Runner 6

Run to You

For a couple of days, I don’t go to see Youngjae sunbae. I need time to manage my heart as I know now I’ve fallen in love with him.

“Yoo Youngjae? You mean Youngjae sunbae from 12A as your model?” Minjung’s eyes widen as I say that Youngjae sunbae is my model for our class’ event.

I nod. “What’s wrong?” I say confusedly.

She shakes her hands repeatedly, “No, it just… it’s Yoo Youngjae that we speak about”

I frown feeling more confused. “I don’t understand”

“He’s one of the best runner from our school, right?” Minjung says the fact that I’ve already known. “So, you have to show us the best aura… the best image from him, I think it’s really burden for me if I take it. It just, you know sometimes people will judge us based on what we choose but it doesn’t mean it’s a wrong idea to ask him as the model but with all bad rumors about him…”

“What rumors?”

Minjung told me about the accident that made Youngjae sunbae had to be absent for almost 6 months but strangely he didn’t get any penalty or sanction from the school. She says it’s because he’s dating the headmaster’s daughter.

“What are you talking about?” I start to upset of what Minjung says to me.

“He’s dating our headmaster’s daughter, Jung Eunji. That’s why he doesn’t get any penalty or else from our school for absence for almost 6 months even though he’s just a student too, like us. But if he doesn’t date her, I bet he’ll be expelled right after he coming back, don’t you think so?”

That’s it. I abruptly stand up. I look at her fiercely without saying a word, I’m really holding my anger behind. How can she say something like that?

“Boram, is there something wrong?” my mentor asks me as I see all of my photograph’s friends look at me bewilderedly.

I clench my fists, “I’m sorry Taeoh sunbae, I… I don’t feel well” I say while walking to the door without looking back and leaving my photograph class. I feel upset and sad at once. How can people say something rude like that without finding out what happened actually? How can they just assume some nonsense and make it like a fact… the truth? Then I sigh knowing well that Minjung must be shocked seeing my reaction. But I just can’t keep quiet when hearing it. I keep thinking about what Minjung said, that Eunji unnie is my headmaster’s daughter, so that’s why she can go here as she wants.

I walk lazily as I know I can’t go in to the class today. I stop by the window and look outside. I see Youngjae sunbae practicing running in the field. I frown as I see there’s something wrong about him. He looks lackluster and exhausted. His shoulders drops and his eyes look empty.

Does he know about the rumors about him?

I suddenly have an idea on my head. I take a paper and a pen from my bag, after writing it I take out the bread, chocolate cheese flavor that I bought today but haven’t eaten yet. I run downstairs and look for the vending machine.

Youngjae sunbae, fighting!

Psst, I give you your strength: chocolate cheese bread and pocari

Your photographer

Boram :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day, I go to school, I see Minjung near of the school’s gate. I freeze as I see her but knowing fully I can’t avoid her. I approach her slowly. We both feel awkward suddenly.

“Minjung, I…”

“I’m sorry, Boram” she says interrupts my words, instantly I look at her, “Yesterday I.. I’ve shouldn’t say something like that to you knowing that he’s your model… and besides I don’t know him yet to judge him so rude like that. I… I’m sorry. Can you forgive me?”

I feel her guilty. Deep down in my heart, I know Minjung is not someone who likes to gossip. I take her hands and smile, “It’s ok, I’m sorry too if I made you surprise. I didn’t mean to”

She giggles and squeezes my hands, “So, friend?”. I nod then she hugs me. I chuckle and hug her back. She lets go of me and says she has to go first to her class. I smile and wave at her and feel like a heavy thing off of me.

“Who are you waving at?”

I startle and turn my head quickly, “Gosh sunbae! What are you doing?”

Youngjae sunbae chuckles, “You’re really easy to startle, huh, like yesterday when Inyoung did it to you”

I feel dumbfounded and can’t understand what he’s talking about. But at that time he’s practicing though, how can he know it?

I turn my head to ask but then he quickly says, “Thanks for the gift yesterday, my photographer” he emphasizes the last words. I giggle, “Just call me if you want more”

He smiles widely. I know at that time, I can’t avoid him and I won’t. Even if our relationship just like this, it’s enough for me. Even if I can’t have him, if I could see his smiles everyday, it’s enough for me.

It’s enough for me. I keep the words again and again.

In the hallway, we stop since our class has different directions. “Can you wait for me after class over?” he says while looking at me.

“Uh?” I feel like I’ve misheard it.

“Wait for me after class over today. I don’t have any practicing so I can buy you some ice cream… if you want though”

I stare at him. Is it a dream? Am I dreaming now?

He waves his hand in front of my eyes, “Boram… Earth to Boram, can you hear me?”

I blink my eyes repeatedly, “Ah, sorry sunbae…” . Boram don’t be stupid in front of him, can you? I scold myself.

“So, is that a yes?”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I immediately pack my bag when the class over. I can’t stop myself to smile as I keep his words again and again.

“There, that smile appears again, what’s going on?” Inyoung says confused.

I keep smile, “I’lI see you tomorrow, bye…” I leave Inyoung which is still confused but before she can say anything, Jaebum sunbae comes to our class. I smile at him then turn my head to Inyoung. I give her a smirk  and she just reacts ‘what?’. I leave them and walk happily to the gate.

As I approach the gate, I see Youngjae sunbae who is standing there with three boys who is wearing the same uniform as Eunji unnie. They’re talking about something that I can’t hear clearly but all I can see is their intense staring at Youngjae sunbae. I quickly jog and approach him.

“I’m sorry sunbae, am I late?”

Then I bow slightly at the three boys. The two boys just smirk when seeing me but the boy in the middle just look at me slightly then back to look at Youngjae sunbae. He’s more handsome than the two other boys.

“Oh, you have another girlfriend in your school, huh?”

One of them says while mocking at him. I can feel him tense.

“I don’t know what you will do but what I can make sure is Eunji will come back to me. She just feel sorry for you. Don’t be such a burden, can you?” The boys in the middle says. He gives a sharp look at Youngjae sunbae then signals to his friends to go.

What happened actually?