VI - Legends come to Haunt You

Fairylights

 

            The Legend of the Fairylights is an old myth passed down to generations. It’s purpose is unclear but many felt that it wanted to convey the message that beings of a different kind cannot mingle. A testament to the building blocks of the universe. There is a reason that magical beings and humans cannot co-exist. A reason why every being in this universe is divided into class, that’s the way it is. Always was. Some may argue that the legend is also about the general order of things and how no one should mess with it. Powerplay. History. But the most popular of them all was that it was a story about Love.

 

Any story about love moves an audience and so everyone believed that i was the core of the legend.

 

The wonders and perils of a strong emotion that is both important and a curse to both humans and magical beings.

 

There was once a powerful fairy god who was so fascinated with humans. Not because he loved them, but because he was so curious that he wanted to learn all about them. What was that saying again? Curiosity killed the cat? This was close to this.  Unlike the other before him, he saw it fit to learn about the other kinds of beings in the universe inorder to be stronger. Why he wanted to step into a world with no magic and filled with oridnary beings who had to use to do hard labor was beyond anyone. But maybe, for someone who lived in glory and safety- their entire body is just thrumming to feel the peril of real life.  So one day, he went to the earth and stepped on it’s grounds.

 

“ so this is it,”

 

He says as he took his surroundings in. It was no different. He felt weaker than usual in this place, primarily because the air held no magic and the place was polluted. The purity was lost. And so, he made himself a shield. A shield that can make him stronger. A group of lights that only the royal ones can make to protect themselves. As soon as it was up, he heard a rustle form the trees and saw a human.

 

She could not see him, a human was not supposed to see a magical being unless they wanted to. Plus, he is inside his shield right? So, why is she looking at him in wonder? Not past him, but directly at him?

 

“ what are you?” she asks.

 

He tries to ignore her, but she kept following him.

 

“ i see lights, circles ones- like the ones i see in the festivals. But i feel you-” she says and he stops in his tracks. Wasn’t this why he came down here? To study about humans? This is his chance.

 

And so, he succumbed to his curiosity and introduced himself. He said, it was neat a trick he learned and that he is  human. She led him to her village and he became a part of the town. Saying that he was travelling and that he was there for a fresh start.

 

Naturally, He fell inlove with the human and thought that it would go well.  but little did he know, there was someone who was desperate to find his secret out. The human was supposed to marry the another man but because of the charm of the fairy, it was forgotten. How innocent of him to actually believe that his whole life will be about joy. That is the difference with humans, we thrive in loneliness and pain if we do  not feel pain, we are not alive.

 

One night, while the fairy was practicing his powers, his secret was discovered. Spreading like wildfire, he was persecuted. Humans did not take too kindly against magical beings, add the fact that they were told about it’s deceit. How he charmed them into liking him. They held him captive and demanded power in exchange.

 

The fairy did not care at all about being persecuted or the weakness and hunger. What killed him the most was that the human he loved dearly could not even bear to look at him. Did not even seek him out or visited him. He would appreciate if he screamed at him or demanded explanation. But no, nothing. It;s not like he did not exist at all.

 

The league came to rescue her and the magical beings gave them gold as an exchange. The fairy asked for only one gift alone. That is to forget anything that happened on earth. To have his memory wiped so when he wakes up, it will just be another day in his castle.

 

It was granted and the Fairy had no recollection when he came back.

 

Many looked at it as a warning story. When one hears it, they automatically view humans as beings that should not be looked into. They are to devious for their own good and unjust. A cautionary tale, the tale of the fairylights. Any person who sees a fairylight will have the key to the magical realm and hold the key to the magical being’s desire. How unfortunate.

 

//

 

Heechul looked down at his lunch and frowned. He loves steak, he really does and the wine that goes with it is not bad either. But he hates it when he is eating alone. All the fine china and food was useless when you do not have someone to share it with. The best part about dining for him was the conversations that took place while they are eating. Stabbing the piece of meat, he mechanically shoves it down his throat and chews it.

 

His heart soars when he hears some guards talk outside. This means he has a visitor, but he knows who will visit him. This will be a difficult talk, he musters.

 

He is right, the doors flew open and he is greeted by the sight of CL. Her brown hair is dyed blonde and it was longer than usual. She is also wearing tight pants, a simple top and an outrageous leopard printed jacket.

 

“ it’s too early to wear party-club clothes.” Heechul said but CL smiled at him.

 

“I know, but someone played dress up with me.” She offers and sits down right next to him.

 

“ the blonde hair suits you,” he comments.

 

“ tell me about it. Everyone I pass by keeps on staring at me or turning their heads like they have seen a ghost or something similar. Good thing GD finds it suitable.” She replies and as soon as she realized what she said, she masks her moment of doubt and puts a calm face for heechul to see. But he did not miss it. There is something terribly wrong. Oh how true the curse of the fairylights is. And it runs in their blood.

 

But why now?

 

Why it is so strong now?

 

“ are you going to smile at me and make small talk or just come out with what you want to say?” he asks, as he hands he a glass of wine which she dismisses.

 

“ how about, i tell you as the day goes on. I am not ready to really tell you everything. ” she says and heechul respects that.

 

“ so, your powers- is it going nuts again? Power flares?”

 

“ it’s getting worst and the lack of magic in the air is just not helping to stabilize me. I thought everything will be better you know, that i can handle it. Cause i am a half human. I was a kid, i was 6, but i clearly remembered that everything was fine. I was not sickly. ” she complains.

 

“ that is because you are used to being human. But you have spent more than a decade in the magical realm. You have mastered your power and it won’t fair well to this place. The earth has changed if you haven’t noticed. The trees are not how they used to be, the flowers don’t bloom that well. Even the water, they don’t sing to me.” He states and suddenly misses the magical realm. He misses his friends and relatives. Even his little home by the river. But he couldn’t go back. One step into the realm and he will burst into flames. That was his punishment.

 

“ I found my mother by the way, she is staying over at an apartment and she will be back after a month. The tenant said, my mom will surely come back cause she still has her things- even her piano and a guitar in her place.”

 

“ that’s good news! A month won’t be too long, trust me, it will fly be. Just keep your head down from the league and that bloody leprechaun. ”

 

“ i almost forgot about him.” She says and remembers her supposed to be mission.

 

Kim Jonghyun. Top rank, wise, attractive and a dirty-hand type of leprechaun. Meaning, no one in the magical world wants to do business wiht him due to his reputation. Because of that, he moved to earth and did his selfish bidding in here. It can range from small town businesses to more illegal ones like drugs and guns. But Jonghyun’s nature was not for business and just the luxury. He wanted the danger and his mind is hard-wired for evil.

 

There are stories he was born in the wilderness and was left to fend for himself.

 

Stories that he now has a human body that a sprite granted for him.

 

“ that dude is sick, i’ve seen him you know? While i was walking the earth. ” Heechul replies and oushes his plate away from him. “ he really has a human body now and it looks good. I mean, for an ex-leprechaun? It’s one hell of an improvement. ”

 

“ is he doing the drug trade still? ”

 

“ oh yes, but he stepped it up a notch. The bastard added old incantation and some stuff from the realm to make it more addictive. ”

 

“ he what? No doubt the league is desperate to get him and kill him. Not even get him on trial, just kill him on the spot.”

 

They both went silent after that. CL contemplated saying what is on her mind right now. No one will understand and give sound advice but heechul right? There was a part of her that wants to stay silent and ignore it. Perhaps, if she keeps quiet then it will pass and not become real. But if she said it, if she said it out loud then it will make a big difference. If utters it and if her ears hear it from her.

 

She could no longer take it back.

 

It would be too late.

 

“ stop arguing with yourself CL, say it to me.” Heechul said reassuringly.

 

“ the things is, i think i am falling for the human. GD. I-” she trails off, checking if heechul will burst into an angry speech of how stupid she is but he just looks at her, asking to continue. “ I mean, he’s not that – how do i say this? I have seen alot of wonderful and handsome creatures in my life, ”

 

“ that bloody elf prince,” heechul says dreamily.

 

“ yes, take that for example. But i have not felt anything like this. He’s great you know? I never knew a human can do all that. He practically raised himself and his sister on his own. He did not complain once or tried to do something bad. Plus, he is working hard for his dream. He is such a good person and it’s an injustice that he cannot have what he wants.” She thinks about the way Jia rejected him and how he’d been silent and passive for that past 4 days. It was a good thing he was busy with the final touches and packaginf of the EP that he has something to do. “ and so i think there must be a reson why we met, that- that he deserves the wish and i will just- ”

 

“ is it really that hard to admit that you love him?”

 

“ i said, i think i am, I think- there is a difference-” she huffs and heechul rolled his eyes, as if to tell her- whatever you say. He understands CL. She never knew what it felt like to be loved, the last time she did was form her mother and that did not fair well. Everyone in the kingdom loved her, oh- they did. They adored the powerful fairy princess who was freakish enouugh to be half human as well. But they loved the title, they loved who she is- the princess. Not CL. Not Ciel.

 

“ so, why don’t we just talk about the fact that you will turn human if you do not act soon.” Heechul retorted and that caught CL off guard.

 

“ This was my plan all along. The king knows, even the royal family. A half fair does not live long. They either die because of a sickness or their power consumes them.” she replies bitterly.

 

It was a reason a union between a fairy and a human was frowned upon. Not only because they are of a different kind but because of the misfortune it brings to their innocent offspring. Even without the aid and gift of seeing the fairylights, magical beings can impregnate humans. It was a dark secret and not so new. Like the gods before them who fathered demi gods. Yes, they turned out to be heroes but their lives always ended in tragedy and death.

 

She could feel it. CL is at her prime age already. As a half human, she does not follow the fairy age but the human numbers itself. Her power is unstable now plus she is i this environment.

 

“ i won’t sit in that throne and wait for myself to die. To wait for this power to consume me. I won’t let the king imprison me in there. I would rather find my mother and turn human with her. Like a second chance in life. I was never supposed to be there , i was never meant to be in that magical realm.” She exclaims and stands up. She has to calm herself, or else, her power will not hold out nicely.

 

“ if that is your choice, i will respect you. Just tell me what i can do to help. I can only aid you in you expenses in the human world and some advice. ”

 

“ i have one question.”

 

“ what?”

 

“ what happens when i turn human? Is there a drastic change? Well, i know about the lack of power and that i would be susceptible to diseases like a human. Even the cold and warmth will affect me. ”

Heechul smiles sadly, she forgot the single and most important part of the transformation.

 

“ like the legend of the fairylights, You will forget everything. Your memory will be wiped out.”

 

 CL looked at him, gaping,

 

“ CL, You will forget about me. About the magical realm. Your human friends, GD. You will forget them all and start anew as a human. ”

 

“ I understand.” She replies with a restrained voice and turns to leave. She is an idiot to believe that the transition will be that easy. Somehow, she expected a shock or some cruel act.

 

Losing her memory was fit for it actually. Now that she thinks about it. Who would want to be a human when it means you will forget all those wonderful memories as a magical being? All those adventures and poeple that you met? The feleing that no one can touch you. It was a fit exchange, even a punishment.

 

As she walked down the corridor all she could think about was that, if a memory was strong and powerful enough it will never fade away, she just hoped her feelings are strong enough.

 

//

 

GD opened the package and his grin split wide than he intended. His heart may be broken, but his soul is very much intact. For the past days, people had been giving him the look of sympathy in every turn. It’s like someone died. A part of him died, but he cannot dwell on it. As teddy said, he must use that heartache inorder to make good songs.

 

“ heartaches are better if used them to make milllion dollar songs,”

 

He recalls the words and it worked. He had been writing alot these days and his favorite would have to be LIES. “Im so sorry but i love you, i just can’t lie.” It was the best lyric in the song and someday, hopefully, he can record that track along with TOP.

 

Holding the CD in his hand was like holding a delicate baby (but he hadn’t held one, this is just his comparison). This EP will put their name out there, hopefully, someone will pick this up and want them.

 

“ I’m home! ” the voice fills the house and GD turns to see CL, with a huge grocery bag in hand.

 

“ i feel like you are a hoarder when it comes to grocery,” he states.

 

“ No. I was just there to buy some meat and stuff. But there were vendors outisde who gave me fruits and vegetable for free.” She said, clearly proud of herself.

 

“ they what? They gave it for free? What did you do? Charm them or something?” he chuckles.

 

“ I did not! I don’t use my power to trick them like that- they are hardworking businessmen.” She smiles slyly, which means she used her charm to get what she wants.

 

“ i don’t believe you! ” he comes over and looks at the bags. Well, they could use a well-stocked pantry. He holds out the cd to her and she looks at it with joy in her eyes.

 

“ OMG! IS THIS IT?” she exclaims and GD nods.

 

“ well, what are you waiting for? Why don’t we listen to it now?” she drops the bags and washed her hands to pop the cd on the player. GD was fidgeting, he heard all the tracks before but this is different. A proper cd and it will be on strangers hands.

 

“ hey! Don’t worry, this CD will be sick. ” CL offers and track one plays.

 

They both listened to it for awhile then GD could not take it.

 

“it sounds pretty good,” he says.

 

“ what? Are you kidding me? This is fantastic! And it’s not even an agency produced record. You have the talent, and the lyrics are amazing.”

 

There she goes again, saying the right things. Saying the things that are made to make him feel better and maybe, just maybe, ease his pain. For the past days, she never left him. Unlike the others, she did not treat him like a bomb that will go off any moment. She treated him the same and even dragged him to lunch meetings and to look at information about her mother.

 

Then he realized how selfish he has become towards CL. He promised to help her and he will. He will support her, one month of waiting to see her mother – for sure, she is reduced to nerves about it. Add the fact that she seems to be keeping something from him as well.

 

“ thank you.” He says simply, but it means alot . Thank you for coming into my life. Thank you for saving me . Thank you for cooking breakfast and waking me up. Thank you for the company.

 

“ sometimes, i feel like you are not real-” the words are out of his mouth before he can even think about it. CL is quick to respond,

 

“what do you mean? ”

 

“ it’s like, you are someone i wished for.” He blushed at the implications of that. “ eversince my mother died, i always wished there would be someone to just be there for me. I mean, minji is there and all those friends but i cannot just lean on them as much as i want to. I have to pull back, scared that they will find me irritating in the end.”

 

“ well, you are irritating when you refuse to wake up when i say so,” CL replied cheekily and GD punched her lightly.

 

“ Like, you are someone i made up in my mind and i just cannot believe you are right here. Infront of me. ” he finally says the truth and CL turn to him, searching his eyes.

 

“ I am real Jiyong, you can touch me.” She says softly and their hands connect. They held hands before, but this was different. It’s like holding hands for the first time and they both knew this meant something else entirely. They both felt the invigorating electricity that each other’s aura gave away.

 

“what happens when we find your mother?” he asks suddenly.

 

“ I actually do not know. Legend says that when that happens, the memory of mother is erased.” Cl replies sadly, pulling her hand away.

 

“ you mean your own mother won’t even recognize you?”

 

“ yes- but you see. It’s just a legend. I am hoping though, even if she does not recognize me. Atleast she’ll remember that she had a daughter. ” tears are forming in her eyes and she tried to hide it. After years of working towards this goal, she cannot just admit to herself that it would all be futile.

 

“ but how will you make her remember? ” GD asks,

 

“ uncle heechul said something about a sacrifice and something else.” She cut off, trying to not add the part that somehow, she felt like GD can help her with his ability. “ I don’t really know. You must think i am crazy for doing this when she won’t even remember me. ”

 

“it’s your human side, hoping and all. And i don’t think fate or even- life will let you come this far without winning.” He offers

 

“ plus, i have an extraordinary human with me.” She laughs at that.

 

“ oh! Hey! I am extraordinary, you just listened to a great EP , You see? Plus, i helped you out- i even say the fairylights.”

 

He can see the fairylights.

 

“ about that, you said you’ve seen fairylights before?” she asks.

 

“ when my mom died, i saw it. And with you, but it was different. Those times, i felt the warmth, as if the lights are chasing me. But there were also times that i saw it for myself. From afar- ” he relates it and CL finally understands it.

 

“ You are one of those then, ”she states. “ they call them soul-catchers, people who see the fairy lights or magical beings without knowing. ”

 

“ like a third eye?” GD supplies.

 

“ you may say that, humans who see ghosts like they are no different. Look, you mind me asking, are your parents that way as well?”

 

“ My mom is pretty special, i can tell. She ‘s wonderful, but i don’t think she has the ability as well. I’ve said it  to her countless of times, i point it to her when i was young but she tells me to ignore them.”

 

“ how about your father? Do you know anything about him?” she asks lightly.

 

“ no, he left us. I’ve just seen pictures of him.” He says with constraint in his tone.

 

“ Look GD, that type of ability does not just pop up, there is a reason?”

 

“ why then? Does this have something to do with why my mother died? ” he retorts, anger lacing his words. “it was an accident. That’s all.

 

“A soul-catcher is born when someone makes a pact with a magical being. Like how i am going to grant you a wish, but that pact is simpler, just a simple favor or contract. But that human’s offspring will be granted a gift to see magical beings or manifestations.” She explains kindly. She does not want to upset GD, but he has to know, that he has this ability. It is part of him.

 

“ Please stop talking.” GD finally said, trying to contain his emotions. He does not need to listen to this anymore. “ CL, The only connection i have with that bloody world of yours is you . this pact we have and the joke of of the universe to drop you infront of me. That’s all. Don’t drag my family into this! My mom is dead, don’t insult her.”

 

CL looked floored. How did their conversation turn into this? They were talking awhile ago, even holding hands and understanding each other. And now this?

 

“ I am not insulting your mother Ji, it is considered an honor for both magical and non magicla being to honor a pact/bond. I am just curious to know how you got that ability and what it means, ”

 

“well stop being curious. I don’t care! This in ability gave me nothing but bad memories i could live without it. ”

 

CL tried to keep calm and reach out to GD who just stepped away, “ I did not mean anything bad about it. I just want to make sure why, why do you have that ability and no matter how much you hide the fact that you want to know. You can;t ignore it forever. Soul-catchers -- ”

 

“ i said stop talking. Okay?” he shouts and turns away. “ This bond- whatever it is that we have is for me to help you find your mom and make you remember right? That is all . please leave my life out of it. ”

 

“ I am sorry if i made you remember bad things. But i am here for you, this bond does not go one-way. This bond is between the two of us. ”

 

“ i don’t need you-” he said simply and the atmosphere changed. GD felt this power in his heart, that surge of power when he gets worked up or too emotional. Not the depression he feels, but a strong emotion like he wants to throw something and break it. He feels the heat in his entire body.

 

“GD, what’s wrong?”

 

“ I am fine. ” he replies as he grit his teeth. CL moves to exit the house but GD stops her.

 

“ stay here, i will go out and walk for awhile. ” he says and leaves.

 

CL stares at his retreating form and had the urge to run after him. That gut instinct that something bad will happen to him. But he needs time, he looks really upset and she will give him space. But it’s nagging her, GD is a soul-catcher?

 

//

 

How dare she imply that his parents were part of a magical world? He did not need that sob story to make him feel better about himself. He understands that CL wants to help him, he admits to himself that the fiary had beome an important part of his life as time passed by. But this is too much. A Soul Catcher?

 

He is different. He knew that, he saw those lights. Not only those like CL’s but others as well, like apparitions. Strange people stare at him sometimes but he shrugs it off. And now this? His life is changing and turnign and he cannot keep up. He has lived for years, all alone and he is the master of his own fate. He does what he wants. If change happens, he controls it. But this is different.

 

He feels it again, someone is looking at him. Catching the eye of s strange man, he walks faster but the weight is not removed. Someone is clearly following him.

“stop.”

 

The voice commands and he does. He cannot move. Like some thread is making him stop. Two people hold him down and a bag his stuffed on his head to prevent him from seeing anything.

A scent overpowers him and he loses consciousness.

 

“ what do we have here?”

 

He hears a voice say as he opens his eyes. Damn. He is in a garage of some sort. What is this about? Kidnap for ransom? Well, they will be disappointed. He has nothing to give them.

 

“ My name is Kwon Jiyong, i don’t have money okay?”

 

The man laughs hysterically, “ your human money may help me- but i have alot of those. ”

 

Human money? Is this man a magical being?

 

“ Ah! You realize now don’t you? Isn’t my human body wondrous? I love this body. It’s different, but i don’t need to control my magic that much.” He explains and GD is getting irritated by this man.

 

“ what do you want from me?”

 

“ oh, i just need that little fairy princess off my back.” He quips. “ I mean, she can go prance around in this place and look for her mother. But she must get the off my back and leave me alone.” His voice turned stern, almost wicked.

 

“ she’s not tracking you down, or anyone. She’s just looking for her mother.” He defends.

 

“ i have my people up there in the league , soul-catcher.” He smirks at that.

 

“ she is not hunting you down, so just let me go.” He says calmly, but the heat inisde his body is going crazy. He thought it was just heart burn before or his body just produces alot of heat. Some body imbalance. But not this. The man did not budge, he could not take a hint. He wanted to irk GD more, he had never seen a soul-catcher before and they always fascinated him.

 

A soul catcher is born when a human’s pact with a magical being is granted. Which is, close to zero. Magical beings look down on humans and there are virtually no reason for them to ask help without compelling them or plainly threatening. So, where did he come from?

 

“ don’t you like being called a soul-catcher huh? ”

 

GD flinches at that.

 

“ i don’t care. Just- let me- go- who are you? What are you?”

 

This is more fun than he anticipated. He can get that damn fairy off his back and get to know this soul catcher. This must be his lucky day. He walks towards the door to leave but faces GD.

 

“ My name is Kim jonghyun. And Kwon Jiyong, just so you know- You have just been kidnapped by a Leprechaun.”

===========

Author's notes: 

1. I have the terrible urge to explain more about CL's life and the fairy realm that she belongs too and i hope i will get a chance to explain more. but the problem is, this universe, where everything happens is outside of it, so all you can have are snippets and vague descriptions that they say in between conversations. it's sad, I know. i am too. We have two more chapters to go + Epilogue. I feel like, this story in itself is a prelude to a real established relationship. I feel like, unlike some fics i read or i write, this relationship is taking painfully slow to progress- but if you think about it, a human and a fairy will have to take the long road to being happy. as i said in the foreword, this is not a fairytale of sorts. they are both broken and damaged goods to begin with. 

2. In my head, I already have a sequel to this story but i am not promising anything. tentatively called "Spotlight". but i have no draft yet, so- this is just an idea right now. I may or may not do a sequel. 

3. AGAIN, A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone commenting and subscribing. It would be very very lovely if you help me advertise it. Either tag it on your tumblr or just- what. Next update for Chapter VII - We are beautiful, We are doomed will be out on January 27, 2012. pretty long wait right? that's cause i haven't finished the chapter yet and it would be pretty long and it's such a stubborn part to write. and also, it is the SECOND YEAR ANNIVERSARY of my skydragon family over at the SDK comm.