V. your heart was made to be broken and mended

Fairylights

 

Valentines Day

 

            Minji almost punched her bedroom door as soon as she realized what day it was. Valentines. Well, she would be practically happy about it, but it turns out, the man she dated the past days was a douchebag. He said something about minji being one of the girls he is dating. He droned on and on about being young and ‘fishes in the sea’. He even had the nerve to tell her to live a little and have fun, they needed other choices, he said. She won’t settle for being a option. She deserves more than that. So, here she is, valentines day and with no chocolate to give out. Or if she did, she hopes to god that their teeth will rot and fall off from the lies these boys kept spewing.

 

Can’t they get jailed from that? If they will, cheating will be non-existent.

 

“ i can almost hear you talking-” she is pulled out her thoughts as CL comes in with a pink box in hand and hands it over to her.

 

“ happy valentines day!” she greets her and minji opens it to find a lovely necklace.

 

“ OMG! WHAT! ” she exclaims and fishes it out and allows CL to put it on, “ it’s wonderful, you shouldn’t have done this- ”

 

“ it’s okay, I knew you’d be sad about what happened and i wanted to cheer you up. No girl, as wonderful as you should be in low spirits on valentines day. ”

 

“ Thanks”

 

She responds and she really does feel thankful. Not only about this gift but with CL as well. Atfirst she did not like it and found it weird that her brother took home a girl and let her live them. But with their interactions, she believes that GD wants to help her by allowing her to rent here. They had a good place, it’s in the city but perfectly quite. A historical site, so there were few modern stuff added to it and no new roads were built to keep it less polluted.

 

She’s like the sibling she never had.

 

She loves GD but there are things you cannot tell a boy and have a reaction that you like. Take for example, as she talked about her heartbreak, CL did the sensible thing and comforted her. GD on the other hand went beserk and demanded to know where the guy lives so he can punch him and tell his mother how cruel a son she produced,

 

“ and you? ” minji asked, “what will you be doing?”

 

“ in the city, looking for my mother.”

 

She told minji about her mother and that she needs to see her. Minji believed her and promised to help as well. But the search was futile. She feels it. Her mother is not here in seoul. The contacts she went too were supposed  friends of her mom and they told her stories about her mom. She is doing well and it makes her happy. She is contented with stories now.

 

“ i hope you see her real soon. Though i know how hard that would be, without the help of authorities. ”

 

“ I know , but i can’t. My father. ”

 

She said finally and walks away. She needs to fix breakfast and wake GD up. It was someting she needs to do. Today is an important day for GD and he needs the proper nutrition for it. He still has to go to work and that date that will decide his fate in the evening. She smiles at the thought. Minji calls out to her but she was not listening,

 

“ i’m sorry, what?’

 

“i said, it’s too bad your father does not want you looking for your mother.”

 

“ yes, so, i really have to do this all on my own.”

 

Leaving after that, Minji proceeded to be more positive for the day ahead. CL on the other hand thanked the fact that she said a different version of the truth. Well, it was the truth- her father did not want her looking for her mother and getting intouch with the human world. She grips the handle of the doorknob and felt weird, wait, did she just crush the knob?

 

. Her was grip is too strong.

 

Her powers had been going crazy and unstable once more. She clenches her hand and breathes deeply. She is the master of this power, not the other way around. She can control it. No sounds were coming from the room, which means GD is still asleep. Good.

 

Opening the door, she is greeted by the sight of GD fast asleep and looking perfectly safe. The light hit his face in the right angle that made it look like he glowed. Ofcourse, humans don’t glow but if they could- this moment would be a perfect depiction of it. Sometimes, she felt like GD is not human as well with how much he can affect her. Humans held no allure for Magical beings. But he is different. Ofcourse he is, he can see the fairylights. But it was futile and it is not the right time.

 

Will there ever be a right time? She wonders. If she sees her mother and gets her life back. The heartache and disappointment will be worth.

 

GD stirs and so she comes closer,

 

“ hey! Lover boy-about-to-propose, wake up” she calls out and GD mumbles sleepily.

 

“ i am not about to propose.”

 

I was a joke, really. And it was all because of seungri. He caught wind of  this date that GD arranged and jumped into the conclusion that he will propose. Soon, he recevied emails from co-workers and friends telling him words of advice and words that aimed to make him feel brave in popping the question.

 

He nearly strangled seungri todeath but he will get jailed and not have a date with Jia. So, he kept calm and passed it all with a smile.

 

It is a big deal. It really is and his stomach is staring to fill up with butterflies.

 

“ I know, i was joking. But youhave to wake up if you want to let this day start real good. Which means, you can grab a break fast and be early for work.” She explains as she pulls the sheets away from him.

 

“ you should stop being this nice, i might get used to it.” He says as he sits down.

 

“ well, that way- you won’t be able to forget me . ever. ” she says playfully but they both know that it is the truth. They will never forget each other.

 

“ okay. Okay. I will be going, you’re right. This is a big day for me. ” he finally says and makes his way to eat breakfast.

 

His nerves are killing him. Everything is going to be fine but the end part was something he was not able to prepare for. That would be the surprise of the night and the most important one. He knew what he is going to wear and what he’ll say. But that was irrelevant. The big thing today is what she will say. Will she say yes? Say i love you back?

 

She spots minji, all smiles and with a dress on.

 

“ have a new guy?” he asks.

 

“ No, i just realized that I am a pretty and single girl on valentines day and that is not a bad thing.” She points out as she picks a toast and CL smiles at her. “ it keeps my options open.”

 

GD looks at CL and mouths a thanks. He knows that she’s taking care of Minji as well. Sometimes, he is not even sure who is helping who.

 

“ you keep spoiling us with great breakfast,” GD Mentions again.

 

“ well, that’s all you will get from me. Breakfast is all i know. ” she replies back and they all resume eating. It was going to be a big day and everyhting was looking up and it almost felt like everything will be fine.

 

Naturally, they are wrong.

 

//

 

 “ You can do this man!” seungri called out to him for what seemed like the hundredth time for the past days. He knows the kid means well but it’s just pissing him off and working his nerves all awry.

 

“ please. Please, for the love of god, shut up.” He retorts and seungri looks amused all the more.

 

“ look, i am here for you, cheering you on”

 

“ i know. I know, but i came here to work to actually forget about what will happen tonight. Okay?”

 

He says and seungri stops for a moment.

 

“ you think she’ll say yes?” his voice is all serious and business. Like, he suddenly shifted from teasing and beinc a to a friend. “ i know you’re not proposing to her. So?”

 

“ i have no clue. Absolutely no clue.” GD replied truthfully. He does not.what he knows is thatt hey are relaly good friends and they both know that being friends will no longer be enough in the long run. She cares for him, she proved that countless of times and they adore each other. They understand each other.

 

Isn’t that enough already?

Among their friends, it was all clear. Jiyong loved Jia. Jia belonged to him. Although they had partners before, it was all in their minds. One day, they will stop dancing around each other and just get together. Testing out strangers and getting their hearts broken inorder to be prepared for each other. And it was sweeter that way isn’t it? Like what happens in dramas, when the heroine is too sad about the stream of men that all seem to be mister wrongs. Then one day, a perfect stranger walks in but he is not a stranger, he’s some childhood friend of hers. That is what they are, he thinks.

 

When everything fails, Love remains. Isn’t it?

 

“ should i know? Should i have some clue if she’ll say yes?”GD turns to seungri. He cannot believe he is having this conversation with seungri. TOP will be his first choice. The guy is his bestfriend plus he knew Jia and him back in middle school.

 

“ i think you do man,” he responds. “ i understand the whole leap of faith thing, seize the day and carpe in diem. But, isn’t it, a bit too late for that? ”

 

“ what do you mean? Everyone knows, our friends know, that we have this thing between us. And i am taking the step to point it out and take it to another level.” He says, with confidence in his tone. But as he said it, he realized how wrong it was.

 

“ everyone knows?” seungri mimics him. “ but does she know? I mean, i understand , they are your friends. But that. Does she know? That’ what’s important. Does she know you love her? Genuinely love her? Cause this girls man, they can be thick sometimes. ”

 

“ she does. She knows i love her. ” he says weakly.

 

Maybe if he said it out loud, it will happen and be reality.

 

“ you will know tonight right?” seungri says finally. “ is the date set?”

 

“ yeah. The venue is okay. Thank god it won’t rain today or the candles to be setup will be ruined and the roses will be all over the place. And not that windy as well.”

 

He runs down everything for the date to be perfect. He just needs to gather his courage up. He had been thinking about this. Since they set a date for this valentines thing, although they haven’t seen each other since that day CL and him went to the cafe. The details are fine, everything is fine. It is set.

 

Then he realizes that he hasn’t thought about what will happen after that. There was no use thinking and trying to plan things that you have no control of.

 

All or nothing.

 

“ i wish you the best GD.” Seungri finally says.

 

“ i wish myself the best as well.” GD chuckles and it’s not funny at all. In the back of his head, he knows what Jia’s answer will be. He knew what she will say but he pushes it further back.

 

“and what about that other girl you’re seeing, C- CL? ” he suddenly asks and GD glares at him.

 

“ she is my cousin you idiot!” he retorts and a small smile played on seungri’s lips.

 

“ oh really? So, can i like- date her or something?” GD looks at him, hoping that he will take the hin and leave. But this kid is just so exuberant, he stays there, waiting for his reply. Did he seriously think GD will allow him to date CL? CL is a fairy princess for crying out loud. She deserves a whole lot more than a whiny young adult.

 

“ if you don’t get out of my face any second, i will kick you off the building.” He barks and seungri feigns in a mock show of being scared at his threats and leaves.

 

 

That annoying and surprisingly insightful git made him think. He had to hope that things change from when they were kids. They are practically different people now. And from what he knows. True Love, it grows. It takes time.

 

And he took enough time.

 

She’s worth it anyway.

 

//

 

“ You can do this Ji. I believe in you. ” she tells him this words and hopes he can see him the way she does. GD sees himself as an average guy who needs incredible amount of luck to make it. But she sees him in another light.

 

He is GD. The guy who helped a girl who clearly could have caused trouble for him. Accepted who she was and alhtough he had questions, he kept safe distance. The man who wakes up when she tells him too so she won’t get upset. The guy who picks her up when her searches span till the late nights.

 

She never knew a human can interest her like this. She saw alot of pretty fascinating stuf fin her lifetime, but Kwon Jiyong is on a league of his own.

 

“ Thanks CL. I am just nervous. Okay? I am going to say it, i am in nervous. I mean, what was i thinking?” he wrings her hands and CL tries to keep him clam by handing him a glass of juice and fanning him with her hands. “ why did i ever think that this mad arrangement will make everything right? Jia likes thing simple. She’s a minimalist, what the hell was i thinking?”

 

He is seriously panicking and CL cannot help but think that he looks cute like this. She stops herself from saying it, it’s not the right thing to say. GD looks fairly unstable now and about to breakdown.

 

“ Look, GD. Any girl would love this. Every girl dreams of this and i can tell you- even in the magical world. They all go crazy with romantic gestures like this,” she says and GD visibly relaxes at that. “ trust me. No matter how smart or how bizarre her taste is. I mean, Ji. It’s you. You know each other, none of this will matter to here just as long as you are her date. ”

 

She offers and mentally smacks herself. When did she become a love adviser? But GD needed this. If GD is happy and so is she.

 

“ okay fairy princess, i believe you. I will face this, head on!” he shouts and CL pumped her fists in the air in a dance and cheered GD on.

 

“ now! Now! And don’t worry, i will wait  up for you. But you have to text me if you are not going home and you know-” she looks slyly at GD who blushes.

 

“ you are a damn ert! And here i was thinking you are a prim and proper fairy princess.  ” he jokes.

 

“ that is the human side of me you know! ” she defends and GD just smiles.

 

It’s 8pm and Jia is coming.

 

This is it.

 

//

 

“ this is- this is- I- ”

 

Jia is speechless and GD cannot help but feel smug about this. CL was right, he thinks. Jia loved it. She is impressed.

 

“ am I ruining all the past dates you’ve had in your life?” he asks and Jia smiles at him.

 

“ let’s see, shall we?” she says and GD pulls the chair for her to sit down.

 

The first course is there and they both dig in. Clearly starving and a bit tired because of the day they had.

 

“ how’s the cafe? Sorry i haven’t been there for awhile.”

 

“ it’s okay, i know you worked on an EP! That’s amazing by the way and i am excited for you and TOP. ” she offers and GD nods.

 

“ let’s hope it gets the attention of some companies. That’s all.” He downplays and steers the conversation to some other things. She talks about her families and her co-workers. She also talks about the other artists she met at this seminar.

 

It was easy and nerve wracking like he expected. Well, ofocurse it’s not. They were catchin up, they have done this all the time. They are in the safe zone, the friends zone and eh should steer them away from that tonight. That is the plan, isn’t it? He tells himself. But she just look s so carefree and genuinely happy that he does not change the subject.

 

“ how about that cousin of yours? And your uncle?” she says, “ oh god! That’s rude of me, that was a really important trip, i should have called to ask. ”

 

“ CL is staying with us,  it’s the city and she’s – yeah- and my uncle was really nice. It was okay.” He says and feels uncomfortable. No. He cannot think about his other life and what he is supposed to do into this. Just, no.

 

“ I am happy to hear that, you were never big on relatives and now you have them. One, living in your house. I am sure minji is loving it, having a girl in the house.”

 

“ tell me about it, she is torturing CL by making her try on her clothes. ”

 

He doesn’t know why their conversation suddenly took that turn but he isn’t complaining. Not at all. It is still safe ground and they are on the main course. He plans on saying the serious things by the time desert ends and they dance.

 

“  this is amazing Ji, thank you. ”

 

GD feels giddy at that. The date continues with more eating, smiling at each other, laughing, talking and reminiscing.  The night continued and desert went by. Finally, it was time for the dance that he waited for. This is it.

 

They take a few sways and he can almsot feel his heart trying to beat out of his chest.

 

“ hey, are you okay?” Jia asks. “ you look flushed.”

 

“ no, it’si look. Jia, i have to tell you something.” They both stop dancing and suddenly, this is the moment he waited for. It all comes down to this. “ You are important to me Jia, you really are. And that first day i saw you, in that princess dress of yours, remember?”

 

Jia rolled her eyes, she always said she hated that dress.

 

“ it was the start and it never stopped. You were there for me. We know almost everything there is to know about each other Jia. And that’s not normal, that’t not what friends do. This, what i’m feeling for you- it’s different.”

 

“ JI- Look,” Jia cuts in but GD does not allow her.

 

“ Just let me finish okay? I love you. I love you Jia. I always did. You are all there is for me. ”

 

There he said it.

 

The first chill in the air gets to him as he sees the sad look on Jia’s face. And, what was that? Guilt?  

 

“ ji, look, this night is fantastic and any girl-” she trails off but GD does not hear any of it. He is used to heartache and being abandoned but this is the worst pang he has ever felt yet. He thought that he is used to this emotion now, but sadly, this isn’t the phantom pain that your heart is being ripped apart was there and it would not go away. This is real pain. Right now, his heart felt like it was thrown inside a room full of glass shards. All he has was wounds. All those sufferings from when he was young. They were all old scars. And now, it’s like the scars are forced open. She is speaking, stumbling over her words. It is hard for her as well, isn’t it?

 

He cannot comprehend her words for his ears are blaring with the silence of rejection. His heart feels like it shut down and the adrenaline in his entire body was gone. Draining and Leaving him like a withered leaf. He always thought dramas were exagerrated, but now he feels they were all bull at acting. Those actors did not cry enough.

 

Suddenly, he is tired. He is so tired now. He catches words from her.

 

“ you are a good friend, ”

 

“ we can still be friends, Ji. We have known each other for so long and i love you. But not in that way.”

 

“ i am seeing this man, for a few months now. ”

 

“ don’t be mad.”

 

“ I did not mean to hurt you, ”

 

Bull. He always hears that sentiment, i did not mean to hurt you. It was what her mother said about his father, that he did not mean to hurt them. What that bully who stole his bike said in a mischievous tone. Everyone who hurt him told him the exact same words. And as he thinks about it now, everyone who was supposed to love and protect him turned out to be theone who hurt him the most. Irony.

 

They did not mean it? Ofcourse they did. Deep down, they knew that they will hurt him but they did it anyway. Their words and apology hold no bearing with him.

 

He stares at her, at Jia. The love of her life and he does not even recognize her anymore. Who is this stranger infront of him? And who is he? What is he doing? Laying his heart out like an idiot. There was a reason he never confessed his feelings. His heart was not for anyone to see.

 

He is reminded of why that was.

 

“ Please, GD. Say something. JI, Jiyong”- she tells him and he snaps out of his haze.

 

“ Leave me alone. ” was all he could say and Jia pulls him into an embrace but he does not respond at all.

He stands there for minutes, maybe hours and just stares at his feet and sees the rose petals and the candles. He hears a man tell him that they will be fixing the place up and he just nods and says yes. Was it his destiny to never be happy?

 

Maybe for someone like him whose strongest childhood memory is death and abandonement- to wish for something is trivial as happiness was too much. He glances at his watch and it’s late. He does not have the energy to even drive at all.

 

Time passes and he lies down, looking at the stars. He remembers as a kid when he pleaded for one of the stars to fall down.

 

“ Please fall down,” he whispers and he means it.

 

Footsteps approach him and he does not mind. A figure sits down beside him and speaks up.

 

“ didn’t go so well?” It’s CL.

 

“ What are you doing here?” he asked. He seriously did not need CL in here right now. What would she think? If he can’t get a girl to like her, how can he help her find her mother? Or even hide herself from the fairy guards or whatever.

 

“ the one you asked to fix the setting and organize this called Minji, he told us what happened and said you might need a ride home.” She explains.

 

“ but you don’t know how to drive.” He retorts.

 

“ i took the bus to get here, and you have to drive us back home with your car. You cannot say no to me. I am your fairy princess after all. So, ” She says slyly and GD can’t help but smile at that. She’s learning.

 

“ that- you are. ” he replies and sits up, finally meeting CL’s eyes. It is only now that he realized how expressive her eyes are.

 

“ what did she say?”

 

“ she does not love me that way- and she has – i mean, she’s been seeing this other guy.” He says calmly.

 

“ oh. Well, that ,”

 

“ tell me about it.” He looks down at his clothes and removes his ridiculous suit jacket. “ You know what? I knew she did not feel the same way. I always knew that she did not think of me that way.”

 

“ but then why did you do all of these? ” CL gestured all over the place, pointing at the grass and the entirety of the open garden.

 

“ I had to try. Humans do that you know, they cannot rest until they have tried. We have this saying, try and try until you succeed. ” he relates and CL looks interested. “ I hoped that if i tried enough you know, she’ll change her mind and loved me back. Like in work, when i do it very well – then i get promoted. If i practiced more in dance, i will get better. If i practiced and did more rap verses and studied more techniques- i will be better. It all went well. Except for this, I thought that if i loved her enough- if i loved her to the best i can then that will be enough. I forgot; ” he stopped and clenched his fists. He is warring with himself. Either to mentally beat himself up for being oh so stupid or giving hismelf a round of applause. “ I forgot that love was for two people. Love is not a solitary matter.”

 

“ She has to love you back, ” CL added.

 

“ there are not stars out tonight,” GD suddenly says as he gazed up the sky and tried to change the subject. There are really but a few, how he hoped there were more to keep him company.

 

“ Oh, then let’s make more.”

 

With a flick of her hands, the few stars started to twinkle rather comically. Before GD knew it, star-like figures surrounded both of them. Little lights that looked so far way to touch but very near as well. He started at it in delight and tried to touch each one of them but they seemed farther away no matter what he tried.

 

“ no one has ever done something like this for me before,” GD said and turned her, “ you just ruined every gift that will ever be given to me.” He jokes and CL smiles at that. If only he could hear her thoughts, she will do everything that he asks- if only it meant he will be happy once more. There was something particularly rewarding with helping a human and knowing that she is capable of said emotions. Or maybe, it’sjust with GD?

 

“ oh, i just thought this would be perfect for your your pity party.” She relates in a casual tone. Complete uncaring if he is sad, because clearly- GD does not need someone to his wounds for him. What he needs is someone who will punch him and push him right back up.

 

“ this is a great pity party, i have you know.” He smiles and looks at the the celestial bodies all around him.

 

No words were said for a minute or two. They both headed towars the car and proceeded for the trip back home. Both quiet, trying to think about other things. CL breaks the tension by giving some good news.

 

“ oh! I finally found a lead on my mother and it’s very promising,” she says and GD’s mood is lifted.

 

“ oh, finally. Some good news!”

 

“ Yes. This woman, she knows my mother and she rented an apartment in her building. Turns out, my mom still owes her and she still has stuff in that apartment. My mom said she will come back after a month to pay and get her things cause she had to go abroad for a short teaching stint.” She relates and she is giddy with the prospect of a solid lead. “ the tennant could not give me more details though. Because it’s confidential and my mom is pretty well-known. ”

 

“ so, you have to wait a month to see your mom?” he asks,

 

“ Yes. Imagine? A month?  I would have to stay at your house though or visit uncle heechul and probably do some research on what they did to my mother.”

 

“ that’s great, i am happy for you.”

 

They look up the lights that surround them once more and enjoy the comfortable silence. It was not lost on GD, the fact that magical lights always happen to bring them together. Extraordinary circumstances.

 

“ we always defy logic to come together.” He says out of nowehere and CL looks at him, question clear in her eyes.

 

“ what do you mean?”

 

“ this, and the fairylights. It’s like, we have to bend and shake all the rules of the universe for the two of us.” His words flow out fluidly. Like, he is unconscious of the words out of his mouth but somehow he is sure that this is exactly what he wants to say.

 

CL understands it and she stays silent. Ofcourse. A human and a Fairy. They defied the laws of the universe when they first met.

 

//

 

She stares at him sleep and she fights the urge to stare some more and maybe, sleep right next to him. He is hurt. She can see it. She knows that the physical pain can be cured and will pass, but this pain will never go way. There is fear in her heart, that this man will never give his heart to anyone after this.

 

She had seen ailment in human hospitals and even in the realm. They get better, the yhave their family and medication to ease the pain. With a wound, you know what to cover. You know the exact place to tape the plaster on or what part to guard. There is a specificity if pain. ‘this one place hurts, this tiny part. But not the rest of my body’. But with this sadness, this pain of the heart. It was different. You are aching all over. You don’t know where to put the bandage on. No leaking blood that can be taped up. Nothing. Universal Pain.  ‘ The pain is consuming me, please help.’

 

“ please smile for me,” she whispers and relaxes when he does not stir.

 

She leaves and makes way to her room. The floorboards are getting weaker. Almost falling apart. Minji joked that this is an ancient house, that’s the reason. GD even told her that he will have it fixed. But she knows it’s not the house that has a problem.

 

Her secret is becoming a problem to her. The burst of powers are settling but the air in this world is not good for her, she cannot fair well. She needs to talk to heechul soon and find a way to prolong her stay on earth. And then this human, this man who disproves her beliefs. It was a myth, isn’t it? The legend of the fairylights.

 

Love grows in time. It does not spring out of nowhere and because of some coincidence or a string of events. She tries to be logical but fails as her heart doubles up in pace when he rolls over the other side of the bed and continues to sleep.

 

She wanted nothing more than to hold him close and protect him. Wanted to see him smile once more and be the star he always wanted to be. She wants to kiss him and pull him close.

 

The last thought shakes her core and she hurries to leave the room. She can handle this, one month of ignoring this feeling. She will endure.

 

I think I love you Kwon Jiyong. I am so glad you cannot read minds. I think i do. 

=======

A/N.

1. Ugh! this chapter is kinda long. this was finished last week, but last night, i opened the file and added some bits here and there and edited it. so, it turned out longer than the original. I hope you like this chapter as much as i did.

2. Thank you for your comments and the lovely subscribers for this fic. Please help this story grow by advertising it on your site like tumblr or livejournal. i am only posting this here and at the skydragon forum. so, Your kind words for this story will certainly help it. thank you.

3. Chapter vi : Legends come to haunt you will be released on January 22, 2012 ; See you then! 

- Faye! :]