Runner 20

Run to You

Youngjae’s POV

This is the day

I keep repeating the words in my head. I let out a deep breathe as I run in the spot. Try to warm up my body for the nth times right now. I can feel my heart beats so fast and my hands and my legs shaking as the nervousness slowly wraps up my mind. My coach pats my shoulder and says a few words. I don’t even remember what he says as I feel my mind goes blank. I just smile when he pats my shoulder again then goes to another runners. I let my eyes wander to the audience up there. Jaebum is waving his hand then gives me a thumbs up. He slowly lifts a large paper and I can see the bold words which written in it.

YOO YOUNG JAE

FIGHTING!!

I chuckle and give him a thumbs up as well. Inyoung is sitting beside him. She also motions ‘fighting’ with her hand. I smile but it slowly fades as my eyes wander again to all the seats up there and don’t find her.

What’s wrong with me?

I take a deep breathe. It’s okay… It’s okay…

Suddenly Minseok is walking towards me and pats my shoulder, “Youngjae, there’s someone who wants to see you.” I furrow my eyebrows. I don’t know why but I feel a knot in my stomach. It couldn’t be her right? “Who is it?”

But seeing his reaction as if he doesn’t approve of, I think I know who it is.

“Eunji. It’s Jung Eunji.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“How is your feeling?”

I shrug my shoulders, “Afraid, nervous and excited.”

After I declared that our relationship was over, she often came to see me practicing. But every time she came I didn’t really pay attention to her. I knew well her intention to do so, so I just shrugged it off and tried not to over think as the match was more important for me. Even though sometimes I thought that if what had happened never happened or if her father approved us or if I could forget maybe it would have a different story. But that’s not what happen right now. I have chosen this way. I have chosen to bury and close my feelings towards her. It’s not easy at first but I can handle it. I have to. For her and for me.

She chuckles then I can see, she is fiddling with her fingers nervously. “What do you want to say Eunji ya?”

“You don’t mind right I come here to see you?”

I look at her face for a moment. She does a little make up on her face. She is wearing a pair of blue jeans and a white loose shirt. “It’s up to you. I don’t have the right to ask you not to come.”

She nods slowly and repeatedly then smiles. “Yeah I know.” She sounds more cheerful right now. “Good luck Youngjae. I’ve seen how hard you practiced so I know you’ll win.” I smile, “Thanks.” As on cue my coach calls me loudly. “I’ve got to go. Bye…”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A brief ceremony is held for all the participants from the schools. The inter-school match is divided into some of sports branches; and running is one of them. I get in to sprint for 400 m. There are seven schools who sent their student to the 400 m, including me. So I think it will get into one round. In a few minutes, my match will begin. I close my eyes and silently pray in my heart. This will be my last match so I hope I could do the best. It is for myself. For myself.

I open my eyes as I see my surrounding. I don’t know why but I feel the overwhelmed feeling as I touch my cheek wet. I will surely miss this feeling, the track field and the atmosphere. I wipe the tears as suddenly Minseok comes and drags me from my seat.

“Hey, what are you-”

Before I can finish my words, he points his fore finger up to the audiences’ seats. “Look! Over there! she’s here… I told you man, that dongsaeng will come.”

There I see the one that my eyes looking for since then. She has come. Boram has come.