Chapter iii - speak nothing but the truth

Fairylights

 

“so, let me get this straight you both are fairy people but you are walking here on earth.”

 

GD clarified for the first time since the truth was out of CL’s mouth. He expected something surprising, he knew that the girl was different and that he should be prepared for the worst. His mind conjured images of royalty, drug relations and even crimes but not this. Never this. He should be more skeptical, but as he took in the look of the castle and the obvious wings that Heechul sprout awhile ago. Well, it’s pretty clear what is really happening.

 

CL looks at him, trying tp gauge his reactions. She never wanted to let a human into her  mission here on earth. Heechul, a fellow fairy is the one who can assist her and not even at most in fear of the others. But he could not say no to her, he had a life-debt to repay to her deceaased father. But this human, this interesting young man just happened to be in the right place at the right time. She wonders for a moment if this meeting was one of those good karma or a very bad idea. But as she gazes over his form, and see how hard he is trying to stay calm and understand everything- she smiles at this turn of events.

 

“ Welcome to our world,” Heechul said, breaking the silence. He knew it was his fault that the human was feeling uncomfortable. But he should get used to it. Dealing with magical creatures such as them was a nasty business. But he feels like this GD will be fine. He was never one to believe on fate or destiny. Then again, what are the chances of the two of them meeting anyway? There is some higher power, pulling all the strings of the world and we are all puppets.

 

He calls for the butler to bring them a drink and GD visibly slouches on the chair. He has two options, he can either run out of the house and go back home. Another option, he could ask some more, get to the bottom of everything and find a new world. Literally.

 

“ tell me everything,” he speaks up.

 

“ you don’t have to get involved.” CL frowns and heechul huffs in frustration.

 

“ Ciel, stop that. The human here looks clearly intrigued. Plus, you can use his help and you know about the exchange when a human helps a fairy right? ”

 

GD perks up at that, what are they talking about? Is this some kind of tale where they give him gold in exchange of his help? Wait, those are leprechauns! He mentally kicks himself.

 

CL is apprehensive, trying to think of ways to say some parts of the truth without revealing all too much. She needs his help and she has the feeling that this man will be a part of her life in the long run. It was really a trivial feeling. As a fairy and a magical being, no emtion is a question to her. No emotion is too complicated to decipher and even explain. But this man makes her question her reactions and feelings. Like, he is waking the human side of her.

 

Like, if he touches her- she will transform into a mere human.

 

An irrational belief rises up in her that if this man gets close, she will be stripped of from the other world.

 

And the terrifying part is, she is not scared at all.

 

She regards her once more and plops down on the floor infront of him. She hates the lush chairs, she was never used to them anyway.

 

 


“ You see, i came here - ”

 

“ she escaped to get here- practically disobeyed the entire league of governors. ” Heechul said pointedly and CL rolled her eyes at him.

 

“ i will get there okay? Can you please let me tell this on my own?”

 

“ as you wish your highness,” CL hated that word but she ignored it. The important matter is to explain to GD everything. She promised, didn’t she? That she will explain and then repay him for his kindness.

 

“ I escaped from our Land, i refused to do one task. It was supposed to be here, Here at seoul and it’s been a long time since i’ve wanted to come back here. I was about to hunt down this leprechaun doing illegal transactions in here but that was not important. I just had to ignore that and come down here.” She started,

 

“ why? What’s with this place anyway?” GD asked, genuinely concerned at the tale of the fairy.

(the castle garden)

“ I am a half-fairy, ” she stops a moment as GD looked surprised at that. “ My mother is a human. As a child, i did not show any powers yet that’s why i was sent on earth to be with my mother. They thought, i was a freak.  ” She flinched at that word, she was so used to everyone calling her that but saying it herself was far too painful than she expected. “ but when i turned 6, i started to have all these powers and it was out of control. One night, members of the league snatched me from my bed and took me away. ”

 

She tried hard not to remember that night, how scared she was and the useless screams she did. How her mom did not even come and get here no matter how many days she waited.

 

“ I know what you fell GD, like everything is not real and you will want to wake up.” She offers. “ I was like that too, when they led me to the other world. I was 6, ofcourse i knew about magic , fairies, princes and all of those but i was pretty terrified. It got worst cause i was different?”

 

“ How?” GD asked, finally able to find his voice.

 

“ She’s a princess, royalty.” Heechul spoke up. This time, CL did not  argue. This part, she finds it hard to talk about.

 

“ It may be a different world from where you live in, but politics is as strong in there as well. Just imagine this half-fairy who can’t even draw out a proper light without her power going ballistic. This kid comes along and she’s not even entirely a magical creature and what? She’s a princess?”

 

“ Everyone doubted me, Even my father was not sure what to do with me.” CL continued. “ He was torn between pleasing his land and taking care of a long lost daughter. But everything went well. I was accepted. I was able to learn and master my powers- but it was never the same.”

 

A moment of silence hung in the air as she stopped. It was different, finally saying all of these things out loud. Like, if she was able to retell her story, the pain and the loss will lessen. But it was still there, no matter how many years has passed. Telling it to strangers lightens the burdern for awhile but she realizes that it’s her own memories.

 

And memories, when they are particularly strong- They never fade away.

 

“ It was a lovely place, as a human i found everything fascinating and different.” She spoke with particular fondness with the good recollections in her mind. “ But, i had to go back. It was not my home you see. They will do fone without me, i can control my powers now. ”

 

CL stopped. This is all she can tell GD right now. That is all he needs to know.

 

“ what is my part in this?” He asks suddenly,

 

“ Your part is to help CL find her Mother. ” Heechul explains. “ not only that, her mother’s memories were altered at that particular night. So, you may see her but she will never recall that she had a daughter. ”

 

GD felt sorry for CL suddenly. It was really a plot for a story book, with a fairy princess who wants to find her human mother once more. Heartbreaking and profound at the same time. And what is his part in this? The righteous human helper? He almost laughs at that thought.

 

“ Look, seoul- even korea is not that bug of a place to look. We can peek at records or what, you have powers right? It won’t be that hard.” GD said, trying to console her.

 

“ thank you- but it would not be that easy. Aside from the fact that the league is looking for me, i don’t even know how my mother will have her memory back. ”

 

“ I will do it,” he replies without hesitation.

 

“ well, you will be repayed by something every human wants.”

 

“what?” he asks, anticipating the promise of gold or probably expensive jewels.

 

“I will grant you one wish. One wish alone. ”

 

GD registered her words but his mind kept on short circuiting. Wish?

 

“ aren’t those for genies?” he blurted and the two fairy beings doubled in laughter.

 

“ oh, this human is amusing!” heechul exclaimed.

 

“ I understand that thinking and you are right. Our kind, cannot grant wishes like that. But I am part of the royal blood, our blood and power is potent. Even if I am a half-fairy, they tell me my magic is not reduced. ”

 

“ that’s what makes Ciel very special and valuable to the king and his people.” Heechul added.

 

“ but i am not that strong. It won’t be long..” she trails off and changes the subject.

 

“ Are you telling me that if I help you find your mom, hide you from this league of fairy guards and make your mother remember-” he takes a breather and goes on talking,  “ you will grant me a wish . one wish, no matter what it is.

 

“ I cannot raise the dead thought,” CL supplied.     

 

“ Okay, but you will grant my wish. One wish.” GD clarified.

 

“ Yes.”

 

“ Then it’s a deal, Fairy Princess CL.” He smirks at that and CL tried hard to not blush.

 

“ keep your mouth shut! It’s CL for you, i doubt Minji will appreciate you calling me that. ” she laughs and Heechul narrows his eyes at the obvious closeness of the two.

 

“ oh, what about that? Are you going to live here with your uncle heechul? ”

 

“ GAHHH! Stop calling me that, i feel over a hundred years old.” Heechul complained. “ No. She cannot, she will continue living with you and don’t worry. I will pay her expenses and human money. Plus, it’s not like i can leave this bloody castle. I am on house arrest for sake,”

 

CL nodded at that and GD’s mind started to churn again. Was there no end to surprises and impending explanations every minute. He wonders.

 

“ I can hear you thinking boy,” heechul quips. “ i am not a mass murderer fairy or what,”

 

“ then what are you- I mean, can’t you atleast tell me everything there is to now today? All these surprises are screwing my head,”

 

 GD knows what he is asking for is difficult. There will always be times like this, what does he expect? They are not even of the same specie. But somehow, he wants to know everything. If he will help CL, he needs to know what he is up against. He battled with poverty, loneliness, grief and illness through his life but this will be different. He cannot tell if he will come out a winner on this one but he will try.

 

He gets a wish in the end right?

 

“ Im sorry, i know it’s confusing. Not to mention, frustrating but we will tell you what you need to know. You understand?” CL says, “ you will know what you need to know inorder to help me the best way you can. And besides, there are things and facts about me that you have no concern for. I wish not to tell them to you as well. ”

 

“ Well, for my part, this is all you need to know. I was exciled and placed on house arrest in this bloody mansion because i helped a human who screwed me up.” Heechul states plainly but refuses to tell more of his story. GD accepts that, not because he respects the man’s decision to keep the secrets to himself but because his head is throbbing.

 

“ i need sometime alone to rest, if you don’t mind.” GD finally says with his tone obviously weak and wary.

 

“ ofcourse and again, I am sorry if we are keeping things from you. Thank you for helping me like this . I know humans are prone to distrust and all. But i will fulfill my end of the bargain, You will have your one wish come true,”

 

CL promises and as GD gazed upon him he felt something warmth all over his body. Was this some kind of fairy hocus-pocus?

 

“ is this all. I mean, a verbal agreement? Won’t there be a contract or something?” The human in GD surfaces again and heechul looked at him with a sly grin on his face.

 

“ ofcourse, i shall set the spell to activate it and bond it. I will also be a witness,” Heechul said and CL whipped her head to look at him. What the hell was he saying? Fairies cannot break a promise to a human. Plus, she’s not the type tp run away and deceive someone. Well, she deceived those from the league- but that’s a different story!

 

“ what? ” she asks,

 

“ Oh, Ciel. You are really young, did they not teach you? I know this cause i created the same bond with a human, remember?”

 

“ but you got tried and arrested, ” GD cuts in and heechul frowns.

 

“ shut up and just follow your elder and we can all take a nap! We all need it! ”

 

They both stand up and faced each other. CL reached out her hand, she knows that some bond like this was done with the joining of hands and an invinsible thread of magic tying them together.  But Heechul has other plans.

 

“ You need to seal it with a kiss, ”

 

“ WHAT?” they both protested.

 

Heechul tried to keep a straight face as he explained. “ come on! A sense of intimacy is important to create a bond. Plus, you are not from the same specie.  And you, GD- you know the story. Judas kissed Jesus-”

 

“ that was a sign of betrayal you old man! ” he retorted.

 

“ nothing, just kiss each other and get it done. No tongue, just lips and sweet-”

 

“ you are disgusting,” CL cried.

 

“ oh no you don’t get to complain little princess, face this like a strong woman and not a whiny kid. ”

 

Heechul knew that CL hated being taunted as weak and as a little girl. It worked, CL looked determined and faced GD again.

 

“ I have it in good authority that I am a good kisser.” CL stated seriously.

 

“ well, thank for that.” GD said and he came closer, CL met him halfway.

 

It was nothing at first, just a soft press of their lips as heechul moved his hands and said some words. They both felt the energy and soon, both their mouths were moving. GD nipped her bottom lip and she groaned- opening in the process and allowing him access. Their tongues twined and explored each other’s mouth with only mission and that is to satisfy each other.

 

As GD cupped her face, the kiss settled and eventually stopped. CL looked dazed and tried her hardest to keep her composure and not blurt out that it was her first kiss. GD looked away, keeping the frown in his face and he was just so tired.

 

“’ THERE YOU GO! ” Heechul cheered. “ Goodluck kids, ”

 

He called the butler once more and told him to lead the two to their own rooms and take the food in there as well. Truth is, a kiss was not needed. A simple connection of the hands was enough to create the bond. But he had a theory and that kiss just made him curious about the outcome. But he was sure it will not be a fairytale ending.

Come on, the other is a half-fairy and the other is a human who was just in it for his own gain. Fairytales like that always ended in fire and destruction.

 

But that kiss was magical, he can almost feel it by just looking at them. Atleast they will have that to remember. That one innocent moment, they can hold onto that. Nothing else matters.

 

//

 

He is so tied that he felt like he could gobble up some dinner when it truth, it was still too early for that. It was 2 in the afternoon and as much as he wants to walk and explore the entire castle he had no energy t do so. GD prides himself in his power to have the energy to balance his school and responsibilites when he was young. And now, he can work long hours, take care of his sister, be a good friend, go to gigs and spend time with Jia. But this business with an other world is just draining all his energy out.

 

His mind went back to the idea of a wish. Who wouldn’t want that right? Winning th elottery pales in comparison with that. But the one question still begged to be answered, what did he really want in his life? What is the one thing that he would want?

 

Maybe it was not that fortunate after all.

(inside the castle)

A knock comes on his door and he shouts the word enter. Not bothering to look who came in. His question was answered later when CL comes into view. She is wearing a long dress of white and it suited her perfectly. It’s funny how he felt that she was royalty or something and it turns out, he’s right after all.

 

“ hey, are you okay?” she asks.

 

“ the bath and delicious lunch did wonders but i am still thinking alot- my mind just won’t shut down. ” he offers.

 

“ again, i’m sorry but you had to know- you wanted to know. ”

 

“ Just give me some time and a goodnight sleep. After that, i would be alright. There is nothing a good sleep won’t cure. ”

 

He smiles at her, trying to make her stop worrying. In reaiity, she should be guilty about all of this but GD does not want to burden her more. He heard her story and although he was not there, he could tell that she suffered alot. He knows what that felt like- being different from others. While others talked about girls, party and drugs. He had to worry about where they will get their dinner, tuition, squeeze in dance/rap practices and get good grades.

 

“ So, i think- you should tell me about yourself, ”

 

The question caught him off guard, but she looked sincere so he gave in.

 

“ my mother died when i was young, so i had to practically raise myself and minji.” He said, as if that will automatically explain everything about his life.

 

“ I knew a sense of independence in you- you’re very strong GD.” She smiles up at him and he only nodded.

 

“ But, my passion is really for music. Or, anything to do with performing arts. I can rap and write songs- even produce music. ” his words stumble out fluidly, this is his favorite topic in the world. He may seem quiet and observant oftentimes, but when he talks about his dreams and about music- it was effortless. “ there is really something different about music you know? I know, it’s just words and melody and some people find it inferior compared to let’s say- a painting or a proper book. But Music is the easiest way to connect to people and to deliver a message. A song makes you happy or sad. You know, growing up- i never had the money to go to an art show or even buy a good book. Music was all i had, even for a boy who had no money and even parents to his name, I had music. It was there for me. ”

 

He finally noticed that he was speaking far too long and that he zoned out and just rambled. Turning sheepishly to CL, he expected to find a look of irritation or boredom bu what he found was genuine interest. Almost as if this being believed every word he said and took it all in- understanding him. As a kid, he always thought he was a bit mad for being passionate like this. Maybe all it took was someone as insane as him to understand.

 

“ I enjoyed music as well, when i was here as a human. My mother was a music teacher and she teaches piano lessons at our house.” She shares and GD immediately feels a sense of connection.

 

“ that’s cool. Uhm. How about in the other world? Do they have music there as well? ”

 

“ oh, ofcourse they do- but it was all diva singing and string instruments.” Cl huffs in annoyance. She appreciates and knows it’s hard to sing that well, but it was not her cup of tea. “ i still have access to the human world. With the help of Uncle Heechul. So don’t feel like i know nothing of popular culture. I happen to like Nicki Minaj and Lady gaga.”

 

GD’s laughter fills the entire room at that.

 

“ You continue to surprise me CL, You really do. ”

 

“ I’ll take that as a compliment.” CL replies. “ But, it’s just weird you know, that i ended up in that place with you when i first came here in the physical world. I just about ran across and crossed the line between our worlds and there you are. I don’t believe in fate, but-”

 

“ it was almost like fate, ” GD supplied and CL agreed.

 

“ I was unconscious for awhile cause it’s been years since i crossed and i was not even aware. I was just a kid and i had the league guards take care of me.”

 

“ You were out- I actually thought you were drunk. ” GD said truthfully.

 

“ You just saw me lying there? ”

 

“ no- i actually saw these lights. Small circle lights,  it was familiar- i saw them once when i was a kid.” He said with a clipped tone. “ Then I ran, cause it was scary- those- those lights as if they are going to kill me. But suddenly, you were there- like you dropped infront of me.”

 

CL looked at him in wonder. It was impossible. A human who can see the fairylights?

 

“ you said you saw it too as a child?” she asked.

 

“ just once. ” he clarified.

 

“ Humans who see the fairylights are special- ” CL said, trying to hold her tongue for saying more.  GD only laughed a little at that and proceeded to turn around to properly lay down. It was a cue for CL to leave and let him rest.

 

“ I don’t think special is as good as some people think. ”

 

He whispers back and CL made her way out.

 

//

 

She traipsed down the stairs and her whole body demanded some fresh air. She needed the time to think. She had been planning this trip/mission for years, but most of it is how she would escpae. Heechul had been getting information for her but could not physically go and follow or validate the leads.

 

At the entrance door, she sees heechul looking over her.

 

“ he can see the fairylights,” he said cautiously.

 

“ yes- he could and i cannot see anything wrong with that. Plus, it’s a myth. ” she replies, trying to hide the defensive tone on her uncle.

 

“ A Myth? Look, Ciel. Your mother was the only human after hundreds or thousands of years who saw the fairylights and what happened? She possessed the love of a great magical being. Your father, the king. ”

 

“ I don’t think the king is such a great being- if he were, he would not have tossed me aside when i did not manifest nay power.” Her voice rised in anger. “ my mother did not get any love, ofcourse, she loved my father. But him? I don’t think so- he left her alone. He made the league guards hunt her down like some animal and erase her memory. That is cruelty. You don’t practice cruelty to someone you love.”

 

She almost screams the last words and gets out. Heechul cannot follow her out the entrance door, or else an alarm will go off.

 

It was nothing. She kept telling herself. A coincidence. GD is just someone special, like those humans with thrid-eye and can see ghosts like normal people. Her mission will be completed no matter how hard it is. She will take back what was stolen from her, he life as the human Lee Chaerin with her mother.

 

Love was not real. She does not believe in love at all. For everything you love will one day be the one thing that destroys you. The one that will faily you and Failure leads to anger. Anger leads to hate.

 

As she looked at sky and closed her eyes she pictured herself as a child, playing on their backyard and she felt physically ill with longing.

 

“ I will come back, wait for me. ”

====

Author's notes: 

1. To those who are new to the way i write, which i think- practically all of you. each chapter of mine has a minimum of 4,000 words. it's not a rule thing, you see, as a reader myself. i hate it when fanfic writers put out like 1-2k words and call it a chapter. i just want to punch them. T________T 

2. The next update, Chapter iv : can you hear my hopeful heart? will be released on January 14, 2012. see you then!

3. and ofcourse a little thank you banner!