Runner 1

Run to You

The dinging and the greeting from the cashier doesn’t make her stop. Boram jogs to the food section and finds what make her running to this place. The bread is only left one. She sighs and smiles a bit, but when she tries to reach the bread, it eventually is taken by someone’s hand, not hers.

The boy in front of her stops as he looks at her dumbfounded. Boram can only stares at the bread then at him bewilderedly.

“Do you want this?”

She gets on her mind then straightened up quickly. Feeling embarrassed in front of a stranger, she tries to suppressed it, “Ah, no, it’s okay, you can-”

The boy smiles then gives the bread to her, “It’s okay. You can take it” then he takes the other bread, peanut chocolate flavor, then leaves her alone.

Boram stares at the bread in her hand. But then realizes, that boy is wearing the same uniform as her but why she never sees him before?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

The first subject is math, as you know, it made you have to be focus. Instead I’m just staring at the window to the school’s field. There I see the bread-boy, -the boy that gave me the bread this morning- is running. He pants heavily as the sweats running down his face. As I see the other students in the field, I try to remember what grade they are. Then my mind finds it, the bread boy is in the last year, it means that he’s my sunbae. Again, the same question in my mind appears, why I never see him before?

“Oh, that boy? He’s Yoo Youngjae. He’s in the last year as Jaebum sunbae”. My seatmate and also close friend, Park Inyoung says. I tell her that before going to school, I accidentally bumped to him in a supermarket. Then she also tells me that this bread-boy, is one of athlete from our school. He’s a runner. As I look back at him, a strange feeling reaches me.

“But now is break time, why is he still running?”

Inyoung sighs and looks at the window as well, “It’s because he’s to catch up others, I think…”

I give her a confused face. As she understands me, she continues, “You asks me because you never see him before, right?”

I nodded.

“He got into an accident a few months ago. I don’t know the details but what I’ve heard, his legs got the most impact then he’s to be taken care in the hospital for several months. So, that’s why we never see him. And I think he does what he’s doing now because he’s to catch up others since he comes to our school from the scholarship”

I stare at her disbelief. Then quickly drift my eyes at the school’s field again. There, the bread-boy sits in the middle of the field, pants heavily as one of his friend approaches and gives him a towel. A wide smile comes to his face.

“Where do you know this information?” I ask Inyoung again.

She scoffes then nudges my arm, “Be socialize, Boram”.

I just smile sheepishly at her words. Let me introduce myself first, my name is Jeon Boram, 16 years old. I’m in the first year of high school. And as Inyoung said, I’m the typical who can’t be easily socialize with people, in other words, a quiet person but it doesn’t mean I don’t like making friends, I do, but I think my character who can’t fit well with others. When the first time I came here, I barely could make friends. I can be friend with Inyoung just because she made moves to me first.

“So, will you come to the photography class after this?”

I smile widely. My hobby is photographing. I have a passion just when I have this extracurricular class. Through a photo we can see anything unmoved but can tell something moved. To shorten, a photo can say a million words without having a word to say. And fortunately, my parents support me to this hobby.

Inyoung chuckles seeing my reaction. She has a different class from me. She got a singing class. Well, you’re right, she’s really good at this, especially singing trot songs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Next two month, our school will have a festival to be held to celebrate the school anniversary. As one of the extracurricular class in our school, photography class will join as well. So, as the members, each of us has to prepare a photo. It’s a free theme. Any photo you can share and collect to me before the due date. I will tell you the time in our next meeting, so from now on, just prepare your best photo to take”

“So, what’s your plan?” Lee Minjung, my photography’s friend asks.

I shake my head, “I don’t know”

“I think I just take my cat as the model. I want people to know how cute she is” Minjung says with her lit up face. I smile at her antics.

When I walk out to the school’s gate, I see my watch, it’s already late. I jog to the gate, as I see on my right to the field, there the bread-boy is still running by himself.

Isn’t he tired?

I stop then see the way he’s running, he runs as if his life in that line, his concentrated eyes that you can see when he runs and then his legs, he tries to run as fast as he can to reach the finish line. Inyoung’s words replays again in my head. After a few minutes, he then stops running, sits and sweeps the sweats in his face with a towel in his left hand while his right hand taking a bottle of water and gulps it.

Why the way he’s running is so attractive to me? As if I get some spell, my eyes can only look at him.

He then gets up and stretches his body.

I then get an idea on my head. Smiling, I know who will be my model for the event.