vii - We are Beautiful, We are Doomed

Fairylights

 

CL could not concentrate on listening to Minji talk about her recent lunch date with a classmate.  She could her words and little snippets like the guy is someone from a club meeting and he has a good taste in fashion. Her eyes are fixed on minji but her mind wanders. Half of her is worried where GD went and what he did. She should have been more cautious with her words, he looked so happy today with the release of the physical cd of his EP and she ruins it by telling the truth.

 

But that is all she can think of, GD is a soul catcher and they are known links to human and non human beings. If there is someone who can bridge her and her mother, it would have to be him. Can’t she be selfish just this once? Isn’t a reunion with her mother the main reason she came in this world? So, why does she feel bad and why does she have the urge to preserve GD’s innocence. Forget about her original mission. GD is  top priority.

 

“ He was really nice, he told me he had been watching me before- you know, in the school hallway. It was pretty creepy, but really –wasn’t it a bit sweet?” Minji relates as she passes her a picture of them together, taken from a polaroid camera.

 

“ what do you think? ”

 

“ he looks really cute and he looks a bit older than you, which is good. He looks responsible.” CL states, smiling encouragingly at Minji.

 

“ Yes, he is a year older than me but he is just so smart. He reminds me a bit of jiyong, cause he takes care of everyone. plus he has a sense of duty. He doesn’t go around and just party for the sake of getting wasted--”

 

CL tried to smile at the lengthy speech Minji kep on saying about his new apparent boyfriend. She remembers the look on his face. The betrayal in his eyes, the confusion that everything in life is not what it seems. She was faced with a similar fate at six years old. But this is different. GD lived his life for so long thinking that he is a normal human.

 

He should be angry at her. She came waltzing in his life and then everything went downhill from there. She could not blame him from walking out. Maybe she should leave? Nevermind the bond.  She cannot bare destroying his life. Even if he gets a wish in the end. All of this may not be worth it at all.

 

“ and – hey , are you okay?” Minji calls out and she shrugs .

 

“ yes, i’m fine. I just had- ”

 

Minji eyes her, “ Where is Ji? He is supposed to be here, i bought him a present for his ep. I actually saw it at the store. Like, 5 copies only- but it was awesome.”

 

“ we actually listened to the record together, it was amazing.” CL said and tried to smile.

 

“ where is he? It’s 7pm. It’s still so really for a bar celebration. Even for teddy,” she whined and stood up, taking a bag of gifts with her.

 

“we had a bit of a misunderstanding,” CL finally said. She cannot just keep it in. She is becoming worried. Well ofcourse, she wants the idea that GD just went by to TOP or teddy’s place and got drunk to even care. But she had a feeling that something has gone terribly wrong.

 

“ what do you mean? Was he being annoying again?” minji huffed.

 

“ no, i said something and - ”

 

“ uh! Honestly, i will talk to him. He is not used to someone taking care of him or ordering him around,” Minji came to her side, looking all sympathetic and supportive.

 

“ it’s nothing like that-” she refuses to say more and simply says, “but he walked out. and,”

 

“ he does that, give him time to cool off then he will come back and you can talk to him better. Usually, he just realizes how much of an idiot he is.”

 

CL relaxes at that. What does she know about humans? Really? Maybe that’s what they do when a fairy pisses them off. She should stay calm and get ready to talk to him when he comes back. This time, she will be ready. She will say sorry and tell him the truth. The month is close to being over and her mother will just be within reach.

 

Why does she feel like the end of a long race is coming? The finish line.

 

“ Look, don’t worry. Okay? Whatever it was, GD will get around to it. He’s not really the type to keep grudges or be mad for a long time. Plus, he likes you. ” Minji offers and CL’s heart hopes stupidly at that.

 

“ i just – he won’t even answer his phone. I think he turned it off. ”

 

“ he does that too, when he wants to think. To really think.”  

 

CL finally concedes and makes her way to the kitchen. All the groceries she bought were left untouched since their argument. She had to forget the feleing that something is wrong, this is  different place and her power is not stable- maybe that is why she is having these feelings. Minzy comes over and picks up an apple but almost drops it as someone rings on the door.

 

“ maybe that’s him.” She offers and CL braces herself. That was too quick she haven’t even figured out what to say just yet.

 

“ Teddy oppa!”

 

She hears Minji greet the person at the door and she scurries towards them. Teddy looked really pleased and was asking for GD.

 

“ TOP is with his sister celebrating so i did not intrude, but where is gd? I have really good news. ”

 

“ oh, he went out for awhile. ” Minji said nonchalantly and led teddy to wards the kitchen, handing him an apple as well.

 

“ what? Already partied it up without me?” teddy complained and CL’s stomach plummeted.

 

“ Oh, No. Not that, I – we had- some sort of argument and he wwalked out.” CL exclaimed naturally, like this was no big deal and no one should mind her. Teddy narrowed his eyes.

 

“ he walked out? Ah- I am gonna teach him some manners when he comes back.” Teddy says and bit on his apple.

 

“ what’s the good news anyway?” Minji asks.

 

Teddy’s eyes lit up and he looks at both of them , gauging their anticipation.

 

“ yah! You two girls are supposed to be all a fangirl of jiyong!”

 

“ we are!” Minji shouted. “ I am, I bought his record digitally and , i am saving up for that physical copy.”

 

“ Okay, but haven’t you been on the internet lately?” both of them shrugged and teddy rolled his eyes. Honestly, these two women are his least favorite people now. “ so, you can aslo help GD by talking about him online. Like, building a blog about him and stuff like that. Just to get his name out. ”

 

“ Oh, I know what you mean! Like those fancafes,” Minji said.

 

“ Yes, but i don’t think you don’t have to. With just three days of release, the internet is buzzing about them. I knew they were good looking and talented. But damn1 the public is eating them” CL flinched at that, would that be good? Too much exposure, at a very early rate?

 

“ message boards are filled with stuff about them. And! Their song, LIES- Just entered the top 10 in allmusic sites.” Teddy added,

 

“are you serious?” Minji answered and CL knew that was giood. Music charts were good, but she can’t seem to feel elated right now. GD hsould be the one hearing this news, he should be the freaking out about it and jumping up and down.

 

“ that is wonderful! I mean, no one. No independent label gets to the chart, even at top 10.” Minji says, almost to herself.

 

“” I know, I know, and that’s not the best part yet.” He exclaims, practically jumping in excitement now. He cannot really believe it as well. He had been lobbying for two artists to any producer he knew. But they were not interested. They were not how a duo should like.

 

“ someone agreed to meet with them and it’s not yet decided, but i am pretty sure- they will get signed. This man, this company does not meet any artists in person just to get to know thm and drink tea,”

 

He supplies and Minji cries out,

 

“ for sake, WHO?”

 

“ YG ENTERTAIMENT.”

 

“oh my god!” Minji dances around and CL proceeds with the celebration as well. She is not fmailiar with agencies, but it looks really good as evidenced by their reactions.

 

“ Jiyong should come home now, he needs to hear this.” CL states.

 

“ I cannot call him, i actually tried before coming over here.” Teddy said.

 

“ oh, he does that when he is thinking. Don’t worry, he will come back.” Minji said and the two of them proceeded talking. CL catches their words as she proceeded to her room and and tried to change her clothes and think about what she said to GD.

 

“ I am so happy that agency got them,”

 

“ their personality fits the agency. Different and they can have all the freedom they want.”

 

“ can you tell me the address of that fancafe? I want to post pictures of Ji when we were kids.”

 

“ guess, i can be famous now as well. As his sister and stuff like that! ”

 

“ I worked for YG, he will like GD & TOP. I know he wants something new”

 

The words wash over her like a blanket that guided her to safety. But that is all they are, words. Empty words. Nothing concrete and she could not take it anymore. Maybe this world made her more emotional. She hates it when people she loves leave her. She only has a handful of people close to her heart and she won’t let them go.

 

“ I am going out.” She says and minji looks at her questioningly.

 

“ it’s not your fault, he will come back. Once he hears this, he will surely forget what you guys argued about in the first place. ”

 

She smiles and tells them that she won’t be long, it seems like she needs a walk as well. They say yes, trying to sotp her at all costs at the last minute bus she refuses to stop on her tracks. Their mailbox is open and she peers inside, knowing bills and brochures will only be the things in there. She fishes out a white envelope with an elegenat script written on it.

 

To the Fairy Princess, Her royal highness, Ciel.

 

Gripping it tightly and tearing it apart, she quickly reads the rest of the letter.

 

My beloved lady Ciel,

 

It has come to my attention that you and your lovely league of s have been tailing me for awhile. You see, i came in this world on my own- my own decision. So please stop meddling in my life. My parents don’t even look for me, why would you?

They say it’s because of the business i chose in this world.

Do not take it personally. As you may know, everyone in this world is already evil, so what may a dash of evil do worst right?

It’s not like i am corrupting them,

I am just participating.

Joining in. Fitting in. Adapting. Sure you understand that, as you are also on a similar state. inside a human’s house. Living a human life and becoming the little rebel. I didn’t know you had it in you.

This is simple.

Get your soulcatcher in here and promise me that the league will not follow me again. Or else, I will kill him. The clock is ticking my lady. Hurry.

 

Kim Jonghyun( the leprechaun you are assigned to hunt down and bring in. As if that will happen)

 

CL clutched the letter close and realized that he early thoughts are true. There is something wrong in the picture. That bastard leprechaun couldn’t just keep quiet? She’s not even folllowing him or anything like that.

 

GD is in trouble. She shudders at the thought. The collision of her duty as a fairy and as a human is right infront of her. Jonghyun is a wise being, not only because he is a leprechaun but moreso of the fact that he is hardwired to manipulation. She is not ignorant about him, she knows the facts and she read the research.

 

All alone.

 

//

 

“ Finally.” Jonghyun huffed as his assistant came in the one person he wants to see at this very moment. He is a very busy man. He deals with petty thieves and rich lords everyday. His planning schedule is a mess and he either feigns interest or is a little amused at anyone who is trying to negotiate with him. But this one is different. An actual magical realm royalty, visiting him on her own free will. Well, not really. But he can imagine.

 

Watching her walk over to him and look around the place, he offers his best smile and stands up to take a bow.

 

“ always a pleasure to serve royalty.” He sneers and CL can only bow back- a sign that she is prepared to negotiate. That they are equals in this field.

 

“ where is he” is the first words from and jonghyun can sense the determination.

 

“come along my lady, ”

 

Walking towards a room with a crimson-door entrance, CL felt a shift in her power. Like a seal placed on a leaking hole. A big box that suddenly encased them. She looked over at jonghyun who was busy opening switchlights and the room illuminated.

 

Infront of her is GD. Blindfolded and tied in a chair.

 

“ who’s there?” He asks, voice shaking.

 

“ It’s me. ” CL says softly as she comes closer.

 

“ Your princess savior has come for you.”

 

The words hit GD’s ear and he suddenly feels the guilt wash over him. If only he did not step out of the house. If he tried to understand more. If he wasn’t so damn stubborn, then they wouldn’t be in this situation. He could not see anything, but he is almost thankful of that fact. Right now, he could not bare to look at CL. This leprechaun it does not take a genius to know that she doesn’t stand a chance. Not because she is less powerful. But because the git plays dirty tricks.

 

“ the league is no longer in my control,” CL opens the conversation and faces jonghyun.

 

“ what do you mean? Because of that little stunt you did? Did your father abandon your or something?”

 

“ They are looking for me as well. But, i do not have control over them anymore. I am trying my best to hide. To not be seen.”

 

Jonghyun’s lips curled into a small smile.

 

“ so you mean, you are like me now? A freak of the magical realm.”

 

“ She will never be like you!” GD managed to call out and CL turned to face him. She wants to run to him and just escape. But this will be impossible. She does not have the leverage to get him out. But she can suggest a fair fight.

 

“ how foolish of you then, to come here and think that i will hand this soulcatcher to you.” The words were intended as an insult and challenge. She does nto refuse a challenge and she steps up.

 

“ I know, that is why i am proposing for a duel.”

 

A duel.

 

GD registered the words in his head. Duel. That cannot be right. This is all out of control. What happened to him taking care of CL and helping her? She is a princess, not a knight who rescues flimsy musicians from leprechauns.

 

“ CL, No.” GD states but his plea fell on deaf ears.

 

“A duel, how noble. ” he responds with a flourish and takes out a gun. “ couldn’t expect less from royalty.”

 

CL takes her stand. She works well with a sword as well. But now, she has to rely on her fairy magic.

 

“why don’t we let your human watch , ”

 

The blindfold suddenly drops and for a moment, their eyes locked. GD wanted to say run, run far away from here and save yourself. But it was a futile plea. CL is set to save him from this captivity. A silent conversation.

 

“begin” CL says finally and with a swing of her arms and the same concentration on her fists, she pushes forward. But there is something terribly wrong. Nothing is coming out. No light. No power. No urge.

 

 

“anything wrong?” Jonghyun flourishes, as he points the gun directly at her.

 

“ what is this place?” CL asked calmly, trying to hide her alarm. She has no power, this will go terribly wrong.

 

“ no use for your fairy magic, isn’t it?” he smiled and looked over at GD, who is clueless. “you see this room is different. I bribed some friends of mine to create a force field that dampens fairy magic.”

 

CL cannot believe it. How far can this leprechaun go? If he has the power to block the power of a fairy with this room? She should have captured him before, with the league. This should stop, but right now, she is just powereless and Jonghyun clearly has the upperhand.

 

“ impressive isn’t it?” he says and his gun.

 

“ why do you have to do this? The league will stop hunting you if you stop using the realm’s power to corrupt the humans.” She reasons out,

 

“ but, shouldn’t they be proud of me ? how i use our fathers power to enslave the humans?” his grip does not relax, his target is clear.

 

“ proud? There is a reason why we are separated from the humans-”

 

“ nonsense! Look at you! A half human! ”

 

“ but i do not intend to hurt them- ” she replies.

 

“ you do not? So why drag this human soulcatcher in the mix? You are smarter than i gave you credit for. Who knew? Soulcatchers still exist.”

 

“ i didn’t know - ”

 

Jonghyun is getting irritated. If the league will still follow him, he will not be able to continue his operations and even expand. And this princess is no help. The soulcatcher is clueless. But he can still get one thing from this. Blood.

 

Pointing his gun towards CL, he fires it wihtout hesitation. The bullet pierced through her right arm and she collapses. GD falls over his chair as he tries to get up and rush to her. To no avail, they both fail at trying to comfort each other. A hopeless case. Jonghyun admires his work and reaches over to GD, Pushing him aside wuickly and produces a small bottle in his hand.

 

“ i have always wanted one,” he smirks and squeezes the wound produced by the bullet. It did not lodge inside and so a clear cut is evident.

 

Drops of blood are squeezed out and CL wailed in pain while GD struggled. He cannot move as he would like because of all the binding.

 

 

“ oh, don’t be angry! You both wasted my time! So i need to get a fairy royalty’s blood. Someone told me that this is a good thing to have.” He explains to GD.

 

“ you are sick and vile,” GD says to him.

 

“thank you for the compliment, i try my best.”

 

With that, he closes the bottle and squeezes the wound more. CL tries to stop herself from screaming. This pain, this pain is almost human. With her power tampered like this. Hoping that someone will come, she needed someone to come and save GD.

 

The door closes and GD looks at CL, horrified. So much blood. Too much blood. Even the smell of death is all around the air.

 

“ CL, CL, Look at me. ” GD calls out and struggles to come to her side. “ Look, im sorry. I shouldn’t have gone out the house or- god, i was such an .” He says almost to himself. With his hands and feet bound, he can do nothing more.

 

“ if i wasn’t connected to you, you could have been celebrating today,” she answered back.

 

“ what? No. I was wrong, god, how can we get out? That bastard is clrealy nuts, i didn’t know your world has psychos as well” he replies, trying to joke and make light of the situation.

 

“ he is- i should have tracked him down before i went AWOL.” Her voice is raspy and her bretah is panting. Her wound is not fatal, but the blood loss might take a number on her if they do not get out quick enough.

 

“ I am sorry, don’t worry. I will fix this. ” GD said finally and CL turned and looked at him. How did she even think for a second that it was easy to not feel anything for this man? He is scared. Yes he is and why shouldn’t he be? But his mask of determination is clear. How wrong is this situation? He should be at home, getting ready for a party. Preparing himself for a contract signing. Not this.

 

Just before all hope was gone, she hears an umistakeable sound. The league is here. She thinks and the door bursts open. Heechul.

 

“ heechul! ” GD calls out and the latter comes towards CL.

 

“ I told you, ” he hisses and CL smiles.

 

“ i will not die from this, the leprechaun charmed this room to prevent my power.” She explains, clearly irritated of how much heechul is worrying. “wait, the league really did listen to you?”

 

“ hyunjoong was far gone when i told him you are in danger.”

 

Hyunjoong.

 

Two more came in and GD was suddenlt thankful as they cut him loose but proceeded to hold him in place. As if taking him to custody. They did not look any different. They were just wearing well-tailored suits.

 

As they leave the room, he sees the entire property empty.

 

“ the leprechaun escaped,”  a man shouts and GD studied him. He has the same aura as CL, probably someone from royalty. He gazes at GD and he looks away.

 

“ is that the vile human?” he spats and CL moves to shield him.

 

“ Hyunjoong, he has nothing to do with this. I forced him.” She says and GD wanted to say something, but heechul motioned for him to shut up.

 

“ CL, what the hell are you thinking? A human? You know I will help you and find your mother, ” he says in a softer tone. Almost caring, GD has the sudden inkling that this man loves CL or propbably hoped that she felt the same way. It was clear in his gestures and the fire in his eyes. His hands travel towards CL’s shoulder and it healed. GD blinked a few times, it was clearly gone.

 

“ thank you, please-”

 

“ CL, whatever you are doing. It is frowned upon,” Hyunjoong replies and moves CL so he is standing infornt of GD.

 

“ D o you know who we are human?”

 

“ My name is kwon jiyong, ” he retorts.

 

“ Hello Jiyong, you can call me hyungjoong. Now, my question.”

 

“ You are from the league. A group , like- royal guards.” He answered back.

 

“ not like, we are the royal guards. ” he reiterates and tried to study the human more.

 

“ I think you tricked CL and i don’t know how. But you did, you tricked her into giving you a wish-”

 

GD’s blood boiled at that testament. No. He is not that kind of person, and who is he to accuse him of such thing?

 

“ stop, i said, it’s myfault, i suggested it.” CL cut in but she was not given the chance to talk further.

 

“ you get no say in this CL, You might be the princess but you are in trouble.”

 

CL kep quiet after that. She cannot disagree wiht hyunjoong, he is a childhood friend and doing her a big favor by coming here.

 

“ what do you want?” GD asked,

 

“ I want you to make an oath,” he responds.

 

“easy enough,”

 

“ Hey! Boys, let us not rush into this. Hyunjoong, you are forgetting, a bond won’t be made if one of them was coerced.” Heechul explained but Hyunjoong was not having any of it.

 

“ I am not taking advice from a felon.” He says forcefully and he looks around the room. “ if anyone of you wants to object with what i want, speak now.”

 

Silence.

 

“ very well,” he turns back to GD.

 

“ WHAT DO YOU WANT.”

 

“ This oath will take effect after CL grants your wish and you have fulfilled your end of the bargain. ” he starts. “ you see, the reason why i am doing this is because humans have the tendency to abuse the magical people they befriend. ”

 

“ corrupt them,” GD offers.

 

“ indeed. So, what i am proposing is, when the mission is done. You, along with everyone who knows CL will be given a handy memory fix.”

 

“ You mean i will be made to forget everything. Amnesia.” GD says in a flat tone.

 

“exactly.”

 

He looks at CL and Heechul who looked clearly defeated.

 

“ Yes. Yes, i will take the oath.”

 

“ well played human. ”

 

Hyunjoong smiles at him and turns to the other five members of the league.

 

“ that’s all?” GD asked, he was waiting for some light or magic from hyunjoong. But they jusrt exchanged a verbal promise and some witnesses. 

 

“ Yes. That is all, i will come for you, the rest of the league and I will come for you when the time comes.”

 

He bid farewell and as the full moon shone on the sky, the two of them, GD and CL and are left alone.

 

//

GD's POV

I left her to fend for herself as she insisted. This is getting bigger than what i can handle on my own. I went into this bond with my gut instinct. I had a feeling that she needed me and who am i to deny that to her? I can help. I am capable. But now, she told me i am different. A soul catcher. Questions about my past that i never even asked.

 

What started as her personal journey is becoming my own.

 

And i have a feeling that this will not end well.

 

I will be okay, I say this to myself as i look at my clock tick like it always did. I watch my window, the same dust collected. My sheets are the same. Everything is still the same except for me. Somehow, i transformed over the course of the past days. Even the news of YG ENT signing me felt empty.

 

I will forget everything after CL’s mission is over. That will be the light at the end of the tunnel. After that, I will come back to my life and be the kwon jiyong i should be. The thought gnaws at me. It is a solution and the cowards’ way. But i already said yes.

 

Everything will be fine. I will come back to who I was.

 

But why doesn't that feel right?

--

A/N:

1. This was hard to write, cause my concentration was divided. but i pushed through. and it's coming to a close. we only have one more chapter and then the epilogue. as you can see, there is no established "realtionship" yet between the two of them. I have noticed that as well, they are just on a pre-relationship. which makes me think that I SHOULD make a sequel. but it still depends. if the muse and inspiration will come, why not. or maybe, i should just whack myself to write more.

2. Thank you for the comments help me by sharing this fic with your friends.

3. next update is FEB 2, which is my birthday! <3 bring gifts!