, ”

 

“ she looks like a sweet girl, but- she snores like a grown man.” She quips and i can’t help but laugh at that. She joins in the laughter as well, and just like that- all the tension in the room was gone.

 

“ you can have the bed, i will sleep on the couch-” i offer and move to pick up my blanket and pillows. She looks horrified at my suggestion,

 

“ NO! NO! LOOK, I’M SORRY, I - ” she panics and picks up her own pillow “ i did not mean to invade your space, your bed, i just- i don’t really know how you people do these things.”

 

There she goes again, talking like she is some kind of a different specie. But he’s just too weak to find out more, this can all wait in the mornign when he’d had some coffee and toast.

 

“ Look, it’s okay- i am not mad or what, just – let’s sleep okay? And talk in the morning,” i tell her and she seems to relax.

 

“ don’t worry, i will repay you when you go to my uncle’s house- you can stay there for a , vacation? ”

 

“ I Like the sound of that,”

 

//

 

The next time i wake up, i hear two women laughing and then talking and the sound of cuttlery and plates. There is a crick in my neck, from sleeping on the couch and as soon as i stirred someone is walking towards me.

 

“ you’re awake, ” she says and i open my eyes to see CL , with her brown hair tied up in a ponytail. With a frilly pink apron on, which i remember minji made for a costume party. She looked like those girl at hosts clubs in japan, but she looks like she can punch you in the face if yoour hands wander someplace else.

 

“ apparently, i am.” I manage to croak out and i sat up. Bad idea. I have morning headache.

 

“ OH! The prince finally wakes up! ” Minji coos from across the table and i can see that she is perfectly dressed to go out.

 

“” and why are you dressed up at 9 in the morning?” I ask, completely ignoring the cup of coffee CL suddenly hands me.

 

“ I have to buy fabric and it will be a long day to find the good and not pricey ones.” She explains. “ i told you a day ago abut this trip, don’t act like i didn’t.” She eyed me and i cannot admit that i forgot all about it.

 

“ ofcourse i remember, it’s just – you look like you’re going to a date or something. ” i hit jackpot, at the mention of the word, i see minji blush and choke on her toast.

 

“ what? No?!!” she protests and i just snigger,

 

“ whatever you say , ”

 

CL hand me some toast and bacon & eggs and i look at her and say thank you. She seems to be happy about doing these domestic things and i cannot help but miss those days when i felt well-taken cared for?

 

“ you didn’t have to do this,” i tell CL.

 

“ NO. It’s the least i could do, to cook- it’s been a long time since i last did this.”

 

Minji eyed the both of us, like she would a paricular dress that she wants to reconstruct. I have a feleing she has this notion that i love CL and we will get married. For all I know, she’s just ;loving the whole breakfast thing and the fact that she has a model like CL.

 

“ SO, About your uncle, did you see where he lives?” I ask and she looks expectantly at minji,

 

“oh, it’s not really listed because it’s a private estate but i was able to ask really nicely ’ she smiles at me, which means she used her natural charm to get what she wants. “ and they gave me direction, it will tke you less than an hour to get there,”

 

Her hand flourishes a printed copy of a map and is tudy it or awhile as i ate. My phone beeps and i am surprised to see a text message from Jian, asking if we are still on for the brunch. We always do this, have brunch on Saturdays and have a date till the evening.

 

“ugh, CL- Do you mind if we swing by a friend’s place first? ” i ask innocently and Minji scowls at me.

 

“ Jia can wait, you always do that brunch   everytime, CL needs your help.”

 

Clearly, my sister is not a fan of Jia and i ignore her. CL looks okay with my suggestion and she just nods.

 

As minji leaves us and we both cleaned ourselves to get out of the house, I find CL looking at our old photos. It pains me to remember that i avoided looking at those phototgraphs my mother poster, i cannot touch whatever she did with this house.

 

“ your family is lovely, where is this woman by the way?” she asks, and i know that she does not mean any harm. It’s a genuine question, but the ache in my chest resurfaces.

 

“ my mom, she’s dead.” I say with a clipped tone and she faces me, with obvious loneliness in her eyes.

 

“ i am sorry to hear that, i bet she was a wonderful person.”

 

“ yes, she is. ”

 

“ let’s go!”

 

I tell her with a much cheerful tone and we bundled up in my car. I don’t use this car when i go to work or to late night parties, it’s just too much to think about. I am too exhausted after work that i just want to doze off or stare into space at a bus. Plus, on late night parties i don’t trust myself to not crash it.

 

 

(Jia's coffee and pastry shop, the pink one)

We finally park over to “Serenity” the pastry and cofffee shop that Jia owns. It’s a little quiant place that caters to mostly college students and young adult workers. It’s been featured on maagzines countless of times and even on the local paper. I immediately spot Jia on one of the tables, looking over papers and i didn’t even remember that i have CL trailing along with me.

 

“ Hey! ” i greet her and she smiles at me, but her eyebrows shot up as she regards the person behind me. “ oh, this is my cousin, CL- I am taking her to a relative of ours after- and-” i reamble on and CL seems to get the idea and she steps in.

 

“ You must be Jia, it’s nice to meet you, ” she takes jia’s hand in a handshake and smiles sweetly as she looks around the place. “ this place is something, i’ve been to alot of places but this has something special in it. GD talks about you and he tells me i could not miss this place, you see, im from abroad.”

 

Huh. This girl is smart and well, she just save me from utter embarassment.

 

“ really? Thanks! And i would appreciate if you tell your friends to visit this place when they go to seoul.” Jia looks at me and motions for me to come over so we can talk.

 

“ uh, sit there, i will be back.” I tell CL and i hurry over to Jia.

 

“ some cousin you have there, all the patrons in here are staring at her like she’s some gift from god. And i admit it  too, she’s easy on the eyes.”

 

What is she saying? I look around in the store, and sure, everyone seems to be stealing glances at her.   A few of them are even taking pictures, but CL is completely oblivious. But, he does not seem affected as they are. Well, he knows she’s pretty but he does nto have the urge to stare at her or take pictures.

 

“ i don’t really know her that much, i don’t have ties with my relatives.” I explain and jia’s expression softens. Ofcourse, she knows all about me. All the good stuff and the skeletons in my closet. This reminds me of why i love her so much, cause i don’t need to explain myself to her. She knows me, since high school and this sense of familiarity is priceless.

 

“ so, the brunch is cancelled?” she asks.

 

“ no, it’s still early, what? 10:30? We can totally do it.” I retorted but she seems to make up her mind.

 

“ look, i will just let you both off with a large amount of caffeine and some pastries for your little roadtrip. ” she smirks at that as she gets two large paper cup things. “ I know that the last time you talked to a relative of yours was at your mom’s funeral. So, i won’t get in the way with your family reconnetion.” I try to explain and make her change her mind but she cuts me off again, “ you’ve been closed off for a really long time with them Ji, i think it’s time to talk to them. Even if it’s that girl or an uncle- blood relation is something different. ”

 

“ if you’re not mad or something that i had to cancel,” was all i can say and she hands me the coffee and a bag f pastries, telling the cashier that it’s on her.

 

“ no, I’m happy. You deserve this Ji, you have amazing friends, you have me for example,” i chuckle at that. “ but you need your family as well, Minji is a great kid but you need some adult supevision once in awhile”

 

I rest my case and waved goodbye. I cannot believe this went smoothly, That woman really understands me like no other. Too bad, CL and whoever her uncle is – is not relaly me relatives. CL chews happily at some pastilles and drinks her coffee.

 

“ so, where are you from? ” i ask,

 

“ I was born here in seoul,” she starts, obviously guarded with her answers. “ when i turned 6, i had to go away and after that i was going to different states. ”

 

“ oh, was your dad an ambassador? A diplomat of some sort?” i offer and she shakes her head with a yes.

 

“ look, i know you feel uncomfortable but i think i have the right to know what happened to you that night. I don’t even know if we should have called the police or filed a complaint. ”

 

“ no need, but i will tell you once we go to my uncle’s house. ”

 

 

(Heechul's Castle)

I accept that answer and we talk nonsense in the trip. As soon as we enter the private lands of her uncle, i now understand why they wanted to keep this place a secret. This is not a house, not even a vacation home or an estate. This is a mansion. A in – no, A CASTLE would be more fitting. Oh, i’ve gone to theme parks and this looks exaclt like one of those. Complete with brick walls, towers, weird looking flags, lovely garden, horrifying gates and just-

 

“ wow.” I exclaim and CL tells me to stop infront as someone approaches the car. It looks like a butler.

 

“ Mister Heechul told me you will be coming one of these days CL, i just didn’t believe it would be too soon.”

 

CL laughs at that and mr. Butler looked at me like i some peasant and should be thrown to the dungeons. Which i believe would be exactly fitting at the moment, CL wore clothes of Minji’s but she still has the aura of royalty.

 

“ Uh- i need to get going-” i speak up immediately and CL frowns.

 

“ NO, my uncle needs to see you and i promised you a vacation.”

 

“ it does not matter, i have to be home by sundaym you know-” i try to explain but CL comes closer and looked me in the eye.

 

“you saved me that night, you gave me home and brought me here. Do not insult me by trying to reject my payment.” She sounds sincere and at the same time intimidating that all i can do is nod and say yes.

 

“ oh- okay.”

 

She smiles once more and we are led inside. This place looks like a set for a movie that i won’t be able to afford to watch. The chandeliers and even the small light fixtures inside cost probably more than our house. The ornate chairs looked like it will  break if you sat on one of them.  Especially the one on the center with wood carvings and a seat that looked like it was hand painted by leonardo da vinci. The staircase was made of marble and I just feel so small and insignificant amidst of all these richness.

 

But CL looks at nothing of them but me and i realize that she is waiting for my reaction. Is she seriously afraid of what i will say with her house?

 

 

“ you live in a castle,” i state and she frowns at that.

 

“ it’s not as cozy and warm as your home, but yeah-”

 

What the helll is she saying? My house is better than this? God, this rich girl is definitely screwed up.

 

“ are you kidding? Is your uncle a duke or something? Though i know Korea does not practice monarchy or anything like count. A COUNT? ”

 

The butler clears his throat as if to prepare for a lecture but CL stops her.

 

“ why don’t you meet him yourself?”

 

She leads me to a garden and i am almost blinded by the variety of flowers and the fountain that  served as a centerpiece of the place. Heechul, did not look like anything like an uncle. I expected a middle aged man with a gold bathrobe or something like that. But no, he looks older thna us- that’s obvious but he looks stylish and we a closer look i can identify his signature clothes and shoes. As soon as he sees me, his eyes light up and she smiles like a crazy man as he sees CL.

 

“ FINALLY! FINALLY CIEL! ” CL rushes over to him and they embrace. Uncle Heechul looks over to me and takes my hand.

 

“ so, it’s you?”

 

You? Me? What is he talking about? CL looks at me and panic is in her eyes, she is trying to tell me something but Heechul just hugs me and looks at me like im the answer to world poverty.

 

“ so, you are a really guy to have found yourself a fairy! ” He says this nonchalantly and i stare at both of them wide-eyed. My mouth opened and closed, clearly not knowing what to say.

 

“ what’s wrong with him?” Heechul suddenly asks and CL comes infront of me, as if shielding me.

“ I haven’t told him anything yet, ” She speaks up.

 

“ clearly-” i managed to croak out and Heechul paled.

 

CL looks at me and her eyes are pleading, probably pleading for me to believe in her and not be angry. She takes my hand and the words that are coming out of almost made me pass out.

 

“ I am a Fairy-” she states slowly, “ you know, a magical being and all that .”

 

“ a fairy?” i mirror her words and i cannot still comprehend what she is saying. Is this a dream? A sort of elaborate joke?

 

I waited a minute or two, but there was no taking it back. CL closes here eyes, and suddenly, I see all those lights once more. Those small lights, the warmth and from where i was standing i can see what looked like wings from behind her. But she did not fly, she just stood there, holding my hands and not letting go. Grounded.

 

I never read any fairytale stories, or when i did, it was for Minji’s benefit. But right now, infront of my eyes- it’s standing infront of me. She is standing right infront of me.

 

“ how?” I ask,

 

She just smiles and looked relieved.

 

“ that’s a long story,” she smiles sheepishly.

 

“ we have all the time in the world,” I reply back.

 

That day, My life took that one step into the crazy and I didn’t know it will change my life. That one conversation that followed will shape the rest of my life. I thought, after this- there will be no more supernatural incidents.

 

Oh how wrong I was. 

-------

AUTHOR'S NOTES:

1. WOW. 15 subscribers in my first chapter only? Thank you very much to all those who read, subscribed and commented. I have wanted to write this for quite some time and i finally had the inspiration to continue it. 

2. Next update will be: January 10, 2012 See you then!

3. Please help me by recommending this story to fellow Skydragon shippers. Okay?